Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pre-release thread: THE iDOLM@STER: Platinum Stars  (Read 179096 times)

Maka

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: THE iDOLM@STER: Platinum Stars
« Reply #315 on: February 04, 2016, 05:02:48 pm »
^ yeah I think a lot of people just nail censorship in the U.S. to "oh people are too easily offended/it's those darn ess jay double yous" but really censorship goes both ways. Some Japanese game elements would be and are completely bizarre and offensive here but the opposite is true as well. Like No More Heroes (which I haven't played, this is just off of stuff I know) a character's suicide was ok here but in the JP version it was edited to a bugs bunny type of slapstick thing where the character just sort of. Does the cartoon bomb thing.

And Dangan Ronpa has buckets of blood but it's okay because it's not red, it's pink!

This turned ranty because I have a lot of thoughts on censorship but the long and short of it is that if something gets censored in the US, it's because of deep cultural differences, not just people getting "pointlessly offended".

Elixir

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 04, 2016, 09:31:27 pm »
Uhh, is that trailer 30 fps? It says 720p60 but it doesn't feel right.

Chihayaa

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 04, 2016, 10:57:20 pm »

It definitely is playing at 60fps for me. Maybe your display isn't capable of running 60fps?

Logan

• ζ*'ヮ')ζ<はーん
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 04, 2016, 10:59:43 pm »
I'm back to say the art style has grown on me but that their noses are way too high. Serving me philtrum. Lots.

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛さは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2016, 03:44:31 am »
I'm back to say the art style has grown on me but that their noses are way too high. Serving me philtrum. Lots.

I think it's because how the noses are shown is different. The models before look like it's leading to the bottom of the nose while the new ones is part of the nose.

It's okay to not be used to it at first. I remember when I first saw Leon I wasn't that fond of her design but after going through OFA and getting to know her I didn't dislike her.

Nakiame

• Hibike, Hibiki!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 05, 2016, 06:15:32 am »
The original resolution is 1080@60 and it's very fluid. Rather than display i think it's your OS or browser fault.

TheTanStar

• View Profile
    • Twitch.tv Livestream
« Reply #321 on: February 05, 2016, 08:49:24 am »
Try right clicking on the player and checking "stats for nerds" to see if there are significant frame drops.

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 05, 2016, 06:18:04 pm »
I edited my last post to include a comparison Setsuna did for different countries tolerances.  Sorry, for Off-Topic posts.  I won't do that again.

ninjamitsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2016, 12:24:36 am »
Hyperdimension Neptunia Producing Perfection was WAY more perverted than iM@S ever was and yet it still got a T rating.

I don't even think it will ever be localized for North America, but it might get an Asian release with English subs like a few games have been getting.

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛さは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 06, 2016, 02:13:37 am »
Hyperdimension Neptunia Producing Perfection was WAY more perverted than iM@S ever was and yet it still got a T rating.
Any particular examples? I didn't get too far into the game so far but it just seemed like a less detailed imas game play wise.

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2016, 07:04:33 am »
Ya know, I've been kinda meaning to look at what GamiP said in that Famitsu article, but I've never really gotten to it. This is probably all stuff that's been seen before, but eh.

About the title, like... think of the idols becoming stars. Made of platinum. Or something. (Yes, he uses platinum as an adjective to describe star, and says that's what the idols are trying to be.)
They kinda wanted this to be a fresh start, so they made a new logo.
You can see some of the screenshots where the camera is behind the idols. The range of the camera, and all the funky stuff they do with it, has been improved.
I didn't see anything about where the player controls the penlights in the audience, he literally says they are being controlled to do stuff. Could be automatic (sounds that way to me), but yeah - up to 50000 penlights in the audience at once.
He says he wants to have the first PS4 Im@s game be a sort of benchmark for the rest. I take this as something like a baseline, and that the sort of stuff you see in Platinum Stars will be seen in other PS4 games, like the rendering engine. That's just my interpretation, though.
Either way, they've been doing a lot of R&D to pull that off. He says Im@s kinda exists between 2D and 3D, kinda like the series is rendered in 2.5D, if you get what he's saying.
Variable Toon, and Famitsu mentions that this seems to be the next thing R&D pulled out after Im@s 2's Sensitive Toon, has many parts. One of which... if I got this right... is taking an illustration that's been made and touched up in 2D, and applying effects to it that are normally used in 3D graphics - specifically mentioning shadows. I should note that I'm having trouble picking out what exactly he means - backgrounds are 2D, but then so are textures applied to 3D models. Me personally, I'd check for changes in 2D backgrounds depending on time of day (or something similar - something obviously a 2D image changing dynamically to light), if I'm looking to be impressed. I think that's more in line with what he means, 'cause otherwise it's all stuff that's been done before. That, or I'm totally not getting what he's getting at.
They were going for a softer (gentler) look with their modeling, and at the same time want to make their models more expressive than before.
He reminds people that the producer is going to summer (spring, or whatever they're just training) camp with the idols and meeting them for the first time, we've heard this before. Chihaya P's can get chewed out by her all over again.
Then he says again that this is the Takagi Training Camp for Starving Idols and stuff.

Then, about the franchise as a whole...
Yes, we love Cinderella Girls and Million Live and Side M, and we're doing stuff for them don't worry. 10 is a big round number and we like it, so we're all looking for something new and fresh. (Oh yeah, 31 January Million Live Tour in Nagoya - please come! Except it was a week ago since translator is lazy.)
Finally, please support your friendly neighborhood Platinum Stars and stuff. We'll say more later, trust us. K thx bye.

... Okay, maybe he didn't say it like that, but that's essentially what was in the article.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:07:38 am by Cael K. »
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

ninjamitsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 06, 2016, 07:18:59 am »
The main problem with localizing iM@S is the huge licensing costs for all the music, not the content of the game itself.

Nayre

• Haisai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 06, 2016, 07:56:06 am »
I don't even think it will ever be localized for North America, but it might get an Asian release with English subs like a few games have been getting.

I'm perfectly happy with this.  I also think this is the best choice they have for catering to their western fans right now and this way, they won't have to do any unnecessary censoring either.

You can see some of the screenshots where the camera is behind the idols. The range of the camera, and all the funky stuff they do with it, has been improved.
I didn't see anything about where the player controls the penlights in the audience, he literally says they are being controlled to do stuff. Could be automatic (sounds that way to me), but yeah - up to 50000 penlights in the audience at once.
He says he wants to have the first PS4 Im@s game be a sort of benchmark for the rest. I take this as something like a baseline, and that the sort of stuff you see in Platinum Stars will be seen in other PS4 games, like the rendering engine. That's just my interpretation, though.

Man, I'm getting chills just imagining how glorious the performances will be, especially the full stage ones.  We got a small glimpse of it at the end of the trailer with 'em walking around while waving to the audience.  I wonder if they'll implement some of sort of audience interaction like they do in actual lives like getting them to do calls and stuff(as an option we can toggle on/off).  Looking forward to seeing the new camera dynamics as well. XD

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 06, 2016, 11:13:42 am »
The main problem with localizing iM@S is the huge licensing costs for all the music, not the content of the game itself.

Sorry, but i simply believe this. I don't know who own the songs, but in case it's Bandai, there isn't really a problem there. If it isn't Bandai i still can't see why it would be so expensive as people often claim it to be. Why would the owner demand a huge sum? It would simply be stupid. If it isn't for the im@s games, they will never make any money with these songs in the west. But if they sell the rights for a meaningful price, they earn money directly with it without carrying any risk, they can only gain profit with it, and there is no loss of risk at all for the holder of the song copyrights (ofc, Bandai or whoever would do the localization can lose money on this). Plus it could theoretically open up a market for the future, for selling CDs and stuff. So demanding licensing fees which prevent a western release would be complete business stupidity. And as i said, that's all only if the licensing would have to go through someone else than Bandai Japan.

There is other licensing stuff going on ofc, but i don't believe that im@s is any different from any other game that is unknown in the west (as in: a Star Wars related license would certainly cost more than an im@s license).

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛さは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 06, 2016, 03:52:42 pm »
Chihaya P's can get chewed out by her all over again.

That's part of the charm.  ;D   Just makes the dere later even sweeter.

Man, I'm getting chills just imagining how glorious the performances will be, especially the full stage ones.  We got a small glimpse of it at the end of the trailer with 'em walking around while waving to the audience.  I wonder if they'll implement some of sort of audience interaction like they do in actual lives like getting them to do calls and stuff(as an option we can toggle on/off).  Looking forward to seeing the new camera dynamics as well. XD

I'm interested to see a tour of the new S4U. In the past it was kind of a down grade compared to the features in L4U, but it's good to see it's finally getting a big upgrade. (Now if they brought back vocal controls it'd be perfect  ;D) I hope they'll have a feature to upload your videos as well, even if it's only on an in game video server or something like that.