Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1968 times)

Rin

• Apprentice
  • 初めて会った日、覚えてますか?
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: April 08, 2016, 06:46:38 am »
Okay, so I know I'm super late to the iM@S scene, but I figured I'd try things out here at some point since I've learned almost everything there is to know about it.

Personal Info:

Sex: Male
Country of Origin: US
Age (upon joining): 21
Hobbies: iM@S(really?), slowly learning Japanese(I have reason to believe my brother childhood friend wants to go to Japan with me), alt rock(listen to it whenever I'm not listening to Idolmaster music), and I do enjoy a well-made combat-style game

=Q&A=

Q: How did you come across this site?
A: Natural progression, I suppose. Beautiful Katamari intro'd me to the franchise, which led me to the original anime and music, which led me to the wiki, and that took me here.

Q: Why did you join this site?
A: I thought I visit enough(2-3 times per week on average) that I could get away with an account here, and the threads I've been to seemed pleasant enough.

Q: Do you play it?
A: No...

Q: Do you wish you could play it? (Ignore this part if above answer is "Yes")
A: I want to play 2 with all my heart, even though I know I probably would be terrible at first. I have, on the other hand seen several playthroughs, some of which were translated, and a ton of videos of the performances from the first and second main games, as well as OFA and even quite a few remixes and I guess self-releases like この空の下 and Snow Scape. (channels like IBC, Hime Idol, iM@S Videos, and some that aren't even active any more)

Q: Who is your fave idol?
A: Yukiho, hands down. A best.
I even listened to my playlist for her while I filled this out.

Q: Why is your username "Rin"?
A: Well it was gonna be Rintoharu, which I came up with in middle school(long story, I was a strange child, haha), but I'm sort of steering away from that and Rin just seems to work better for me. Also, a lot of people, myself included, have a hard time pronouncing Rintoharu quickly and easily.

Q: What are you in to right now?
A: Anything involving Azumin. Still watch the orig anime occasionally, Aokana, The Devil is a Part-Timer!...

Q: What is your motto?
A: Ehh... I recently realized how much I liked a quote from Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires, "For honor and glory!", so I guess that.

Q: Who's your favorite singer(s) right now?
A: Do I really have to say?

Q: Do you have any expectations from this site?
A: Just here to meet some of the prominent figures of the site, and maybe talk about the games or Yukiho characters a little. Other than that, nothing major.

=== Other Stuff ===

So I don't know if this is a thing or just something I do but although Yukiho is my favorite, I tend to relate to Haruka more easily personality-wise, at least from the anime.
I don't know how much I'll visit after this, probably about the same though. I've been around enough to know of the rumor of a third installment, so if that becomes a thing, I may visit a little more.
Well, that's about everything. Glad to make anyone's acquaintance. See you around!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 03:04:50 am by Rin »
What will I paint on the pure-white tomorrow that spreads to its limit?
What will I paint on the tomorrow dyed pitch-black by reality?
Through struggle, we shine.

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:40:18 am »
Welcome.

Please wait for someone to post the same thing to every recent introduction threads here =U
No worries, he's a nice guy so he won't bite.

Thanks and have a good day.

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 10:02:26 am »
Welcome to the forum

And good joice for your favorite idol ;) You came through the anime to im@s and like Yukiho, that's quite rare afaik. The way she is portrayed is way exaggerated compared to the games, especially her fear of men, which in other media is just a "bad at dealing with men". On top of that, out of all the idols she is the one who grows the most over the course of the story (and frankly, she also needs to grow the most), but the anime gives her an episode really early on and the pretty much ignores her for the rest, and thus never shows her growth.

You said you really want to play the games, what is stopping you? Is it the money or the language? If it's the language you can play the games just fine, even if you you loose out on the story. I played im@s 2 with only minimal Japanese knowledge, but it was the final reason why i picked up serious Japanese studies (after playing the game for over 100 hours...)

Rin

• Apprentice
  • 初めて会った日、覚えてますか?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 05:23:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum

And good joice for your favorite idol ;) You came through the anime to im@s and like Yukiho, that's quite rare afaik. The way she is portrayed is way exaggerated compared to the games, especially her fear of men, which in other media is just a "bad at dealing with men". On top of that, out of all the idols she is the one who grows the most over the course of the story (and frankly, she also needs to grow the most), but the anime gives her an episode really early on and the pretty much ignores her for the rest, and thus never shows her growth.

You said you really want to play the games, what is stopping you? Is it the money or the language? If it's the language you can play the games just fine, even if you you loose out on the story. I played im@s 2 with only minimal Japanese knowledge, but it was the final reason why i picked up serious Japanese studies (after playing the game for over 100 hours...)

Thanks!

Yeah, it kinda bums me out when I think of how few people actually like her. But I'm not sure if I'd want the amount to stay the same because it feels more close-knit I guess, or increase for obvious reasons. And I feel they exaggerated her "disposition" because they'd only have one or two episodes to express it. As you say, though, it doesn't really equate to the game's version of it. Hah, don't even get me started on the episode number. You know there were people that complained about that single episode and said they hoped they never touched on Yukiho's personality through the rest of the show?

Yes, the main thing is money. Basically a few different people want me to buy a bunch of different things, meanwhile I want to get myself a new computer tower and a Japanese Xbox, so I don't know what to do. I can't afford all of them at once since a portion of the money I do earn goes to bills and such. I'm only a little worried about the language part, though. I know how to read hiragana and katakana, and I own a freakin' old Japanese-English dictionary, but I can only recognize(let's be generous here), maybe 20 kanji. I'd prefer not to miss out on story, naturally, but I don't think I'd be that worried about it.
And actually, Idolmaster was the initial reason I started going into relative overdrive learning Japanese, haha... ^^;

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 07:53:12 pm »
Hey, welcome!

What do you think of Yukiho's old voice? She had some great songs before the switch to Azumin (but the latter sings well too).

By the way, you're forum member 1001!

Rin

• Apprentice
  • 初めて会った日、覚えてますか?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 08:19:37 pm »
Thank you.

Erm... My first impression is that it's really tragic. I think Yurika(some people may think it strange that I call her that, though she legally changed her name) sort of got cheated, though that could have happened to anyone. After that though, optimistically, I guess I consider Yukiho's seiyuu change to be equivalent to her maturing or changing like she always wanted to, even though they still stuck with that story in the second vision. As far as the tone difference, I don't really prefer one over other because I like them for different reasons. Yurika was the first to voice her and (to me) sounds better in slower or sweeter songs, while Azumin is her newer seiyuu and sounds better(to me, again) for more intense songs like say, Overmaster. I just don't think I'd get as much from it if Yurika were to sing that, as opposed to 思い出をありがとう, for example. There is a video of my song on YouTube in which both of them sing, which I think is really awesome.

Also, similar to how I'm member 1001, you're only two posts away from 765. How bout that? :P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:45:40 pm by Rin »

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 08:29:43 pm »
I agree, Azumin's Yukiho does sound more confident than Yurika's Yukiho, and that goes along with Yukiho maturing. I feel bad for Yurika too because she didn't choose to leave her role in idolmaster; she definitely got cheated.

Also, similar to how I'm member 1001, you're only two posts away from 765. How bout that? :P

Ah, yeah! I'm almost there! ^-^
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:14:16 pm by altuixde »

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 12:33:10 am »
(I might be repeating some things here, so sorry about that)

Hello

We're a small, friendly forum. 

I see you've watched the anime, so that's a start (though not a great adaptation of the games).  As the others suggested, I highly recommend playing the games (I know you mentioned you don't have money).  The newest game, Platinum Stars, is coming out on PS4 this July, so I highly recommend that.  If you own a PS3, then I highly recommend One for All and Idolm@ster 2.  You could watch online videos for these games if you can't play them.  There's Idolm@ster 1, but that's on a region-lock Xbox360, so it maybe more convenient just to watch videos for that.

In the mean time, keep exploring other im@s stuff such as the music albums, mangas, dramas, Movie/OVA, etc.  Also, continue reading the wiki as that has a wealth of information about the franchise, and the people here worked hard on it.

There are several Yukiho fans here as you probably already seen like Naryoril.  So, I'm sure you'll make some friends here.  One of my buddies is a Yukiho fan and has taught me a lot about her.

Please wait for someone to post the same thing to every recent introduction threads here =U
No worries, he's a nice guy so he won't bite.

Oh, that guy.  Yeah, he's really cool.  I wish I could be an awesome guy like him.  I'm sure he'll appreciate our comments about him.

EDIT:

I've been around enough to know of the rumor of a third installment, so if that becomes a thing, I may visit a little more.

You mean a 3rd vision?  Well, it was on the table way a few years ago, but I guess it didn't go anywhere.  Platinum Stars is actually sticking with 2nd vision.  (Personally, I don't want a 3rd vision, but that's just my opinion.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:17:55 am by mariokirby »

Rin

• Apprentice
  • 初めて会った日、覚えてますか?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 03:40:24 am »
Hello

We're a small, friendly forum.

Hi, nice to meet you. Haha, I gathered that much in the less than 24 hours I've been here. :)

I see you've watched the anime, so that's a start (though not a great adaptation of the games).  As the others suggested, I highly recommend playing the games (I know you mentioned you don't have money).  The newest game, Platinum Stars, is coming out on PS4 this July, so I highly recommend that.  If you own a PS3, then I highly recommend One for All and Idolm@ster 2.  You could watch online videos for these games if you can't play them.  There's Idolm@ster 1, but that's on a region-lock Xbox360, so it maybe more convenient just to watch videos for that.

I would really like to play or even just personally watch someone play any of the games. I guess I wasn't clear, I basically don't have any console to play any of the games with right now. But yes, I have and still do watch a bunch of videos regarding them.

In the mean time, keep exploring other im@s stuff such as the music albums, mangas, dramas, Movie/OVA, etc.  Also, continue reading the wiki as that has a wealth of information about the franchise, and the people here worked hard on it.

I have seen the movie, I know of the radio... thing... iM@S Station, I think it is, or at least was. I'm not sure how to get my hands on any of the manga other than buying them online. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly with yen, though.

There are several Yukiho fans here as you probably already seen like Naryoril.  So, I'm sure you'll make some friends here.  One of my buddies is a Yukiho fan and has taught me a lot about her.
Oh, I know. ;D That's basically reason enough for me to visit here because I live in a super small city, and I'm almost convinced that I'm the only person around here that's even heard of Project iM@S.

You mean a 3rd vision?  Well, it was on the table way a few years ago, but I guess it didn't go anywhere.  Platinum Stars is actually sticking with 2nd vision.  (Personally, I don't want a 3rd vision, but that's just my opinion.)

I don't really know, I remember on a different site someone linking a conversation with one of the developers? They talked about general stuff but towards the end when asked about the future of the project, they mentioned essentially starting over because they wanted it to feel like a whole new game. I don't know what that entails, but it was from maybe February of this year. If I looked hard enough, I'm sure I could find it again. This is the first I'm hearing about Platinum Stars, though.

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 07:34:25 pm »
Welcome!

I would really like to play or even just personally watch someone play any of the games. I guess I wasn't clear, I basically don't have any console to play any of the games with right now. But yes, I have and still do watch a bunch of videos regarding them.

Im@s SP and PS3 Im@s games are probably the most economical ways to get into the games. The consoles aren't much... relatively speaking.

I have seen the movie, I know of the radio... thing... iM@S Station, I think it is, or at least was. I'm not sure how to get my hands on any of the manga other than buying them online. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly with yen, though.

Amazon.co.jp will deliver manga overseas and will gladly take other currencies to pay for it, or you could get the Kindle versions for no shipping fees. Though if you do that, maybe route your connection through a proxy of something in case they decide to check for IP addresses.
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Yukibro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 12:43:54 am »
A little late to the introductions, but I haven't been around here for a while... and I can't miss out on a fellow Yukiho fan's introduction when I see it. :P

As Cael said, your most economical (not to mention accessible) games are the SP games on the PSP (unofficially translated) and the PS3 titles, due to lack of region-locking issues to go around. Of course, you can still get a 360 imported to you for the first game and L4U if you really want those. I've been meaning to do that... eventually. I had to get a PS4 just recently for Platinum Stars, have mercy Scamco

At any rate. If you do want to know more about Yukiho, I'm your guy if you want to send me a PM. Mariokirby can vouch for me.  :)