Username: Password:

Author Topic: Setsuna's crazy adventures - a cataloguing  (Read 13126 times)

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
Re: Setsuna's crazy adventures - a cataloguing
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 05:09:43 pm »
Well, best of luck to you. Let me know if you need any help with finances or anything like that; I'd be happy to help as best I can.

In any case, I remember you were writing a book at one point. How did that end up going for you?

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 07:37:32 am »
Life got in the way. I want to get around to writing more, but I need all of this stuff cleared up first.

(I've got about 30 minutes every couple of days to connect, so I can do admin work and collect email and try to keep the place running)

Now for more 'Things that aren't supposed to happen in a normal world'

Since you are all aware of the fact the place I was in got massively fire damaged, there's a lot of cleanup that happens in regard to closing utility accounts, and the like.

In this case, since the cause of the fire was electrical (from ground floor) the electrical meter reader that checks how much electricity you used was ripped out and can't do the normal readings for billing.

So they had to close the account somehow (You can't use an estimate) and they can't just wait nine months + to see if they can somehow get the figures out of a damaged meter.

They decided to do this by declaring the last paid final bill the end date, which was the 14th June, which was the previous bill (and was paid promptly), because discounts are offered for prompt payment.

Now that's fine, but there's a bit of a laugh to be had.

From the bill:

Due date
Payment not required
Total amount if paid after due date
$0.00
Total amount with discount if paid by due date
$42.52Cr

Basically their accounting system decided to pay out the discount twice, and how do I pay a 0.00 AFTER the due date, anyway?

Of course a human reading over the system would go 'There's no credit to be had' and it IS a final account, so no point either way, and I technically get away scot free from a ~450 dollar electricity bill that SHOULD be owing if the place didn't go down in flames. Of course, this affair has cost me a lot anyway, so it's not really much of a consolation.

But not everything is always terrible. It's mostly the fact people tell me that the world isn't supposed to be this crazy. I beg to differ.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 07:26:54 am »
In the ongoing saga of settling back in, you learn something new.

At the new place, there's this electric cooker. The coils are downright terrible, so it takes a long time to cook anything.

Now, I'm not going to replace it anytime THAT soon (money and all) but making sure you can cook things properly is probably a good idea. Besides, I do things like stir frying and pressure cooking. So a portable gas stove seems like a good idea, you know doing asian cooking (and doing non terrible cooking in general) since the stove here is so lackluster.

So I rock up to a store that sells gas stoves and the like, including portable ones, and ask about them. After all, at least five of the places I inspected before this one used such a setup.

After a ongoing conversation, I find out that by law in Australia, we're not allowed to actually use gas to cook in an apartment. Apparently there have been enough explosions to pass a law against them. It's apparently legal in Europe and Asia, and is why a lot of asian families ignore this law.

More interestingly, the presence of a LPG canister inside an apartment will immediately deny you any insurance claim. Apparently this is listed as a clause in most insurance policies online.

It's one of those little interesting things you learn in a day.

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 10:27:44 am »
So I'm finally slowing down, and apart from a few laughs along the way, it seems I might see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Or maybe that's an incoming train, and I need to find somewhere to hide, rather quickly.

First things first, more oddities at my end.

The first is that I've now been given a mobile smart phone for use while I'm here. It's a HTC One (I think) with a custom OS. I couldn't tell you all the details, because to be honest, mobile devices aren't my strong point (I tend to work on bigger devices anyway) although I'm fairly sure this particular one is the strangest phone I've seen in a while.

Apparently it takes all the settings for the various things I tell it to do as suggestions. Most of them I might add are focused around tethering and wifi hotspots, but it sometimes does it while quickly webbrowsing on the phone.

No, I'm serious. Sometimes to tell it to tether, I'd have to turn the mobile data option off, the wifi off and the hotspot option off to get hotspot tethering to work.

This is of course coupled with a unique handicap at my end - due to how my right hand is now geared, sometimes the touchscreen will simply not work. This isn't a problem specific to the phone (I have a Apple 3GS which won't tether at all, since apparently the USB doesn't want to work, there's no wifi option, and the bluetooth version's broken) but due to the fact that as a side effect to the surgery I had a couple of years ago (see cancer removal), I don't generate enough resistance with my right hand for the touchscreen to work depending how I hold the phone.

(There's a nice long scientific explanation, but the short of it is that my thumb, index finger and middle fingers on my right hand have such a low resistance that the touchscreen has a 50/50 to not actually detect the change in resistance. Yes, this also means I'm incredibly susceptible to static electricity to the point where very small shocks can really, really hurt. I also suspect that any minor electrical shock in just the right way will outright kill me.) 

Given all the above, I've yet to really see any actual benefit in a mobile phone, but that's because how it works and how I work don't match each other at all. It's probably not necessarily extendable to anyone else. So tethering it is, if only the phone would take the settings as more than something I'm kindly requesting.

Then there's the little question of 'So how does 900 dollars get earmarked as missing without you knowing where the money went, anyway?'

My account has also decided not to work properly, by saying I have stupid amounts of money, but an available balance of maybe 10% that.

This would be normal except for one thing...

The bank can't tell me anything about the earmarked expenses apart from the fact they exist, and I don't own the money. They're as confused as I am about the charges, because they're literal blank entries.

That would be good news, except the money going in is ALSO literal blank entries, so basically money I never had has entered the account, then decided to leave the same way.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 02:05:14 am »
Not that I expect anyone to be reading this, but well, time for another episode of 'How can things go uniquely wrong for one person?'

Well, during the last week, I've been arranging for repairs that we first noted when we inspected the place.

One of the repairs wasn't really that big a deal (Shower divider misaligned and won't run on rail), another required fixing a window that was used to break in (a big deal but I've been home all the time so I've kept an eye on the window), a power point that jammed, and a faulty light in my room (not dangerous, but have to be done by an electrician in Australia) and the last was two wooden floorboards that bent in severely when you stepped on them.

We were thinking the boards were damaged, so they ripped up the two boards to take a look.

Termite damage. They had eaten through the floor supports

So what happens?

The problem is that the termites ate their way through somewhere (and we haven't seen the termites, so they'll probably be back if we don't do something about it) and it's now starting to look like a VERY big job.

The only thing going for us is that we didn't do it, so we're not liable for the repair cost.

The bad news is that the damaged floorboards were literally in the MIDDLE of the apartment, so the beam they ate their way through could mean that the entire floor has to be torn up.

... And we just moved into the place. *sigh*
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:34:07 am by Setsuna »

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 08:59:54 am »
Not that I expect anyone to be reading this, but well, time for another episode of 'How can things go uniquely wrong for one person?'

I'm reading it since there are bits of wisdom I pull from your experiences.  Wish I could explain why bad luck always follows you.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 06:45:27 pm »
Well, in another episode of fun stuff, we get to look into the weird and wonderful world of contracts.

... No, this isn't actually bad, but it IS weird, or at least some of it is.

Let's first start with a series of fortunate events (no, honest, no un) which resulted in a very odd decision made in regards with the contract.

As you might know, I live in Australia, the world of the stupidly expensive and low quality internet (due to the simple fact well, the previous government was planning to fix the whole mess by just going 'We can't trust any of you private players anymore' and just build a proper fibre based network structure (the NBN) then the current government decided to just scrap all of it.) so even though the numbers will seem VERY bad in comparison to other countries, it's actually fairly good as far as it goes here.

Due to various things (im@s uploads and video streaming) my requirements are that I require a pretty high upload (as in higher than 1mbit) so I can deliver videos in something resembling a decent time.

I was paying 110/month for a 1.4mbit up line. This means I have to allocate as a business, because I needed AnnexM enabled to get past the 1mbit cap.

This also means I have to provide an Australian Business Number (I'm registered as a contractor by the ATO) so I can get the service provisioned.

Of course, when a fire happens, you lose all your paperwork, and the ATO got really really uppity due to the fact that I couldn't prove who I was to retrieve the details.

So after a long discussion with the ISP's corporate division, we work on a way to dodge the ABN requirement.

Since I also lost a significant amount of equipment, they also offered to sell me a small business modem (A Cisco 867VAE-W), and because he knew I was a long time customer with the ISP (About 6 years, and the only reason I had to stop was cause the fire literally destroyed the line they were provisioning me) he'd grant a subsided price for a 12 month contract, with the device being paid for over the 12 months along with the line.

This means they get remote access and I don't get full control of the device until a year later, and I'd have to stay with the ISP for a year.

(Device is provided at 400, but sold to me at half that, spread over 12 months. It's a business grade modem, with the standard Cisco iOS, serial etc. If you're doing networking or plan to get a Cisco qualification (CCNA/IE etc) you'll know it's a fairly big deal.)

So fast forward to today, where the line that was contracted has been activate since yesterday.

The person I was speaking with told me due to a plan shakeup, he terminated the contract.

This is because the plans had changed significantly in my favour. The cost went down from 110 to 80/month, and the quota went up from 600GB down to 1000GB down. He migrated me over to the new pricing for internet provision, and I'm still bound to the ISP for at least 12 months. (which was the terms of the OLD contract, but at lower prices. I'm not complaining.)

In the process the termination clauses for the previous contract kicked in.

Since this was initiated by the ISP, and it was at their behest, the conditions had to be at least reasonable in our favour.

He handed me over the access details for the device, and a notice that we formally have full control of the modem/router. Also, the additional cost of the device was not added to the new contract, because we were added in as 'brought our own device'.

Basically, we had effectively served a 12 month contract in about 36 hours, without putting in a single payment.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 08:21:27 pm »
So in the second part of this update, I'll get to talk a little about some of the things I do outside of im@s, and maybe you'll learn a little about how the business world works, and maybe a little about my perspective.

I don't really talk about some of the skills I keep hidden up my sleeve, but well, I figured if I'm going to talk about things, I'll have to reveal some of them.

I have training as an accountant, and I can do bookkeeping for any small or medium sized business. I can't legally provide tax advice in Australia only because that requires 3 years working under a certified accountant before I can claim to be a CPA.

Most of my knowledge does transfer internationally, because most accounting standards are just that.

Because of all of that training (and various other experiences) I tend to have a very critical eye about how things work.

For example, I tend to have some very strange hobbies (or at least strange in the sense that you'd call them hobbies) such as keeping track of the total amount of proven financial fraud (as in stuff that gets proven in court cases) as well as the amount of prosecuted fraud (namely the stuff that's in ongoing investigations) that has happened since January 2nd, 2001, as a calculated average on a per day basis (assuming the costs of said financial fraud are distributed over 10 years).

I also calculate an estimate based on various sources.

The proven column so far...
At 2001, it was about 20 million a day.
At 2007, it was about 50 million a day.
At present? About 350 million a day averaged over 10 years.

The 'in trial' is roughly 7 times that, and the 'in investigation' is roughly 22 times the 'in trial' number. (The number fluctuates, but it's accelerating rapidly due to a few things.)

Some people find the number terrifying (For an idea, Bank of America was literally stealing about 300k houses literally from under the feet of people at one point, and that was TAME compared to some of the documents I've seen) but I just find it amusing because well, people get up in arms over people stealing a dollar or being ripped off for a game, but don't bat an eyelid when someone's grandmother gets their house stolen from them.

You have to keep in mind that the money doesn't disappear. You can trace where the money went, and if you look closely enough, where it came from, and it's very much theft, and it's definitely coming out of your pocket.

It's just that well, we live in an age where people don't look very closely at anything at all, and those that do get hurt very severely, at various levels.

Of course, if you ever wondered given how I tend to do things why I haven't just quit yet, well, if you can laugh at the biggest single daylight robbery and keep track of the pace of it for fun, and laugh at it after you nearly got killed a few times, you'll laugh at pretty much anything.

That and I also have what I call the uncollectable debts tally - People have made bets with me about various things  that they really believed was right (and mostly because if the other side was correct, it would significantly destroy how they see the world), and that if I could prove them wrong in the specified timeframe, they'd pay up.

Of course, they never seem to pay up when I hand the evidence to them.

It's at roughly $47000 since I started making predictions in 2007, with another $12000 in the next 12 months, and $250000 that is scheduled in 3 years.

I expect to be proven right as they come up, but I also expect to never be able to collect a dollar. In some cases, it's because they know they joined in, in some other cases, it's because they're in no position to pay, and in a couple of cases, it's because well, they're no longer with us due to a reason related around said bet.

So what can you learn from all the above?

Facts, the truth and reality really don't matter. People will believe what they want to, and the only thing you can do is laugh, and hope you learn from their mistakes.

That and maybe 'Before taking a point of view, be very sure that you know where opposing points of view can come from, just in case.' if for no other reason to prevent some enterprising woman to offer to take an opposing side and curse you with consequences.

Nakiame

• Hibike, Hibiki!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 08:43:31 pm »
I was paying 110/month for a 1.4mbit up line.
110$ a month for 1.4mbit?? Thats insane! Or do you live in a rural area?

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 08:45:09 pm »
110$ a month for 1.4mbit?? Thats insane! Or do you live in a rural area?

No, I live in suburban Sydney, Australia.

It's 1.4mbit up, by the way. The full line is 12/1.4 (Well, was, because it's dependent on the quality of the copper line)

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 09:30:11 am »
it's really insane. I live in Switzerland, one of the most expensive countries in the world (if not the most expensive) and i pay 64 USD a month for 40/4 Mbit, but that also includes cable TV. Just internet doesn't even go as slow as yours, the slowest is 20/2 for 34 USD a month...

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 02:29:09 pm »
Well, bear in mind I pay for a business line, which means I get certain dependencies that aren't offered on a residential (Minimum call out times, expedited tech support, the right to deploy the network as I wish, and resell the connection/run my own servers with a minimum guaranteed service.) so I pay more for those extra bits (mostly the fact that I don't have very much variance in regards with contested bandwidth or any sort of peak fluctuations.)

However, the other thing that plays into speeds in Australia is what sort of network is available.

Listed from highest to lowest:

1. Fiber

This was supposed to be the 'National upgrade' to the copper network we had. The idea was that we'd run a full scale fibre network to about 98% of the entire country, so basically short of you living 200km away from the nearest house (basically, you'd fall back to satellite, because you're literally somewhere in the middle of Australia) where you lived didn't really affect what sort of internet services you could get.

It would also have a significant amount of future proofing, because of the fact that speed upgrades are mostly about upgrading the receiving ends of fibre due to the nature of the medium.

The previous government (2007-2013) decided it was worth working on (it's expensive as all hell of course), and created NBN co to construct the network.

They were voted out, and the current government led by Tony Abbott had a few people complain about the network, on the argument the existence of the network would severely undermine their revenue. One of the main lobbiers who demanded that the network be stopped, and previous work be ripped out was Rupert Murdoch (for reasons I'll get to a little later).

They did so, although Tony Abbott didn't dare tear up the work that WAS completed after his colleagues said they'd murder him (roughly 15ish%) and after a bit more pressure, grudgingly used a hybrid system which protected the Murdoch interests (Like I said, more on that later) claiming the recycling would save money and 'we didn't need the upgrades at all in the first place'.

The irony is that the hybridizing doubled the eventual cost compared to the initial rollout plan, and ironically is more expensive to maintain AND delivers a much worse speed profile due to the fact we effectively maintain FOUR different systems, instead of two.

Tony Abbott was kicked out as PM about a month ago.

Anyway, if you live in a 'lucky area' you may get access to Fibre. Due to the history above it's a lottery based on 'where you live', and the collation government decided that it'll only do select areas based on needs.

I'll use my ISP as a point of reference for pricing, but bear in mind iinet are considered somewhat premium. For home use, you could easily slice 20-30% off these prices, but you know, you get what you pay for.

IF (Key word) you have access to the NBN and Fibre:

The absolute top end of the scale is a 100/40 line with 1TB download quota (and no upload quota) on a business plan will set you back 145/month. It's as gold plated as you can make it without paying for a 99.99% uptime service guarantee with a 1 hour fault turnaround (You get a 99% at this price with an 8 hour) with all the stuff I get. If you want corporate you'll get nearly zero contention, but at that point, you're buying actual circuits, and the price skyrockets, but if you're big business, you'll pay for the reliablity.

If you don't NEED the turnaround (I like the flexiblity, but let's face it, most people don't REALLY need the ability to call up and finetune a connection when it degrades 10% theoritical max upload) the consumer equivalent is 120/month (Although I don't know if the 1TB limit counts data in BOTH directions, not just down)

http://www.iinet.net.au/internet/broadband/nbn/plans/

You can tinker around with that to see what you can get at a residential level.

http://www.iinet.net.au/business/small/internet/nbn/

You can tinker around with this one to see what you can get at a business level.

2. Cable

You might remember me saying something about Rupert Murdoch in the Fibre part, and why he was so vehemently opposed to the NBN.

This is why. He has Foxtel to defend, which has a monopoly over Cable TV in Australia, and the existence of the NBN would completely destroy his business model.

Cause I don't really like Telstra (and they charge more for a LOT less service) I'll be referencing the Optus (the OTHER player in the cable market) pricing for what you can get.

http://www.optus.com.au/business/broadband-internet/office/plans/cable

A 30/2 line (Assuming you live on a street with Optus cable) will set you back 95/month 'Unlimited'. You can opt to upgrade it to 100/2 for another 30 dollars per month.

Yes, it's actually CHEAPER to get a cable+phone package than just the phone. You can check it yourself.

It's not actually unlimited, (from experience from people I know.) but closer to about 1TB before they start warning you, as in the 'We'll disconnect you for being in the top 10% of users' warning you.

The flip side is that it's actually very difficult to actually get anywhere near that, due to how cable internet actually works (Basically, there's a maximum provision per node (think of it as section) where the total bandwidth allocated is limited to x over everyone in said section, usually 1000/10, usually spread over one street (or usually between 16 and 32 addresses, up to 127). Basically, unless you get a undersubscribed street, the only time you'll get anything close to the advertised is when it's 3am in the morning.

3. (A/V/S)DSL

This is what I have allocated. It runs off the Telstra copper network, which was originally used for the phone lines when the company used to be Telecom, and was a government owned corporation.

http://www.iinet.net.au/business/small/internet/

Previously I was paying 119 for the bundle pack, and I don't really use my phone (I'm not big on voice communication), and the naked DSL was... also 119, which was why when I applied for the naked, he asked me if I wanted it knowing that the price was identical. I sort of lucked in on the price drop to 80/month happened and he gracefully transferred us over.

Anyway, in Australia, this is the majority of residental and small business connections. We don't have a fibre network, and due to how Telstra (Which inherited the government owned POTS service) treated the copper connections (Namely they treated it like crap and did things like use a substance that turns corrosive (to copper among other things) when exposed to water... to seal the cables from water. Yes, this was a multi billion dollar mistake they're STILL supposed to fix but are dragging their heels over.) the copper is pretty slapdash, degrading, and in really poor condition.

There's a reason why anyone with a DSL connection in Australia can tell when it rains - the network slows down significantly.

There's also a reason why there's an old joke - If you want a device that is impenetrable and on the internet, connect it to Telstra ADSL.

A very large percentage of broadband connections are DSL.

Scarily enough, there's a significant amount of people who fight for even DSL because...

4. Wireless

Due to the nature of the lines here, and how DSL works, you basically need to be within 3.5km of a telephone exchange for ADSL2, or within 8km of an exchange for ADSL1, assuming the copper pair that runs to your house is in decent to good condition.

However, you ALSO need to not be behind a RIM, or be pair gained (Namely, get 2 phone services on the 1 copper pair) or any other telecommunications trickery.

And of course, being a privatized service about to sell an aging asset (It's about 50 years old) where the NBN was planning to retire it (They intended to use the space the copper occupied to run fibre through) they didn't bother maintaining it, since it was going out, and they were planning to just short gap it until everyone ended up on the NBN.

Until Murdoch campaigned to destroy the NBN, and Tony Abbott ordered the hybridisation, maintaining a network no one wanted (And which is why it costs multiples more than the Fibre/Satellite solution. The repairs needed on the copper network are downright insanely expensive).

So if you're unfortunate enough to be behind a RIM, or were pair gained with your neighbour, or you were unlucky enough to have a flood and Telstra kept postponing the repair of the copper that runs to your house, or you were unlucky enough to have a pair that's about to fall apart or isn't good enough to run DSL off... you're going to be stuck with hoping that you have a good enough reception on your mobile phone.

Fortunately, Australia (for some weird reason) has one of the better (almost the best) mobile networks in the world, due to very recent heavy investment in new technology.

For an idea, I've seen my crappy barely enabled 4G phone pull 50/4 in bursts.

However there's always a few cravats.

The first is that it depends on your reception. Where you are matters - For those speeds, I was standing right under a tower, at thirty minutes to midnight.

The number of people trying to connect to the tower you want (Contention of network resources), as well as the presence of other access points to ensure a clear signal (signal congestion) will influence this.

And as you can guess, since there's pockets of 'bad broadband' spots, you'll find that contention and congestion are really bad in areas where people have no other option.

The other major problem is cost - For an idea, a prepaid plan cost me 40 dollars to get 2GB of data.

A friend who has a postpaid plan (Contract) pays 60 a month for 4GB.

They come with calls of course (They're mobile phone plans, and the contract comes with infinite calls mobile to mobile) but you can see how expensive it gets. All mobile plans count traffic both ways for the purposes of quota.

There's wireless broadband, but even that ends up being about 70 for 6-8GB a month.

Needless to say, it's frightfully expensive.

By the way, Tony Abbott (who was PM until just recently) actually said that Australia should be connecting everything via wireless and actively pushed to get telecommunication CEOs fired for 'spreading disinformation' when they all pointed out wireless doesn't work the way he envisioned it.

Needless to say, he doesn't understand the technology very well.

5. Satellite

I can't really comment on this, except that there are in fact people in Sydney (As in within a 50km radius of Australia's largest City) who resort to satellite because they haven't been allocated fiber, are too far away from an exchange, don't have access to cable, and are in a mobile blackspot.

-----

That's a very basic rundown of the current state of the Australian telecommunications networks. Basically, what you see as 'it's utter crap' is actually the only options you REALLY get. The real problem is the fact that the entire state of affairs ended up happening because of the fact we sold our government network off, then the private sector went 'Well, screw this, we'll milk you for what you're worth because who else are you going to go to, really?'

Oh, and when competition shows up, you pressure the government to ban them. They so nearly pulled it off when Optus threatened to compete, and they just about pulled it off again with the NBN.

I'm sure there's some details I probably got wrong (or are at the very least mostly unprovable, since I've talked with some of the major players, and they're just stories from them) but the general gist should be accurate.

Nakiame

• Hibike, Hibiki!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 03:40:12 pm »
Suddenly I feel myself lucky with 1gbit symmetrical connection for ~13$ a month lol

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2015, 02:49:11 am »
Suddenly I feel myself lucky with 1gbit symmetrical connection for ~13$ a month lol

You generally don't realise how something is until you realise the costs of getting it.

For most part, I'm pretty lucky in the sense that I got anything that resembles broadband at all - When I was living in a suburb about 10 years ago we were in were actually earmarked at one point for decommissioning because 'Not enough people wanted broadband internet at the prices offered.'

There was a reason for this - a DSL connection (512/64) connection with 3000 MB a month with a 25c per MB excess was 180/month. You needed an ABN, and it was purely on Telstra's decision to provision it to you.

They got caught ransoming a few people (I should know, I was part of the settlement) by literally saying 'Pay up 500 dollars, or you're not getting a damn thing'

Granted this price WAS in 2003, but that's the 'best' you could have gotten.

So perspective helps a lot generally. What you have is generally only valued the harder you fight for it.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 08:31:15 am »
So after we were told that everything inside was a complete loss, I was told to come to a pawn shop.

... Even though we were told that taking the items out was too risky due to asbestos, someone ELSE decided it wasn't.

The fun part was that the person who decided to wasn't particularly smart decided to try and sell the entire games collection ALL AT ONCE to them. Not even cleaned up either.

Needless to say, the pawn owner stalled for long enough for the police to arrest the guy, and then they concluded that it came from a place with a fire. After a few calls around, they found me (I had to give a statement) and told me that they were from the site.

So I now have (most of) a games collection, and now we have to go through the testing phase.

Unfortunately the PSP didn't work (it took too much fire damage) but the 3/DSes came out fine.

This is where you'll learn something new: Apparently Nintendo run a weapons grade division, because every single game we tested so far still works.

The worst damage we have so far is that my light green DSi has broken speakers... but the headphone jack still works.

Go the hell figure.