Username: Password:

Author Topic: Idolm@ster 2 on PS3  (Read 303570 times)

digi162

• View Profile
Re: Idolm@ster 2 on PS3
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2011, 02:12:33 am »
So yeah, after seeing that, I'm really doubtful we'll have to worry about a region lock here. Especially on a console well known for being region free.

^THIS

Unless someone links to a piece of reliable information stating they're region locking this bitch, you're just doing speculative reporting/trolling that they are gonna lock it.  They didn't region lock the PSP version despite the ability being there to do so.  Honestly they're not going to with the PS3 version, and no game previously on the PS3 has been region locked.  Idolm@ster has escaped Japan before without region lock, even if it was just portable versions, they're not going to try and hide the game now.  The only region locks that have been placed on the series have been due to the hardware (Xbox360 region locked & the DS version having locks on the DSi enhanced features).  The only thing your PS3 won't play will just be the anime that ships with the limited edition bundle.
MCDONALDS x YAYOI FANFIC PLZ

Rihsa

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2011, 02:13:43 am »
Well if Idolm@ster 2 is the one, that'll at least circulate the game's name more. Ha ha.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2011, 04:18:10 am »
^THIS

Unless someone links to a piece of reliable information stating they're region locking this bitch, you're just doing speculative reporting/trolling that they are gonna lock it.  They didn't region lock the PSP version despite the ability being there to do so.  Honestly they're not going to with the PS3 version, and no game previously on the PS3 has been region locked.  Idolm@ster has escaped Japan before without region lock, even if it was just portable versions, they're not going to try and hide the game now.  The only region locks that have been placed on the series have been due to the hardware (Xbox360 region locked & the DS version having locks on the DSi enhanced features).  The only thing your PS3 won't play will just be the anime that ships with the limited edition bundle.

If I recall correctly, region lock was demonstrated with one PSP game. It's somewhere in storage, but such capacity does exist. It's an obscure (and not particularly good) PSP title. I might pull it out sometime and take a screencap.

As well, there are also some games (FFVI or was it IV) which would detect your PSP and set the default language accordingly and automatically, and all UMDs report a region (Which is important for UMD video, which ARE region locked and consequently why all UMDs can force the PSP to report)

As well, I need to check if the Macross Game/BR movie is subject to region encoding. It's a unique hybird, where the game AND the movie are on the one disc.

The last note is that ALL Blue-ray discs are region encoded. This won't matter too much unless you're outside the US as Japan shares the same general region code, with a couple of technical differences as the US region coding. Check the side of the PS3's box sometime, but yes, it matters, and yes, I read the technical brief Sony provided to developers concerning the firmware (Which they need to when they provide firmware on the disc.)

In all cases, they are not enforced because these have to be turned on by developer. (In the X360's case, it's pretty much the same - you can enable it at will, or force the region check to happen.)

I'm used to curveballs and all sorts of oddball statements being made from various internal sources. (I'm a freelance journalist of about what,11 years? When I mean I step or lean on people, I really do mean it.) For operational reasons I don't present it as more than conjecture since it protects them. Namely, I don't like my contacts getting fired. (And I nearly got one of them fired by accidently noting the Atelier Totori release three months before I should have. Long story.)

I guess it's mostly a case of 'Don't celebrate until it arrives in your hands and works as advertised.' I've been subject to series of promises that, well, don't pan out.

All that being said? Odds aren't that high. Thing is, Namco Bandai have well, been known to be absolutely evil. The capacity's there, and they would have been briefed on it. Will they? I haven't heard anything yet. I'll continue my counsel.

Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

DJStarstryker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2011, 04:51:57 am »
I'm not really surprised this is happening. I was more surprised by the fact that they released a game on the PSP, honestly, just because for the PSP that meant that you were limited by the power of that handheld and the fact that the UMD disc space would be a problem for a game with so much voice acting. They got around the game by releasing 3 versions of it, but it certainly isn't ideal.

I bought a Japanese 360 a few years ago to play the original game. Thus, I already have the second. For me, this isn't really that huge of a deal. I haven't bought any DLC yet, but if I bought all of the things I wanted from the first 3 catalogs, it's still cheaper for me to buy DLC than to buy the PS3 game, even the version without all of the extras. Ultimately I just want Honey Heartbeat, Ai Like Hamburger, and maybe some email addresses (already have Little Match Girl). I think I probably would've wanted the PS3 version a LOT MORE if it also included catalog 4. That's the one that I want almost all of that catalog.  ;D

I feel like there's a chance that we may end up getting that song that is on the anime, for the 360 just as DLC that we have to pay for. If not, I'm OK with that.

I think the PS3 users kinda deserve it for having to wait. It reminds me of how the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 includes pretty much all of the DLC for it. I bought all of the DLC for the 360 game. Am I upset? Not really. I've been able to play that game since the day it came out, and I also have access to Mass Effect 1. It's sort of similar. Right now, PS3 users don't have access to the original iM@s or Live For You.
GIZA!

Rihsa

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2011, 05:15:41 am »
I played IM@S and L4U and honestly I'm not sad they were never ported to the PS3. It's not that I DON'T want them on the PS3... But 2's coming so I'm happy. LE SHRUG.

But having multiple systems FTW (and yes, I understand some people can't afford to buy all systems or even just find it a waste. Makes sense.).

Michi

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2011, 07:25:02 am »
I'm pre-ordering this ASAP. I'm stoked. While I have a friend with a Japanese 360 and can check out the game that way, I am SO HAPPY I will be able to have my own. And all that DLC! I can't wait. :)

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2011, 08:05:42 am »
You know, the most disturbing thought occurred to me the other day.

Really, how long does it take to port a game? I've wondered this since I was a kid, and the answer then? ... About a year.

Well, times have changed a bit since then, but I still kinda wonder how long it takes, programmatically speaking, to port a game. I remember Bayonetta had some problems with this, and I can't remember how long that delayed things... but if I were to guess at the amount of time required to port a game given no previous effort to do so, six months seems rushed. Eight months, maybe at the minimum. But I think I'd be comfortable with ten at least. I mean, I'm no insider by any means, so I don't know for sure, but still...

Eight months since release, and we're getting a port. How many of those months will be spent developing the PS3 version? Did they set aside the full eight months to complete it?

... Did they set aside more?

I mean, even the release date is set in stone. To compare, 7th Dragon 2020 is slated for a Fall release but they haven't set a date for it. Namco's hitting the same season, but what makes them so confident they'll make it by this date?

Something about me wants me to say that maybe, just maybe... a PS3 port was always part of the plan.

Well, it's just a thought that occurred to me, and I know I have nothing to back up my guesses, but still...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:12:24 am by Cael K. »
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Rihsa

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2011, 08:12:27 am »
No you're probably right about the planned thing. Namco did the exact same thing with Vesperia (there was data for the character Patty on the 360 disk and she's only playable on the PS3 version), Graces, and Eternal Sonata. Although the gap between the 360 and PS3 version for Idolm@ster 2 is kind of short.

digi162

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:00 am »
Quote from: Cael K.
Something about me wants me to say that maybe, just maybe... a PS3 port was always part of the plan.

It's a brilliant thought.  Because wasn't that the case with Tales of Vesperia (or Vampire Rain?  I'm trying to find the article again)?  That the game was developed for Xbox because the development costs were low, but it allowed them to port it over to PS3 albeit having to include additional content?  Honestly the idea to make a PS3 Im@s could have been around since 2008 when they announced making a PSP version.  Because after a year of the first game out, they released L4U and then announced SP a couple months later.  I'd have to assume during 2007 they could have been looking at the PS3 but chose to release L4U after a year of the first game, and then the PSP version a year later.  Makes me wonder if they have been investigating a PS3 version since those times but never found a way to do it and seem relevant.  Because you are right to question a date that specific, it might have just been a wait for the right moment sort of thing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:04:19 am by digi162 »
MCDONALDS x YAYOI FANFIC PLZ

Elixir

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2011, 03:51:44 am »
everyone seems to be under the impression that untranslated Japanese material automatically makes the article desirable and amazing because it's inaccessible to them, but really, it's not like that. watch the western jRPG fans praise the shit out of neptune II until it's released into English and then they'll still continue to eat it because westerners will purchase anything that's from Japan and has anime chicks in it. they won't realize that it's actually a remodeled Trinity Universe with a bestiary taken from Cross Edge and a battle system that consists entirely of mashing X and R1, they'll just be consumed by the ability to play the game.

they aren't going to region-lock an evidently mediore, months-old otomege with DLC tacked on. the ps3 version is a cash grab, it's not doing the ps3 userbase a favour or trying to branch into a larger audience. if you think otherwise, that isn't your opinion, you are deluded. the series has been out for years. anyone interested in the series would have taken measures to play the games already. you're playing another console's hand-me-downs with DLC attached only because Sony won't allow games from the 360 to be ported without additional content. as for additional content itself? it's a new difficulty level.

Scotty

• 961Pro President
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • Kuroi Shachou
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2011, 10:20:08 am »
Well, aren't we keeping it super real?

Point is, it's headed to the PS3. It will sell. And people who haven't played it before will do so now. You can give me all the facts and statistics in the world, and it won't keep this from being fact. So no, I'm not deluded for thinking otherwise, I'm using my brain. You basically contradicted yourself as soon as you said it was a cash grab. Duh, yes, everyone knows. Thus the larger audience.

Say I didn't want a 360. This one game interests me, but I'm not going to shell out the money for a console for it. It only interests me, I'm not dying for it. Now I can get it, since it's headed for the PS3. And hey, I might even actually like it, despite it being 'mediore', and less than a year old. Call me nuts.

SalemJeanette

• (ლ╹◡╹)ლ 彡┻━┻
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2011, 04:27:03 pm »
Limited edtion box, Gravure for you and the preview of the ps3 release in HD for download
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/386/386008/
Dat haruka (;´Д`)ハァハァ/lァ/lァ/ヽァ/ヽァ ノ \ア ノ \ア / \ ア / \ ア
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:52:02 pm by SalemJeanette »
Join the Idolmaster irc channel on Rizon #Idolmaster

Rihsa

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2011, 07:56:26 pm »
Ready's dance seems kind of... static. There's not much movement and what little there is is very simple. I still like the song and it's only a preview so whatever~

That gravure thing seems like fun. New PS3 wallpaper for me. XD Ha ha.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2011, 07:58:59 pm »
Wow. I'm away from home right now so I've not been checking the forum but while shopping for figures on amiami I noticed the limited edition box. I thought ps3 was a typo. I have an xbox but I would rather have the ps3 exclusives. Cannot wait!

Kovu

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2011, 09:55:39 pm »
So this might just be wishful thinking on my part, but in the full PS3 commercial about 40 seconds into the video does that dance in the bottom left corner of the screen before Iori does her rival burst look like the Overmaster dance arranged for 3 idols?