Username: Password:

Author Topic: Standardising im@s 2 (and eventually L4U's and possibly SP) requests.  (Read 2183 times)

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
This'll be a long term project, and I've said that I'd do it for a while... Well, I better put up.

For most part, I'm either thinking of a program that will automaticallly script out im@s requests that can be sent as an attachment, or a database (with a web front end) which will also do analysis and matching services.

Admittedly, I'm tired of the guessing games (Not anyone's fault, but it's one of my quirks because I deal with requests at a level where they're specific down to the nth degree +1 and I get slightly annoyed when I guess wrong) so I figured I might as well start.

I can only write code in C# (making me bound to the .net platform and consequently Windows) and write SQL in MS SQL (although if anyone here is experience with other SQL services such as mySQL and the like, I could code to those databases if they knew the sorts of commands that can be fed and could write me up the search requirements for me to implement server side.)

Hosting will have to be provided by someone else, and it would have to be properly paid hosting due to the implementation requirements. (Namely, database installation, and .net framework deploy.)

To make it clear, until someone fills the ability to deploy a database, the first option WILL be the one worked on, and consequently any database required options (Basically nearly everything outside the core) will not be looked at due to technical deployment considerations.

I'll also warn that I'm not particularly good at it either, but no one else is going to do it, so...

So why am I putting this post up?

A few things:

1 - Outlining requirements (Namely, what has to be implemented and the like, in order of pirority)
2 - Help required
3 - Timelines and other notes.

1: Requirements

Core:

1.1 Has to provide a basic functional (emphhasis on basic, and functional) graphical interface to select and set up a request:

- Providing information on every song, character, costume, and stage, as well as provide a limited preview of setups (still image)

Not a total preview, simply because if we did, we'd have to take EVERY picture of every possible combination, and you'd have to pay people to seriously do that. If you're wondering about the math, you're looking at somewhere in the vicinity of (I'm guessing the numbers since I'm not done unlocking) (24*4 costumes) * (32 head) * (32 body) * (32 arm) * (32 leg) * (13 characters)

In short, that's a hell lot of combinations to take screenshots for, somewhere in the vicinity of a billion seperate combinations, give or take a bit. If you want to know exactly what it'd look like, go buy the game, console and recording equipment instead, it'd be faster, cheaper and more reliable than paying someone a dollar a day to do the shooting, even if you assumed that the 360 would take 4 weeks to ship, the game an extra 2, and it took you six months to save up for the kit :P

- Enforce rules set upon by the game engine (Currently this is 'Quintets are limited to certain songs, and certain stages', and only 1 dress, one head, one body, one arm and one leg accessory)

1.2 Has to be able to read a request and provide a readout to someone picking up the request:

- It must be clear exactly what item is being selected, highlighting the exact selection when examined.

Desirable:

Additional 1.1:

- Provide song lyrics and provide timings, and allow to indicate when certain actions (Burst, accident or appeal) are activated.

- Enforce appeal, accident and burst rules (Namely, times when appeals, accidents or a burst cannot be launched, and disallow bursts, accidents or appeals within 2 seconds (I think) of one being executed)

New 1.1

- Allow for additional special notes, such as encoding, upload requirements, or items not implemented yet.

- Carry a centralised database of pending requests, as well as notification of filled ones.

New 1.2

- Provide a way to 'match' a request after a request filler loads up a request file into the system to determine if they can fill a certain request.

- Flag requests as filled, with a link (of whatever sort you like really) to the completed request.

Optional:

Additional 1.1

- Allow for camera angles to be specified - Which camera angle (far, mid, near, auto) as well as which character (and for mid and near, to specify which angle the camera is looking at said character) the camera should be focused on.

- Indicate starting positions of the idols on stage.

- Indicate in timing for each stage when stage effects are fired off (Concert screen change, fireworks, confetti and anything else I might have forgotten)

- Indicate what sort of accident or appeal is required (Single, duo, trio, quintet, as well as which type (There are several variations for vocal, dance and visual) and add timings for it)

- Full preview of items (Just adding it here because of completionist requirements. Good fricking luck getting this optional done, cause I'm not going to do it unless someone literally mailed me (and I mean postal mail, cause you're only talking terrabytes of data and I live in Australia, land of download rationing) all the screenshots catergorised correctly for implementation)

New 1.1

- Be able to identify how many people (if any) can (or have indicated they want to) fill a certain request that have registered to the system. It might make people think twice about requesting certain items or certain request lines if they realise people don't HAVE it yet, or if they don't want to fill said request.

This is a free service after all, at least until you start paying people by the hour to do the task (which is not illegal or even legally grey in itself because you're paying them to do the task, not the product. Paying for the task is legally clear, the product not so much.)

- Implement system for im@s L4U (I have my bible and can deploy it, surprisingly) and possiblly for im@s SP. (I don't know if we'd bother with DS or im@s 1 Xbox 360 or im@s Arcade. Anyone actually OWN an arcade machine anywhere, let alone record off it?)

- Allow for request removal. Sometimes people won't touch them, that's life.

- Indicate if a request is identical, and if so, provide a link to the exact request, filled. Killing double up. If you want a 'different' auto take, you probably have SOME idea what camera angles you didn't like, so you can make our lives easier and actually just tell us what anglles would be better.

New 1.2

- Allow a listing of available requests that can be fulfillled, making it easier to pick requests that the filler can actually do.

- Flag requests as in process - this should prevent doubling up.

2 -  Help required.

If you're programming inclined and can code in a .net language, we can split the work up, making it easier. I know it's cheating, but hey, it's not like anyone's PAYING us to do it yet. :P

If you're tolerant enough, you could teach me to program in something else (But for the record, I will REFUSE to do much Javascript work apart from AJAX. I draw the line there and will torch anyone who suggests javascript.) so I can work with you.

If we move to a web based design, if you can generate HTML templates, it'd be a good idea, simply cause I suck at making things pretty.

If you HAVE a copy of im@s 2 or SP and can't code there's a few things you can do to help:

- Screen shots! Lots of them! I don't have every item unlocked, and consequently, will be missing pictures to place for items. I can do them eventually, but if you can indicate where and the item, it'd speed things up.

- Translations as well as transcription. Sure, I could use the wiki to a point, but a bit of help would be nice. This is for everything (Stages as well as song lyrics and costumes), even the stuff that doesn't apparently matter. It DOES matter, you'd be surprised just how useful it is to know when exactly to launch an appeal.

3. Timelines

Until you start paying people for it, anyone who asks when features will be done will be directed to the next line, with NO EXCEPTIONS:

- A feature will be implemented when time permits by the person or people doing the work and has been tested to their satisfaction. No sooner, no later. We have lives, and this one's a freebie.

If you start paying proper wages (I'd say 20 an hour isn't a bad place to start) THEN we can start talking about deliverables on a set timeline, because then we'd start talking contracts. If proper payment is delivered, deliverables will be placed on a timeline, estimated accordingly and consequently can be nagged for.

------

Now, did I miss anything to add to the list, or overlook anything?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:47:18 am by Setsuna »
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

JohnNiles

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Re: Standardising im@s 2 (and eventually L4U's and possibly SP) requests.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »
Sounds ambitious.

So, if you're committing to C#/.NET, each user will need to install the .NET Framework, right?  It might not be much of a step, but it could reduce your user base somewhat.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »
Sounds ambitious.

So, if you're committing to C#/.NET, each user will need to install the .NET Framework, right?  It might not be much of a step, but it could reduce your user base somewhat.

Unfortunately, yes, there's not much I can do about that one - Unless you stick to a web based format. Of course that requires a server, a database of choice and other people - I outlined the requirements for that optional. We could code it a million different ways (in terms of logic), but I only know one.

I figured out how much I can do using what can write right now - It's one of those 'Well, I'm not going to get any better unless I actually practice' things.

For most part, what sort of support (if any) will determine if I intend to start. I could stick with the system I have made for im@s Live for you, but that requires people pick up the bible I have and understand how it reads (it also weighs in at about 480MB and it's essentially a huge listing of jpgs, and no I'm not kidding.)

It works well enough (I mean it's literally something you page through and then generate the code with the instructions, but it's still a manual system)

I will most likely (if there isn't sufficent interest) develop a catalogue for my own purposes and release it to MAD creators as necessary. It does mean the current situation we have at requests won't change (there's a degree of guessing involved) but well...

It depends if there's a) any support and b) any lasting interest.

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

JohnNiles

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:18:23 pm »
Ah, I see.  Sorry for the obvious question.  The thread caught my eye because it's similar to something I've been asked to do at work (by people who aren't my coworkers)- add web capabilities to my desktop tools.  But I'm dealing with a tiny userbase of non-technical people and lazy, indifferent IT staff stonewalling me on hosting, so it ain't gonna done.  I'm also not a server or web guy.  Lack of understanding on how to handle security is baffling me.

Is the server for this website a candidate server?  If it's hosting the wiki, it should be capable.

I guess if I were in your shoes and I couldn't count on distributing an application, I would give ASP.NET a shot (though I say that having only looked at tutorials years ago, and I'm sure it's been superceded by something better).

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 11:14:12 am »
Ah, I see.  Sorry for the obvious question.  The thread caught my eye because it's similar to something I've been asked to do at work (by people who aren't my coworkers)- add web capabilities to my desktop tools.  But I'm dealing with a tiny userbase of non-technical people and lazy, indifferent IT staff stonewalling me on hosting, so it ain't gonna done.  I'm also not a server or web guy.  Lack of understanding on how to handle security is baffling me.

Is the server for this website a candidate server?  If it's hosting the wiki, it should be capable.

I guess if I were in your shoes and I couldn't count on distributing an application, I would give ASP.NET a shot (though I say that having only looked at tutorials years ago, and I'm sure it's been superceded by something better).

Sorry, been sick, in an accident, or just in an accident and sick, but just considering it.

For most part, I was considering my options, and just outlining the paths. I know the general rules, (even as a novice) and I'm just mostly 'Well, no one ELSE is ever going to do it so...'

ASP.net would be better (And no, .NET 4 still uses ASP.net, although functionality's improved a fair bit since its first few iterations), except of course, I don't have a server to stick it onto.

It's more of a 'Well, should I bother?' question considering that I'm eventually going to have to build something for my uses - (MAD creators are really picky people, for good reason.)

I can always fall back to the easier 'Make a HTML based bible' option and just literally have a page of instructions to feed back the requisite codes, if there's no interest - no userbase means it's easier to deploy a small scale solution.

In theory the server might be capable, but I really don't know what the server is (I'm not staff, I'm just a freelancer, and still learning.)  so I'm not factoring it in.

I'm expecting apathy to rule the day though, but hey that's pretty standard too...