Username: Password:

Author Topic: Five Random Facts About Yourself  (Read 8773 times)

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
Re: Five Random Facts About Yourself
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 09:27:34 am »
5. I literally cannot eat green peppers without retching. The texture is beyond vile to me :/ I'm a really texture oriented person when I eat, and a lot of people would call me a ridiculously picky eater.
Feelings known. I dislike the texture of mushrooms (though I've been trying to get over it), and eggs are just an absolute no for me (scrambled, omelet, whatever). By extension, I tend to hate traditional breakfast foods (barring cereal and maybe yogurt) because eggs are so universal. (I've no problems with eggs when used in a recipe such as bread or cake, though)

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 02:57:41 pm »
You know, mushrooms just don't sit well with me either, and I'm especially one to take texture in account. The taste just... feels so rubbery to be any appetizing, so if I got 'em in something I'd hope the mixture drowns them out for the most part -- like a pizza or lasagna. By extension, eggs can be pretty bad should you screw up the heating process; the rubberiness is so very real, then.

Moreover to food horror, while I love me some good meaty fish like tuna and salmon, there's no way in absolute hell am I going to touch seafood -- like squid, oysters or whatever the fuck I'd be looking at; it's textbook for killing my appetite, what with my finding this gross to the extreme because of the impression I'd be straight up eating something fucking alive. Don't get me started on bugfood, either.

1. I consider myself bi/pansexual but I haven't been attracted to a real male in years. I still say bi instead of lesbian because there are some fictional males I like. hei from darker than black I don't know if that counts, but eh.

2. I have an obsession with penguins that everyone around me likes to tease me for. I collect stuffed penguins, I have a penguin wallet, phone case, and lots of clothing items... I think they're adorable! I'd love to meet one someday.

3. I want to be either a elementary school teacher, a psychologist, or teaching English in Japan. I honestly have no clue what I want to do with my life. I've been told I'm amazing with kids, and I have a soft spot for them, so it might be the former. I'm working at A Certain Deparment Store right now, though. (It's Macy's. I work at Macy's).

Interesting share in regards to orientation. Hei's also an awesome guy as is the series. While solid as a dub -- and actually among the first I watched online -- I should really get around to watching it subbed because Kana Hanazawa's in the sequel.

Moving on to penguins, I can see why. I used to be really fond of the show Pingu, a British-Swiss stop-motion series back in the 80s. It's really adorable because of the innocent scenarios and simply how the title character talks. He's like a baby.

Speaking of kids, I personally don't find myself as fortunate as you in regards to dealing with them. Being someone who grew in a previous, modest generation, I'm not much for dealing with what I'd have to describe as little shits most of the time.

My siblings and I had a whole closet shelf of stuffed animals; we used to make them come alive and interact with each other. A child's imagination is something that I've lost... or at least haven't used for a long time. It's definitely something to be cherished and not interfered with. Maybe this is why our society doesn't pressure children with work and reality.

Here, here. Not only is it imagination but relationships as well, as my end goes. It's a daunting thing to see how much can change following what can happen in your childhood, so I can really only echo your sentiments in regards to cherishment.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 03:27:16 pm by DeviantProtagonist »
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

Maka

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 09:37:27 pm »
I'm on mobile (like I am 95% of the time) so I can't quote individually, but yeah.

I did the same stuffed animal thing too. I would also do "shows" with my brother where we would pretend to be pokemon in a cartoon or something.

I wasn't able to watch Pingu as a kid, but I've seen some of the cartoons on YouTube, mostly in the form of compilations of Noot Noots.

i've never seen Ryuusei no Gemini because from what I've seen it's not the best sequel ever.

I actually love the texture of mushrooms, even after reading Uzumaki by Junji Ito (I don't consider myself a horror buff, but I love me some well-done horror). And I love squid too? I also love squid, but only cooked. I bought some dried shredded squid once and just ate a ton of it even though eberyone in my family was openly disgusted. But uncooked squid... Yeesh. I made the mistake of ordering squid sushi on my birthday once and it was like eating a tire hose.

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 03:30:33 pm »
1. When i was a child i beat the now 4 times Olympic champion in ski jumping Simon Amman. We trained together in the same club, but since he is 2 years older than me we hardly ever were in the same category. And even when, most of the time he was better, but there were cases when i was. As a sub fact: I was often bullied with the name Dumbo in the club because of my ears (there were other things too). Simon was one of the few that didn't bully me.

2. As a child i played zither (http://www.kidsnet.at/jpg2/zither4.jpg), which is an instrument that looks like a guitar and a harp mashed together. But actually i wanted to learn dulcimer (http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/hammered-dulcimer-353317.jpg) but i confused them as a child when i told my parents. I only found out about my confusion when my parents bought a zither (which was quite expensive). I didn't play it for long, since it was the wrong instrument and my teacher was horrible, he basically played for himself during the lessons and let me practice without helping much.
Nowadays i play ocarina more or less seriously. I own 8 of them now (i think) and 2 more are ordered. I had another one, but i dropped it and since they are made of clay it broke.

3. As a child i wanted to become an astrologer or a dive instructor. A few years later programmer came into the mix, and that's what i have become. I never told anyone about the dive instructor thing, but a few years ago my brother worked as one for about a year. I learned diving from him and since then we have gone on diving holidays once or twice every year.

4. I don't have a car (altough i can drive one), and the bicycle i own is not in a state where i can ride it. Apart from public transport (which is really really good around here near Zürich, probably only second to Tokyo, if at all) my only means of transport is my motorcycle, a Yamaha TDM 850. Since the weather is good this weekend, i might take it out for a spin for the first time this year.

5. I started learning Japanese when i was about 12 years old. Everybody was really confused why i wanted to do that, but luckily my parents supported me and paid private lessons. I stopped about 2 or 3 years later. After about 13 years and several attempts of self teaching (they all failed quickly due to "i'll do it tomorrow") i played im@s 2. After 8 playthroughs i decided i finally wanted to really understand the story. So i took classes for a year and switched to private lessons then. I have been doing those private lessons for about 2.5 years now, and it really paid off (together with wanikani.com for learning reading kanji). By now i can play games and read manga or light novels without all that much trouble, although i'm still pretty slow at it.

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 05:14:02 pm »
1. When i was a child i beat the now 4 times Olympic champion in ski jumping Simon Amman. We trained together in the same club, but since he is 2 years older than me we hardly ever were in the same category. And even when, most of the time he was better, but there were cases when i was. As a sub fact: I was often bullied with the name Dumbo in the club because of my ears (there were other things too). Simon was one of the few that didn't bully me.

That's pretty darn awesome. I would have loved to have known someone famous like that before they were famous, but what can you do.
Still, kudos to Simon for not bullying you! That's the worst.
For the record, big ears are cute. Just ask Gail Carson Levine, where the handsome prince in her story Fairest was well-known for having large ears. It made him charming.

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 06:47:37 pm »
Naryoril, do you ever feel like learning to play dulcimer nowadays? I like listening to dulcimer. However I think that percussive instruments in general probably aren't as satisfying to play because it's not possible to vary the dynamics of a note after it has been struck.

Also, everyone, it's OK to make more than one post with random facts about yourself; if you feel inclined to do so. ^^

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 07:32:05 pm »
Naryoril, do you ever feel like learning to play dulcimer nowadays? I like listening to dulcimer. However I think that percussive instruments in general probably aren't as satisfying to play because it's not possible to vary the dynamics of a note after it has been struck.

No, i don't. The type of music that is played here with a dulcimer (or a zither for that matter) doesn't appeal to me at all. I didn't want to learn it back then for the music either, but it looked fun to hit the strings with a hammer, or something like that.

If i felt like learning it, i probably simply would. But for now, i'm more than happy with my ocarinas: they sound beautiful, you can take them with you without problems because they are small (there are decent plastic ones that aren't even in danger of breaking) and they are really special, because nobody knows them or has even heard of them.

Nayre

• Haisai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 06:15:39 pm »
Haha, this is interesting!  Here are mine.

1. My favorite teletubby was Tinky Winky.(the purple one that carried a red purse)

2. On my first day of kindergarten, my parents just left me in a classroom full of kids without telling me what was going on.  I wasn't familiar with the concept of "school" so I was very confused and scared.  I started crying nonstop, thinking I was abandoned.  Then sometime near the end of the day, during potty break, I experienced using the urinals for the first time.  I went in front of the thing and I just dropped everything, exposing my private parts to the other kids.  One of the boys started pointing and laughing at me.  I took this a sign of bullying, turned towards him, aimed at his face(more around his upper body), and released.   He ran out of the bathroom crying and I just walked out of there feeling like a bada$$.(I don't remember receiving any major form of punishment from this, just a call home and a slap on the wrist, and you can imagine both our parents' reactions lol)  After said event, a boy went up to me and enlightened me with his words of wisdom: "You shouldn't pee on people."  We've been good friends ever since.

3.  I'm a highly sensitive person.  I can get really happy and excited over something miniscule and I tend to overreact(was crying like a baby when they finally released Hibiki's Shiny Smile m@ster version), on the other hand I can get mad or upset just as easily.(a part I don't like)

4.  I love eggs.  My mom always cooked eggs like a pancake, and she called it "scrambled".  The other version(the one with yolk intact) she'd cook until the sides were all really crispy(yolk still runny though(so yummy!)) and she called that "fried".  So when I went to Denny's for the first time and the waitress asked if I wanted my eggs over easy, sunny side up, or whatever, I was like huh?  :o  Recently, inspired from the Cinderella Girls anime, particularly the Miku x Riina episode(cute episode btw), I tried drizzling soy sauce over my eggs over easy(or in my case, over medium high  8)) instead of the usual salt and pepper, and it was bomb.  10/10

5.  I am Filipino with a little Chinese in the mix.  Though more people seem to think I'm Chinese for some reason.  There was this one time when I was waiting for a metro bus out in the rain.  Then this elderly Chinese woman went up to me and shared her umbrella.  She was talking to me in her language, I just politely smiled and nodded along lol.

(Oh, I'm not gay btw, in case you think that was what number 1 was implying.  I just happened to like him(for some odd reason) as a character.) 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:29:04 pm by Nayre »

Nayre

• Haisai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 06:52:29 pm »
3. Looking far back as I can, the first time I admittedly crushed on a fictional character was with Princess Camille of the Japanese animated film, Little Nemo. She was dignified, yet had that soft side. It also helps that the story dealt with the intricacies of dreaming.

I recall watching this a lot as a child, but I can't remember much about it other than that Tropicana ad in the beginning and that flying magic bed.

5. I literally cannot eat green peppers without retching. The texture is beyond vile to me :/

This is me with tomatoes.  I keep trying it every few years or so but I can't get myself to like the taste.  Ketchup is out of the question.

I was often bullied with the name Dumbo in the club because of my ears (there were other things too). Simon was one of the few that didn't bully me.

I can relate to this.  My mom always comforted me with the superstition that having big ears means you live longer(or something).

If i felt like learning it, i probably simply would. But for now, i'm more than happy with my ocarinas: they sound beautiful, you can take them with you without problems because they are small (there are decent plastic ones that aren't even in danger of breaking) and they are really special, because nobody knows them or has even heard of them.

Can you play Zelda's Lullaby or other OoT songs?  That would be awesome.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:51:08 pm by Nayre »

Nayre

• Haisai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 06:42:01 pm »
1. I was born with my umbilical cord wrapped around my neck.

You and I have this in common.  They had to suction me out, otherwise I wasn't going to make it.

Bonus 6. I still sleep with a stuffed toy shaped like a little man I call "Bro". He's warm and soft and feels like a real person but he doesn't kick you or force you onto the edge of the bed like real people do so he's more comfy to sleep with. Since I'm not romantically attracted to anyone as of now, he's my boyfriend.

I used to have a stuffed white polar bear I used to sleep with too up until high school.  I called her Sarah and she had this cute red ribbon tied around her neck like a little scarf.  I still have her actually, kept in a safe place.  She's one of my precious childhood possessions.

I've come across various post-accidents in my time, yet there was one I witnessed first-hand. Mom and I came upon a T junction leading to the town we've opted to stop by. Right then, a car was pulling from the town road whilst a pick-up truck was speeding from the main highway -- the latter coming opposite to where we were.

In that instant, I saw those two vehicles literally disappear in a gust of dirt, as the car was T-boned by the truck. Fucking ow. When it settled, we sought to pull over along other pedestrians who were rattled. All three of the occupants were okay -- the man in the car sustained a broken leg, which is amazing considering the angle of impact. The pick-up had an elderly couple going, with the male driver having convulsions the moment he realized this incident. We had to calm him down following the 911 call.

Overall, things like this really do open your eyes -- it's definitely not something to take for granted. Shit, not only am I glad the result came as well as it did, but I can wholly understand the implications of PTSD; I can still somewhat see the incident reoccurring every time I pull up to that T junction. Pretty scary stuff.

Thankfully, I've never been in a car accident, but there was this instance where I could've been in one when I was younger.  I don't really remember the specifics, but I was supposed to go do errands with my dad this one late afternoon.  Before I could hop in the car with my him though, my mom said something and made me stay.  Later that night, my dad hadn't returned home yet.  Suddenly we got a call from the hospital saying that he was in an accident.  My mom was so worried like she didn't know what to do.  I was around 6 years old at the time and I had 2 little sisters who were still a baby and an infant.  She rushed to the hospital taking us all with her, there were some kind people that felt sorry for us and assisted us.  Everything was a blur so I don't remember much else.  But my dad ended up okay in the end, thankfully.

We went to check out the car some time later.  My dad drove an old red mazda with only one passenger seat.  The side he was hit on was the passenger side, which was completely totaled.  Needless to say, if I had gone in the car with him that day, I would have been killed.  Scary to think about, unknowingly escaping death like that.  It's like it failed to get me when I was born, waited some years and tried again.  Makes me think of how fleeting and random life can be.  You can just easily lose your life without even knowing what happened or having done anything really.

My siblings and I had a whole closet shelf of stuffed animals; we used to make them come alive and interact with each other. A child's imagination is something that I've lost... or at least haven't used for a long time. It's definitely something to be cherished and not interfered with. Maybe this is why our society doesn't pressure children with work and reality.

Haha!  We had a mountain of stuffed toys back in the day too.  Me and one of my little sis named every single one and gave each of them personalities (lol we even gave each of them special attacks for those times we played "Toy Wars" where we pit them all against each other tournament style)  and we had them all role-play in different stories.  My main was my bear, Sarah, and would always have her as one of the main protagonists.

And I love squid too? I also love squid, but only cooked. I bought some dried shredded squid once and just ate a ton of it even though eberyone in my family was openly disgusted. But uncooked squid... Yeesh. I made the mistake of ordering squid sushi on my birthday once and it was like eating a tire hose.

Aye, calamari and pusit is where it's at.   8)

Alright, this will prolly be my last post on this thread.  I shared a lot more than I had planned to.  Just wanted to reply to as many people as I could lol.  Was fun!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:20:59 pm by Nayre »

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 05:09:34 pm »
Thankfully, I've never been in a car accident, but there was this instance where I could've been in one when I was younger.  I don't really remember the specifics, but I was supposed to go do errands with my dad this one late afternoon.  Before I could hop in the car with my him though, my mom said something and made me stay.  Later that night, my dad hadn't returned home yet.  Suddenly we got a call from the hospital saying that he was in an accident.  My mom was so worried like she didn't know what to do.  I was around 6 years old at the time and I had 2 little sisters who were still a baby and an infant.  She rushed to the hospital taking us all with her, there were some kind people that felt sorry for us and assisted us.  Everything was a blur so I don't remember much else.  But my dad ended up okay in the end, thankfully.

We went to check out the car some time later.  My dad drove an old red mazda with only one passenger seat.  The side he was hit on was the passenger side, which was completely totaled.  Needless to say, if I had gone in the car with him that day, I would have been killed.  Scary to think about, unknowingly escaping death like that.  It's like it failed to get me when I was born, waited some years and tried again.  Makes me think of how fleeting and random life can be.  You can just easily lose your life without even knowing what happened or having done anything really.

That's quite a story, Nayre! The fact that anyone could die on any given day due to random causes is a scary thought, but it's also a good reminder for us all not to take our lives for granted and to make the most of what time we have. Thanks for sharing!

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 08:07:11 pm »
I used to have a stuffed white polar bear I used to sleep with too up until high school.  I called her Sarah and she had this cute red ribbon tied around her neck like a little scarf.  I still have her actually, kept in a safe place.  She's one of my precious childhood possessions.

Haha!  We had a mountain of stuffed toys back in the day too.  Me and one of my little sis named every single one and gave each of them personalities (lol we even gave each of them special attacks for those times we played "Toy Wars" where we pit them all against each other tournament style)  and we had them all role-play in different stories.  My main was my bear, Sarah, and would always have her as one of the main protagonists.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. XD

My little sister and I used to the same thing. We still have all those stuffed animals and will probably keep playing with them our whole lives just because it's so nostalgic and really brings back your childhood. Ah~, fond memories.

That's quite a story, Nayre! The fact that anyone could die on any given day due to random causes is a scary thought, but it's also a good reminder for us all not to take our lives for granted and to make the most of what time we have. Thanks for sharing!

Seconded.
It must have freaked you out to have to remember that. I'm so glad your dad made it out alright, and I'm glad you made it through too!

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!