Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Idolmaster series Numerical Classification  (Read 219 times)

zettamax

• Greenhorn
  • うっうー!
    • View Profile
The Idolmaster series Numerical Classification
« on: February 15, 2018, 08:41:25 am »
Hey, I have somewhat of an odd inquiry regarding the console releases of Idolmaster games, so bear with me please. This question is directed at any members of this forum who are intimately familiar with the in's and out's of all the mainline Idolmaster games. I wasn't 100% certain where to post this considering it correlates to all Idolmaster titles (including Stella Stage), so apologies if I posted in the wrong section.

Currently there has only been one numbered entry in the Idolmaster franchise (The Idolmaster 2). The Idolmaster (arcade/ 360) functions as "The Idolmaster 1". It would seem reasonable eventually there will be a proper Idolmaster 3, probably entitled "The Idolmaster 3". Disregarding the eventual announcement of "The Idolmaster 3" how would you guys define each console release from a numerical perspective? Take a look at the two lists below and let me know which you think is more accurate, or if you don't agree with either list, please feel free to provide your own.  I am genuinely interested in what you guys think ^^ (Also, are any of the handheld titles substantial enough to consider them numerical sequels?)

List "A"

The Idolmaster (arcade/ 360) ----------> The Idolmaster 1

The Idolmaster: Live for You (360) -----> The Idolmaster 1.5

The Idolmaster 2 (360/Ps3) -------------> The Idolmaster 2

The Idolmaster: One for All (Ps3) -------> The Idolmaster 2.5

The Idolmaster: Platinum Stars (Ps4) ---> The Idolmaster 3

The Idolmaster: Stella Stage (Ps4) ------> The Idolmaster 3.5

List "B"

The Idolmaster: Live for You (360) -----> The Idolmaster 1.5

The Idolmaster: One for All (Ps3) -------> The Idolmaster 3

The Idolmaster: Platinum Stars (Ps4) ---> The Idolmaster 4

The Idolmaster: Stella Stage (Ps4) ------> The Idolmaster 4.5

darkthunder

• Apprentice
  • STRICTLY A NORMAL HUMAN
    • View Profile
Re: The Idolmaster series Numerical Classification
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:15:24 am »
List A is the closest for the series I think except that Live for you should be a spin off and SP should be 1.5 the same as how shiny fiesta/shiny tv is a spin off of idolm@ster 2. Platinum stars is a 10th anniversary project, it should count as a spin off while stella stage is what platinum stars should have been. So the 3rd installment never exist in reality.

zettamax

• Greenhorn
  • うっうー!
    • View Profile
Re: The Idolmaster series Numerical Classification
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 11:23:05 am »
List A is the closest for the series I think except that Live for you should be a spin off and SP should be 1.5 the same as how shiny fiesta/shiny tv is a spin off of idolm@ster 2. Platinum stars is a 10th anniversary project, it should count as a spin off while stella stage is what platinum stars should have been. So the 3rd installment never exist in reality.

So essentially something like this?

The Idolmaster SP series (Psp) ---------> The Idolmaster 1.5

The Idolmaster: One for All (Ps3) -------> The Idolmaster 2.5

The Idolmaster: Stella Stage (Ps4) ------> The Idolmaster 3

Does the addition of new idols contribute to the way you place these games (Hibiki in Perfect Sun, Takane in Wandering Star, and Shika in Stella Stage) ?

I understand that Platinum Stars was a 10th Anniversary project, and disappointed many fans, but the huge graphical and gameplay overhaul is what leads me to believe it is the next landmark in the Idolmaster series. Stella Stage basically functioning as a "new and improved" refresh to the new standard introduced in Platinum Stars. I have yet to dip my toes into the Ps4 games, but once I get around to it I would definitely opt for Stella Stage over Platinum Stars considering the overwhelmingly negative reception of the latter.

Here's the way I personally see the landmark titles of Idolmaster: