Username: Password:

Author Topic: Figure Skating  (Read 2290 times)

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
Figure Skating
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:01:31 am »
Like iM@S, it involves music and dancing.  There's no singing, though, except for music used in ice dance and exhibitions.  I'm a little late posting this topic because the world championships ended a week ago (where Japan won more medals than any other country, with three bronzes and a silver).  Oh, and if you get US television channels you can watch it on NBC tomorrow (Sunday, April 8th).  Check your local listings (it's at 3PM EDT where I live).  So is anyone else a fan?  I can't wait for the World Team Trophy; I think Japan will have the edge there as well.

JNiles

• Producer
  • Gimme a hug
    • View Profile
Re: Figure Skating
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:04:43 am »
Not a fan, but I heard a Canadian skated to a Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross medley in a recent competition.  Though he did not place well (pulled a Haruka), he deserves an award for spirit.

Sooner or later, someone will skate to Imas music.  Go my way~  (I wouldn't mind Ai Like Hamburger either- it has skates.. sort of)

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:42:03 pm »
That's Kevin Reynolds; he spins faster in the air than anyone.  Nobunari Oda and the pair Volosozhar and Trankov have skated to Super Mario Bros. music in exhibitions.  I didn't recognize many themes from Chrono Trigger in Kevin's music, but that's probably because I'm used to hearing it from an SNES.  One of the themes from Chihaya's Gratitude CD was played during the 2009 World Team Trophy, but I can't say that they were thinking of the idolmaster when they chose it because Sarah Brightman sang the same theme at the 2007 IAAF Championships in Osaka and it's been a popular theme in Japan ever since.

JNiles

• Producer
  • Gimme a hug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:23:27 am »
That's Kevin Reynolds; he spins faster in the air than anyone.  Nobunari Oda and the pair Volosozhar and Trankov have skated to Super Mario Bros. music in exhibitions.  I didn't recognize many themes from Chrono Trigger in Kevin's music, but that's probably because I'm used to hearing it from an SNES.  One of the themes from Chihaya's Gratitude CD was played during the 2009 World Team Trophy, but I can't say that they were thinking of the idolmaster when they chose it because Sarah Brightman sang the same theme at the 2007 IAAF Championships in Osaka and it's been a popular theme in Japan ever since.

Nobunari Oda is a descendant of Nobunaga Oda, right?  I heard about him.  If ever there were a time to take up the family business...

So... Sarah Brightman sings Chihaya songs -> Chihaya = Christine?  I can dig it.  Producer of the Opera!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:56:40 am »
Yup, it's true that Nobunari is a descendant of Nobunaga Oda.  However Sarah Brightman didn't sing the complete song from Chihaya's CD.  Sarah's "Running" contains a theme from Gustav Holst's The Planets (from the Jupiter movement) and so does Chihaya's "Jupiter".  When I heard them playing it during the broadcast in 2009 I thought it was iM@S influence, but now I think it probably wasn't.  I wish more figure skaters would choose distinctive music to skate to, though.  A lot of them choose music that's been used many times already by other skaters.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:04:10 am by altuixde »

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:24:22 pm »
If anyone's interested, there's going to be a free live stream of the 2012 World Team Trophy, which starts in about two days.

TTB

• anta nyanka...
    • View Profile
    • please help them out
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 01:20:43 am »
Yup, it's true that Nobunari is a descendant of Nobunaga Oda.  However Sarah Brightman didn't sing the complete song from Chihaya's CD.  Sarah's "Running" contains a theme from Gustav Holst's The Planets (from the Jupiter movement) and so does Chihaya's "Jupiter".  When I heard them playing it during the broadcast in 2009 I thought it was iM@S influence, but now I think it probably wasn't.  I wish more figure skaters would choose distinctive music to skate to, though.  A lot of them choose music that's been used many times already by other skaters.

On that note, the current head of the Aizu-Matsudaira clan, an old Japanese businessman, is the grandson of Matsudaira Katamori, the shogunate lord who opposed Emperor Meiji during the Boshin War.

Can you imagine how crazy his stories must be: "I remember my granpda told me he supported the Tokugawa shogunate against Emperor Meiji at first. My grandpa says Tokugawa Yoshinobu was a pussy. Also they said he farts under the covers, what a jerk. Anyway Emperor Meiji and the SatCho alliance won in the end. Grandpa told me of when the samurai in our province were finally stripped of their hair-knots and swords, what a day that was."

Even more than the Nobunaga figure skater, this man is a piece of living history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsudaira_Morisada

Quote from: Wikipedia
Morisada was approached by the Imperial Household Agency in the late 1980s, with a request to serve as an official at the mourning ceremony for Emperor Hirohito; simultaneously, they expressed a desire to install him as chief priest of Yasukuni Shrine. Morisada declined the Yasukuni appointment, as the shrine was built to enshrine the soldiers of the Imperial Japanese Army who died in the Boshin War and exclude those who fought against them, including men of the Aizu, Sendai, Nihonmatsu, and Morioka domains.

You tell them Morisada! That Yasukuni shrine is a farce so long as everyone who stood up to SatCho aggression is excluded!

Including these 19 boys of the White Tiger Corps of Aizu who committed seppuku according to the bushido code! Morisada's grandfather Katamori governing the province wrote a death poem for the young warriors, but they are denied a place in Yasukuni?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byakkotai

Quote from: Matsudaira Katamori
幾人の 涙は石にそそぐとも その名は世々に 朽じとぞ思う

Ikutari no namida wa ishi ni sosogu tomo sono na wa yoyo ni kuji to zo omou

"No matter how many people wash the stones with their tears, these names will never vanish from the world."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:29:49 am by TTB »

satty

• Producer
  • Haha, time for best Tank Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 02:18:39 am »
On that note, the current head of the Aizu-Matsudaira clan, an old Japanese businessman, is the grandson of Matsudaira Katamori, the shogunate lord who opposed Emperor Meiji during the Boshin War.

Can you imagine how crazy his stories must be: "I remember my granpda told me he supported the Tokugawa shogunate against Emperor Meiji at first. My grandpa says Tokugawa Yoshinobu was a pussy. Also they said he farts under the covers, what a jerk. Anyway Emperor Meiji and the SatCho alliance won in the end. Grandpa told me of when the samurai in our province were finally stripped of their hair-knots and swords, what a day that was."

Even more than the Nobunaga figure skater, this man is a piece of living history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsudaira_Morisada

You tell them Morisada! That Yasukuni shrine is a farce so long as everyone who stood up to SatCho aggression is excluded!

Including these 19 boys of the White Tiger Corps of Aizu who committed seppuku according to the bushido code! Morisada's grandfather Katamori governing the province wrote a death poem for the young warriors, but they are denied a place in Yasukuni?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byakkotai

Having played Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, that was sort of a trip.
--Under Construction---

TTB

• anta nyanka...
    • View Profile
    • please help them out
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 03:33:33 am »
Having played Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, that was sort of a trip.

I'm playing it right now on Very Hard (Legendary's no manual saves is bs and there's no other diff between VH and L), the Tsuu are surrounded and declared war on by ALL sides, literally I'm in the middle of Japan and the diplo screen shows a sea of angry red. Every last one of my 10 battles has been do-or-die. Outnumbered, outgunned, have to flank like crazy, slow-mo often, juke enemy arty, income barely 400 koku per turn, unhappiness everywhere, finally pushed through to the north, found some trade partners and made peace with ONE of 7 neighbors, got 7000 koku tribute with the peace FINALLY I CAN AFFORD TO UPGRADE ONE FARM :) Ridges are everything in this game, have to zoom in to position the gunners all the time but it makes all the difference in the world. Long live the Emperor!

Ahem... ok back to figure skating...