Username: Password:

Author Topic: Idolm@ster 2 Sales - Is it really bad?  (Read 3955 times)

TTB

• anta nyanka...
    • View Profile
    • please help them out
Idolm@ster 2 Sales - Is it really bad?
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:10:04 am »
Greetings distinguished forumers of ProjectIM@S.

Enthusiastic Iori fan here.

There's a disturbing rumor floating around that sales of Idolm@ster 2 are not going well, that already the game has slid to below 50th in the sales rankings, and that this represents a steel nail in the coffin of any possible Idolm@ster 3.

Could any knowledgeable forumers please share:

1. Is it true that Idolm@ster has slid to below 50th in sales rankings? Please share a URL if possible (Japanese/Chinese/English is ok). If so, based on your personal knowledge, what may have caused this drop in popularity?

2. Are there really male characters in Idolm@ster 2 with songs that they dance to? There don't appear to be any youtube/nico videos featuring such characters.

3. What is the general feeling/consensus among the Japanese Idolm@ster fanbase for why Iori isn't as popular as say, Makoto, in polls, despite her many superior attributes, such as having Queen TsundeRIE as her seiyuu?

4. Has Namco Bandai or the Japanese fan base given any hints as to whether they feel confident or doubtful about the future of non-handheld Idolm@ster games?

5. What was that joke about Idolm@ster + all DLC costing more than 50000 Yen? Something with "go" and a necklace or something? It escapes me.

6. Can Idolm@ster 2 be played on an XBOX 360 purchased in the USA? What about with a chip? And if not, approximately how much might importing a Japanese 360 along with the game cost? Would the 360 warranty be honored even in Regions differing from where it was purchsed?

7. Can Idolm@ster 2 DLC be purchased on a 360 running the game in other countries?

8. Is it possible or are there any hints that Idolm@ster 2 might be released on PC?

真に忝いです。

TweenDoriru

• Producer
  • inactive like crazy
    • View Profile
    • sometimes drawing stuff
Re: Idolm@ster 2 Sales - Is it really bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:31:24 am »
Hey, welcome to the forums. I'm not terribly knowledgeable, but I'll give it a shot.

1: I'm not sure about the sales / popularity...just that there were big price drops for a while after sales, I think.

2: Yes, 961Pro's "Jupiter" is a male trio. They're your rivals, and they only have 2 songs: "Alice or Guilty" and "Koi wo Hajimeyou". I've seen several youtube and nico videos featuring them, though XD

3: I can't give you a concrete answer, but...people like what they like, and that's it XD As much as I wish I could ask the world "why aren't Ami and Mami more popular than they are??", it's just that the Futami twins are not everyone's cup of tea, and the same goes with Iori, and Makoto, and everyone XD

4: Dunno

5: No clue

6: No. I don't know anything about hacking the system...as for finding the price...go shopping around XD The cheapest place I found to get an Xbox from (vs. other stores and Proxy services) was Play-Asia. They also sell the games.

I bought the games separate from the Xbox (I bought the original iM@S game years before I actually got the Xbox XD), but I know the Xbox plus shipping was something around...$350-ish?

No clue about the warranty (oh-so knowledgeable!), but I wouldn't figure the warranty would still apply in a different region...unless you sent it back to Japan to have it fixed? ???

7: Yes, but you need a Japanese XBL account and Japanese Microsoft Points.

edit: This is somewhat irrelevant information, -but- if you already have an established XBL account, and you want your iM@S gamerpoints (or whatever) to go on your non-Japanese account, you can still use the DLC through your non-Japanese account. You just have to download it on the Japanese account and use Japanese DLC points.

8: No hints that I've seen so far.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:07:12 am by TweenDoriru »

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:22:06 am »
1. Is it true that Idolm@ster has slid to below 50th in sales rankings? Please share a URL if possible (Japanese/Chinese/English is ok). If so, based on your personal knowledge, what may have caused this drop in popularity?

You are correct.

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

I will say that it has been two months since it's release, and not too many games that came out around the same time have made the list. I mean... sure Mario's still selling, but Im@s is admittedly a bit of a niche game. I think this is to be expected, but I'm not sure if the majority of the fanbase approves of the direction things are going in, which is what I'd guess is what would determine if a sequel is made or not. They're still buying stuff, though.

The original Im@s didn't sell that well comparatively, but over time I guess the fandom just got to the point where it was worthwhile to make new games. SP, I think, has blown the rest of the francise out of the water.

3. What is the general feeling/consensus among the Japanese Idolm@ster fanbase for why Iori isn't as popular as say, Makoto, in polls, despite her many superior attributes, such as having Queen TsundeRIE as her seiyuu?

Which polls are you referring to? By my experience, they can vary wildly depending on where you go.

8. Is it possible or are there any hints that Idolm@ster 2 might be released on PC?

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Personally, I don't think it will happen. Why port the game, and its DLC, when you could make an entirely new game, especially for something so niche?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:12:22 am by Cael K. »
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:13:40 pm »
1. The chart information and various conversations I've had suggest that there was a drop, although a lot of it can be attributed to the lack of the tail end - national disasters can do that.

If you're wondering there's been an estimate of about a loss of maybe 15-20% sale on sales period with live for you.

As you can guess though, I'm not going to release my sources. I like my inside contacts.

2. There were videos that showed up on nico for a couple of weeks - however the footage is fairly limited (I actually have about all but one of the known videos recorded in regards with video production) and consequently you don't see the creative side that much.

3. From what I know of it, basically, since Iori's VA is pretty much prevailant over multiple genres and formats, she's just better known in her Anime forms than she is with idolm@ster 2. You could argue there's also a bit of fatigue you'd get considering she's been around a long time.

4. I'd answer that question except I'd be disclosing things I shouldn't. We'll just say 'It's down, but factors are spread more across industry and outside industry'.

5. There's been a few expenditure jokes, but no, that figure is WAY too low.

Yes, low. If you're interested, here's the math. At full price, Live for you cost  ~55000 MS points.
3500 points is 7000 yen (assuming prepaid, you walked into a store and bought it as a local)

I can confirm this figure, because I pegged this figure at the Australian Tax Office as part of my business expenditures that year. They accepted it after seeing my books.

idolm@ster 1 was pegged to be at similar figures, although I never did SP to do the calculation.
DS requires a phone subscription at 3000 yen a month for its DLC, not sure how far that ran for though.
Can't comment on Mobile.

Let's put it this way, if you bought all the items im@s has put out over the course of its lifetime at new, you'd probably be a millionare, with change.

6. Go mod it, and even then, good luck. Otherwise, no, you're out of luck. Importing is like that. It's easier to mod an Xbox 360 for outright DLC theft than it is to reliably get multiregioning to work.

Just bear in mind I make it sound easy - It's not. This is due to recent archetecture changes in the X360. (In short, good fricking luck trying to get the stars align for this one.)

7. No, the only regions it will list are in Japan, general Asia (HK etc) and the Koreas. You supposedly CAN use the general Asia account to purchase the DLC on though and I've heard it'll take US credit cards. I've not investigated to confirm though, since I gain very little benefit from doing so. (Exchange gains get murdered by the fact that I live in Australiaand have to set up a US card in the US by proxy, and Australian cards definitely DO NOT work.)

There's very little stopping you signing up for an account to begin purchase - most of the issues are bound by payment (namely inablity to pay), not by acquisition.

8. There is one way you can play im@s 2 on PC - Break into Namco's offices and play on the production test server although about half the game's missing. In short, good luck (simply, no) trying to get THAT copy out.

There is no reason NBGI will move from a console from a business perspective. Basically, platform's more secure, and in L4U's case, I can confirm they booked a multimillion US gain over the lifetime of L4U.

From what I was told, total DLC sale average of last year was about 30% over every single copy. Grab the above figures, then do some expodential calculations with im@s L4U's sales figures. It's a nice tidy sum, isn't it?

Granted, L4U had unpreccidented applications for MAD work, which triggered an explosion of interest.

The real question is 'Why haven't Namco moved from the X360?'

That answer's more complicated, and it's to do heavily with the history of the game. Some of it is almost sensational though.

-----

Take the data how you will.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

BT2

• Producer
  • ξ*'ω')ξ にょわー☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:36:23 pm »
3500 points is 7000 yen (assuming prepaid, you walked into a store and bought it as a local)
Don't those cost like 4295JPY on amazon.co.jp or 4850'ish on play-asia?
Meh, I'ill stick to using EU cards on JP marketplace cause it beats using jp cards bought on play-asia by approx 4.5%.

DS requires a phone subscription at 3000 yen a month for its DLC, not sure how far that ran for though.
Can't comment on Mobile.
DS didn't have DLC, it used the QR-code feature to unlock items that were already obtainable ingame. 3 out of 13 codes were available on the mobilesite, 3 were available for free on certain gaming sites, 6 were in magazines and 1 in the official guidebook.

6. Would the 360 warranty be honored even in Regions differing from where it was purchsed?

Let's quote from a certain FAQ/guide about owning a JP 360 written by a certain person on a certain forum who also happens to be a member here.

Quote from: Elixir
- What if it dies?

It entirely depends on your location. For me in New Zealand, my Japanese 360 died and I had it repaired. It was sent to Australia where it was repaired and sent back to me. Some parts of the world will not allow you to have your console repaired. Sometimes they will replace consoles with working ones, so make sure that if yours dies, that they've made a note not to replace your unit with another, as it's most likely going to be a unit of your own region. Microsoft have announced that they will cover dead 360s even if they don't have the RRoD, and no additional charge is given. It can take anywhere up to a month to successfully get through the repair process (depending on distance, and work load)

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 04:53:20 pm »
Don't those cost like 4295JPY on amazon.co.jp or 4850'ish on play-asia?
Meh, I'ill stick to using EU cards on JP marketplace cause it beats using jp cards bought on play-asia by approx 4.5%.

DS didn't have DLC, it used the QR-code feature to unlock items that were already obtainable ingame. 3 out of 13 codes were available on the mobilesite, 3 were available for free on certain gaming sites, 6 were in magazines and 1 in the official guidebook.

Let's quote from a certain FAQ/guide about owning a JP 360 written by a certain person on a certain forum who also happens to be a member here.

I think I got the figure wrong, I'm mixing up my 5000 MS points (By CC) and the 3500.

I think the 3500's 5000 yen, and the 5000MS points is 7000 yen? I'd have to turn on my 360 to check though.

I do recall it's significantly expensive though. (Now I think about it, the number is wrong, although 55000 MS points clocked me in at approximently 1300 AU, but 20% of the costs were middleman. Do a conversion, I guess.), but I do recall the MS to yen ratio is more than 1:1)

I remember a couple of years ago someone making a website which counted every im@s item ever and it'd add up your expenditure (in yen) of the costs. I was bored and added everything in. The final figure was frightfully expensive.

You guys CAN use EU cards for the JP marketplace? Damn, lucky, because even though we're broadly considered EU (Well, the traditional PAL setting) Australia is strictly out of bounds for MS point card use (or at least was when I tried it for fun last year.)

All the items were naturally unlockable? I thought there were a few that were QR only though. I've never had any luck getting any of the QR codes on my copy (Yeah, I have a JP DSi) to ever check, although I really should finish it.

As for the whole 'Will MS fix a foreign region 360?' I've currently got a case where they WILL... except with one catch. They will only replace it with one region coded where they're in (Australia), otherwise, no repair, unless you send it back to HK (Where it was purchased). It's currently working its way through the NSW Ombudsman right now, so we'll have to see if MS will give in or not.

Perhaps a change of policy, or maybe it's just a straight 'bad tech support guy?' Not really sure.

In short, your mileage may vary, and that's really the point.

(And I must have misread the which was regards to if it was possible to make a foreign Xbox being able to play im@s 2.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:56:18 pm by Setsuna »

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:52:46 am »
Extremely interesting data you got there, but I'm interested in some clarifications if you can spare them.

If you're wondering there's been an estimate of about a loss of maybe 15-20% sale on sales period with live for you.

You saying that, week-for-week compared with L4U, that it rakes in 20% less in... total profits (DLC included)? Units sold? Sorry, not getting something here.

4. I'd answer that question except I'd be disclosing things I shouldn't. We'll just say 'It's down, but factors are spread more across industry and outside industry'.

... Don't ask about this one, then... I'm gonna take this as NBGI's done what they can to get people interested, and now it's really up to the public, fanbase, and other industry need-to-work-with-yous to get interested in a sequel. Sorry, not an insider, the best I can do is speculate like this.

... Exactly the point when I think about it. ^_^;

5. There's been a few expenditure jokes, but no, that figure is WAY too low.

Come to think of it, 50000 JPY was around 400 USD when everything rocked. 600 now, though, not rock-worthy by a long shot.

From what I was told, total DLC sale average of last year was about 30% over every single copy. Grab the above figures, then do some expodential calculations with im@s L4U's sales figures. It's a nice tidy sum, isn't it?

That answer's more complicated, and it's to do heavily with the history of the game. Some of it is almost sensational though.

From the first paragraph, I assume you mean that people would buy the game, then buy enough DLC to pay for the game again plus 30% extra? Again, I don't get some of these terms.

Second one, though... if it's possible, some insights would be nice to know. All I got is that the original Im@s machines were on System 246 boards, which are closer to PS2 tech than anything else as far as my understanding goes. But then, I suppose that's kinda moot, seeing as the Xbox360 and the PS3 were the only next-gen consoles at the time. One's easier than the other, I guess, and exclusivity contracts do come with benefits... but as I've said, I don't have a lot to go on.

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 04:21:49 am »
Extremely interesting data you got there, but I'm interested in some clarifications if you can spare them.

You saying that, week-for-week compared with L4U, that it rakes in 20% less in... total profits (DLC included)? Units sold? Sorry, not getting something here.

... Don't ask about this one, then... I'm gonna take this as NBGI's done what they can to get people interested, and now it's really up to the public, fanbase, and other industry need-to-work-with-yous to get interested in a sequel. Sorry, not an insider, the best I can do is speculate like this.

... Exactly the point when I think about it. ^_^;

Come to think of it, 50000 JPY was around 400 USD when everything rocked. 600 now, though, not rock-worthy by a long shot.

From the first paragraph, I assume you mean that people would buy the game, then buy enough DLC to pay for the game again plus 30% extra? Again, I don't get some of these terms.

Second one, though... if it's possible, some insights would be nice to know. All I got is that the original Im@s machines were on System 246 boards, which are closer to PS2 tech than anything else as far as my understanding goes. But then, I suppose that's kinda moot, seeing as the Xbox360 and the PS3 were the only next-gen consoles at the time. One's easier than the other, I guess, and exclusivity contracts do come with benefits... but as I've said, I don't have a lot to go on.

For the comparison, we're talking like copy sales.  Units sold.

As for the factors that have governed sales, they're not really related to idolm@ster, or even gaming particularly. I speak with a lot of people, and a fair number of them wouldn't even know beyond vague terms what a game actually is.

Basically, it's tough times for a lot of people.

Well, the figure I got was an internal figure, and that DLC sales figure was 30% of the total value of the DLC for Live for you. Which is more (By a margin) than the game itself. Game sales weren't the core of L4U's profits.

Concerning idolm@ster as a whole, there was a bit of an odd bidding war. It amounted to (oddly enough) some rather strange positions taken by Microsoft and Sony during the bid process. (There WAS a bid process, because as you noted correctly, the easiest upgrade path from Arcade was through the PS2 archetecture.)

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 06:02:43 am »
Basically, it's tough times for a lot of people.

Well, besides the quake... was it really that bad before then? I mean, the Im@s price drop happened first if I'm not mistaken. Then again, I'm not that well versed on the state of the games industry in Japan, but from what I understood, it's always needed a bit of a boost...

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 06:09:59 am »
Well, besides the quake... was it really that bad before then? I mean, the Im@s price drop happened first if I'm not mistaken. Then again, I'm not that well versed on the state of the games industry in Japan, but from what I understood, it's always needed a bit of a boost...

It's not to do with im@s as a franchise. Try 'The entire entertainment industry, which computer gaming makes a fraction of, and idolm@ster sits as very small fraction of that'. That's the sort of scope we're taking here.

The best way to put it is this - If forced between buying entertainment or your dinner for the next three days, most people will pick their dinner. Entertainment is a purely discretionary expense. Entertainment might keep you sane, but starving kills you faster.

It's less to do with gaming and more to do with financials, money and all sorts of other stuff. It's complex on a good day, and really bad when you start digging into it. This state has been going on for quite a while (there's a good chance it's been going on longer than you've been alive.) and basically, all that's happened is that the tipping point has just been pushed back.

It also holds a few good lessons on what not to do when it comes to budgetting, but it's not like anyone learns.

Sev

• Producer
  • Making a better tommorow tommorow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 08:08:51 am »
I've noticed that since anime crosses boarders quicker than a Navy Seal team loses aren't going to be as bad as they would be for games that tend to be cooped up and excluded to Japan. If you guys have noticed western releases are moving much faster then they have been in the past and distribution contracts with companies like funnimation are being made before shows even air in Japan these days. While the anime industry is evolving to accommodate a more global audience I'd say Japanese gaming on the other hand isn't which could also be something contributing to imas sales. But i guess its semi justified. The companies don't think that  the profits would outweigh the cost of localizing or distributing internationally. If There was a way to promise these companies a guaranteed number of sales for specific titles I'm sure they'd be more willing to invest a global audience.

For example if you could guarantee 1 million sales of iDOLM@STER world wide I'm sure they'd be willing to sub or localize the game. But thats a different topic.

Like a bird in the sky I believe i can fly

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 09:05:00 am »
It's less to do with gaming and more to do with financials, money and all sorts of other stuff. It's complex on a good day, and really bad when you start digging into it. This state has been going on for quite a while (there's a good chance it's been going on longer than you've been alive.) and basically, all that's happened is that the tipping point has just been pushed back.

Ah... okay then. I think.

Heh... actually, if I were to ask one last thing, are there any proper terms for this, especially as it applies to Japan, if that's the focus of this phenomena? I'll look it up on my own time. Though I get the feeling that it may have something to do with that incident in the 1980's and its aftereffects, if I'm getting you right.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 09:21:09 am »
Ah... okay then. I think.

Heh... actually, if I were to ask one last thing, are there any proper terms for this, especially as it applies to Japan, if that's the focus of this phenomena? I'll look it up on my own time. Though I get the feeling that it may have something to do with that incident in the 1980's and its aftereffects, if I'm getting you right.

Well, you might have heard about the lost generation being referred to in Japan.
Basically, there was a REIT issue, well, basically something similar to what was seen in the US in 2007-08. Essentially incredibly overpriced houses.

From there, it collapsed, and the reserve in Japan has instituted a near zero percent borrowing rate and has maintained it ever since. This allowed the banks to essentially paper over the huge losses made. It also serves as the source of the Japanese carry trade, where you'd borrow money there, and invest it in other places (Australia is a good target, since the offical rate here is at about 5% right now) and booking the mostly risk free profit.

Unfortunately, it didn't really work, and to make matters worse, Japan's government borrows huge amounts of money to cover their operating costs. Also having that much extra money floating around causes inflation issues, and a LOT of other stuff.

It leaves them in one heck of a bind, because increasing the interest rate could literally detonate the Japanese government outright. There's been a lot of use of Japanese savings, due to bond purchases and the like but it looks like someone's going to have to recognise the losses sometime.

There's more to it than that (And I'm not going to attempt to summarise everything that happened over the last 20 years in a forum post), and I'm just sort of remembering things off the top of my head. There's a LOT of economic theory and skullduggery in this, but it amounts to 'Huge drag on the economy as a whole'.

I've noticed that since anime crosses boarders quicker than a Navy Seal team loses aren't going to be as bad as they would be for games that tend to be cooped up and excluded to Japan. If you guys have noticed western releases are moving much faster then they have been in the past and distribution contracts with companies like funnimation are being made before shows even air in Japan these days. While the anime industry is evolving to accommodate a more global audience I'd say Japanese gaming on the other hand isn't which could also be something contributing to imas sales. But i guess its semi justified. The companies don't think that  the profits would outweigh the cost of localizing or distributing internationally. If There was a way to promise these companies a guaranteed number of sales for specific titles I'm sure they'd be more willing to invest a global audience.

For example if you could guarantee 1 million sales of iDOLM@STER world wide I'm sure they'd be willing to sub or localize the game. But thats a different topic.

There's an easy way to fix that.

Just make a million people commit to buying the game. With a fully binding service contract, with a default measure which insures the company get their money if say the people change their mind.  I dunno, all collection costs and a 2x multiplier for skipping out?

If a company worth their salt gets say 40000 of them which gurantee a sale of say 60 US per game, they can then do the math and evaluate the costs of localisation and licencing and the whole nine yards, and determine if the rate of return is worth their time and money.

No one'd dare of course - but if that many people rocked up with contracts saying 'We will pay, under the threat of law' it'd make quite a statement.

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 06:10:15 am »
Heh... alrighty then. Thanks for the insights! ^^

kasmichan

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 04:20:43 pm »

1) that has been in gamefaqs' boards for months now..we should already know that eversince we started playing a console all games will fall when new ones appear..also the fact that there are tons of releases comming out all over the globe..it will greatly affect a game's sales chart..

2) there is..and youtube and nico don't have it? I remember I first got Jupiter's vid on youtube..they are there in the game but aren't playable..

3) well that means people like different things..right?^^

4) some people will say yes and some no but most will keep silent and wait..well nobody really knows the answer to that..

5,6 and 7: I'll skip to those since I don't buy any DLC aside from the free ones and my console is a modded one..

8) there's already a PD for the pc..but I don't know..there's no impossible in this world..oh and Idolm@ster was built using a computer just like any other console game...

well...so much for getting worked up with rumors..let's just relax and enjoy the game..that's what they're made for..whatever happens, it'll always just be up and down..