Username: Password:

Author Topic: The General Random Thoughts and Conversation Thread.  (Read 65752 times)

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: The General Random Thoughts and Conversation Thread.
« Reply #345 on: March 10, 2016, 04:37:44 am »
I haven't decided if I want to find some really expensive whiskey or something, because reading over some of the reports I've gotten over the last few days...

I'll sum it up briefly, although well, it's one hell of a long tail.

"Japan is dead. Long live Japan."
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Ivan The Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 10, 2016, 08:47:59 am »
I should buy an ice pack or something.

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 13, 2016, 09:11:22 am »
Noticed that we almost have 1000 members on the forum.  Of course, most people aren't around anymore or just come and go.  Luckily, there's a handful of older fans that are still sticking around.  So, please don't leave us. 

chikorita157

• わたし、気になります!
    • View Profile
    • Chikorita157's Anime Blog
« Reply #348 on: March 15, 2016, 09:08:20 pm »
Noticed that we almost have 1000 members on the forum.  Of course, most people aren't around anymore or just come and go.  Luckily, there's a handful of older fans that are still sticking around.  So, please don't leave us.

I lurk once in a while, but generally the last few months have been very busy aside from now that I am working and hardly have time, except for after work and weekends.

Aside from that, I got my refund and aside from paying off debt off, I finally got my thunderbolt dual display setup that I planned on doing for a while since I needed at least one Thunderbolt monitor to make it work. While it's expensive, the LG monitor I got has very good picture quality although I got it as an open-box. which is $200 cheaper than new. Had to get a used Thunderbolt Dock to make the second monitor to work since it couldn't be hooked up directly. On the flipside, I only need one cable to be able to access everything.

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 15, 2016, 10:56:09 pm »
I lurk once in a while, but generally the last few months have been very busy aside from now that I am working and hardly have time, except for after work and weekends.

Oh, no.  You're fine.  I didn't mean it like that.  I guess I didn't word it very well.  Sorry, about that. Don't worry, I understand how busy life can get.  I was just talking about some people who moved on past im@s.

Oh, and those dual monitors set up look awesome.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:16:04 pm by mariokirby »

Ivan The Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 16, 2016, 10:36:37 am »
I generally don't post because I have nothing to say about the franchise myself.

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 02, 2016, 09:58:10 am »
Just an observation.  But, it's surprising to see how much money people are willing to spend on a particular kickstarter.  Like you'll see several people going for those high-end rewards of $1500-$4000 on one kickstarter.  I know it's their money and can do whatever they want with it which is fine.  Still, sometimes I wish I had that kind of money in my wallet.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:08:22 pm by mariokirby »

Ivan The Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 02, 2016, 06:02:28 pm »
Just an observation.  But, it's surprising to see how much money people are willing to spend on a particular kickstarter.  Like you'll see several people going for those high-end rewards of $1500-$4000 on one kickstarter.  I know it's their money and can do whatever they want with it which is fine.  Still, sometimes I wish I had that kind of money in my wallet.

If I had that kind of money in my wallet, I'll buy more groceries, medicines or more meagerly useful stuff myself. Besides, I never had a graphics card my whole life. Like, seriously.

But speaking of medicines, I'm officially sick again and on a restricted diet. It's a bit harder than it looks.

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 06, 2016, 03:14:07 am »
I've been recently trying to crack eggs with one hand.  (I remember in the past Haruka doing that during the Gero Gero Kitchen episode).

I had to watch some youtube tutorials.  Apparently, if I hit the egg too hard, then it comes out messy.  But, if I hit it too lightly, then nothing comes out and hitting it again will cause it to be messy.  So, I'm trying to figure out the right amount of force needed without messing up.

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2016, 04:11:53 am »
I've been recently trying to crack eggs with one hand.  (I remember in the past Haruka doing that during the Gero Gero Kitchen episode).

I had to watch some youtube tutorials.  Apparently, if I hit the egg too hard, then it comes out messy.  But, if I hit it too lightly, then nothing comes out and hitting it again will cause it to be messy.  So, I'm trying to figure out the right amount of force needed without messing up.

It might help to think about how deep to make the crack, or in other terms, how far to push the edge through the egg. Give the egg a nice, quick rap in the middle, and have the crack go just deep enough that you can complete the split with your fingers. I think gravity should also help for this last part too.

Do it fast and accurate enough and there shouldn't be any shell pieces falling out. Too slow or too shallow and the shell won't split cleanly and will crumble, dropping shell pieces. Too deep, and obviously the egg blows up in your hands. You need speed to make this happen, but all I think about is how deep (or if you prefer, when to pull the strike back). Theoretically, even if I hit it pretty fast, the egg will only crack as far as the gash I give it.
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 06, 2016, 09:42:42 am »
^

Ah, thanks Chef Cael for the advice.  I wasn't expecting someone to give me some pointers.  But, that was helpful.  This is just one of those random things I wanted to try after watching people do it.

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 06, 2016, 10:42:57 am »
Looking back to it, I did always wonder how Haruka cracked eggs like that. Blergh, it's hard enough trying to keep my hands dry as is.
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 06, 2016, 11:02:10 am »
It might help to think about how deep to make the crack, or in other terms, how far to push the edge through the egg. Give the egg a nice, quick rap in the middle, and have the crack go just deep enough that you can complete the split with your fingers. I think gravity should also help for this last part too.

Do it fast and accurate enough and there shouldn't be any shell pieces falling out. Too slow or too shallow and the shell won't split cleanly and will crumble, dropping shell pieces. Too deep, and obviously the egg blows up in your hands. You need speed to make this happen, but all I think about is how deep (or if you prefer, when to pull the strike back). Theoretically, even if I hit it pretty fast, the egg will only crack as far as the gash I give it.

I was taught by a chef a long time ago that the best to crack an egg was actually on a flat surface - cracking it by using an edge would always end up with some fragments of the shell in the resulting exit. That and you don't risk breaking the yolk inside if you crack it against a flat surface, although this may not be an issue depending what you want to do with the egg (Yolk splitting/scrambled eggs/making a cake or whatever).

It takes quite a bit of practice though, although I have been caught dual cracking eggs when I'm really in a hurry (not perfectly cleanly though due to being one hand dominant) and it's kinda tricky to be using a specific finger to part the shell, although apparently when you do it 12 eggs in a row perfectly without making a mess or skipping a beat, you look like a pro chef and I was told that they wished they filmed me doing it. (I've only ever pulled it off once, and I imagine I'll never do it again. That said, I'll probably not cook breakfast for 8 people in a hurry anytime soon again either.)

Bear in mind though that making a mistake by swinging too hard is a LOT worse than doing it by edge - sometimes you'll just end up with an entire egg on the table, and you're scratching your head about how an egg got out of a shell so quickly while still holding onto a shell that you could roll out flat in one piece.

More often, you hit the egg a little too hard and you leave behind a bit of the yolk as you move it to the pan.

Hitting not close enough results in a lot of problems too (Basically, if you don't swing quite hard enough, your second attempt WILL cause the entire egg on the table scenario), so it's not a novice trick - probably why the only people I know who know enough about the method to criticize my technique are chefs by trade.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 06, 2016, 07:40:36 pm »
^

Ah, thanks Setsuna for the tips.  Didn't know you had a bit of knowledge on culinary skills.  That's cool.

I'll admit it looks so Stylish seeing people do it.

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 08, 2016, 10:45:51 am »
The things you find cleaning up your house... 30 gigs still going strong! :P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:48:16 am by DeviantProtagonist »
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3