Username: Password:

Author Topic: Requesting NISA to Localize iDOLM@STER 2 PS3  (Read 7254 times)

satty

• Producer
  • Haha, time for best Tank Witch
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting NISA to Localize iDOLM@STER 2 PS3
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 08:42:55 am »
Well, I was one, I'm sort of hanging that hat for now. I still do support work on request though, although I invoice. I did more research, which left me in the interview arena, and with an actual contacts list.

Re: US replacing the Japanese stream - Basically the math comes out like this.

If we assume that there's 100k copies and each copy generates 4000 yen per month...

If the new value of each copy is 1000 yen per month, you'd need to sell 4x the amount of copies (it's a little more due to how taxes and the like are calculated, but it'll serve close enough.)

Hope that explains how NBGI would have to replace the revenue stream if it took the loss. (It's how I roughly calculated the costs of bringing the game over to the US and the rough numbers they needed. I'm assuming 50k sales is enough to make it worthwhile + 100k to justify the licencing and extra costs required and to make other stakeholders happy.)

For the flood to not happen, you'd have to do it so late that there's no real risk (namely after im@s 2 is done and dusted, and chain the discount rate to be the standard US rate) but then you run the risk of the Japanese fanbase sitting on their money come im@s 3 (or actually, when another im@s title shows up first.) if they know, unless you deliberately pace it so that the US will be a game behind permamently

But yes, STV is a good case study about what happens when you sit on a game for too long. It's a nice enough game, but essentially, niche, midway through the series (or close to its very end), somewhat dated at the time of its release. It's a recipe for danger if nothing else.

By the time it happens, you'd... uh, see something close to the above applying for im@s 2. (L4U would fall into to this catergory, if we say, released it tomorrow. Im@s 1 looks positively primitive compared to even L4U, so it would definitely be in that catergory.)

Sakura Taisen V never showed up in Australia, if you were curious. It did poorly enough to not be mentioned in NISA's annual report that year for Europe.

But yeah, you're better off trying to gun for a European release - it's almost doable that way. Still risky, but it doesn't entail DLC suicide, at least.

US citizens may be pretty griping about such a move (And still complaining about the price), but the problem is that the US market's been somewhat of an abormality for a while now. It'd be the only way to sanely do it.

I only named Australia as a starting point because it's the most expensive of the English speaking game markets. The game prices went up to 120 AU (120 US!) at one point, which should show that games can sell at those prices.

Sadly, there's significant risks in the US market as well, but it's more likely Europe's going to blow up first. But I don't think that either's particularly safe. (But then again neither is Japan, but like I said, different story.)

Ah, okay, I get the stream replacement. But yeah, it's really hard to find a lot of people in the US to replace the stream.

Pretty much, localization is "damned if you do, damned if you don't."
--Under Construction---