Username: Password:

Author Topic: Stereoscopic Gallery  (Read 7848 times)

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
Stereoscopic Gallery
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:34:20 am »
stereo Miku by dyril, on Flickr

stereo Miku by dyril, on Flickr

Align the left and right images like you were doing a stereogram/Magic Eye, focus your eyes and the 3D image should appear. Try the smaller set of images if you have difficulty getting the medium set to align. I'm surprised that stereoscopic images like this aren't more popular. Sure they can only be so wide, otherwise they'd be impossible to align, but other than that, they're so cool! We already have a similar thread, but I wanted to make one that's not just for idolmaster. Feel free to post stereoscopic images or videos in this thread, imas related or not. I'd like to see images of the side by side variety (like the ones above) but don't let that stop you from posting stuff for 3D glasses, VR goggles or any other high tech gadgets out there.

By the way, is there a way to make stereoscopic photos without a special camera?

Edit: Note that I did not make the images above. Credit goes to the actual photographer.

Edit 2: Tips for viewing stereo photos:
To make these stereo images easier to see, try tilting your head a little when aligning them. This helps because one eye may be higher than the other.
For wider stereo images you have to sit back from your display; if you're too close the image will un-align.

The method used for Magic Eye images and narrow stereograms will not work for wider stereograms because the two sides of a wider stereogram are further apart than the distance between your eyes. So here are step by step instructions for looking at wider stereograms designed for wall-eyed viewing:
Looking at a stereogram normally, you see two images; left and right.
Move closer to your display until the stereogram splits into four images.
Once you see four images, move away from your display until the two center images align.
You should now see three images and the image in the center is the 3D image.

Tips for shooting stereo photos:
A special camera is not necessary.
Hold the camera up to your left eye, snap a photo, then hold the camera up to your right eye and snap a photo while centering the same subject.

An alternate method:
This method allows you to hold your camera at a greater distance from your face.
Shut your right eye, move your camera so that part of it obstructs the sight of an object in the center of your desired photo, twist your camera so the same object is centered in the camera's LCD, and snap a photo.
Then shut your left eye, move your camera so the same part of the camera obstructs the same object, twist your camera so that object is centered in the camera's LCD, and snap a photo.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:56:18 pm by altuixde »

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: Stereoscopic Gallery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:37:21 pm »
Here's a Touhou 3D video

If you can't access the 3D options, try this URL. Side by side mode (and other 3D modes) can be activated by clicking on the gear, then Options. To make the video narrow enough to align in side by side mode, resize your browser window.

On my iPhone, the video plays in side by side mode by default, and it looks good because the pixel density is much higher than on my computer's display.

Also, as a bonus:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:01:25 pm by altuixde »

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 02:15:23 am »
It is possible to take 3D photos with a conventional camera! One way to do it is to hold the camera up to your left eye, snap a photo, then hold the camera up to your right eye and snap a photo while centering the same subject. Took this photo of apples myself:

It's too bad I don't have any figures to take pictures of...

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 04:15:53 am »
Orchid flowers:

Next I'm gonna try to get some 3D photos outside...

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 03:47:12 am »
Okay, it's been way too cold and windy for me to take photos outside, but here's a photo of glass baubles:

Here's a tip: to make these stereo images easier to see, try tilting your head a little when aligning them. This helps because one eye may be higher than the other. Also, one side of the stereo image may be higher than the other because of errors by me when making them.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 05:26:45 am »
I noticed that it's possible to see the 3D image with a wider file. You have to sit back from your display, though; if you're too close the image will un-align.

And here's the same image in the resolution I was using before, in case you prefer it:

Anyone else want to give stereo photography a try? I'm not the only one with a camera on these forums. ^^;

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 05:37:23 am »
As much as I'd like to dabble with this and my figures, the images I'd produce with my potato would only be grainy -- and probably delicious -- abominations. :P
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 05:49:09 am »
Potato? ??? :)

You could try making one of the small side by side images. The resolution is just 480x320 so a lot of the grain would be reduced when the image is scaled down. Also, if you put a figure in direct sunlight, that would reduce the grain too.

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 05:43:50 am »
By potato I mean that what I'd use to produce photos or videos with might as well be comparable to that of a potato -- pretty much negligible compared to something even half-assed. :P

But that's looking to change in the new future, as far as videos go. ;)

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:50:28 am »
Oh that's what you meant. I thought that, since the last image I posted was spices, I had made you subconsciously start typing about food. ^^

So you're getting a video camera? What are you going to be filming?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:18:40 am by altuixde »

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 07:54:41 pm »
Not a conventional video camera, but a capture card for console gaming. :3

We'll see if I can get around to doing stereo photos by then.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 05:08:41 pm »
An old member on here used to do them with dolls and figures:
http://www.figure.fm/en/post/13569/Stereogram+Experiments.html

There's Miki Hoshii for y'all.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 03:51:05 am »
The Miki stereogram is designed to be viewed cross-eyed. To avoid confusion, I should point out that the stereograms I've posted are designed to be viewed wall-eyed (the left image is for the left eye and the right image is for the right eye). :)

Edit: Also, the Sakura and Arturia stereogram is really good!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:00:46 pm by altuixde »

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 08:18:30 pm »

Is there a solution to the snow problem? If I try to use post-processing to make the snow in this image look as bright as it really was, it turns into solid white. Turning up the brightness on my display works, though.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 04:09:08 am »

I can't for the life of me remember what kind of animal this is.