Username: Password:

Author Topic: Virgo tries translyrics for fun and... boredom. I guess.  (Read 6688 times)

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
Virgo tries translyrics for fun and... boredom. I guess.
« on: May 18, 2014, 05:56:06 am »
Even though I don't have videos up of it on my channel, one of my hobbies is singing. They're somewhere on YouTube. Can't guarantee the singing itself is any good to your ears however. However, my Japanese singing voice... is bad. The proper "l/r" sound isn't exactly happening, among other things... so I became fond of finding translyrics (in this context, "singable translations of lyrics"). There are certain songs that I have wanted to sing since forever and a half, however... that I have NOT been able to find translyrics for. If you can't find them, why not make your own?
This thread is part purely sharing, and partially critique, as, noted in a billion other threads prior, my Japanese is lacking - which means it's entirely possible I've missed some of the points of those songs I've worked some translyrics for. I intend to credit the translations I've used in making lyrics where possible (for ones marked "wiki" if someone can let me know which person contributed/translated the lyrics for them, I would really appreciate this!).
I will not be doing *only* iM@S-related translyrics; these just happen to be what I have now.
If you would like to use these lyrics for yourself, please let me know, and credit if you upload somewhere. Just know they won't be exclusive since I originally made them for me. ;P

Quick Reference Guide:
  • Mahou wo Kakete (Game) - This post
  • Acceleration (Game) - This post
  • Furufuru Future (Game) - Page 1
  • choco fondue (M@STER/full) - Page 1
  • Ippai Ippai (M@STER/full) - Page 1
  • DIAMOND (M@STER/full) - Page 2
  • Jitensha (M@STER/full) - Page 2
  • edeN (M@STER/full) - Page 2

Mahou wo Kakete
This set uses the wiki entry and is for game-size version. This is a fairly old set of lyrics, I'm not quite sure when I made these exactly.
(Some lyrics were just outright picked from this video... which credits to this AnimeLyrics page, which looks exactly the same as wiki, so... I'm just not sure what I'd ultimately derive these from.)
One of these lines... feels really awkward to me. I'll use green bold to make this line more distinct.

Oh, once upon a time,
I sighed, in front of my mirror,
"Is your boyfriend a textbook?"
Everyone asked of me but,

Hidden inside my desk
Is a half-written love letter
Waiting to share my feelings with
That future special someone

Is it that everyone thinks I'm such a boring girl?
Really, all I 
want is to find that one person who's able to make my heart race!

Oh, the princess who's always dreaming about love,
You'll someday be able to meet your very own personal Prince Charming
Please, let that day come a little bit faster
Because I'm  closing my eyes slowly so that you'll...
Cast your magic on me!

The magical carriage soaring throughout the sky
It's got a special seat inside reserved for me only
Won't you arrive just a little bit faster?
Because I'm praying in bed while I sleep,
Send your magic to me!

Acceleration
Based off the wiki entry, for game-size if not obvious. These were just done today, literally. Lines do not feel NEARLY as awkward, though there's still a tad bit of awkward near end.

I don't wanna ever lose again
I'm gonna fufill the wishes that I truly want
From this moment on, to light up my way!
There is no need to stop
I'll seize the day, and then I'll make it through with no excuse
Killing out all the noise, leaving only my voice, don't ever stop!

I'm forcing this tired body onward
Just running and running, determined to take the lead
While my heart beats e'er faster, a pace is something I just won't keep
"Limit" is not a word within this dictionary

Every time I close my eyes I see
You won't ever stop
Let the race begin, this real story
It's starting up right now from here!

I don't wanna ever lose again
I'm gonna fufill the wishes that I truly want
From this moment on, to light up my way!
There is no need to stop
I'll seize the day, and then I'll make it through with no excuse
Killing out all the noise, leaving only my voice, just like that

The ever-changing detour of my way
I'll just cut straight through it and go for a miracle
With my winning passion!
Once you get up onto the stage, you're sparkling in outer space, where all limits are gone
Take up your set of wings, fight for your dream!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:09:39 pm by Virgofall »

Chance4U

• All for one, and two for tea!
    • View Profile
Re: Virgo tries translyrics for fun and... boredom. I guess.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:09:32 am »
Even though I don't have videos up of it on my channel, one of my hobbies is singing. However, my Japanese singing voice... is bad. The proper "l/r" sound isn't exactly happening, among other things... so I became fond of finding translyrics (in this context, "singable translations of lyrics"). There are certain songs that I have wanted to sing since forever and a half, however... that I have NOT been able to find translyrics for. If you can't find them, why not make your own?

If you're looking for lyrics, might I suggest this...?
http://www.youtube.com/user/IrukaLucia/videos
She is a pretty good translyricist who posted a few iM@S videos...

I know how you feel... I've finished some iM@S covers, but I only wind up too terrified to post anything...
"An idol's job is to carry everybody's dreams. They're supposed to use song and dance to make people happy. When the famous idols I know appear on TV or do concerts... That alone makes the audiences watching them smile. THAT'S WHY I WANT TO BE AN IDOL TOO..."
   - Ai Hidaka, THE IDOLM@STER DEARLY STARS Splash Red

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:08:53 am »
If you're looking for lyrics, might I suggest this...?
http://www.youtube.com/user/IrukaLucia/videos
She is a pretty good translyricist who posted a few iM@S videos...
I have seen her work, it's really good and I do like it, quite a lot. Even then, there's some songs which you can't find either
A) decently usable translyrics for (I've seen this with a few, some can be redeemed, others, not really), or
B) any translyrics at all.

Mahou wo Kakete was one of those, and I'm a pretty big fan of it (and tbh, most of Ritsuko's image songs) because I'm a huge romantic. Unfortunately, those, I've noticed, don't get a lot of attention. And thus we go back to the beginning.
As for Acceleration, I was really just eager to make some translyrics for it as soon as I could find a translation because from all the gratuitous English, I got enough of an idea of the song's main topic to get hyped. XP

In my case, well, worthless feedback from commentators helps nobody. Yeah, it's bad, but WHY? Can you give me a way to improve? The fact my voice cannot (currently, anyway) reach a "proper" woman's sound nor man's sound does not quite help, either - which means for many songs, I sound very odd. Then again, maybe I'm just highly judgmental of myself, dunno.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:13:04 am by Virgofall »

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 08:07:36 pm »
I've started trying to write translyrics myself, actually. Working on it. It's harder than I thought, so I now have a new respect for you and others who write them.

I've never head Acceleration, but the Mahou wo Kakete ones are nice and singable, and as far as I can tell, portrays the same meaning as the original Japanese.

I totally get what you mean about some lines just feeling...awkward.
In any case, keep it up! You're doing well from what I can tell. :D

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:10:57 pm »
I've started trying to write translyrics myself, actually. Working on it. It's harder than I thought, so I now have a new respect for you and others who write them.

I've never head Acceleration, but the Mahou wo Kakete ones are nice and singable, and as far as I can tell, portrays the same meaning as the original Japanese.
I think I can blame my fondness for making translyrics from the fact that I tend to be very, very nitpicky with how things look and sound (well, okay, I'm nitpicky with a lot of things in general but besides the point). It can be a very rewarding effort given time and practice, though, so I definitely encourage it. (I think the main issue with translyrics is being able to keep a balance between something sensical, singable, and as close to an original's meaning as possible... which would make some songs, like Smoky Thrill or Kazahana, a bit difficult)
I've mostly been doing only short-size versions, though, over full-size. I may think of doing a full-size one at some point, but at this point probably not. (As it is, it's hard enough to find the karaoke for many.)

Acceleration was the song given to the OFA rival, Leon. (I know you've had trouble with YouTube links yourself, but it's more generally accessible than NND)

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:39:25 am »
I think I can blame my fondness for making translyrics from the fact that I tend to be very, very nitpicky with how things look and sound (well, okay, I'm nitpicky with a lot of things in general but besides the point). It can be a very rewarding effort given time and practice, though, so I definitely encourage it. (I think the main issue with translyrics is being able to keep a balance between something sensical, singable, and as close to an original's meaning as possible... which would make some songs, like Smoky Thrill or Kazahana, a bit difficult)
I've mostly been doing only short-size versions, though, over full-size. I may think of doing a full-size one at some point, but at this point probably not. (As it is, it's hard enough to find the karaoke for many.)

Acceleration was the song given to the OFA rival, Leon. (I know you've had trouble with YouTube links yourself, but it's more generally accessible than NND)

Just finished my first and so far only attempt literally under a minute ago. :P

Yeah, that's how I feel about a lot of songs. Translyrics just don't sound right sometimes--"where's that line?! THIS LINE IS WRONG!" XD This one in particular I just did because no one else ever has, and I wanted to be the first. :P Maybe when I get a good enough group, I'll follow your example and let you all see 'em. :P In any case, listened to Acceleration and now I can see how those lyrics fit nicely. You're good at this. XD

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 09:34:52 am »
Hey, I learned a new word today! Translyrics...

Speaking of which, I have some lyrics sitting around that have been like, 90% complete for around 5 or 6 months now. I should finish them sometime. Either way, I've only done this a few times (e.g. twice to any state of completion, among various other abandoned efforts), but I might as well share what I've found out myself. Maybe you've run into this stuff yourself, though.

Fair warning: I've been told I'm really, extremely picky about these, and I think I agree. I actually assume that I can't write anything I'll be happy with unless I have multiple bouts of inspiration that make me think otherwise. The songs weren't made with English in mind after all.

The big barometer test for me is singing what I've written. If at any point I think, "What the heck am I singing?" then that's a good sign I need to go back to the drawing board... in other words, I listen to that voice in my head that says I sound like an idiot. You should too. ^_^;

I don't feel the need to do a line-by-line translation, or even a literal one. Not even official translyrics do that when they exist, and honestly... literal translations aren't fun at all. So I don't do them. Heck, if the song has English lyrics already and they sound like random words out of a dictionary... I might get some hate from purists, but if there's no way they can make intelligible sense, they gotta go.

Sometimes if a line just isn't working out, I look at the rest of the verse and see if there's some reshuffling I can do. Sometimes I'll feel like I have to play with the notes as well to make things work. Every time I do that, I ask myself if it's really necessary, but sometimes it's okay as long as you can make it sound like it was part of the song originally.

Next important thing for me is figuring out how each phrase flows, and for me, it's not enough to make the syllable count match up. I'm not sure I can explain this very well, but more or less, there are some natural word boundaries in phases (which can change depending on the language), and it's awkward to keep a word going through them. Also, some phrases have a point where they're most accented, and some have a section that's not as prominent as the rest. When I see this happening, I try to fit the important parts in the sections that stand out, and leave the rest for the supporting ideas... if you understand what I'm saying.

There are also words that can stop the flow of the phrase, or start it/end it more abruptly than you'd like. Then there are those times when you realize the words you chose make the song into a tongue twister. Nothing you can do except find another way to line up your words.

If you find you've translated a section using way fewer syllables than was in the original song, you can try to get creative with what you have already. You could also find another way to say the exact same thing again, and repeat it for emphasis. You could also add embellishment... just whatever you think'll sound good in the end.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:40:20 am by Cael K. »
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 12:22:57 am »
Eh, I'm not sure if "translyrics" is an actual word, but I've seen them referred to as such in some videos and I think it's a good description for what I'm trying to do.
The big barometer test for me is singing what I've written. If at any point I think, "What the heck am I singing?" then that's a good sign I need to go back to the drawing board... in other words, I listen to that voice in my head that says I sound like an idiot. You should too. ^_^;
I do this all the time, not just with my own lyrics but others' too (considering half the point of making lyrics is to try to make them sound good).
As for some other points - making lyrics flow, especially - I do understand what you're saying. It's why one of those lines from Mahou has been making me feel a bit irked; it doesn't work too well.
In any case, thanks for your input and advice, as I'm sure it'll be of use.

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 03:33:09 pm »
Since I've been doing a lot of other things at once at this current time, I've been neglecting this thread... not that there's a whole lot to neglect, anyway. I had done a new, though rough, set of lyrics...

Furufuru Future

Based on wiki, but uses the credited translation to reference some points. A song I'm personally meh on, but it's so... dang... catchy... @.@ While I admit that the set comes off as a bit aggressive, well. Consider whose image song it is, she IS quite aggressive in her feelings for PC-P as it is...
July 13, 2014 Replaced a line (thank you for the assistance, Amazing_Grace), made small edits to another

I love you, my honey
You're just like a strawberry
So sweet and pure of heart;
Please don't ever look away from me

Hey, why won't you do it?
I can't keep on waiting
You said that you'd give me a kiss, didn't you promise me one?
Hey, what is wrong with you?
You just look oh-so-flustered
This isn't something that's typical for you...
Why don't we just go, somewhere, just the two of us
Get a plane on charter
We'll fly away, find somewhere new! I know you know it's not that hard to do

Please tell me, my honey; what color will the future take?
When I think of you a "thump-thump" keeps pounding in me
What is this feeling?
I love you, my honey; even though you're like an orange
So sweet but sometimes sour;
Please don't ever look away, oh

I love you, my honey; we both make up "the future"
Like one clang to another, I want to hear our wedding bells
Please don't ever look away from me!

I doubt these will be easy to reform into a M@STER, but since I don't make them focused on the master... not that, for most songs, I can even FIND their master. |:

I'll probably post at some later point a sample of my own singing to get actual feedback on that... would help if it were easy to find decent offvocals, but.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:03:38 pm by Virgofall »

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 01:15:36 am »
Still singable, so I'd say you're doing a great job!

As for the line in green...maybe something like, "We'll fly away, find somewhere new! I know you know it's not that hard to do."?

...I'm still new at this, so excuse me if despite my best efforts, any suggestions I give you on lyrics are ten times worse than what you already have. :P

In any case, that should fit if I went through the lyrics right.

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 07:18:32 pm »
Thanks for the advice, Grace; does fit a little better structure-wise. Do you care if I use it with Furufuru?

Juggling stuff left and right, but for now, I decided I'd try a full-length... not entirely finished, but I'd say it's mostly there. Don't have any real issues with these, QUITE yet

choco fondue

Yep, wiki again.
[July 5th, 2014] General final-ish lyrics, added second verse/middle-eight and some minor edits.
[July 18th, 2014] Cleaned up the second verse/chorus a bit.

Hey,
Do you know what today is meant for,
Valentine's Day
A day us girls give something to those we like,
It's a very special day

Hey, meeting you makes my heart a little bit faster
Like eating pieces of chocolate
So, so sweet and sugary
As if I was in a heart-melting romance

Even more than singing,
I liked doing this for you
Just this one little thing, for the one that I...

Choco fondue, choco fondue, choco fondue
With my heart beating, "I love you"
I want to say, but I can't
So it's all in my present for you

From the very bottom of my heart
As I give my gift to you, hoping Cupid looks upon us
So please won't you grant me my wish? I'm begging you

Eh... all throughout the night and even as we talk, right now has been on my mind
Ah... so worried that this may not go as I want and become bittersweet

While all this is still warm,
Before it becomes colder...
It's what I really want... how I truly feel...

"Do you have someone that you like?"
I want to ask, but I can't
So I hope you'll understand my heart...

Now I see you losing yourself in
These happiness-covered marbles made with my love

The girl whose heart keeps beating harder while near you
The boy so very nervous while standing near me
Why don't you and I just go spend time together?
Let's make something to treasure
Of this very special day

With my heart beating, "I love you"
I want to say, but I can't
So it's all in my present for you

From the very bottom of my heart
As I give my gift to you, hoping Cupid looks upon us
So please won't you grant me my wish? I'm begging you

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Completely unrelated - well, okay, not completely, but those who're curious, this is how I sound. (This is an English version of SAO's second opening theme, "Innocence" - this cover DOES have effects on it.)
Note that I've never took singing lessons, though it's been something I've been interested in taking up.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:52:28 pm by Virgofall »

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 08:03:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice, Grace; does fit a little better structure-wise. Do you care if I use it with Furufuru?

Not at all! I'm just glad I could help.

I'd comment on choco fondue but I've never actually heard that song soooo

But as for this...

Completely unrelated - well, okay, not completely, but those who're curious, this is how I sound. (This is an English version of SAO's second opening theme, "Innocence" - this cover DOES have effects on it.)
Note that I've never took singing lessons, though it's been something I've been interested in taking up.

...I like your voice, actually. I think this sounded really nice. :)

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 09:10:29 pm »
Thank you for the compliment.
And now more lyrics!

Ippai Ippai
Wiki link for source.
It's kinda easy to actually make the lyrics for this one, work. Well. Somewhat. These were done pretty quickly, but between having a general idea of them in my head and listening to more Ippai Ippai than I really had to yesterday, well, lol
July 13, 2014 - Added lyrics to make a complete master. Green underline = added for M@STER
Without knowing,
I can't help but keep my eyes upon you
Once I realize,
It's so hard to calm down for just a moment

Oh,
Just forget it already!
It's all my fault that we've stopped midway
And it's just embarrassing...

Every time we
Talk, we won't ever run out of things to bring up
It's really fun
Spending time with you, whatever we do
Ah, what exactly's wrong with me,
Feeling  like I have to prepare my~self when we meet

Hey, more of, more of, more of, more of
You is what I wanna hear,
Yes, more of, more of, more of, more of
That voice is so nice to me
Oh, truly, truly, truly truly
More than anybody else
I, truly, truly, truly, truly
Think that I'm in love with you
But it isn't something, I can say just yet...

I know this is
Because when we try, I get so self-conscious
And it makes me
Feel so awkward it's near-impossible

Yet, in my head it'd go so well
I want to try to put this perfect plan to life

Please, more of, more of, more of, more of,
This is what I wanna try
Yes, more of, more of, more of, more of,
While you keep your eyes on me
Oh, truly, truly, truly truly,
If anybody but you,
I truly, truly, truly, truly
Can't love anyone like this
But I really need you, to stay in my heart...

Come on, come on, come on, just a little
Come on, come on, come on, are you ready?
Come on, come on, come on, let's show our love
Come on, come on, come on, time to start up
Come on, come on, come on, right now
Come on, come on, come on, time to start up

Come on, come on, come on, even stronger,
Come on, come on, let's go right now

Hey, more of, more of, more of, more of
You is what I wanna hear,
Yes, more of, more of, more of, more of
That voice is so nice to me
Oh, truly, truly, truly truly
More than anybody else
I, truly, truly, truly, truly
Think that I'm in love with you
But there's a little thing, that I want to ask...
These glasses of mine I wear, do you like or not?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:06:29 pm by Virgofall »

liza94

• Producer
  • Fan of Chihaya (Asami Imai & Kaori Shimizu)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 06:36:08 pm »
You should, no, you MUST write the lyrics for the full version of "Ippai ippai"! You did a great job! ;)

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
You should, no, you MUST write the lyrics for the full version of "Ippai ippai"! You did a great job! ;)
*points up*

...though I realize that it's difficult doing the M@STER for most, because I can't actually find full versions of a lot of songs. (Yay for the concert uploads, but oi)