Username: Password:

Author Topic: Art Software  (Read 1810 times)

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
Art Software
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:26:53 pm »
This topic is for discussing art software, their features and how to use them.

Personally, I've been using Mischief for sketching. Since it's vector based, you can zoom all you want and it doesn't get pixelated; great for drawing little details. Some of Mishchief's brushes even blend without having to lift the stylus, so it mimics a real pencil better than other vector drawing apps I've tried. Also, the files it saves in its native format are tiny (but they can get big under certain circumstances). However it lacks some features, like a fill tool, and there is no smudging at all—so if you want a brushstroke to push around paint from previous brushstrokes then you'll have to find another app.

Has anyone tried Painter Essentials 5? How closely does it emulate real paint and brushes?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:22:59 am by altuixde »

leafstro

• Apprentice
  • o.o
    • View Profile
Re: Art Software
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 10:43:33 pm »
I haven't used Painter Essentials 5 or Mischief, so I can't say much on either of them. The ability to zoom in forever does sound pretty neat though, I'll admit.

I use a combination of Photoshop CS6 and SAI. I like using SAI because of the built in stabilizer it helps for line art, since I've got an unsteady hand. I switch between the two since they both kinda work together (ability to save in the same formats, psd). Most of the time I use SAI for the initial sketch and pen work. I like using Photoshop for coloring though, since I'm much more use to it for that sort of thing. Although I'm sure SAI can do some pretty neat stuff regarding color, I just prefer Photoshop more, again since I'm just more familiar with it.

I've tried ArtRage Studio (it came with my tablet). Its alright. I can't seem to wrap my head around the interface though. The coloring ability closely mimics traditional, and it comes pre-loaded with actually useful brushes that look pretty realistic.

I've also tried to use Clip Studio Paint, its a really heavy piece of software, so unfortunately I get some severe lag. However the features are really cool, you can get a 3d model and pose it for reference within the software. The inking is top notch very smooth and crisp lines. I like the interface, it has elements that are similar to Photoshop, but still has its own unique features. Shame my pc isn't strong enough to handle it so well.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:45:16 pm by leafstro »

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 04:13:52 am »
I should add that Mischief's usability is really good. Brush size and opacity can be quickly adjusted with keys on the keyboard. When rotating the canvas, it rotates around the point where the cursor was when you began the rotation; I prefer this to having the canvas always rotate around the center of the window, which seems to be most common among the apps I've tried. Similarly, when zooming, the center of the zoom is where the cursor was when the zoom was initiated. Rotation and zoom are controlled the same way: by moving the cursor horizontally. The full version of Mischief also has a feature called Pins that lets you jump between different views of the same document.

leafstro, do you know if there's an option to get Clip Studio Paint's rotation to function the same way it does in Mischief? I bought a copy of Clip Studio Paint when I got my tablet but I agree that it is really heavy. It can smudge paint that's already on the canvas with paint from the current brushstroke, though, so it could be the solution I'm looking for. I'd still like to use Mischief for the initial sketch but I could finish it in Clip Studio Paint.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:40:42 am by altuixde »

leafstro

• Apprentice
  • o.o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 05:54:08 am »
I should add that Mischief's usability is really good. Brush size and opacity can be quickly adjusted with keys on the keyboard. When rotating the canvas, it rotates around the point where the cursor was when you began the rotation; I prefer this to having the canvas always rotate around the center of the window, which seems to be most common among the apps I've tried. Similarly, when zooming, the center of the zoom is where the cursor was when the zoom was initiated. Rotation and zoom are controlled the same way: by moving the cursor horizontally. The full version of Mischief also has a feature called Pins that lets you jump between different views of the same document.

leafstro, do you know if there's an option to get Clip Studio Paint's rotation to function the same way it does in Mischief? I bought a copy of Clip Studio Paint when I got my tablet but I agree that it is really heavy. It can smudge paint that's already on the canvas with paint from the current brushstroke, though, so it could be the solution I'm looking for. I'd still like to use Mischief for the initial sketch but I could finish it in Clip Studio Paint.

Sorry I'm not familiar with Mischief, how does the rotation work there? I know you have the option for rotating the canvas and layers in CSP, but I'm not sure if that is what you meant.

To rotate the whole canvas you just press "R" and drag in circular motion; holding shift for more constant increments like 30 degrees and 90 degrees.

If you mean for like the layer then just press "Ctrl + T" and move your cursor to somewhere between the corner and side of the marque box and the cursor should change into a semi circle shape with arrows on both ends. Then you just move the cursor around till its at the right angle you want.

EDIT: I didn't read your post very thoroughly my bad.

CSP, as far as, I know doesn't rotate around the cursor it rotates with the center of the canvas as the main point of rotation as you said. I would assume Mischief can work like that because it is running in an infinite canvas where having the rotation point always in the center would be really counter intuitive; depending on how far away from the center you would be working. While in CSP and most other software, you have a set canvas size, so rotation will always be in the center, because you'll always be working within the constraints of the canvas size set upon creation. So it might just be a matter of getting use to working with a limited canvas.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:08:51 am by leafstro »

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 06:24:05 am »
Ah, I see. I'll see if I can get used to using both control schemes. I'll probably still end up occasionally using Mischief inputs in CSP and CSP inputs in Mischief, though. :)

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 06:56:11 am »
Doodling in Procreate is very addictive. If you've got an iPad you need to try it out. It's quite intuitive with a plain ol' capacitive stylus, so I don't think one of those fancy Bluetooth styluses is necessary.

Accoun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 02:58:47 am »
Since the thread was updated - if someone was interested in Clip Studio Paint, it's temporarily $20 on official website. Discount should last for a day and a few hours.