Author Topic: Heya!  (Read 5525 times)

fullOanime

• Greenhorn
  • Forum member
    • View Profile
    • fullOanime on YouTube
Heya!
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:03:10 pm »
Hi, my name is Ken and I'm from New York!

I watched the 2011 iDOLM@STER anime around two or so years ago and it's one of my favorite shows ever. But it wasn't until I started following some cool, intense fans on Twitter when I thought to myself that getting deeper into it could be a whole lot of fun and could be a way to meet more people within my ever-growing hobby.

To my credit, as of right now, apart from animas, I've only really indulged in a small chunk of the CG anime. BUT, I did just buy OFA back at Otakon, though I can't play it till I get back to my apartment in two weeks. That's partially why I decided to join the forum - apart from meeting and talking to other iM@S fans, I may need some help along the way and this site looks awesome for that.

Let's see, what else...?
I'm just going to list more intro things.

My favorite idols are Makoto, Iori, and Yayoi.
I'm a live-action cinematography film student.
I make YouTube videos on anime figures.
My favorite anime is Cardcaptor Sakura. This season, it's Himouto! Umaru-chan.
I had pizza for lunch.

I think that's all I got!

Vas

• Apprentice
  • Generic forum member
    • View Profile
Re: Heya!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:53:25 am »
Nice to meet you, Ken! Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay. There's several guides laying around for OFA and 2 from what I've seen so you've come to the right place. That, and many people around here are willing to help you out if you seek their aid. Other than that, again welcome aboard and here's to having another person here on the forums! Your YouTube channel sounds interesting, btw. I'll give it a look later on :3
Not removing this sig until Kachou Fuugetsu becomes more than a 5-page side story.

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:09:46 am »
Welcome.  We're a small, but friendly forum.  So, feel free to post or explore the topics.

I see you watched the 2011 anime.  That's how most of us started.  And, you already got One for All. 

Use this guide for One for All.

http://idolmasterofa.wikia.com/wiki/IDOLM@STER_One_For_All_Wiki

And, post any questions you have.

While you play, check the wiki.

http://www.project-imas.com/wiki/Main_Page

Here, you'll find a wealth of information about Idolm@ster.  I personally would check out the articles to familarize yourself.  Then, if you feel like it also check out the mangas, music, dramas, OVA, movie (not that good), etc.  You don't have to follow my recommendation since I'm biased.  Just do whatever you feel like.

For the previous games, there are some youtube videos that have a few story scenes if you don't feel like playing them like Idolm@ster 2.

I ran out of stuff to say.

I had pizza for lunch.

Awesome.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:01:55 am by mariokirby »

fullOanime

• Greenhorn
  • Forum member
    • View Profile
    • fullOanime on YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:24:13 am »
Nice to meet you, Ken! Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay. There's several guides laying around for OFA and 2 from what I've seen so you've come to the right place. That, and many people around here are willing to help you out if you seek their aid. Other than that, again welcome aboard and here's to having another person here on the forums! Your YouTube channel sounds interesting, btw. I'll give it a look later on :3

Thanks very much, Vas! and I'm very looking forward to reading and posting when I can.

Welcome.  We're a small, but friendly forum.  So, feel free to post or explore the topics.

I see you watched the 2011 anime.  That's how most of us started.  And, you already got One for All. 

Use this guide for One for All.

http://idolmasterofa.wikia.com/wiki/IDOLM@STER_One_For_All_Wiki

And, post any questions you have.

While you play, check the wiki.

http://www.project-imas.com/wiki/Main_Page

Here, you'll find a wealth of information about Idolm@ster.  I personally would check out the articles to familarize yourself.  Then, if you feel like it also check out the mangas, music, dramas, OVA, movie (not that good), etc.  You don't have to follow my recommendation since I'm biased.  Just do whatever you feel like.

For the previous games, there are some youtube videos that have a few story scenes if you don't feel like playing them like Idolm@ster 2.

I ran out of stuff to say.

Awesome.

Thanks very much for the links! I'm most definitely going to need them for the game, but also I would like to familiarize myself with the material as well. There is quite a lot, but I'm sure I'll be in deep soon enough.

See ya around here!

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:30:07 am »
Welcome, new producer.

But it wasn't until I started following some cool, intense fans on Twitter when I thought to myself that getting deeper into it could be a whole lot of fun and could be a way to meet more people within my ever-growing hobby.

If you really want to get into the thick of it, consider going to one of the concerts. I just went to the 10th anniversary concert 2.5 weeks ago and while it was expensive (with the flight and everything, not the tickets themselves) i have only one regret: That i waited so long to go to a concert, i always wanted to but never committed myself to actually do it until 10th. I met a lot of im@s fans from all over the world during my trip and i discovered a whole new world behind the im@s fandom, there is so much more than one would expect. Saying "it was simply awesome" doesn't even begin to describe it.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »
Welcome Ken!

I'm a live-action cinematography film student.
My favorite anime is Cardcaptor Sakura. This season, it's Himouto! Umaru-chan.
I had pizza for lunch.

Sounds like we'll get along!

I love pizza. :P

Enjoy your stay~

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:21:06 pm »
Welcome, new producer.

If you really want to get into the thick of it, consider going to one of the concerts. I just went to the 10th anniversary concert 2.5 weeks ago and while it was expensive (with the flight and everything, not the tickets themselves) i have only one regret: That i waited so long to go to a concert, i always wanted to but never committed myself to actually do it until 10th. I met a lot of im@s fans from all over the world during my trip and i discovered a whole new world behind the im@s fandom, there is so much more than one would expect. Saying "it was simply awesome" doesn't even begin to describe it.

I've heard it described as having a religious experience, while in a sauna... doing aerobics. And yes, it was like that.

But yeah, welcome to the forums, Ken! If your last name is Masters, I will never mess with you.
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 04:24:18 pm »
I've heard it described as having a religious experience, while in a sauna... doing aerobics. And yes, it was like that.

Lol, yeah, that comes quite close to it.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 02:56:03 am »
Welcome, Ken!

As a film student, what's your opinion of the imas animes? Do some elements of live-action cinematography also apply to animation?

fullOanime

• Greenhorn
  • Forum member
    • View Profile
    • fullOanime on YouTube
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 07:11:14 am »
Alright, rapidfire!

Welcome, new producer.

Hi there! Thanks for the welcome :)

It was all the tweets I saw from 10th that made me want to take bigger leaps into this fandom. Realistically, I can't even think about going to Japan until 12th, BUT that gives me a lot of time to prepare, anticipate, and get excited for my first sauna aerobics experience!  :P

Welcome Ken!

Sounds like we'll get along!

I love pizza. :P

Enjoy your stay~

Hi there!

I was born and raised in Brooklyn. I may be Filipino, but my blood is practically tomato sauce and cheese lol.

Welcome, Ken!

As a film student, what's your opinion of the imas animes? Do some elements of live-action cinematography also apply to animation?

Hello :D

You'll be surprised with how much live-action cinematography applies to animation. Pretty much all of the principle parts - lighting/shading, frame composition, and camera choreography - apply equally in live action and animation as part of a sort-of film language. No matter which side of filmmaking you look at, it's all about using that language to convey moods and tell the story we aim to tell.

An example from last season I like to use is the anime "Hibike! Euphonum." It's animated by Kyoto Animation, who is known for crazy amounts of attention to detail. But, they've really outdone themselves in how much they really tried to emulate live action film in this show. Amazing scene composition, lighting, and even super specific technical stuff like simulated film stock (it looks like it was shot with film) and lens focal length w/ accurate background blur/bokeh. I feel like the knowledge and experience I've gained as a film student helped me appreciate that show way more than otherwise, though it is just really fun on top of all that.

In regards to the anim@s, I actually made a lengthy video review of it a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybn3-aGE_4I

To sum up my thoughts, I thought it was really well done.

The structure was great considering there were 13 idols it had to cover. Without a doubt, there was a clear emphasis on Miki, Haruka, and Chihaya. But with mostly solid arcs for them (I say mostly, because I didn't really like Miki's), one focus episode for each of the other nine girls, and change, it did a great job at getting us acquainted with everyone and ultimately well paved the way for the viewer to cheer on and feel for 765Pro as a whole. By far, this is why Chihaya's episode (Episode 20) worked so well. The body of her arc was basically all there, but with foreshadowing and accessory events leading up to it helped sell THAT scene (you know which one) to me.

Technically, it was also really well done with as far as efficiency goes. Consistent art, appropriate lighting and shading depending on scene, and outstanding animation where it counts - that last point being key. It's been a while since I've seen it, so specifics aren't coming to mind as easily as I'd like. But to memory, THAT scene in episode 20, and the live sequence for READY!!&CHANGE!! stood out. With the latter especially, everything about it leaves a smile on my face. The stage lighting looked great and the sweeping 3D camera movements were amazing - even more impressive that (I think) it wasn't 3D CG - at least, not entirely.

In comparison to the musical sequences in "Love Live!", the CG in that show, while not horrible looking, didn't mesh well with the rest of the anime. In my eyes, it actually drew attention to itself, which was ultimately distracting to the experience - regardless of how much I enjoyed watching the show. iM@S won me over in that it's concert scenes didn't have too heavy a visual contrast from the rest of the show to seem distracting. This is one of the reasons why I love anim@s more than LL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uTtGWzYMdU

I think I've typed enough for now. Sorry for the lengthy post. Feel free to pick my brain though - I like talking about this kind of stuff :D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:22:16 am by fullOanime »

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 02:58:31 pm »
I was born and raised in Brooklyn. I may be Filipino, but my blood is practically tomato sauce and cheese lol.

Oh! I'm half! Pleasure to meet more, FilipinoPs w!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 06:36:48 am »
You seem to know what you're talking about, Ken! :) One of the best looking scenes, in my opinion, was in episode 21 when the girls were walking home after hearing Kotori sing. The background motion and blur/bokeh was really pretty. Sorry for taking almost 24 hours to respond, by the way; I've been kinda busy lately. ^^ Hopefully I can be a little more active next week! I can think of one thing to pick your brain about right now, though: were there any parts of the anime that seemed weaker (with respect to animation, story or other) than they should have been?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:52:08 pm by altuixde »

Nayre

• Haisai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 01:29:14 am »
Oy, Kamusta!  It's always nice meeting more Filipino fans out there.  Welcome!! XD

Just checked out your channel.  I love the quality and detail of your vids!(Heehee as expected from a film student) That shinobu figma tho.  :o.
Was also quite pleased from your review on Non Non Biyori.  You pretty much summed up everything I love about the show.  ;D
Well, you got yourself another follower; I'll be looking forward to your future videos!  Keep it up!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:32:11 am by Nayre »

fullOanime

• Greenhorn
  • Forum member
    • View Profile
    • fullOanime on YouTube
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 04:12:54 pm »
Oy, Kamusta!  It's always nice meeting more Filipino fans out there.  Welcome!! XD

Just checked out your channel.  I love the quality and detail of your vids!(Heehee as expected from a film student) That shinobu figma tho.  :o.
Was also quite pleased from your review on Non Non Biyori.  You pretty much summed up everything I love about the show.  ;D
Well, you got yourself another follower; I'll be looking forward to your future videos!  Keep it up!
Oh! I'm half! Pleasure to meet more, FilipinoPs w!

Kamusta! (that's the extent that I can speak/type in Tagalog. I should learn one day w)
FilipinoP's unite!

Nayre, thanks for watching! I try to post often, so I hope you like my future stuff.

You seem to know what you're talking about, Ken! :) One of the best looking scenes, in my opinion, was in episode 21 when the girls were walking home after hearing Kotori sing. The background motion and blur/bokeh was really pretty. Sorry for taking almost 24 hours to respond, by the way; I've been kinda busy lately. ^^ Hopefully I can be a little more active next week! I can think of one thing to pick your brain about right now, though: were there any parts of the anime that seemed weaker (with respect to animation, story or other) than they should have been?

I love that part as well. Night shots are definitely my jam - allows for pretty lights, flares, and contrast :)

There wasn't really much that offended me (I'm using that term lightly) production or story wise. If I were to nitpick, in a personal preference context, Miki is annoying ~nano, so it was hard for me to take her arc in as well as I could have. But I can see how people might like it and her. Beyond that, lots scenes had lots of static backgrounds - and I mean our main cast would run through crowds or have crowds as backdrop and they would just not move. Again, this is really nitpick-y and never really bothered me much. In fact, I only really noticed it upon my rewatch for that review I made.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 04:42:47 pm »
I, too, think Miki is a little annoying. She needs to stop delaying the "-san" after saying Ritsuko's name. Saying it the way she does has gotten old and I think changing that would be an interesting bit of growth for her character. Unfortunately we're probably not getting much (or any) more anime starring the original cast, but that's fine with me because their stories in the animes have been concluded nicely.

I just watched your 2014 review of the 2011 anime. That was a good review! I'll be sure to check out more videos on your channel.