Username: Password:

Author Topic: The recent YT shenanigans.  (Read 4362 times)

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
The recent YT shenanigans.
« on: October 25, 2015, 06:20:38 am »
Even though I haven't done requests since forever and a half I do keep my eyes around the forums and etc., as well as YT's endeavors. I recieved this in my email earlier, and I think this might be why -

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about this beyond "irritated"... regardless, people were asking "why" thus.

(Would've answered in the respective thread, but I know Setsuna asked to move the related convo somewhere else)

Elixir

• View Profile
Re: The recent YT shenanigans.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 10:05:24 am »
I also received the same email concerning one of my videos which I uploaded in 2008, of shiny smile.

Video in question https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjUCh6_t6b0

I don't live in the US and I don't really give a shit if anyone in the US can see my videos, so whatever. This is just another way of Youtube to charge customers for content which has been online and available for free for the past seven years. I don't think it's a good look.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:08:00 am by Elixir »

JNiles

• Producer
  • Gimme a hug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »
Typical business garbage.

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛さは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 04:17:10 pm »
Would anyone be interesting in hosting an alternative site for requested imas videos or should new fans just be recommended to go to nico for imas content?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:33:33 pm by Okayu »

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 04:52:32 pm »
I don't live in the US and I don't really give a shit if anyone in the US can see my videos, so whatever. This is just another way of Youtube to charge customers for content which has been online and available for free for the past seven years. I don't think it's a good look.
I do care, but then, I do live in the US. I do notice that this is affecting a lot of other content, too, though - even things that're much more mainstream like ESPN (though I think this one has to do with pre-existing contracts, I doubt this'll make many sports lovers happy). I don't think this is good either, given what this implies for both smaller creators and users alike. They're much too late if they want to jump on the stream bandwagon...

Would anyone be interesting in hosting an alternative site for requested imas videos or should new fans just be recommended to go to nico for imas content?
I've heard some people suggest dailymotion for iM@S uploading purposes. That said, though, it's not just iM@S affected by Red (a good portion of Vocaloid-based content is getting knocked too), and if there's a large enough migration to another website, what will happen then? (Besides Nico, of course)

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛さは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 05:39:12 pm »
I've heard some people suggest dailymotion for iM@S uploading purposes. That said, though, it's not just iM@S affected by Red (a good portion of Vocaloid-based content is getting knocked too), and if there's a large enough migration to another website, what will happen then? (Besides Nico, of course)
Yeah I know, a lot of jpop and kpop is blocked too. English nico is pretty empty. While there's not much translated (title and content wise) because it's empty, I wouldn't mind trying to translate some things if it would help out western fans now screwed because of youtube red blocking content.

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 05:49:32 pm »
I ended up using a proxy app like Hola to get access to blocked videos on Youtube (which I set my country to Australia). To find a business related reason this dumb as this is really disappointing but this isn't by far the worst I've seen so far.

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛さは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 05:53:16 pm »
I ended up using a proxy app like Hola to get access to blocked videos on Youtube (which I set my country to Australia). To find a business related reason this dumb as this is really disappointing but this isn't by far the worst I've seen so far.
I would suggest switching to a different proxy app if you're using hola.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/hola-found-to-be-selling-users-internet-bandwidth-as-botnet/

Kimiko

• Producer
  • Hi there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 06:07:11 pm »

Use ProxMate, it is safer than hola, because hola is selling user informations

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 06:13:05 pm »
I would suggest switching to a different proxy app if you're using hola.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/hola-found-to-be-selling-users-internet-bandwidth-as-botnet/

And removed. =/. Bleh, what a shame.

Looks like I won't be finding any good proxies from the looks of the offers then =v

Use ProxMate, it is safer than hola, because hola is selling user informations

You mean this?

Eh, I checked on it and I'm not a fan of subscription system, so that's a pass. Sorry.

chikorita157

• わたし、気になります!
    • View Profile
    • Chikorita157's Anime Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 06:28:50 pm »
This kinds of sucks, but I have been considering getting a VPS in Japan and then set up OpenVPN on it to possibly bypass it. Then again, that VPS will come in handy if I want to play Kantai Collection... Of course it's a more pricer option, but then again it's comparable with other VPN services (the lowest Linode VPS cost $10 a month).

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 07:40:48 pm »
Doesn't come to surprise anymore, really. I do find myself gravitating towards Dailymotion for those chance uploads -- and the resulting quality is respectable in itself -- but Youtube is pretty much where the money lies for overall content. It's just a question of what patience you're willing to keep with all the throttling. Says something rather well when people need proxies, too.

Speaking of which, didn't someone link a Firefox addon serving as one? Could dabble with that, if nothing else.
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 09:06:20 pm »
Doesn't come to surprise anymore, really. I do find myself gravitating towards Dailymotion for those chance uploads -- and the resulting quality is respectable in itself -- but Youtube is pretty much where the money lies for overall content. It's just a question of what patience you're willing to keep with all the throttling. Says something rather well when people need proxies, too.

Speaking of which, didn't someone link a Firefox addon serving as one? Could dabble with that, if nothing else.

Dailymotion seems to be a good uploading options for us as I saw braig there. It's not too bad from I saw.

That'll be ProxMate. From the looks of it, it does the job well if you're willing to pay the subscription fee after the 30-day trial.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 01:24:18 am »
I'm very tempted to provide commentary on various comments, but I think I'll keep my counsel on this one. I generally get shot anyway, and I get tired of dodging bullets every so often.

As for general advice - Yes, a temporary move to Dailymotion would make future uploads practical, but it would be only temporary, since there's been various developments on that front.

In theory, running a hosting server that would serve im@s videos would be the best option, if you were to host it on a server that would reject DMCA requests (They exist, in some places in Europe, from memory) but that sort of thing costs money, and I can't see crowdfunding as a long term operation for that, if only because there's simply not enough people for this sort of thing.

For those in the US, you could just wait out the negociation blocks. Basically, the reason why permission was revoked was because of demands from some of the content providers in regards to splits over the extra revenue red (subscription) generates.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Kimiko

• Producer
  • Hi there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 08:58:10 am »
And removed. =/. Bleh, what a shame.

Looks like I won't be finding any good proxies from the looks of the offers then =v

You mean this?

Eh, I checked on it and I'm not a fan of subscription system, so that's a pass. Sorry.

I think it is strange. I have ProxMate since3 Months now and I don't have to pay anything Oo It still does all it's work, and I can't believe that my firefox version is diffrent from chrome version Oo