Username: Password:

Author Topic: Thinking of importing this, have a few questions :)  (Read 2264 times)

Sheentaku

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Thinking of importing this, have a few questions :)
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:49:20 pm »
Hi, after watching the Idolm@ster anime I really want to buy this game when the PS3 version comes out but I do have a few questions on the game which I would be grateful if you all could answer for me.

1. Is this this game playable for somebody who knows no Japanese? I have imported games before but nothing this text heavy.

2. Whats the actually gameplay like? I understand its basically a Idol raising game but are the gameplay portions like a rhythm game? How are the mini games played?

3. What gameplay modes are there? I understand that there is story mode but is there any other modes? Other than selecting text what else do you do?

4. s a summary available of whats been added in the PS3 versions compared to the 360?

5. I hear certain Idols were taken out and Jupiter were added in there place, Can you play as Jupitar? Also ive read in the ps3 thread that the idols that were taken out are now playable in the ps3 version is this true?

6. I have noticed the Asian version is alot cheaper than the JP version, is there any drawbacks to the Asian version? Also does JP DLC work on the Asian version?
Which version is ultimately better?

Thank you very much for reading and I hope you will be able to help.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Thinking of importing this, have a few questions :)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:03:37 am »
1. Is this this game playable for somebody who knows no Japanese? I have imported games before but nothing this text heavy.

Yes.
I've played both idolm@ster SP and boxm@s and were able to completely enjoy them without reading Japanese. (My kanji ability is terrible). When I first got the games I barely knew what to do. But if you're patient you will slowly catch on.

2. Whats the actually gameplay like? I understand its basically a Idol raising game but are the gameplay portions like a rhythm game? How are the mini games played?

Can't say what idolm@ster 2 is like, but in SP and boxm@s you chose an everyday schedule and followed it. Sometimes you do communications, sometimes you do lessons (minigames), sometimes you do nothing (to help tension).
It's really a simulation game and your choices are critical.

As the producer you have to decide what choices on that day will help your idol. If you're lacking in a stat before an audition maybe you could do a lesson to help. If you're lacking in memories you should do a communication.

The mini games are easy. I think they took out the hardest ones (the lyric lesson) in idolm@ster 2.

I'm not sure what im@s 2 is like but I assume it is similar.

3. What gameplay modes are there? I understand that there is story mode but is there any other modes? Other than selecting text what else do you do?

S4U. Pick idols, pick stage, pick song, pick outfits. Watch them perform.

4. s a summary available of whats been added in the PS3 versions compared to the 360?

<Don't know here>

5. I hear certain Idols were taken out and Jupiter were added in there place, Can you play as Jupitar? Also ive read in the ps3 thread that the idols that were taken out are now playable in the ps3 version is this true?

Also, Azusa, Ami, Ritsuko, and Iori were not producable.
I still don't know if they will be in ps3

6. I have noticed the Asian version is alot cheaper than the JP version, is there any drawbacks to the Asian version? Also does JP DLC work on the Asian version?
Which version is ultimately better?

This is a tricky question.

When I got my idolm@ster SP I had a coupon for free DLC only for the asian version so I got an asian psn account.
It has pretty much the same DLC except for one:

Since Macross isn't licensed in 'asia', the Ranka Lee costume was not included.

However you can make a Japanese account. I think everything in the store is Japanese then. (Someone please confirm this)  If you have an asian account as long as you pick English as your language everything's english.

Also I don't think this'll be a problem but in the Asian version the instructions usually come in Chinese. SP came with several english things. There's a possibility the asian version comes with a small english instruction sheet.

Neither version is "better" but (and I highly doubt they will do this) on the majority of 'asian' video games I've played there was english subtitles. I really don't think they will have this in idolm@ster, but if they did that would be pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:55:29 am by animagic4u »

Sheentaku

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:06:32 pm »
Thank you very much!

mallory627

• Desu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 05:10:19 am »
I have a question!!!

Before you go to an audition or a live show, can you switch your teams positions so someone else is leader for that audition?
I'd have to say that I'm a new Fangirl for Hokuto Ijuiin and I'm proud of it!!!

MissDeidara

• Afuu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 03:14:46 pm »
Before you go to an audition or a live show, can you switch your teams positions so someone else is leader for that audition?

You'll be able to do so starting with your 2nd playthrough.
(Information got here: http://imas.wikia.com/wiki/The_Idolm@ster_Gameplay_Wiki)
Take a look at it, it's really helpful! Also if you got any more questions, feel free to post it in the Idolm@ster 2 Gameplay Thread.

Edit: Thinking back on this, you probably already knew about the wiki and the Gameplay Thread...Oh well ~ 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:20:39 pm by MissDeidara »
While being a fangirl of Touma, MissDeidara really enjoys beating this latter in Fes.

mallory627

• Desu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 06:22:48 pm »
You'll be able to do so starting with your 2nd playthrough.
(Information got here: http://imas.wikia.com/wiki/The_Idolm@ster_Gameplay_Wiki)
Take a look at it, it's really helpful! Also if you got any more questions, feel free to post it in the Idolm@ster 2 Gameplay Thread.

Thank you! I was wondering about it and now I know!!! :)
I'd have to say that I'm a new Fangirl for Hokuto Ijuiin and I'm proud of it!!!

DJStarstryker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 09:54:19 pm »
Yeah, with the im@s wiki on Wikia, we're trying hard to make it so that English speakers can have fun with im@s. The only thing you should lose out on is the story, but honestly, it shouldn't be a big impact to your fun. If you want to learn more about the characters, I highly suggest watching the im@s anime. It doesn't really go into the individual girls' storylines from im@s 2 very much, just hinting towards them, but you can understand a bit about the characters' personalities. Xenoglossia was terrible, but this new im@s anime does a very good job of keeping all of the characters in character.
GIZA!