Username: Password:

Author Topic: The General Random Thoughts and Conversation Thread.  (Read 69709 times)

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: The General Random Thoughts and Conversation Thread.
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2015, 07:33:49 am »
I just finished reading a speech made by Senator Russ Feingold on October 25, 2001 about the USA Patriot Act.

https://epic.org/privacy/terrorism/usapatriot/feingold.html

He was the only senator who voted against the act (66 representatives voted against it in the House). It's a good read. Lots better than the bits and pieces I remember getting from watching the news back then.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:39:57 am by altuixde »

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2015, 03:34:59 am »
Did not feel this was "New Thread" material, so I posted it here.

A not-very-serious quiz about which 765 idol you would produce.

http://trybuzz.com/game/18373

I got Chihaya. :p
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2015, 03:53:54 am »

I got Producer lol

Nayre

• Haisai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2015, 04:03:12 am »

I got Broducer.  :o

Edit: Got Yukiho the 2nd time.
Makoto 3rd.  Dangit!  This quiz makes zero sense lol!  ::)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:07:45 am by Nayre »

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2015, 04:08:05 am »
I got Chihaya... how does it know? :o

Nayre

• Haisai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2015, 04:16:51 am »
I got Chihaya... how does it know? :o

No clue dood.  Trying to figure this thing out, but I just got Yayoi 3 times in a row clicking random ones...

Edit: After about 50 tries(trying to get Hibiki at least once), I never got her, Takane, Azusa, Ritsuko, or the twins at all...Most common was Yayoi.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:15:59 am by Nayre »

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2015, 08:03:00 pm »
I got Makoto on my first try.

It knows.

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

Vas

• Apprentice
  • Generic forum member
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2015, 03:59:21 am »
The website secretly tracks your IP and browsing history log to see which idol you've looked up the most on the wiki. :3 ...And...Well, unsurprisingly. I got Chihaya.
Not removing this sig until Kachou Fuugetsu becomes more than a 5-page side story.

Takechan

• Apprentice
  • I only have slight brain problems.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2015, 07:10:54 am »
No clue dood.  Trying to figure this thing out, but I just got Yayoi 3 times in a row clicking random ones...

Edit: After about 50 tries(trying to get Hibiki at least once), I never got her, Takane, Azusa, Ritsuko, or the twins at all...Most common was Yayoi.

Is it random? I managed to get Haruka on my first try so I have no idea if I got lucky or if you're just incredibly unlucky. xD

Amami Haruka desu!
I love HaruChiha way too much.
Steam: amamiharuka765
Twitter: TakeP765

Ivan The Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2015, 11:50:42 am »
I got Haruka. OAO

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2015, 04:07:35 pm »
I got Chihaya the first time, but it's not really something to write home about -- the results are fairly easy to manipulate as there's little question variety.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:09:15 pm by DeviantProtagonist »
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2015, 04:59:57 am »
Well, as it is, I sort of got tied up with a few major things. I sort of wanted to do im@s stuff, but... well...

None of them pleasant, mind you. Maybe I just need to vent my spleen (or what's left of it, anyway) while I try to get my thoughts in order.

a) As part of the inquiries I get, sometimes I get asked to evaluate projects, among other things, Kickstarter projects.

I don't mean in terms of 'Is the kickstarter a good idea?', I mean 'So how much money does a project actually need to ask for anyway?'

So to throw some random facts out there, if you want to run a project with nine staff, all being paid at minimum wage, paid at 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, as well as a support staff of one to handle the non game development (stuff like PR, HR, accounts and management), and stick them in a cheap office with the equipment they'll need to make a game, in Australia, it'll require a kickstarter of a million dollars.

I'll let that sink in.

The fun part? The biggest cost is the fact that the Australian Tax Office treats Kickstarter funds like income (Because it is, because it's not equity) and consequently, the money is taxed at the company tax rate of 30%. Or in short, the ATO claims 300k before you even get to touch any of that lovely million dollars.

Most of the rest of it is personnel (yes, at minimum wage which is 16 AU/hour, and that's before the employee gets taxed), licenses to operate (Adobe/3ds Max/ Virtual Studio/Unity /Music and sound licenses etc), and equipment, then the costs of the physical place, in that order.

In short? Anyone who says that game companies are greedy hasn't actually sat down to actually FIGURE out where the money goes. I just had the fun of figuring out what a million dollars gets you, and it's not much.

Now, this isn't even considering the caliber of the people working, this is just the straight math.

In other countries, the tax rate varies, although it's not all that low (You don't see anything sub 15% in a lot of places, short of Ireland, anyway).

b) Australian politics.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/citizenship-could-be-stripped-for-wide-range-of-offences-under-terror-laws-20150624-ghwv2y.html

All I have to say is this - Why don't we just SHOOT people we don't like? Clearly if they're too dangerous to be Australian, they're too dangerous to live, right?

If nothing else, we wouldn't have to deal with the farce that we have right now. On a side note, I'm looking for a new country to live in, if someone with enough money is willing to sponsor me. I frankly don't want to be anywhere near here when the obvious happens.

Problem is I can't take the United States, due to an outstanding matter regarding a previous US action where I was told in no uncertain terms what would happen if I did my job with the Associated Press. It involved addressed airmail to the hotel I would be posted at.

Before you ask, the only reason I didn't end up going was because the hotel ceased to operate the day before my flight. I guess I was lucky that I spent the extra 2 days exchanging bitter words with the US high command officer about that notice.

c) Censorship, or more accurately understanding how freedom of speech works.

One thing I get to deal with a lot is about how surprised people are when I tell them most people aren't actually in favour of freedom of speech, and actually like censorship over actual freedom of speech.

This topic comes up a significant number of times, usually because people find out I've done work with the Australian Classifications Board, and the conversation always turns towards how the board censors things unfairly.

Most people get rightfully insulted when I point out that most people actually like censorship, and would actually support censorship over any actual freedom of speech if given the chance.

It's a road I've been down a lot, but it always amounts to this - You don't really know if you support actual freedom of speech until you run across speech you don't like. You won't try to restrict speech you actually like.

I've been down that road more often than I'd like (due to my contract work), and then you really find out if you actually believe in it or not.

The answer for most people is a big irrevocable no. Most people don't like hearing things they don't like (It's circular, but quite true) and will call for the censorship of said item, because if they don't like the contents, clearly it must be bad.

Now, that doesn't mean you have to be tolerant of said speech (namely, you're free to apply the CONSEQUENCES of said speech to someone, and I strongly encourage people into doing so) but if someone wants to be a moron and open their mouths and reveal that fact, we don't actually have any right into stopping them, barring any actual contracts or other bits of law that prevent you from doing so.

I lose a lot of friends this way.

d) Education in Australia (at least NSW) cost wise jumped by about a factor of 20 to most people.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/tafe-teachers-and-students-furious-over-ghost-town-campus-20150624-ghw2qr

Considering that as a nation, we've been pushing people to 'get smarter', it's quite ironic that the next thing we do is jack up the cost of getting said people smarter by a factor of 10 or so.

Then you have to couple in the fact that these young people then have to chase a shrinking job market (statistically, we're something like 50 people per actual job vacancy at the moment, and that number is rising), an inflating housing market (so on top of the massive loans for education, we're going to have our lucky young people chase loans of between 700k-1m) and a deflating wage market (Median wages have actually gone backward. In short, getting a pay rise is not a thing, and any rises usually are compensated by a significant increase in the amount of actual work (hours/effort) done.)

Essentially, I get the feeling all the young people in this country (and worldwide) just got royally screwed, and I have no idea what's going to happen next.

It might just be me, but maybe the only correct option is to consider taking up alcoholism.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Ivan The Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2015, 04:05:50 pm »
I dunno where to put this, but this video is IM@s related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDr6dlsGzjI
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:07:52 pm by Ivan The Mouse »

OniZetto

• ちーちゃんは徹底してるな!
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2015, 07:43:50 pm »
Akabane-P really gets his job done!! XDDDD

My mouth wide-opened when he mimics Yayoi's greeting words!!

空は限界を全然持っていない、トップをめざし続けなさい!お願い!アイマス
Oni's iM@S Racing Project - Let's Aim for the Podium!!

Ivan The Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2015, 08:16:56 am »
Akabane-P really gets his job done!! XDDDD

My mouth wide-opened when he mimics Yayoi's greeting words!!

Yes, indeed. He got Yayoi's quirks down to a T.

But that imitation by Takeuchi-P is also funny. And Matsuzaki Rei's face when he does it.