Username: Password:

Author Topic: Just another lurker coming into the light!  (Read 5141 times)

Tafira

• Apprentice
  • Casual Fan :)
    • View Profile
Just another lurker coming into the light!
« on: January 14, 2015, 03:26:14 am »
Hi there! I'm Michael (or Tafira if you decide to go by that). I'm a high school senior in Florida, busily working through the year. ^^

I've been a fan of IM@S for roughly two years now, when my friend showed me the anime. Before I had seen the anime on the front page of many streaming sites and dismissed it as mere otaku bait or something. (In reality it still is but I'm sticking with it!).  I instantly loved the episodic stories for each idol, and even more when the anime developed Chihaya's and Haruka's stories. (I never really liked Miki)

I had been using this site for a long while, mostly to familiarize myself with the background of the series, as I've never touched any of the original games. Then I wandered on the forums and found a bevy of discussions, some of which I read completely (like why IM@S 1+2 would NOT come to the US). Many of the discussions made me realize I was really such a surface level 'fan' (and that a bunch of the IM@S videos I watch on youtube come from here).

My favorite idol is Yukiho because she reminds me a little bit of myself (and because I'm a sucker for bob hair cuts)
I love most tracks, but Kosmos. Cosmos, Little Match Girl, Natsukage, and Silent Night are among my favorites

I had a great deal of fun playing Wandering Star-even though it is literally impossible to do vocal training without Japanese.
I also play Million Live on and off. (Basically checking Yukiho card prices ^^;)
I edit at the Million Live wiki (though my translations are based off denshi jisho and speculation).
I'm interested in learning Japanese after high school ends, and maybe taking some college elective courses in the subject. Depending on how that goes, possibly playing the main games would be a nice goal.

Other than IM@S, I play MOBAs like Smite and Dota 2, and read in my spare time.
I hope to find some fellow P's to talk to, and learn more about this franchise. (There is a lack of anime fans, let alone IM@S fans, here)

(Insert good closing line here)

::)(mfw I have to look up Takane's waist size before submitting)

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: Just another lurker coming into the light!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 03:47:29 am »
Welcome! :D

Yukiho is awesome. I kinda preferred her old voice, but I'm used to the new one; how about you?

Since you live in Florida, have you ever had to evacuate because of an incoming hurricane? ??? Hurricanes are the reason why I'd be afraid to live anywhere in the Southeast.

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 04:18:03 am »
Hi there! I'm Michael (or Tafira if you decide to go by that). I'm a high school senior in Florida, busily working through the year. ^^

I hope to find some fellow P's to talk to, and learn more about this franchise. (There is a lack of anime fans, let alone IM@S fans, here)

......... Michael, are we twins?  ??? Cuz you and I are BOTH High School Seniors in Florida who love iM@S!  ;)

Anyway, welcome to the forums, Michael!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

chaos176

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 04:27:18 am »
Welcome to the forum.

I edit at the Million Live wiki (though my translations are based off denshi jisho and speculation).

you mean http://millionlive.wikia.com/ ? I though that site died year ago.

anyway, if you need some help translating ML (or anything IM@S related) stuff, I'm your man.

SideM

• Greenhorn
  • We are PSYCHO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 11:58:20 am »
Hi and welcome!

Kosmos, Cosmos is one of my favorites too, but I guess I'm even more of a surface level fan than you since I've never even heard of Natsukage and Silent Night :o

And don't feel bad, I had to look up Takane's waist size and Iori's voice too

Tafira

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:27:21 am »
......... Michael, are we twins?  ??? Cuz you and I are BOTH High School Seniors in Florida who love iM@S!  ;)

Anyway, welcome to the forums, Michael!
Whew, just got to checking this after tennis ha ha.

I feel like I find a lot of people online that live in Florida, though not often all of those 3 categories!  :P
Where do you live in Florida?
I haven't ever had to evacuate- I live inland in central Florida, and the last time I've had to miss school due to a hurricane was back in like....2nd grade. So 2005. There also hasn't been a direct hit in the region (tampa) where I live for say, ~80 years. In fact the local newspaper said it's the most overdue place to get hit by a hurricane.

Also the wiki DID die like a year ago, but I'm working with someone else to 'try' to make it up to date.
(Filling in a year of cards, events and poses is going to be a near impossible task)
I'll be sure to take you on that offer chaos- sometimes I stare at the 'sound effects' that are put into card names and I simply don't know to do.

On Yukiho's voice, I'm sort of ambivalent on it. While Yurina Hase's voice was beautiful in so many songs, Azumi's was the one I, so to speak, 'grew' up with in the anime. Neither voice portrays Yukiho better I feel- and thus I love them equally.

(dear lord these verification messages always get me)

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 12:34:35 am »
Whew, just got to checking this after tennis ha ha.

I feel like I find a lot of people online that live in Florida, though not often all of those 3 categories!  :P
Where do you live in Florida?
I haven't ever had to evacuate- I live inland in central Florida, and the last time I've had to miss school due to a hurricane was back in like....2nd grade. So 2005. There also hasn't been a direct hit in the region (tampa) where I live for say, ~80 years. In fact the local newspaper said it's the most overdue place to get hit by a hurricane.

I live more to the South, close to Miami. I've been to Tampa for Spring Break once and it is a very great place, I will admit. The drive was kinda lengthy, though.

I do agree that there hasn't really been a major storm or hurricane in a while. Hell,, Katrina WAS the last major hurricane we had, at least according to my memory. Odd, considering that we had a generator just in case of another hurricane. :P
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

Tafira

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 01:04:43 am »
I live more to the South, close to Miami. I've been to Tampa for Spring Break once and it is a very great place, I will admit. The drive was kinda lengthy, though.

I do agree that there hasn't really been a major storm or hurricane in a while. Hell,, Katrina WAS the last major hurricane we had, at least according to my memory. Odd, considering that we had a generator just in case of another hurricane. :P

My parents really don't care. They were like: "Oh look, a hurricane. Welp, lets bring to plants inside, the grill inside, and prepare to eat campbell's soup for a few days." They we just sat on the patio and watched buckets of rain fall. That was a long time ago though.

I haven't been to Miami in a long time- we went to see the Sony Ericcson open or something when I was 7. I know it's known as the liberal seat of Florida, but I'm not really sure how it compares to Tampa. Are there any cons there? I know here we have Metrocon (Where i picked up an Annindoufu art book- most worth $37 I have ever spent.)

(I think I need to keep a little notepad with all of these confirmation questions)

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 01:20:15 am »
My parents really don't care. They were like: "Oh look, a hurricane. Welp, lets bring to plants inside, the grill inside, and prepare to eat campbell's soup for a few days." They we just sat on the patio and watched buckets of rain fall. That was a long time ago though.

I haven't been to Miami in a long time- we went to see the Sony Ericcson open or something when I was 7. I know it's known as the liberal seat of Florida, but I'm not really sure how it compares to Tampa. Are there any cons there? I know here we have Metrocon (Where i picked up an Annindoufu art book- most worth $37 I have ever spent.)

(I think I need to keep a little notepad with all of these confirmation questions)

Last time there was a hurricane blackout, my family had to start campfires to get actual cooked meals.

I know that Miami has Supercon, which usually happens around the summertime, and Animate Miami, which is around early fall. I want to go to this year's Supercon REALLY badly, though.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

Tafira

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 01:42:55 am »
Last time there was a hurricane blackout, my family had to start campfires to get actual cooked meals.

I know that Miami has Supercon, which usually happens around the summertime, and Animate Miami, which is around early fall. I want to go to this year's Supercon REALLY badly, though.

My family would probably be in the same situation- as we basically never use the grill now.

This summer is probably going to be one of the most carefree I've had since high school has started- and Metrocon is during then too.
Metrocon has always been sort of 'eh' to me.
My sort of fandom isn't really represented that well there... (IM@S, some mahou shoujous, etc)
How is it down there? I know I never see anything at Metrocon other than merchandise related to IM@S, and even then it's not very popular. (Hence why I could get that art book)

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 01:51:26 am »
My family would probably be in the same situation- as we basically never use the grill now.

This summer is probably going to be one of the most carefree I've had since high school has started- and Metrocon is during then too.
Metrocon has always been sort of 'eh' to me.
My sort of fandom isn't really represented that well there... (IM@S, some mahou shoujous, etc)
How is it down there? I know I never see anything at Metrocon other than merchandise related to IM@S, and even then it's not very popular. (Hence why I could get that art book)

I hope ya like rain, mate. X)! In all seriousness, it does rain here a bit often, but it's not absolutely dreadful. Besides, being in an indoor area, it shouldn't matter too much anyway. I want to go to Supercon this year since I've never been to a convention ever and I think this year is the best year since, well, I'm graduating.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

Tafira

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 02:37:48 am »
I hope ya like rain, mate. X)! In all seriousness, it does rain here a bit often, but it's not absolutely dreadful. Besides, being in an indoor area, it shouldn't matter too much anyway. I want to go to Supercon this year since I've never been to a convention ever and I think this year is the best year since, well, I'm graduating.

Indeed! I've gone twice before- mostly with my sister and some of her friends. Make sure you buy your tickets early- even like now would be a good time if they offer it. I know Metrocon discounts tickets the earlier you buy them, it's probably the same for other conventions. Oh, grab a friend if you can... It's somewhat offputting if you have nobody to fan(boy)(girl?) to about things you or what you find in the vendor stalls.

Cons were a great experience for me overall- I rarely see anyone or anything really discussing anime or other 'nerd' topics. It's a completely different environment when you're surrounded by everyone. I might go out of town (within the state of course) this year, as I do want to see what other cons are like.  Last year I was able to attend Megacon (in Orlando) by pure coincidence.

A school organization of mine had a state conference in Orlando, and we were staying overnight. The moment I step off the charter bus and go with my school to go eat, I see a girl dressed in pure hwite Lolita and with a kyubey backpack walking past me on the sidewalk.
At first I thought 'Oh it's just Orlando.'
Then I saw two guys with zelda shirts.
Then I saw a bit fat sign that said Megacon.
Lastly, I noticed I was standing right next door to the Orange County Convention center.
So it goes. (100x props if you get this reference)

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 02:52:04 am »
Indeed! I've gone twice before- mostly with my sister and some of her friends. Make sure you buy your tickets early- even like now would be a good time if they offer it. I know Metrocon discounts tickets the earlier you buy them, it's probably the same for other conventions. Oh, grab a friend if you can... It's somewhat offputting if you have nobody to fan(boy)(girl?) to about things you or what you find in the vendor stalls.

Cons were a great experience for me overall- I rarely see anyone or anything really discussing anime or other 'nerd' topics. It's a completely different environment when you're surrounded by everyone. I might go out of town (within the state of course) this year, as I do want to see what other cons are like.  Last year I was able to attend Megacon (in Orlando) by pure coincidence.

A school organization of mine had a state conference in Orlando, and we were staying overnight. The moment I step off the charter bus and go with my school to go eat, I see a girl dressed in pure hwite Lolita and with a kyubey backpack walking past me on the sidewalk.
At first I thought 'Oh it's just Orlando.'
Then I saw two guys with zelda shirts.
Then I saw a bit fat sign that said Megacon.
Lastly, I noticed I was standing right next door to the Orange County Convention center.
So it goes. (100x props if you get this reference)

If anything, I might actually see you there. People tell me that conventions are a lot of fun and you get to meet the coolest people there.

Sorry, I.....don't get that reference. ^-^;
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

Tafira

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 04:44:25 am »
If anything, I might actually see you there. People tell me that conventions are a lot of fun and you get to meet the coolest people there.

Sorry, I.....don't get that reference. ^-^;

People do say that, but I'm the kind of somewhat anti-social person- I find it hard to really open up to people, especially initiate conversation. I always feel like I come off awkward and such. When I went to a con last year, I'd always feel a bit awkward and embarrassed whenever I asked people for pictures- actually I tend to feel awkward and embarrassed a whole lot.
Which explains why I like yukiho so much...heh ^^;

Oh I was just being a literature nerd with that last quote. It's a reference to Slaughterhouse-5 by Kurt Vonnegut. We just finished it in my English class, and the author overuses that statement to pass off seemingly big events as trivial.

I'll see if I can come down (though realistically I'd probably go to Orlando or closer areas) 8 hours is a lot of driving x.x

chaos176

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 09:18:41 am »
Also the wiki DID die like a year ago, but I'm working with someone else to 'try' to make it up to date.
(Filling in a year of cards, events and poses is going to be a near impossible task)
I'll be sure to take you on that offer chaos- sometimes I stare at the 'sound effects' that are put into card names and I simply don't know to do.

for card names, this site have most, if not all, translated. maybe you could use those names.

http://765-millionstars.tumblr.com/