Username: Password:

Author Topic: The General Random Thoughts and Conversation Thread.  (Read 70948 times)

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
Re: The General Random Thoughts and Conversation Thread.
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 02:35:38 am »
Finally broke down and got some eggs.

I hope I can use the rest of them before they go bad.
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Ivan The Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 03:04:29 pm »
Eggs are good.

On the another subject, my head has been hurting badly during the day this summer. The heat is killing me.

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 10:28:02 pm »
Deviled eggs. Dean, those things are SO GOOD, man.

When I get home from Germany, I think I'll make that thread, then, if not just for myself. It'll be awesome to have other singers share some covers, too! I know Wrath sings. She's very good, too.

Eggs are good.

On the another subject, my head has been hurting badly during the day this summer. The heat is killing me.

Very true.

You're in summer? Can I live with you? This freezing spring weather really doesn't do it for me.

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 04:32:44 am »
Oh my god, eggs and bean sprouts everyday. At least today's the last of the bean sprouts. They're about to go bad.

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Ivan The Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 08:30:46 am »
Very true.

You're in summer? Can I live with you? This freezing spring weather really doesn't do it for me.

Better hypothermia than heat stroke. And we're a third world country, please don't go.

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2015, 06:40:44 pm »
Oh my god, eggs and bean sprouts everyday. At least today's the last of the bean sprouts. They're about to go bad.

Send me your bean sprouts. I don't even know why, but I'm obsessed with them.

Better hypothermia than heat stroke. And we're a third world country, please don't go.

I prefer warmth, but I get you.
What country are you in?

On a totally unrelated-but-related-to-the-aforementioned-karaoke topic, what do you guys think about A Capella covers? Now I don't mean whole A Capella GROUPS that sing arrangements, I mean one person and a mike with no music.

Do you tend to find these better when it's a faster paced song, or a slower song? When there are music breaks, do you guys prefer people to leave a silence, or add their own little riffs?

Personally, I tend to like slower songs. Faster songs tend to have less blank space, but I like raw slow songs with nothing added, usually, just because it sounds so pretty.

(guys I am in such a singy mood I'm sorry)

EDIT:
Been meaning to ask this of all of you who have been to Japan.
What cities have the highest concentration of English speakers, do you think? I really want to go one day, but my Japnese is limited; I know essential phrases and a lot of useless words I'll probably never actually use like "crazy". Have you found you need to have strong Japanese knowledge to vacation there, or do people speak enough English for us native English-speakers to actually get stuff done?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:43:15 pm by Amazing_Grace »

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

Ivan The Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 07:57:36 pm »
I prefer warmth, but I get you.
What country are you in?

Philippines.

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 08:23:46 pm »
Philippines.

Really? I didn't realize they were a third world country. I've had friends from there before.

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2015, 03:35:53 am »
Send me your bean sprouts. I don't even know why, but I'm obsessed with them.

They've all been cooked now, which is good since they would have started rotting today. Now I've got a fridge with... fried potatoes, slightly burnt hushpuppies that are soggy from being left in the fridge too long, okonomiyaki, and some mixture of egg, bean sprout, leafy vegetable, and ground pork.

What cities have the highest concentration of English speakers, do you think? I really want to go one day, but my Japnese is limited; I know essential phrases and a lot of useless words I'll probably never actually use like "crazy". Have you found you need to have strong Japanese knowledge to vacation there, or do people speak enough English for us native English-speakers to actually get stuff done?

Tokyo. I don't even hafta think about that one.

You should be able to find someone who speaks enough English to ask for directions and stuff, but you both might struggle picking words. I wanna say the metro and JR guys should have someone around that can show you what stops to take, since Tokyo has a bunch of tourists and they should be used to it. Some stations even have a tourist booth with multilingual people that you can go to. If nothing else, find another tourist, and ask them if they speak English. Tokyo has lots.

Outside Tokyo... I dunno. I'd say the best spots to put money on a bet would be... major railway stations, the hotels next to them, really famous attractions, and the hotels next to those. The English might be broken, but little bit a creativity and you should be able to get by. Shrine priests probably won't speak a wit of the language. Maybe get a phrasebook and bring it around with you. It might be easier to point at the phrase you want to say, then fill in the blanks by just telling them.

Many tourist attractions will have pamphlets in both English and Japanese, even obscure ones. The Japanese ones are sometimes (often times?) more detailed than the English ones, though.

If you're really good at gettin' around though, you won't need to use much Japanese to get to some places on the map. A lot signs have both Japanese and English on them, and the power of the internet (and some paper and pencil) can fill in the rest. Just a note when map making - be sure to write down intersection names, since streets don't always have names.

Restaurant menus are a different story, though - you might have to tap into the native human language of points and grunts if they don't have an English menu. Don't expect one.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 03:39:22 am by Cael K. »

kozu

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2015, 10:38:06 am »
Just dropped by to see what's been going on.

Man the place has changed.

#project-imas - the original legend

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2015, 01:46:14 pm »
Hey~, quite the old-timer there! 2009 goes a long way, so welcome back.

On a totally unrelated-but-related-to-the-aforementioned-karaoke topic, what do you guys think about A Capella covers? Now I don't mean whole A Capella GROUPS that sing arrangements, I mean one person and a mike with no music.

Do you tend to find these better when it's a faster paced song, or a slower song? When there are music breaks, do you guys prefer people to leave a silence, or add their own little riffs?

Personally, I tend to like slower songs. Faster songs tend to have less blank space, but I like raw slow songs with nothing added, usually, just because it sounds so pretty.

(guys I am in such a singy mood I'm sorry)

A Capella's in addition would be welcome -- I feel it's better to have freedom of choice to move karaoke's by. That being said, I'm more partial to the slower, quiet pace since it eases people along and in the case of actual singers, sound that much more pleasant. Speaking of the aforementioned topic, I'm thinking of posting something similar, if not the same.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:35:21 pm by DeviantProtagonist »
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2015, 12:39:00 am »
They've all been cooked now, which is good since they would have started rotting today. Now I've got a fridge with... fried potatoes, slightly burnt hushpuppies that are soggy from being left in the fridge too long, okonomiyaki, and some mixture of egg, bean sprout, leafy vegetable, and ground pork.

I'll still take them.

I really like bean sprouts you guys.

Tokyo. I don't even hafta think about that one.

You should be able to find someone who speaks enough English to ask for directions and stuff, but you both might struggle picking words. I wanna say the metro and JR guys should have someone around that can show you what stops to take, since Tokyo has a bunch of tourists and they should be used to it. Some stations even have a tourist booth with multilingual people that you can go to. If nothing else, find another tourist, and ask them if they speak English. Tokyo has lots.

Outside Tokyo... I dunno. I'd say the best spots to put money on a bet would be... major railway stations, the hotels next to them, really famous attractions, and the hotels next to those. The English might be broken, but little bit a creativity and you should be able to get by. Shrine priests probably won't speak a wit of the language. Maybe get a phrasebook and bring it around with you. It might be easier to point at the phrase you want to say, then fill in the blanks by just telling them.

Many tourist attractions will have pamphlets in both English and Japanese, even obscure ones. The Japanese ones are sometimes (often times?) more detailed than the English ones, though.

If you're really good at gettin' around though, you won't need to use much Japanese to get to some places on the map. A lot signs have both Japanese and English on them, and the power of the internet (and some paper and pencil) can fill in the rest. Just a note when map making - be sure to write down intersection names, since streets don't always have names.

Restaurant menus are a different story, though - you might have to tap into the native human language of points and grunts if they don't have an English menu. Don't expect one.

Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely keep all that in mind.
I have an iPad app that has handy Japanese for important phrases, emergencies, and ordering food. I'll keep it handy for whenever we go.

A Capella's in addition would be welcome -- I feel it's better to have freedom of choice to move karaoke's by. That being said, I'm more partial to the slower, quiet pace since it eases people along and in the case of actual singers, sound that much more pleasant. Speaking of the aforementioned topic, I'm thinking of posting something similar, if not the same.

Karaoke is always a blast. I currently have nothing I'm particularly thrilled with to post, but I think I'll go ahead and get it set up anyways.
I've always loved A Capella covers. I just think they're so beautiful when done right.

~EDIT~:
I did the thing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:31:24 am by Amazing_Grace »

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

Ivan The Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2015, 05:51:54 am »
It's funny that I woke up earlier today.

Accoun

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2015, 12:01:58 am »
Finished reading Syrobonkers. It's a huge (over 80 pages in my version. There are quite a few pictures, but that's still over 75 pages of text) interview with Aphex Twin. It's kinda interesting, because he is known for straight-out lying in interviews and all-around spreading misinformation and myths about himself. Hell, in this interview he admitted to lying about his girlfriend being his wife and having children together while some time later he talks about his children like nothing happened (although that interview was conducted over a few days, or perhaps weeks, so that might have something to do with it), so we never know what is actually true and what not. Even the ending is like that, with the interviewer asking [I suggest not clicking it if you're interested in reading the thing yourself] if the interviewed person doesn't feel guilty about pretending to be Aphex for the interview. There's also of course lots of gear talk (the interview is a friend of Aphex and a fellow musician), which I like.

Sadly, it was taken down by the author, so you'd have to find a copy online.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2015, 06:10:47 am »
Finally installed Yosemite on my Mac. I decided to do a clean install instead of installing over my Mavericks partition. Since I'm starting from scratch that means there are so many settings to adjust, commands to run and apps to install! Good thing I kept a bootable copy of my old system or else I wouldn't be able to get much done.