Username: Password:

Author Topic: Localizing iDOLM@STER 2  (Read 20122 times)

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: Localizing iDOLM@STER 2
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 09:33:09 am »
That might be true but there isn't anything wrong with hoping :)

I dunno. If you've been in the fields I've worked with, you can find out the hard way that hoping can in fact cause major problems.

I digress though.

On topic - Yes, I've sniffed around the files on the X360 and PS3 versions - 'lol nope' is being GENEROUS. Until it gets cracked, well, we're going to be waiting around a while. (And that statement alone probably says that I have access to far too many PS3 and X360 consoles for one person.)

With the DLC sale going on, it may start to lift the business case somewhat. The Best version also put down the price to 3900 yen. You could start pitching it now, and people at NBGI (namely their accountants) would probably start grumbling less.

You'd probably have to propose said work when the entire DLC catalog is permanently discounted. If I had to wager a guess, maybe 12 months from now? It'd be more likely a console im@s game would be upcoming at this point though...
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Treemotan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 05:24:03 pm »
I dunno. If you've been in the fields I've worked with, you can find out the hard way that hoping can in fact cause major problems.

I digress though.

On topic - Yes, I've sniffed around the files on the X360 and PS3 versions - 'lol nope' is being GENEROUS. Until it gets cracked, well, we're going to be waiting around a while. (And that statement alone probably says that I have access to far too many PS3 and X360 consoles for one person.)

'lolnope' is being EXTREMELY generous. My older brother used to work for gaming companies (programming and localization) and currently makes a living programming and cracking codes for the military when he's not training fighter pilots and travelling the world, and his reaction to the encryption on iM@S 2 models and data was pretty much 'dafaq is this crap'. Take that as you will, but it basically boils down to iM@S 2 being one tough cookie.

FFFF, maybe Namco's got plans for some sort of mind-control device in there. To get us to give them all our money.

You'd probably have to propose said work when the entire DLC catalog is permanently discounted. If I had to wager a guess, maybe 12 months from now? It'd be more likely a console im@s game would be upcoming at this point though...

iM@S 3: Idols in SPAAAAAAAAAAACE.

zeda12123

• Dan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2012, 05:29:23 pm »
If one were to do a fan translation, we could always go about it a different way? Kind of like just going through the routes, translating it and then posting on to a wiki or something along those lines? I've heard of groups translating without going into the code of the game and just posting it up on their website, although it's been awhile so i can't even remember the project...
I'm mostly just spitballin' over here.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2012, 06:34:07 pm »
'lolnope' is being EXTREMELY generous. My older brother used to work for gaming companies (programming and localization) and currently makes a living programming and cracking codes for the military when he's not training fighter pilots and travelling the world, and his reaction to the encryption on iM@S 2 models and data was pretty much 'dafaq is this crap'. Take that as you will, but it basically boils down to iM@S 2 being one tough cookie.

FFFF, maybe Namco's got plans for some sort of mind-control device in there. To get us to give them all our money.

iM@S 3: Idols in SPAAAAAAAAAAACE.

Some of the data has been successfully taken as it's been used to backport some material from im@s 2 to Live for you, as well as do some adjustments (like removing models, allowing for blank spots for some songs, or having a Haruka army, or getting everyone to forget their lines among other things) to make it all work.

If you're wondering what I mean about the backporting, here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzYOe2PhDV0

Of course, if you want to talk this secretive group into SHARING their work, well, that's a different story.

I understand it's a mostly proprietary engine (Coupled with Lua) blocked by a XOR (standard 360 encryption), and the XOR was apparently the EASY part of the operation and apparently was smacked out by a *chan group relatively easily. Figuring out what to do with the blobs of data, and then figuring out the checksums and where they were stashed apparently was (And still is) the hard part. (Yep, altering the files aren't enough.)

Of course, I'm not a programmer, and as much as I'd like to recruit a secretive group of people, the real problem is their focus is on models and the like, where we'd (ideally) want access to the text. I've an idea where to direct efforts, but I'm only a novice programmer at best, and all I can provide is a stupid amount of resources.

Then there's the whole legal issue. I don't think I'd need to go into detail there.

As a technical exercise it'd be a lot of fun though. The problem is the amount of skilled people who'd be willing to invest serious time into it are slim, to say the least.

And they already did the space joke. What do you think the UFO in Space stage was FOR? Sadly, the only thing they didn't include were the spacesuits from L4U.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:46:09 pm by Setsuna »
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Treemotan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2012, 07:13:53 pm »
If one were to do a fan translation, we could always go about it a different way? Kind of like just going through the routes, translating it and then posting on to a wiki or something along those lines? I've heard of groups translating without going into the code of the game and just posting it up on their website, although it's been awhile so i can't even remember the project...
I'm mostly just spitballin' over here.
I remember hearing that someone actually did translate the entirety of Dearly Stars and putting the translated script online. Not sure if they actually did, though I can assume it'd be a much more mountainous task to translate the entirety of the console games. It'd definitely help the people without knowledge of the Japanese language, but dang. A lot of work would have to go into it.

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »
I think I remember seeing a good bit of it on YouTube, but I can't remember for sure.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2012, 05:28:43 am »
You kind of take dialogue for granted in games when you read it

I don't. It's pretty obvious that iDOLM@STER is a text filled game.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 06:37:41 am »
Well... sorry then o_O;;

Oh sorry! I didn't mean to come off as rude, I'm just saying. It's practically a visual novel.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 06:58:46 am »
All good, I know what you mean x_x I tend not to notice the amount of text when I'm engrossed in enjoying story is what I meant!
One time my friend insisted on playing Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side with me translating it word for word as she played ... I got sick of that after a half an hour or so! LOL

It's just such a huge shame, I know a lot of my friends would love Idolmaster but they can't play it because its not in English :/

It's sad that people can get so overwhelmed by Japanese text.
It's an easy to play game and I've learned Japanese words and kanji from playing it.

Elixir

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 12:34:29 pm »
This thread puts me in a really good mood. That, and cream cheese and green onion sandwiches.

It's taking Namco all their time to localize Tales Of, which has a pretty established western fanbasethat they abandoned.

Treemotan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 11:40:26 pm »
This thread puts me in a really good mood. That, and cream cheese and green onion sandwiches.

It's taking Namco all their time to localize Tales Of, which has a pretty established western fanbasethat they abandoned.

Namco pretty much likes to throw its western fanbase under a truck in general.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2012, 12:52:40 am »
Namco pretty much likes to throw its western fanbase under a truck in general.

Heh. Well even if idolm@ster got localized...and it's target audience is, let's say tween girls.

Do tween girls have money to spend on DLC? No.

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2012, 05:36:59 am »

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2012, 08:35:56 pm »
Well, if hacking is so hard, then I suppose it is better to post the translations online.  There is that group that has translated alot of the Idolmaster Drama CDs, Manga, and Doujinshi.  Maybe we could hire them to translate the game and post the translations online? 

Bro

• Found Melan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 11:39:53 pm »
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/04...international/

Namco isn't one to file patents without means.
Get on the hype plane, iM@S might just be leaving Japan.
HIBIKI PRIDE 2013

[4:15:39 PM] MooMoo: i think nonowa's cute tho
[4:15:59 PM] MooMoo: i bet if she was real she'd feel like a ballon full of warm water