Username: Password:

Author Topic: About character development.....  (Read 4552 times)

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: About character development.....
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 04:44:32 am »
Wonder why I didn't ask to clarify earlier if some of my knowledge was absurdly flawed in the first place, my forgetfulness disgust me.....

Whoa.  It's okay.  You were just mostly reporting what some people have said.

If your opinion is "different", do you mind answer my very first question?

Well, Yukibro and the others seemed to have defined it already, which is better than what I can offer.  But, I'll give it a shot.

I guess by "average" you mean "undeveloped".  For developed, I think it would mean characters who change after undergoing some kind of hardship/trial/testing.  Change could mean a lot of things like their personality changed, or their feelings towards an idea/philosophy changed, or they improved themselves as a character/idol, or they learned something about themselves that they never knew before, etc.

So, undeveloped is basically the opposite.  There was little or no change in a certain character. 

Not sure if they literally mean she has no personality or backstory (that'd be too extreme of a complaint) it's probably that the personality/backstory itself doesn't interest them.

Oh, I see.  (Sorry, if I misinterpret what Freedomzz had said.) 

Well, in that case, then that's subjective whether her personality/backstory is interesting or not.  Objectively, she does have them.  And, some people find them interesting.  It just depends on a person's taste.

Not saying Haruka's motives are a bad thing, it's just I personally attach to Uzuki's motives more.

And, that's fine.  People have different tastes.  I personally prefer Haruka, but that's just my preferences.

This can go on further, but all I wanted to point out was that the same character can be seen in different ways, and it's up to the skills and attention of the writer to convince us that the interpretation is valid.

I agree.  For example, Chihaya loses her voice in Im@s 2 (actually she lost her voice before that in New Stage 03 drama), but she doesn't lose her voice in Im@s OFA.  Of course, her overall story is similar with the dark past and using the Producer help to overcome it.  But, the point is that her character is still interesting and valid.

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 05:54:54 am »
Meh... I ain't no author, heck I don't read books (just manga), but lately I've been thinking...

In terms of traditional narrative, part of development could be a character fulfilling the role he's supposed to play, and the other part is convincing the reader that no one else could be substituted in the same spot. I don't think I can explain this very well, but that last part is much more important.

I mean, if you have a character that's only intended to be an obstacle to overcome, or that is meant to show that their way of thinking is wrong, that's pretty easy to do. Character comes in, makes their evil entrance, spouts a few evil lines along with a few evil insults, and makes his evil exit (sometimes while laughing). Later, he gets beaten up by the main characters. See, he's wrong! O_o

The part of development that I think is important is showing, for example... in order to make a character that shows happiness doesn't come from a desire for power, why did this character have to be named X, with personality traits A, B, and C, who had things D and E happen to him? Once he starts speaking about his beliefs, how easily can you substitute a random person in to deliver his lines, or can no one else but him say them?

Once you find out that you can't take this character and replace him with just anybody, then he's kinda found his place. Of course, I think there are other things too. Some might not be so much character development so much as good writing. Like, even if you have a character that had D and E happen to him, is it still believable? And for that matter, is it boring and do you even care?

... Though I think I'm trying to say something like what Yukibro said: whatever the author wants to say, it's up to his skill as a writer to convince us to pay attention and agree with him. I mean, crap, anyone can say friendship is power. Heck, I just did and it took me three words. I'm sure it would be more interesting if I said evil lonely guy gets beat up by random teenager dude after his friends start a cheerleading routine, but eh.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 06:03:38 am by Cael K. »
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 03:22:26 pm »
Let me just say, first, that all this Haruka talk is making me all warm and fuzzy inside.

@ Yukibro's whole post: This x 1000.

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 11:19:14 pm »
Development and this:

Pick one. :3
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3