Username: Password:

Author Topic: altuixde's learning to draw thread  (Read 21563 times)

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
Re: altuixde's learning to draw thread
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 05:26:49 pm »
I'm still incredibly impressed by you despite your confession. I think everyone uses skeletons and reference points when they're still kinda starting out. Heck, I've been drawing for years (like, six of them), and I STILL use skeletons and sketch out everything.

Also your inking is perfect. I'm jelly.

So, keep up the great work! Your art is still fabulous even if you do use references!

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 05:59:10 pm »
Thanks for your encouragement and continued interest, Grace (and everyone)! I wish I could be trained to draw simple shapes without the help of reference points. I should bring a pad of paper and a pencil with me wherever I go, and whenever I have bits of idle time I can practice drawing shapes. ;D

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 06:26:37 pm »
Thanks for your encouragement and continued interest, Grace (and everyone)! I wish I could be trained to draw simple shapes without the help of reference points. I should bring a pad of paper and a pencil with me wherever I go, and whenever I have bits of idle time I can practice drawing shapes. ;D

You're very welcome! :3 Don't worry too much about that. Lots of people need to use reference points, so it's not like there's anything wrong with it. :3 I can't draw shapes either. :P

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 10:43:38 pm »
I uploaded this after all:

This is my first fairly successful attempt to draw an entire (non-chibi) human. She looks kind of sleepy, or hypnotized. Since I hadn't inked in a while, I was afraid that I would mess up during the inking and I was afraid to use my wider markers. It turns out that drawing a line with a wide marker produces a smoother line than going over it multiple times with a thin marker.

Hopefully I'll be drawing more from now on. I'm not going to wait until the end of the day to start drawing, because by the end of the day I feel tired and useless and I tell myself I'll just draw the next day. Also, I bought a paperweight with a quote on it by Ben Franklin that says, "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." I can't write to save my life, but I can choose to do things instead of wasting time! :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:37:33 pm by altuixde »

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:22 pm »
You're so good at drawing hands!  :o
Lucky. XD

But seriously, this looks really nice. :D

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 11:29:14 pm »
Ah, thanks! :D

Her right hand actually looked a little better before I inked it, but just a little. ;)

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2014, 04:19:32 pm »
Shh, don't tell people that. Let them be impressed. XD  ;)

But seriously, I wish I could draw hands like you. XD

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 05:10:02 am »
If anyone's curious about the reason why I haven't uploaded art in a long while, it's because I had to take on a bunch of responsibilities for a month, and the other months I was struggling to find the motivation to get back into drawing. I'm out of practice, so I'm back to drawing heads. This is an exercise from Christopher Hart's Manga for the Beginner.

I wasn't brave enough to shade the eyes with a marker, so I used pencil instead.

Here are a few thoughts that came to mind when I was drawing this:
  • Inking is a lot harder than I remember it was.
  • Putting the cap on the other end of the marker may help steady the marker.
  • Getting the mouth right ain't easy. I tried many times to draw it in pencil, and when it comes to inking you've got only one shot to trace it correctly.
  • Humidity may make your hand stick to the paper a little, which makes inking long lines at a constant velocity difficult. So turn on the air conditioner when inking?

Anyway, I hope y'all like it! ^^
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:14:48 am by altuixde »

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 05:23:54 am »
Your work is coming along nicely!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 05:28:56 am »
Arigatou! :D

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 06:05:29 am »
Here are a few thoughts that came to mind when I was drawing this:
  • Inking is a lot harder than I remember it was.
  • Putting the cap on the other end of the marker may help steady the marker.
  • Getting the mouth right ain't easy. I tried many times to draw it in pencil, and when it comes to inking you've got only one shot to trace it correctly.
  • Humidity may make your hand stick to the paper a little, which makes inking long lines at a constant velocity difficult. So turn on the air conditioner when inking?

I hear ya. Inking can be a real pain sometimes all because you only have one shot. Screw up even remotely and you gotta start ALL over or ignore the mistake. I never had a humidity problem. Probably because I always turn on the fan in my room. Anyway, everything's coming along nicely.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 06:18:57 am »
That picture isn't bad for an inking drawing. Those are a pain to work with. I recommend that you use an ink pen instead because it's easier to work with and they're thinner, too. Shading is similar to pencil except you have to be neat with the lines.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 04:26:34 pm »
Thanks, you two.

ChocoCats - By an ink pen, do you mean something like a Pilot Precise? Or a fountain pen?

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 04:43:25 pm »
Thanks, you two.

ChocoCats - By an ink pen, do you mean something like a Pilot Precise? Or a fountain pen?

Something like this:

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2014, 05:00:53 pm »
The image won't load for me, could you upload it again?