Username: Password:

Author Topic: Idolmaster Shiny Festa  (Read 169438 times)

AweOfShe

• 真のアイドルマスター
    • View Profile
    • Streaming random games at random times, live.
Re: Idolmaster Shiny Festa
« Reply #540 on: December 06, 2012, 06:12:11 pm »
It's not that I don't agree to some extent, but it's a lot easier to deal with disappointment if I keep my expectations in check is all. I'm not going to expect anything out of NBGI. I dunno, I can't seem to look into it or over-think it with a lot of optimism at the moment. But if something does come out of it, like an official announcement, then all the more better. :P

Though on the subject of Shiny Festa, my Funky Note arrived. Blazing through the content right now. The OVA was pretty entertaining.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:17:27 pm by AweOfShe »
NNID - Daioujou | 3DS FC - 0559 7548 8384
XBL/PSN/Steam - AweOfShe1

zeda12123

• Dan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 07, 2012, 12:00:59 am »
I have to admit, I agree that the timing is pretty suspicious. Normally they trademark tales of games pretty early. I dont want to get excited but this is getting me anxious

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #542 on: December 07, 2012, 03:52:33 am »
True, but they've had 7 years to file a trademark for iM@S and haven't until now. Why bother all of a sudden, and why trademark Shiny Festa with it? It's awfully suspicious behavior if they have no intent of localization.

Someone changed his mind and decided to do it just in case? Me personally, I wouldn't set my expectations too high. It'd be cool if it happened, but I usually don't like setting myself up for disappointment.

... Though I wonder how it'd be taken. Im@s can still be considered to be the fringe of the fringe.
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 07, 2012, 04:34:45 am »
If you see a trademark registered 'at random', sometimes the reason is entirely defensive.

Or namely, they're doing it to defend their IP, even if they have no plans to do anything with it in the future.

The best way to see a trademark registration is this: You file with the country/region the trademarks necessary to launch the IP, but it is an OPTION.

Namely, you don't have to. (IP law is pretty complicated, but it amounts to 'You can trademark just about anything that isn't considered public domain, as long as no one else can prove prior art to the date of your application.')

You technically don't even have to register the trademark at all, but it saves a lot of legal headache if you do.

Sometimes of course, you trademark with the intention of making sure no one can make anything that could be considered 'conflicting' with your work or could be seen as 'unfairly similar' to your work and thus can be seen as an 'infringement' usually via 'conflation'.

Or basically, you register because you may not have any intention of releasing, but you don't want ANYONE ELSE to release something with a similar sounding name, image, or concept.

I put the quotes for a reason - what the law says is considered those terms can get pretty silly - Apple (The computer company) tried to sue Woolworths (the biggest of the supermarkets in Australia) over the fact that Woolworths had an apple shape in its trademark, and argued that the apple in it was unfairly conflating the two brands together. (Even though of course, Apple and Woolworths aren't anywhere NEAR each other market wise.)

It took the ACCC (An Australian Government branch) to tell Apple to quit it, for being, well, a bunch of morons, if for no other reason, Woolworths had the trademark registered for about 20 years, and it wasn't going to win, and if the courts somehow ruled in favour of Apple, they'd get right on changing the rules in Australia to prevent that sort of stupid from lasting more than a week.

It's not the worst of it though - intel previously wanted the letter 'i' as a trademark and spent years suing people for it (including apple, as you can guess), and unknown to most of the anime fanbase because three people (I was one of them) killed the story before it went to ANN) the word cosplay was at threat of being trademarked in the US via the Bourne Convention, via Singapore.

That option expired in 2007, but I think we should be thankful that there's a limitation to how long you can wait before you can request an automatic granting via a trademark export, and the fact that, of course, the people who did register it (check Sinagpore's trademark registry if you doubt the story) never clued into the convention that permitted the export to Japan and the US with no contest.

-----

The long and short of it is? A trademark implies either a defensive option to prevent similar IPs from using anything similar, or an intention to actually use the IP.

Don't count on a release until you get news that confirms that, well, someone's going to do something OTHER than file the trademark application in a drawer.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Garraboa

• Star earrings go with everything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 07, 2012, 06:40:59 am »
Oh dear, the news already got to Destructoid:

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-namco-bandai-may-localize-an-idolmaster-game-239895.phtml

Many broken hearts expected thanks to this :V
Everyone should have their version of "GO MY WAY!!" and "relations"

Dreams won’t end just as dreams,so become my today!
I don’t mind getting hurt,I don’t mind if it’s difficult,ah~, I don’t mind any punishment, bring it on!

876 PRO, GO!!

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 07, 2012, 03:50:48 pm »
I wouldn't consider it terribly random, as the games have only been out in Japan for two months. It seems pretty well timed.

But we'll just have to see. Either they will or they won't. The only way to know would be if someone tried to reach them for comment and they bothered to respond.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #546 on: December 07, 2012, 05:03:15 pm »
Oh dear, the news already got to Destructoid:

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-namco-bandai-may-localize-an-idolmaster-game-239895.phtml

Many broken hearts expected thanks to this :V

Key word: rumor.

RUMOR

Zerorush

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 09, 2012, 09:45:12 am »
They're definitely aware of the western audience the series has. A buddy of mine who is a fellow im@s fan asked some Namco guys at the most recent Anime Expo about the series and they said that when the time to figure out what games to bring over from Japan rolls around Idolm@ster always comes up in discussion. Always gets rejected, he wasn't allowed to say why though.

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 10, 2012, 01:43:09 pm »

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 11, 2012, 10:08:25 pm »
Already posted in another section, but I'll post here for relevance.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/11/idolmaster-shiny-festa-trademarks-registered-in-the-u-s-too/

Can we get excited yet?

Scotty

• 961Pro President
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • Kuroi Shachou
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 12, 2012, 12:39:35 am »
And why did they have to pick one of of their worst games to be the ice breaker?

Shiny Festa runs circles around DS.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #551 on: December 12, 2012, 05:05:48 am »
Shiny Festa runs circles around DS.

At least DS is decent and an actual idol sim.

When it comes to what America likes, it's not Festa. It's not any idolm@ster.

digi162

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 12, 2012, 08:41:56 am »
Kinda reminds me of when Idolm@ster content showed up on the NA Xbox marketplace.  I remember that too was treated like a sign that IM@S was coming to the states, but mehhhh nothing happened.

My guess for a release is no, since PSP has been dead in NA for a long time now.  Stores around here don't even carry anything PSP related anymore asides from Vita, and even that is fighting for shelf space right now.  The game would have to be a PSN download only or slapped onto a Vita cartridge.  Plus could they get away with subtitles or would they try and dub sections of it?  Just doesn't seem so simple to me but who knows what will happen.

It could be that with the next IM@S installment, maybe they have something more global in mind, so they're protecting their property before they venture out?  WHO KNOWS.  IT'S FUN TO GUESS.
MCDONALDS x YAYOI FANFIC PLZ

Zerorush

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 12, 2012, 10:01:44 am »
I PSN untranslated release of Festa is probably the most realistic expectation at this point. Cave did it on XBL with Deathsmiles 2.

Kind of pointless since Sony devices are region free and you can get them legitimately right now anyway, but it would be a cool gesture to cut out some of the steps and have it available on our marketplace.

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 12, 2012, 02:15:51 pm »
Kinda reminds me of when Idolm@ster content showed up on the NA Xbox marketplace.

Is any of that still up? I don't recall ever seeing any.

My guess for a release is no, since PSP has been dead in NA for a long time now.  Stores around here don't even carry anything PSP related anymore asides from Vita, and even that is fighting for shelf space right now.  The game would have to be a PSN download only or slapped onto a Vita cartridge.  Plus could they get away with subtitles or would they try and dub sections of it?  Just doesn't seem so simple to me but who knows what will happen.

A) You're wrong about PSP. There are still plenty of games lined up. The next Corpse Party comes out this month (probably next week), I think Aksys picked up another Hakuoki, NISA has the new Generation of Chaos in February and still has Black Rock Shooter lined up, there were like 2-3 PSP games that came out just last month, and I honestly forget what else is already planned for next year. PSP isn't dead. It's on the decline, sure, but it's not dead.
B) Yeah, it's pretty much guaranteed to be digital. I'm okay with that. And yes, they can get away with no dubs on PSP.

Quote from: Zerorush link=topic=1746.msg45724#msg45724
I PSN untranslated release of Festa is probably the most realistic expectation at this point. Cave did it on XBL with Deathsmiles 2.

That absolutely won't happen. SCEA is already strict enough with their policies on Japanese games. They definitely won't let something untranslated get put up.

In fact, did the movelist ever get translated for Guilty Gear? I haven't checked the PSN version, but I know it wasn't on the 360 version and there was speculation that that was why it was delayed for so long on the NA stores. If it's been translated, then there's your answer, indicating that they won't accept untranslated content.