Username: Password:

Author Topic: altuixde's learning to draw thread  (Read 19985 times)

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
Re: altuixde's learning to draw thread
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 04:27:47 am »
You're welcome, altuixde. Moreover...

What input device are you using to draw on the computer? The ability to easily undo things and use layers is alluring, but the feeling of a stylus against glass or plastic isn't the same as the feeling of a pencil on paper. Must take some getting used to!

Actually, I make use of exorbitant amounts of shift clicking and line pathing, both of which are basically my sketch and inking layers respectively. xD While I'm content with said methods, I've been meaning to give a try an input device. Just to see how things go in this drawing fashion~.
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 04:42:35 am »
What's line pathing?

Speaking of drawing devices, my sister has an iPad and a (not pressure sensitive) stylus. I got to play with it for a bit and you can zoom in on the image to draw little details. The iPad's screen is smaller than an 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of paper, though, so it's confining. However, she doesn't use it primarily for drawing. I'm guessing that something made by Wacom would be a better choice for drawing, since that's what they're designed for.

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 04:42:46 pm »
Mm... I think the technical term is path stroking -- it's where one adds two "anchor" points to guide a line in just the right orientation, modify the width and texture of said line, then draw it with antialiasing/smoothness ie "stroke path". It's what people use for digital line art.

I didn't think there existed a stylus function for an iPad, either. Maybe I can show my mom that since she's glued to hers for the longest time. :3
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:45:15 pm by DeviantProtagonist »
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 05:39:47 pm »
Mm... I think the technical term is path stroking -- it's where one adds two "anchor" points to guide a line in just the right orientation, modify the width and texture of said line, then draw it with antialiasing/smoothness ie "stroke path". It's what people use for digital line art.

Sounds interesting. I'd like to learn how to do that sometime. :)

I didn't think there existed a stylus function for an iPad, either. Maybe I can show my mom that since she's glued to hers for the longest time. :3

With a non pressure sensitive stylus, the iPad detects it the same way as it does a finger. The tip of the stylus has to be relatively big, because the iPad ignores anything smaller than a fingertip, and the stylus must be electrically conducting. Pressure sensitive styluses for iPad pair with the iPad through bluetooth, and the app that you're drawing with must support your particular pressure sensitive stylus. Actually, there is one iPad stylus with a small tip, but it's designed for handwriting, not drawing. The company that makes it is going to release a stylus, with the same small tip technology, for drawing; but I don't know when.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 02:00:08 am »
Here's another exercise from Mastering Manga:

When inking this I should've made the white shiny spots on the eyes big initially, and then carefully made them smaller until they looked right. Instead, I made them small initially. D'oh! I'd also like to make the wave-like posture better and clean up some of the uneven lines. Oh well. Just gotta learn from my mistakes and move on.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:32:26 pm by altuixde »

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 02:03:29 am »
Here's another exercise from Mastering Manga:

When inking this I should've made the white shiny spots on the eyes big initially, and then carefully made them smaller until they looked right. Instead, I made them small initially. D'oh! I'd also like to make the wave-like posture better and clean up some of the uneven lines. Oh well. Just gotta learn from my mistakes and move on.

Even with the mistakes you mentioned, this is still an amazing drawing! Well done, my friend. Keep up the good work.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 02:05:02 am »
Ah, thanks! :D

Amazing_Grace

• Producer
  • I am the Overlord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 07:59:06 pm »
I'm still impressed.
Not only can you draw heads well, but you got the chibi style down-pat and you can actually ink without messing everything up.
You've earned my respect. XD

ONWARDS, AOSHIMA!!!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 08:37:42 pm »
Thanks Grace. :)
Nevertheless, I'm worried about what I'll be able to do once I run out of exercises. The only art form I've had experience with before drawing is music (I used to play the violin). A performer usually plays music composed by other people, and it's OK to play a piece more than once. With drawing I'd like to draw characters (albeit characters created by others) in originally composed scenes and poses, and I can't draw the same things over and over. So there's some more of the composer side required in drawing, in addition to the performer side. I guess it doesn't really matter, though, because I enjoy drawing, and I'll keep drawing as long as it's fun.

RoninatorMarx

• Producer
  • Break Time---!!
    • View Profile
    • Marx's Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 01:05:25 pm »
I really like your work. Seeing as you're practically new, you've really progressed so fast that's it's kinda scary. Yes, I'm actually lurking in these threads. Sometimes I feel like if I speak, I might break something...

Nevertheless, I'm worried about what I'll be able to do once I run out of exercises. The only art form I've had experience with before drawing is music (I used to play the violin). A performer usually plays music composed by other people, and it's OK to play a piece more than once. With drawing I'd like to draw characters (albeit characters created by others) in originally composed scenes and poses, and I can't draw the same things over and over. So there's some more of the composer side required in drawing, in addition to the performer side. I guess it doesn't really matter, though, because I enjoy drawing, and I'll keep drawing as long as it's fun.

Well, you can always attempt to mimic characters and poses you might find lying in the internet (The Cinderella Girls cards are a huge but still supplying source of that. lol), and can even assimilate some aspects of other people's art styles into your own, 'upgrading' your own style in the process. I find that trying to capture even just the poses of what other artists have done both challenging and enjoyable to try.

Regardless of what you do, the important thing is to enjoy drawing. It can reflect the emotion we give to it towards others, and even invoke an emotion to them.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 06:17:54 pm »
I feel like I've been misleading everyone, so I'm gonna come clean. Here's what the drawings look like before inking:

As you can see, I draw all sorts of reference points to help me. I use a ruler and a calculator so that the reference points are in the same place as they are in the drawings I've copied. I've been doing this more over time, which created the illusion of improvement. I don't deserve the praise I've been getting.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:34:54 pm by altuixde »

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 06:36:08 pm »
I feel like I've been misleading everyone, so I'm gonna come clean. Here's what the drawings look like before inking:

As you can see, I draw all sorts of reference points to help me. I use a ruler and a calculator so that the reference points are in the same place as they are in the drawings I've copied. I've been doing this more over time, which created the illusion of improvement. I don't deserve the praise I've been getting.

Ironically, this makes me respect you even further as an artist. Your sketches look very detailed and your inking looks incredibly professional. Well-done. Very well-done.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 06:58:31 pm »
Just so you know, the reference points are the little dots. For example, the dot on the tip of her chin and the corners of her jaw in this one:

I'd never be able to draw her face properly freehand. But, thank you anyway, MetalPredat0r.

And Marx, thanks for checking out my art thread. Hopefully this revelation wasn't too much of a disappointment.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:35:55 pm by altuixde »

RoninatorMarx

• Producer
  • Break Time---!!
    • View Profile
    • Marx's Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 11:37:12 am »
And Marx, thanks for checking out my art thread. Hopefully this revelation wasn't too much of a disappointment.

I... don't see why I should be disappointed. The sketches on their own look good. And the fact that you've applied geometry into your drawings is a great skill in itself.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 06:16:23 pm »
I'm glad that you don't think that the method I've been using is so bad. :)

Well, on to the next one. I'm currently working on a drawing of someone walking ("Hitting Your Stride" from Mastering Manga). I'm not sure if I'll upload it because it's mostly a study of a character in motion; her face is a little expressionless. But after I finish that I think I'll draw something that isn't from Mastering Manga.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:20:59 pm by altuixde »