Username: Password:

Author Topic: THE iDOLM@STER 10TH Anniversary (plus personal stories about iM@S)  (Read 6556 times)

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
Well, 2005 was 10 years ago. Feel old yet?

Anyways, Happy 10th Anniversary to iM@S! An absolute milestone that it's made it this far.
Odd for me saying this considering I've been in this fandom for about three years...

If anybody has any personal stories about iM@S, why they got into it, and what they love so much about it, post it here. Whether you got into it from the anime, the console games, hell, even if you were a fan all the way back in the arcade days, post your love.

As stated in the tiny text above, I only got into iM@S around 2012-2013 when I first saw it via fanart while looking up some Touhou stuff. I saw some, got interested, and discovered there was an anime. I decided to check it out and it solidified my love for the franchise. I started drawing the characters, listening to the music, and doing my research on the lore of the series as a whole. It wasn't until 2014 where I discovered this site and found out "oh hey, there ARE other Western fans" and since then, this place has actually helped me make some new friends. iM@S has helped me become a more sociable person.

As for what I love about the franchise, I've said it before but I'll say it again -- characters, artwork, and music. The aesthetic stuff since I still have yet to play any of the games. The characters feel very genuine and likable most of the time, the music is usually a great listen (iM@S has even become my official workout music), and the artwork for promotional material and the mobile spin-offs always catches my attention. Heck, iM@S even helped me draw humans better.

So what are your personal iM@S stories? Please share in this thread how you got into the series and what you love most about it.

Happy 10th iM@S, here's to another 10 years and hopefully I can still be a fan even in my near 30s at that time. XP
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Accoun

• View Profile
Re: THE iDOLM@STER 10TH Anniversary (plus personal stories about iM@S)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:17:06 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2fyeQkw4Lk :-P
(I'm not sure if I was there, since it was at 4 AM. I was helping out, so I may have had things to do or just have slept)

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 06:45:39 pm »
The first time I discovered iDOLM@STER was in two m@d videos some people uploaded on YT back in 2008.

One video was of Haruka singing Daisuki! and the other was a parody of the iDOLM@STER arcade trailer but with the OS-tans. Both of these videos really stuck with me because I thought they were so cute. But especially that ending line of Aoi Tori with Haruka saying Doooome desu yo! Doooooooome! is something you just can't forget.

Over the years I learned more about the series by watching YT videos and NND uploads of gameplay footage from boxm@s or lives. I watched part of Xenoglossia once because it was the only anime thing I could find (until I learned about the L4U OVA). Shortly after I joined this forum (a few years later), I learned about iDOLM@STER SP and made it my first iDOLM@STER game.

After beating and falling in love with the game, I bought a JP region XBOX360 and played boxm@s. I played that game so long until my xbox red-ringed twice. I eventually ended up selling it to my regret.

The summer I graduated from high school was when anim@s began and I believe was also around the time when iDOLM@STER 2 came out, although my memory is a little fuzzy around this time. I had neglected preordering the XBOX version of 2, which had sold out and was unavailable online so I was pretty upset, but when I was on vacation that summer I remember iDOLM@STER 2 being announced for PS3 which was one of the most amazing things to happen for im@s! :3 This is the point where I decided to sell my xbox

When CG and ML were originally announced (about a year apart), I remember being quite salty about our 765 pro girls being replaced.
Even though, I remember joining CG in the first year it was available and that's the last time I have played it
and also joining ML in the first year it was available still going strong for 2 years!

More recently, I played the hell out of OFA and it became my boyfriend's first iDOLM@STER game to purchase. I was happy about introducing him to the franchise.

And finally, after so many years of waiting, I took my first trip to Japan this Summer and got to see iDOLM@STER's 10th anniversary concert and play the original arcade cabinet.
The arcade game has such a charm that reminds me why I got into this franchise to begin with.

tl;dr: アイマス最高!

Maka

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 07:19:27 pm »
I remember when I was in another fandom in 2009 or so someone posted a video of Kosmos Cosmos. I had seen Agent Yoru wo Yuku in the NND medley before, and someone on a forum I went to was super into IM@S, but I had never thought much about the series. But that video really piqued my interest and I found myself watching other L4U videos. Ritsuko was my favorite.

I think I definitely got into the music first. Does anyone remember that one YT user that uploaded all the songs with the album art and that sparkly gradient background? Anyways I think my other fandoms have waxed and waned but idolmaster has always been there. I think it's the fandom I've spent the longest in, though I don't contribute much beyond translations.

Saturos

• Producer
  • Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 07:37:52 pm »
I had seen Agent Yoru wo Yuku in the NND medley before

My first encounter with IM@S started exactly with that. At first, the IM@S parts didn't really effect me much since I was still getting used to Japanese Pop Culture (I was like in 7-8th grade-ish). Eventually, Makoto's androgynously cute looks grew on me and I started looking further more into the XboxM@S, mainly the dances since they were the most common video submissions. At the time, I was a complete weeaboo who had no available chances of learning Japanese any time soon, so, the communication scenes were impossible to watch without subtitles.
Fast forward towards entering college. AniM@S rolls around meaning I finally got something I could share to friends (not really) compared to the games. Plus, entering college meant I finally get to learn a foreign language that isn't Spanish and more freedom which, then, meant more exploration of IM@S though limited because murika.
Up until now, I got to experience an IM@S concert and, although I wish I could make more friends with Japanese IM@S fans, I'm generally happy that my fandom has brought me this far.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:42:27 pm by Saturos »
MAKO MAKO RIIIIIIIIIN!!

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 07:44:40 pm »
@animagic4u

Congrats, you surpassed me by 3 years.  I'm so ashamed at myself for not discovering Im@s sooner.

@MetalPredat0r

Yes!  I beat you by 1 year.  I guess that's why I always beat you in Mario Kart and Smash.

As for me, I'm too lazy type my reasons, so I'll just throw in my old welcome post with a few changes to fit the topic.

It started way back in 2011 when Idolm@ster 2 was just released on Xbox 360.  Around the same time one of the anime news sites I visited had an article about the anime that was coming out.   I was curious and checked out a couple of concerts gameplay videos based on Idolm@ster 2 (xbox 360).  The songs and dance really amazed me, and some of the idols were very pretty like Miki.  However, I was still hesitant since it seemed like one of those visual novels or harem animes where it’s kind of boring especially with wimpy, lame male characters.

That’s when I discovered about Touma and Team Jupiter.  I was like finally I get to see some cool, tough male characters, and I really liked them.  So, my decision to give the anime a try was because of Team Jupiter, and I still highly respect them even until this day even though they moved on to SideM.

When I watched the anime, I wasn’t too impressed by it.  That changed until ep 13 when the idols performed Rest@rt.  I was amazed at the animated dance choreography and I remember replaying that video clip for an hour straight.  The anime got better, and I become interested in Chihaya after her episodes.  After the anime I decided to play Idolm@ster 2 PS3.  I chose Chihaya since I’ve seen story gameplay videos and loved the story and romance with her.  Since then, I became an Idolm@ster fan and eventually played OFA.  I also went through the mangas, drama cds, musics, movie, OVA, etc.  As long as Chihaya is relevant I'll always be an Im@s fan.

I joined the forums after Idolm@ster 2 (PS3) was released since I needed help (I don't know Japanese).  The people here were very helpful.  After I beat Idolm@ster 2, I went into hiding until OFA was released.  Then, I needed help again and the people here again were helpful.  After that, I went into hiding again until people here started translating the story (especially Chihaya's).  Then, I posted more thanking them for their hard work and eventually discovered there were actually cool people here (and people who like Chihaya a lot).  I joined MetalPredat0r's gaming session and well here I am.

Unfortunately, I don't contribute anything to this site or the wikia. 

Yui

• Producer
  • Presenting Pisces Yui!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 09:28:16 pm »

So what are your personal iM@S stories? Please share in this thread how you got into the series and what you love most about it.

Let's see...

It's been 6 or 7 years since I got into iM@S. It started when I played Happy Dance Collection. There was an only game song (GO MY WAY!!) to dance. I liked the song, and et cetera. I got curious about that game and looked for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-tRK9T9fdM

Then, I just found that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYcRQBrUbd0

And there was Taiko no Tatsujin too, with shiny smile, Do-Dai, Kamisama no Birthday. And when I saw the shiny smile video (one with full version and dancing), well, I thought "Oh, I like that girl that look like a boy" (Makoto was my favorite). xD
So... if I have a good memory, it was in my 17 (7 years then), when I used to play Wii and Nintendo DS games, when the current Precure anime was Yes! Pretty Cure 5 (Yeah, I first heard about that in the same dance game, but I didn't got into magical girls anime) and the current Pokémon generation was 4. Oh, and there was a Live 4U OVA. Anyway...

And what do I love in this series? The music, dances and characters... I just fell in love for it.
But, it's kind of too bad that I only played Dearly Stars.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:51:51 am by Yui »

Kimiko

• Producer
  • Hi there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 09:39:54 pm »
I only got to know Idolm@ster about 2 or 3 years ago through youtube. a lot of the channels I subscribed uploaded covers or videos of kyun vampire girl and I liked that song, so I searched up the game and found it. I listend to more songs and watched the anime. By that time I also played Dearly Stars, I wanted to get the PSP games too, but I didn't get them because I didn't like the quality of the art compared to boxm@s and imas2...
Then I Found Pais Imas MMD Sub Channel on youtube, which is run by a really nice german guy. he recorded a lot of request for me and then, this january, he mailed me on skype that he had a spare ps3 because he had tried some stuff about saving his data without the restrictions of the ps3. so he had two ps3 with imas 2, ofa, shiny tv and the vocaloid games, and he sent it to me. I was so happy to finally play im@s on ps3. Because of his save data I had all dlc from 2 and up to the we have a dream catalog in ofa.
I also started playing Side M and Cinderella Girls, but I only play CG when I think about it, most of the time my mobile phone hast to use al his energy for Side M, Love Live and Scandal in the spotlight xD

My newest achievment in my Im@s collection are chihayas master artist 3, the side M CDs and an Azusa chibi~

Nayre

• Haisai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 03:01:11 am »
Haha! I was actually hoping for a thread like this to pop up...cause I didn't have the initiative to start one myself lol.

I'm just gonna share my whole experience up until this point in time.  It's not that long, I swear! XD

I was first exposed to im@s back when my sister(who was a complete weeaboo at the time(i think she might still be one at heart as she's still holding on that dream of marrying a Japanese guy one day -.-;)) kept singing and dancing to GO MY WAY!! somewhere 2008-2009ish until she got that it engraved in my memory.  A few years later, when I was into Touhou and came across a vid(the one I posted in the Touhou thread a while back) of one of the characters performing the same song.  It was the first time I actually gave it a good listen.  I quickly became addicted to it.  I remember it giving me such a unique feeling; it was extremely catchy and fun, and it made me...happy.  But I didn't think much of it yet.  At that point I had found out it was originally by IM@S but I still hadn't bothered to look up what it was.  Fast forward another few years, I was just getting into anime, coming off the SAO train(this was around 2013), and was looking for something to watch.  Stumbled upon this blog and was just blown away by many of their picks.  Then I noticed Im@s being one of the runner ups that won the SoL category and was like "Oh hey, I didn't know this was an anime!" and decided to give it a watch.  Tbh, I didn't like it at first since it was the first idol/cute girl show I was exposed to and thought it would be too "girly" for me to handle so I dropped it for a little while halfway through the 1st ep.  It wasn't until after I had watched Madoka that I decided to give it another shot and I'm so glad I did.  After just 2 episodes I was completely hooked.  And at episode 10(one of my fav episodes) when they played GO MY WAY!! during the credits I broke down so hard.(I was already crying from so much joy when they managed to win the race)  And by episode 13, it had become of my fav animes of all time.  From there, I kept myself occupied with im@s 2 vids on youtube while updating my music playlist until the movie and OFA came out. Then I eventually built up enough courage to see live performances and finally got to see the seiyuus behind our favorite idols.(also on youtube/nico)  Then CG anime came along and I was so hyped and excited(watched those PVs everyday the month before it aired and looking up potential favorites on the wiki, also listening to some of the songs), being able to actually experience it as it aired this time around.  And then last month, I accidently stumbled upon this forum when looking up stuff on the wiki.

Hmmm...What I love about Im@s...

Gahdahdfa hold that thought, I gotta go for a bit...i'll finish up this post later lols.

Sorry for that mess up there, my thoughts are so unorganized x. x.

So what I love most about Idolm@ster is basically everything; the music, characters, seiyuus, fandom,they all play a part in why I love this franchise so much.

The music prolly takes the biggest chunk of the cake since I've yet to play any of the games and all I really have are the songs I listen to on a regular basis.  I just love that special feeling I get from their music, especially from the 765pro songs.  For me, it's their biggest selling point and what sets
them apart from all the other idol stuff out there.   

This ties into the characters as they're half of the reason why the music is so enjoyable.  They're the most endearing and lovable cast of characters I've ever come across, both individually and as a whole group.  It's amazing how attached I am to these girls.  Just as if they were real people, I care about each of them and cheer them on always for their success.

And then outside of the im@s universe we have the seiyuus who breathed life into our favorite idols and the support of the countless fans who helped them reach this far.  When I first saw a video of one of the live concerts, I was opened up to a new side of im@s to enjoy and experience.  I was always hesitant on watching them at first, in fear of not liking the seiyuus, or them just being flat out terrible.  But they are amazing.  Even though they're not really trained performers you can tell they really give it their all when they're up there on stage, that they enjoy being there and genuinely love their fans(just the fact that they've been doing this for 10 whole years is more than enough to warrant that).  The fans reciprocate their love and cheer them on really hard creating this incredible synergy between them.  I always get so overemotional during those cheer-heavy songs, I worry about myself in the future when I'm actually in one of those things lol.  It's also fun seeing them playing up their characters and I love how some of their traits reflect on them as well like Nu's dancing skills and Asapon's playful and fun personality.  I couldn't stop laughing at Asapon's Visionary. XD  Furthermore, I appreciate how the fans recognize and support them as their own person.  I remember when news of the engaged Akky was spread to ANN, I remember there being a bunch of people who commented "Congratz on finding your honey!", I was so touched by that.  I also read stories about fellow P's and how far they'd go to help each other out.  That camaraderie and sense of unity between the fans is something I admired very much and what made me want to become a part of it.  It's like even if we all have different experiences with im@s we all have felt that "im@s spirit" and in a way we all share that bond.  Alright, I'm just gonna stop here before I get all cheesy/emotional.

Well damn, my longest post ever.  So before I end this finally, I just wanna thank everyone here just for being awesome people, that is all.  I've only been here a short time, but you guys continue to make my experience with im@s fun and memorable.  Also a big thanks to those who continue to fill requests for OFA and whatnot and to those who keep updating the wiki.  I can't really contribute anything right now, but I really appreciate all the work you all put into the things you do.  This is the first fanbase I've joined so I'm still learning some things like trying to be less annoying. ::)  But I'm hoping to continue to be a fan with you all in the years to come. 

Happy 10th anniversary everyone!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:42:21 pm by Nayre »

Vas

• Apprentice
  • Generic forum member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 02:12:14 pm »
Honestly, I wish I woulda known about iM@S since it first debuted back in 2005. (but then again, don't we all? :3) Especially since the 10th anniv. concert, and the serious urge to want to have been able to go see it, it'd be amazing to see the series and the girls (both the voice actors and in-game girls) grow over the past 10 years.

I learned of the series about....3 years ago, was playing a game series called Ace Combat, also made by Namco. One day I decided to look in the online store to see if there was anything in-game I wanted to buy. Turns out there wasn't anything specific. Then I saw a bunch of stuff titled "iDOLM@STER." Curious as to what this was, it was nothing more than a few in-game aircraft theme'd with the girls' image on them. (IIRC there's a wiki article about it) Having saw this, it piqued my curiosity. So I looked it up on YouTube and stuff, and like most others, saw tons of gameplay videos of the girls on stage and what-not. But I took notice of three particular girls I didn't see in the Ace Combat collaboration. Them being Miki, Takane, and Hibiki. (The collab and Ace Combat game's release was prior to the three's appearance in the series back in the first part of 1st vision) So naturally, I was curious as to who these three girls were, and sooner or later I discovered the anime. Watched it. Loved it. As time went on, I began to learn and read more about the series through the music, manga, YouTube, etc. and then a few months ago I came across this place and the rest is history.

The thing I love most about iM@S? Well, I find the series, IMO, defined in one word. "Dream." It's an amazing thing that I wish I could experience every moment of it from beginning to its inevitable end. The series lives in a world full of happiness and fantasy that pretty much resembles what I find to be a dream. I know someday the dream will end, as does the nature of all dreams, and I will be deeply saddened to know that my favorite series of all time will fade away, but nonetheless it's a great experience that I don't have a regret upon experiencing.
Not removing this sig until Kachou Fuugetsu becomes more than a 5-page side story.

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:58:28 pm »
To be honest i don't remember when and where i heard about im@s the first time. My best guess is that i read something about it on kotaku when Live for You was about to be released which would put it around end 2007/beginning of 2008. I looked up some videos on Youtube and was really impressed by the smoothness of the animations. I was interested in trying the game, but i didn't have a japanese XBox back then. Since the games were also available on the XBox live market place i tried a lot to trick the region lock. I don't remember how many hours i spent on buying money on the japanese market place, hooking up my laptop with a japanese VPN and routing the XBox internet connection through my laptop to fake a japanese IP. I think i managed to actually buy the game this way, but it couldn't install it due to the hardware region lock (i got past the IP region look iirc). So i reluctantly put that project to rest, but my interest for im@s was there to stay.

When i found out about Dearly Stars being released and being a DS game it didn't have region lock (i didn't have a PSP back then so i didn't buy SP which was released half a year earlier) i went on play asia and placed a pre-order for it on 31th of August 2009, about 2 weeks before the games release. I think i started with Eri as idol, but quickly switched to Ai. But unfortunately, unlike most other im@s games, Dearly Stars doesn't offer you much if you don't speak Japanese, which i hardly didn't back then. So i put it away after a bunch of hours, but i definitely was hooked on im@s now.

Another 2 years later there was an announcement of im@s 2 on the PS3, which was the final reason that made me buy a PS3, and of course i ordered the limited edition of the game as soon as possible (the one that came with G4U vol 1 and the first anime BluRay, unfortunately CD japan screwed up and forgot to add the film strip to my order :( )

Towards the end of my 10th playthrough (Yukiho normal end, a deliberate Yayoi bad end, hyper mode and 7 good ends) and over 100 hours i wanted to actually understand what was going on in the story. More than just the very very basics i understood with my Japanese knowledge back then. This was the final reason why i took up formal Japanese lessons (in class/with private teacher) again, after a break of 13 years and several failed attempts of self studying. I wanted to have something to force me to keep at it, since i always kept saying "i'll do it tomorrow" when i tried to self study, and having a weekly class was something i couldn't just push off to another day. So at that point i definitely was a serious im@s fan.

I didn't finish that 10th playthrough (Chihaya btw) until about 1.5 years later, when i thought my Japanese was ready now. I then also finished the remaining routes, and then went for the Yukiho good end i deliberately kept until the very end.
This is one reason why im@s is really special to me, it was the reason why i finally brought my Japanese to a level where i can easily talk to people, play games, read books and so on.

From there on, i bought a lot of stuff around im@s, including the full set of limited edition BluRays (including all G4U volumes), figurines, games and a bunch of CDs. And i always dreamed of going to one of the concerts.

The mobile games never really interested me, since they lack gameplay. I tried ML for a bit, but since it was simply screen tapping i gave it up quickly.

When 10th was announced, i decided to not continue simply dreaming of going to an im@s live, but to actually try and go, it was the 10 years anniversary after all. Through animagic4u i was invited to HPT (Houkago P Time), and there i learned a whole other level of im@s fandom (calls, pen lights, UOs, producer cards and more), and i was inevitably drawn into it. Going to 10th really has been on of the best experiences in my life by being able to go all out about im@s and sharing all this with other im@s fans. So far i never met another fan and i don't know if there are any others in Switzerland at all. So meeting up with the people from HPT and spend time with them in Akiba, game centers, for meals, in line for buppan and at the concert itself was a real blast, especially animagic4u and her boyfriend, Leo, Menchi, Mizuki, Mahouko and Azu were fun to hang out with.

Apart from the people there was the im@s theme cafe which itself is kind of a mini live and the im@s songs only karaoke which were also a lot of fun.

And there was buppan, the sales of 10th anniversary concert goods on Friday before the concert. I got up at 04:15, got on the train on 05:02, arrived at Seibu Dome around 6, and then lined up and waited. There were already about 2000 people before me in the line and sales started at 10. But the waiting wasn't so bad, since there were a lot of people around to talk with and who also had to kill time. At 12:15 it was finally my time to buy stuff, and i spent over 70'000 Yen. The only regret i have is that i forgot to buy a 10th commemorative towel. But first an foremost, i got my hands on the 765pro 10th penlights:

And then i lined up at the other line (alone this time) and waited for another 2 hours to buy the 3 special CDs.

And of course there was the concert itself... And it blasted me away. The depiction in the game or the anime with the people boasting penlights and UOs (ultra oranges, glow sticks you "break" and then they glow brightly for about 2 minutes and then start to fade off quickly) and doing calls (those "hey, hey, hey" and so on shouts) are not an exaggeration, in contrary, they are much more prominent at an actual concert. You are not simply watching an im@s concert, you are part of it, and it is amazing.
And then there were also the really emotional moments that moved me to tears and still do when i think about them. Starting with Haruka's seiyuu shouting "Producer, domu desu yo! Domu!", to Azumin (Yukiho's seiyuu) shouting "Yaaaaaay!!!!" before starting to sing Alright* (just like in the anime episode), Iori's seiyuu's voice caving in and starting to cry during matane and the whole dome shouting "gambare!", immediately followed by Azumin (Yukiho) performing first step (which is a really special song to begin with since it appears in Yukiho's story in im@s 2, being written by Yukiho in game, and by Azumin herself for Yukiho in reality) and almost starting to cry as well, the announcment of the original cast still being in the PS4 game, up to the talk between the seiyuus of Haruka, Chihaya, Iori, Azusa, Ami/Mami and Makoto about how they started off 10 years ago and how they never expected to stand in a dome in front of 40'000 people when they auditioned for the arcade game.

Going to 10th made me an even more hardcore im@s fan, and if i can i'll go to 11th as well, i don't care about the cost (living in Switzerland, being a programmer and single helps a lot with the cost point though).

So much about my history with im@s (i wrote way too much and it took me 2 hours...).

Up to this point, im@s is first and foremost about the characters for me, and everything else is connected to them (the games, the music, the anime, the concerts). This is why i need something to get me into the characters, and why i'm still not into CG and ML. On the other hand 876pro had something to flesh the characters out and make them dear to me (first and foremost Ai). Because of this and because i still couldn't get into the CG and ML characters, i'm really happy that the PS4 game will use the original cast.

About CG and ML: I need something to get me invested into the characters, something that fleshes out these characters and puts some meat on their bones.
I was hoping for the CG anime would do that for me, but so far it doesn't, since it failed to explore and develop most of the characters, and the ones it did don't interest me. My impressions are "average anime main girl" Uzuki , "wannabe Chihaya" Rin, "faceless Sidekick" Mio and "pointless chuuni" Ranko. Sorry to the fans if i got any of the names wrong, but that just shows how bad of a job the anime is doing in selling those girls to me.
So my current hope rests on Starlight Stage, since i really would like to get into the spin offs.

On a side not about the characters: Originally i only had the visuals as a reference and i was most interested in Iori, although the bunny always irritated me, so it was a tie between Yukiho and Iori. When i found out about Iori's character (which was quite early) she immediately went to rock bottom in my popularity list and still is there.

And i really have to copy animagic4u here:
アイマス最高!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:08:03 pm by Naryoril »

Saturos

• Producer
  • Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 03:56:02 pm »
And of course there was the concert itself... And it blasted me away. The depiction in the game or the anime with the people boasting penlights and UOs (ultra oranges, glow sticks you "break" and then they glow brightly for about 2 minutes and then start to fade off quickly) and doing calls (those "hey, hey, hey" and so on shouts) are not an exaggeration, in contrary, they are much more prominent at an actual concert. You are not simply watching an im@s concert, you are part of it, and it is amazing.
And then there were also the really emotional moments that moved me to tears and still do when i think about them. Starting with Haruka's seiyuu shouting "Producer, domu desu yo! Domu!", to Azumin (Yukiho's seiyuu) shouting "Yaaaaaay!!!!" before starting to sing Alright* (just like in the anime episode), Iori's seiyuu's voice caving in and starting to cry during matane and the whole dome shouting "gambare!", immediately followed by Azumin (Yukiho) performing first step (which is a really special song to begin with since it appears in Yukiho's story in im@s 2, being written by Yukiho in game, and by Azumin herself for Yukiho in reality) and almost starting to cry as well, the announcment of the original cast still being in the PS4 game, up to the talk between the seiyuus of Haruka, Chihaya, Iori, Azusa, Ami/Mami and Makoto about how they started off 10 years ago and how they never expected to stand in a dome in front of 40'000 people when they auditioned for the arcade game.

This. So much this. I may have spent a lot (under my situation) to get to and attend the 10th, but as probably a once in a lifetime chance for me, it was well worth it. Also, I'm very jealous of the penlights, regardless of how much I'm trying to tell myself that I don't need them.

And you know where this was at :P

MAKO MAKO RIIIIIIIIIN!!

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 04:02:23 pm »
Wow, lots of replies with great stories. Makes me feel like a lame secondary in comparison to you guys who have been around since 2007-2009. :p

@MetalPredat0r

Yes!  I beat you by 1 year.  I guess that's why I always beat you in Mario Kart and Smash.

Unfortunately, I don't contribute anything to this site or the wikia. 

Still can't catch up to my Ryu, though! ;)

As for contribution, if you have any sort of fan work or thing to discuss, you're welcome to discuss it anytime. As for the wiki, if you feel you have something to add or improve something, you can always make an account.

About CG and ML: I need something to get me invested into the characters, something that fleshes out these characters and puts some meat on their bones.
I was hoping for the CG anime would do that for me, but so far it doesn't, since it failed to explore and develop most of the characters, and the ones it did don't interest me. My impressions are "average anime main girl" Uzuki , "wannabe Chihaya" Rin, "faceless Sidekick" Mio and "pointless chuuni" Ranko. Sorry to the fans if i got any of the names wrong, but that just shows how bad of a job the anime is doing in selling those girls to me.
So my current hope rests on Starlight Stage, since i really would like to get into the spin offs.

On a side not about the characters: Originally i only had the visuals as a reference and i was most interested in Iori, although the bunny always irritated me, so it was a tie between Yukiho and Iori. When i found out about Iori's character (which was quite early) she immediately went to rock bottom in my popularity list and still is there.

I can understand its difficult to get into CG or ML, but I do recommend downloading the ML Drama Tracks from Yukipo.com as an ML starting point. Each album has Drama Tracks that show them interacting with one another and it gives a decent insight to who they are. I recommend going ML before CG because ML has a more cohesive narrative and has room for character development due to the smaller, static cast. CG, I can understand is extremely difficult to get into due to the massive amount of characters and lack of true narrative (anime aside). Just don't make the Movie your ML starting point, it did a TERRIBLE job in showing who they are.

As for favorite character: I kinda had a similar experience. At first, my favorite was Hibiki due to her design, but as I looked more into the characters, my favorite 765 idol changed into Ritsuko, although Hibiki is still in my top five.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 04:10:25 pm »
And you know where this was at :P

Right next to the im@s arcade machines in Hey in Akihabara. I finally got a chance to play arcadem@s there, yay!

But i'm surprised you found that (uninspired) message i wrote down there... and you even took a photo, damn.

I can understand its difficult to get into CG or ML, but I do recommend downloading the ML Drama Tracks from Yukipo.com as an ML starting point. Each album has Drama Tracks that show them interacting with one another and it gives a decent insight to who they are.

Listening is my worst skill when it comes to Japanese, so i have shied away from drama CDs so far (i also have some drama stuff on im@s CDs i own), but i guess it won't get better if i don't practice... I'll have a look at it, thanks.

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 04:16:33 pm »
Listening is my worst skill when it comes to Japanese, so i have shied away from drama CDs so far (i also have some drama stuff on im@s CDs i own), but i guess it won't get better if i don't practice... I'll have a look at it, thanks.

If it helps, they're all subbed if you use the right video player (i.e. I use something called MPC-HC to run the Drama Tracks and it always works in terms of subs).
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator