Username: Password:

Author Topic: altuixde's learning to draw thread  (Read 21685 times)

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
altuixde's learning to draw thread
« on: March 31, 2014, 07:14:13 am »
Since I posted in the advice thread asking for drawing tips, I figure I should share some of what I've drawn so far. This first post consists of attempts to copy four of Mark Crilley's drawings.

Actually, the hair on one of the drawings is different because I was running out of room. ^^

This last one is supposed to be shaded; I'll see if I can learn how to do that. And I messed up one of her earlobes. After scanning the shaded version, I'll edit that digitally. 0:)

Edit: Hopefully I'll be able to add original idolmaster fan art here eventually... otherwise this thread might be in the wrong subforum.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:30:22 pm by altuixde »

liza94

• Producer
  • Fan of Chihaya (Asami Imai & Kaori Shimizu)
    • View Profile
Re: altuixde's learning to draw thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:31:56 pm »
Edit: Hopefully I'll be able to add original idolmaster fan art here eventually... otherwise this thread might be in the wrong subforum.

Your drawings are very beautiful! Don't worry, it says "For ALL your fanfics and doodles", so there shouldn't be any problems!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:38:17 pm »
Thanks Liza! :D I was a little worried about what everyone would think of the drawings. ^^; I have to admit, I'd be lost right now if I had to draw entirely from my own imagination instead of copying something.

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:00 pm »
I actually really like these. Maybe it's because you ink, but it looks so clear and stands out really well. You may be copying, but the fact that it looks good is testament to your skills! Good job! :D 

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:07:59 pm »
I actually really like these. Maybe it's because you ink, but it looks so clear and stands out really well. You may be copying, but the fact that it looks good is testament to your skills! Good job! :D

Arigatou! Mark Crilley actually didn't ink the drawing I copied the last one from, so it was a bit of a challenge for me to get it to look right when inking it.

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 04:30:15 pm »
Arigatou! Mark Crilley actually didn't ink the drawing I copied the last one from, so it was a bit of a challenge for me to get it to look right when inking it.

That's even more impressive now that I know you had to ink it all on your own.
Except, all inking done is impressive inking in the eyes of one whose inking skills are about on par with that of an eagle.

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 05:06:01 pm »
I don't think an eagle can even hold a marker. You can't be that bad at inking! ;) The first drawing that I inked came out terrible (I haven't uploaded it). But then I read that, when inking, you're supposed to use long strokes, maybe as few as possible, and also use the natural pivot of your wrist to ink curving lines (spinning the paper around to get the proper angles); and that really helped. I do wish I could have multiple tries at inking, though, but unfortunately markers aren't erasable.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:15:22 pm by altuixde »

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 05:23:27 pm »
I do wish I could have multiple tries at inking, though, but unfortunately markers aren't erasable.

Someone should invent erasable markers. I would pay them good money for that.

In other news, I have this bad luck stroke where no matter how careful I am or how hard I try or how much attention I pay, I ALWAYS end up messing up my best drawings by inking them.
It'll be just fine at first, and then I ink, and suddenly it's not even recognizable.

That WAS good advice, though, so I'll try for sure next time I ink. :)

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 05:31:17 pm »
Do you scan your drawings before inking them? I've taken to doing that just in case... but sometimes I forget to.

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 05:56:59 pm »
Do you scan your drawings before inking them? I've taken to doing that just in case... but sometimes I forget to.

I always ink and color my drawings before I scan them, but then again, I ink by hand. If you use a computer program to ink, then I would ink after scanning.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 06:02:49 pm »
I ink by hand too, but I'm worried about ruining the drawings during the inking process. If I scan them before inking, and then mess up while inking, at least I'll still have the scan. :)

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 01:20:54 am »
Well, someone is certainly on their way!

The wrist thing is spot-on, too. That's about the real practical way of getting that smoothness going. Hope to see more progress from you. :3

From my end, I've taken a liking to doodling with GIMP 2. Just getting a feel for a consistent style of art and all. Marks' Mastering Manga series has been a boon for this, so maybe I'll share my own some time soon.
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 01:34:56 am »

When I do ink and scan, I usually just ink without scanning first. But now that you mention it, that's not a bad idea.

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 03:09:59 am »
Hope to see more progress from you. :3

Yes, the pressure is on to keep showing improvement. ^^; But that's O.K., I know that if I put in the hours and the effort then the improvement will come... eventually. Thanks for checking out my art thread, Dean!

From my end, I've taken a liking to doodling with GIMP 2.

What input device are you using to draw on the computer? The ability to easily undo things and use layers is alluring, but the feeling of a stylus against glass or plastic isn't the same as the feeling of a pencil on paper. Must take some getting used to!

That WAS good advice, though, so I'll try for sure next time I ink. :)

When I suggested using long strokes and as few as possible when inking, I don't think I actually read that anywhere so it might be wrong. I think sometimes it's better to lift the marker, reposition the hand and paper, then continue the line where you left off. The wrist thing is definitely right, though. :)

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 02:42:54 pm »
When I suggested using long strokes and as few as possible when inking, I don't think I actually read that anywhere so it might be wrong. I think sometimes it's better to lift the marker, reposition the hand and paper, then continue the line where you left off. The wrist thing is definitely right, though. :)

Oh, alright. I will definitely keep that in mind, thanks~. :D

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!