Username: Password:

Author Topic: Leon Cosplay- Now 100% Complete!! Pictures on page 4!!  (Read 16792 times)

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Leon Cosplay- "Don't ever stop!"
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 06:26:34 am »
Question, how are you going to do the sequins on the top and skirt? That's the major thing keeping me from a Luxury cosplay (haven't decided on the idol but still).

They make sequin dot fabric. ^_^ It's much more simple than you think and it comes in about every color under the sun. I used it here in Scarlet Sprite:

It might be common sense, but if you want to use this fabric, line, line, line! Be very confident in your lining and turning skills if you want to work with this!
It is very thin and very scratchy!

Here's an image ( I stole) to show you what it looks like on the bolt like you would find it in a fabric store:

Ooo shiny! I love looking at this stuff. It makes me wanna do all the costumes!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 06:28:00 am »
I'm curious, do those lenses have a hole in the center to let in more oxygen? Since they're not corrective lenses, it should be possible.

Maka

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 06:31:28 am »
Thanks! I've seen that stuff in stores but I didn't know that was the kind you used.

Also, circle lenses don't have a hole. The pupil is just clear material.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 06:33:16 am »
I'm curious, do those lenses have a hole in the center to let in more oxygen? Since they're not corrective lenses, it should be possible.

That's an interesting question! I don't think any lenses are designed that way. I just imagine them being a nightmare to put in. If a lack of oxygen to one's eyes is a concern, (and it should be!) there are preventative steps one should take when wearing circle/cosmetic lenses.

-Don't wear them for too long (5 hours is usually my max)
-Definitely do not fall asleep in them
-Hydrate with eyedrops
-Stay away from heat (like grills)
-Don't swim in them

Thanks! I've seen that stuff in stores but I didn't know that was the kind you used.

Yes, I think it's what everyone uses! Good luck to you if you decide to make something!
Soft cottons make a good lining for this material. It seems a bit see-through so you want to pick something lighter or about the same color to line it with!

I can't repeat enough...this stuff is REAL itchy. Even in my Haruka cosplay the part of my arm touching my vest was a bit itchy.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 06:56:24 am »
Fascinating. I had a classmate who said that he never takes his contact lenses out, and he was a swimmer too! I've never used contact lenses, of any kind; I use glasses instead. But then again, my vision is actually pretty good so I hardly ever need them. Maybe I'll get contacts if when my vision gets worse. I can't imagine ever wearing circle lenses, though, but they do look good on cosplayers. ^^

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 07:00:10 am »
Well damn, seems like you have the solution for everything so far -- I was about to bring up said sequins, what with this owing to Leon's authenticity.

As well, that's an awesome Haruka you've got there. Very pretty and the like~! ^^
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 04:06:19 pm »
Fascinating. I had a classmate who said that he never takes his contact lenses out, and he was a swimmer too! I've never used contact lenses, of any kind; I use glasses instead. But then again, my vision is actually pretty good so I hardly ever need them. Maybe I'll get contacts if when my vision gets worse. I can't imagine ever wearing circle lenses, though, but they do look good on cosplayers. ^^

Technology has come a long way and now they have lenses that you don't have to take out (for like 1 month I think.) I think wearing circle lenses is the more or less the same as wearing regular contact lenses except for the fact they are easier to tell which side is the 'right' side.

Well damn, seems like you have the solution for everything so far -- I was about to bring up said sequins, what with this owing to Leon's authenticity.

As well, that's an awesome Haruka you've got there. Very pretty and the like~! ^^

Yup! This costume will be a lot easier than Scarlet Sprite since when I made that it was my first costume ever and I had only been sewing for about a year. I've learned some more tricks since that time.

And thanks!

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 05:27:48 am »
Update:

Started doing some work today. Couldn't go to the fabric store because my dad had to work some overtime.

So first, I already picked out my bodice pattern as you know.
When you buy a pattern online it comes in a big puzzle that you have to cut out and put together:

After I cut it out and assemble it the pieces look like this:

I had some left over fabric from Scarlet Sprite, so I figured to make a trial version

Here is the result:

The overall fit is good, and the pattern takes very little fabric (Hooray!)

I need to modify the pattern to accommodate wider straps and use a less slippery lining, but I am extremely happy with the result so far. Can't wait to do this in the real fabric~!

Also this top is super comfy and lightweight. Love love love it!

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 05:24:00 pm »
Grand stuff so far. :D I take it you trace over the fabric, or cut along the edges with the patterns? The frills should be fun to do, too~.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 05:52:16 pm »
Grand stuff so far. :D I take it you trace over the fabric, or cut along the edges with the patterns? The frills should be fun to do, too~.

Thanks!
On fabrics that aren't slippery like cottons I usually put the pattern down on the fabric and trace around the fabric with a water soluble pen.
On fabrics that are slippery like the sequin dot I'm working with here and the knit I will be using for the skirt, I pin the pattern down to the fabric very meticulously and cut around with it so I can get a precise cut.

I love doing frills! On my sewing machine I have an auto ruffler <3 It's a lot of fun.

Edit: My wig arrived today and I went fabric shopping as well!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:15:02 am by animagic4u »

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 01:17:49 am »
(ી(*´ω`*)っ~♡

I indulge in some sewing myself, whether it was being the top-A male student in Home Economics or even doing it by hand from time to time, namely to fix worn clothes -- it really is just a handy skill. Nice to see it put to good use~!

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 05:37:02 am »
(ી(*´ω`*)っ~♡

I indulge in some sewing myself, whether it was being the top-A male student in Home Economics or even doing it by hand from time to time, namely to fix worn clothes -- it really is just a handy skill. Nice to see it put to good use~!

<3

Sewing is useful. I was surprised when I found out several of my classmates (in 400 level Computer Science classes) also love to sew!

Update:

Cut out the lining!

Painstakingly pinned and cut the top fabric...

30 minutes later:

Feeling some back and neck strain so it's time to rest. Sewing time tomorrow!

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 09:26:13 pm »
Back to work today:

Butterfly pins for Leon of course

Outer part is sewn together:

Paper butterfly mockup to see how it will look once finished.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 05:02:55 am »
The butterfly is now finished!

Started by cutting the butterfly shape out of heavy interfacing. It's like really heavy felt board.

Cut it in half to match the design of Leon's butterfly and attached the gradient fabric.

Pinned bias tape around it and sewed it on! Very time consuming!

The top part done:

The completed butterfly without the gem!

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 05:35:36 am »
Good God is that an authentic beaut. :3 The gradient shows off the attention to detail, especially.