Username: Password:

Author Topic: THE iDOLM@STER 2 Gameplay Thread  (Read 153456 times)

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: THE iDOLM@STER 2 Gameplay Thread
« Reply #585 on: May 22, 2012, 08:43:59 am »
Wow! Thank you very much everyone!  Sorry for asking, but the guide does not answer my questions.

1.  The guide does not explain how to do a memory bomb.  How do you do a memory bomb?

2.  In this link, http://imas2.wota.info/idol-specific-communication/kisaragi-chihaya , Towards the bottom of the where it says Normal Work, the Japanese text is highlighted in blue and next to it it says "Bad".  What does it mean by "Bad"

3.  I'm stuck in Week 4 because there are so many things to do like lives, festivals, promotions, shop.  Where do I begin?

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 22, 2012, 04:47:17 pm »
2.  In this link, http://imas2.wota.info/idol-specific-communication/kisaragi-chihaya , Towards the bottom of the where it says Normal Work, the Japanese text is highlighted in blue and next to it it says "Bad".  What does it mean by "Bad"

3.  I'm stuck in Week 4 because there are so many things to do like lives, festivals, promotions, shop.  Where do I begin?

I have a follow-up question to 2: What does it mean when it's red? I never really figured out the color coding.

3. Up to you. It's always a good idea to build fans and money, so normal promotions and performances (but not national auditions, save those for release week for your song (week 6)) are a good way to go. Try to pair promotions with lessons so you can maximize your efforts. When you pick a new song, the best thing to do is usually promotion (paid on later runs when you have the money) + lesson for the first three weeks and then a national audition aiming for the highest score you can manage on the fourth week (which will be week six in this case). Once you hit level 16 in stats (the highest level), you can just start doing festivals or something instead of promotions/lessons.

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 22, 2012, 07:30:52 pm »
Thank you very much. 

Yeah, Question #2 still puzzles me, as the guide never explains what those colored text mean.

In addition:

4.  I looked through this topic and guide, and those do not specify the requirements or conditions to get to the Top 50 or Top 20.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 22, 2012, 08:01:52 pm »
Thank you very much. 

Yeah, Question #2 still puzzles me, as the guide never explains what those colored text mean.

In addition:

4.  I looked through this topic and guide, and those do not specify the requirements or conditions to get to the Top 50 or Top 20.

We'll go backwards.

The reason why they generally don't specify the conditions for a top 50 or a top 20 is because it's literally dependant on the charts. The Tokyo Pop top 100 will tell you how many single sales you need to make a rank.

As the game goes on, the competition heats up, meaning although your team will perform better, so will the competition.

Wow! Thank you very much everyone!  Sorry for asking, but the guide does not answer my questions.

1.  The guide does not explain how to do a memory bomb.  How do you do a memory bomb?

1. A memory bomb I think refers to a specific strategy applied (mostly) in festivals.

It goes like this:

Voltage build until 66% to 75% (Depends if you have a charm that boosts memory appeals)
Memory Appeal. This should get you into the ability to burst the moment the appeal's scoring finishes.
The first chance you get, convert your burst.

The first note you get after the burst, Memory appeal again, making sure you change the appealing character from the first appeal.
What will happen is the game will give you a duo appeal (instead of a standard.) You can further capitalise this by appealing with the third unused person, creating a trio appeal chain.

This is commonly used in festivals, since with two appeals in short succession, (Assuming you went first) you'll shut out the opposition from scoring for a good 20-30 seconds.

2. In regard with specific communications, you can in fact go backwards (Not in the memory appeal count though). Bad is when you go out of your way to upset them. Granted, the results can be funny (or disturbing) but they impose a morale penalty on the idol (And I suspect the group) if you execute it.

3. For places to begin (I assume you're playing on normal) you'll probably want to pick a location, and focus on getting fans happy (namely, from blue face to red) while building up the levels of the team you selected. Ideally that means a fair number of weeks with 'lessons + promotions', and perform as necessary.

Don't spread yourself too thin (Japan's a big place) and get an area of core fans. To sell singles (which is what affects your goal) you need fans, and just as importantly, you need them to be motivated fans so they'll buy your stuff, so you need to carry out activities to raise your profile.

Once you get a handle on the game, you'll find your own pattern that works. It's unlikely your first game will net you a good ending. It's actually more likely than not that you'd get the bad ending, but that's expected.

In Hyper mode, I personally perform about once every 6 weeks (You MUST perform a song (basically post a score) before the single hits the shelves, as the highest score you make is part of the sales formula), until the group has 5 memory appeals and is level 16 then proceed to conquer Japan, but that's because I drop somewhere between a quarter and half a million in paid promotions around the clock, and can get perfect + bonus on all the lessons without looking.

Before you ask, the only advantage with the super lessons is the fact you get an extra 15 seconds, meaning it's more likely you'll perform better (but it costs you two units of time, instead of one), but if you can get the minigames down pat, you can get maximum benefits out of a normal lesson (saving you 900 yen, and a time unit)
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 22, 2012, 09:10:50 pm »
Thanks for your help Setsuna!  As for the Super Lesson, in this post by KIRBYSIM, http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1136.msg23265.html#msg23265, it seems you get a bigger benefit if you do a super lesson.  Not sure if it is because the lesson lasts longer, so there is more time to get a perfect.

Also, You said that the Tokyo Pop Top 100 will tell you how many single sales you need to make a rank, but do you know where I can find this chart in the game?

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 23, 2012, 07:43:40 am »
Thanks for your help Setsuna!  As for the Super Lesson, in this post by KIRBYSIM, http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1136.msg23265.html#msg23265, it seems you get a bigger benefit if you do a super lesson.  Not sure if it is because the lesson lasts longer, so there is more time to get a perfect.

Also, You said that the Tokyo Pop Top 100 will tell you how many single sales you need to make a rank, but do you know where I can find this chart in the game?

The chart will appear once you post your first song to the charts. That's week 7 or 8 off the top of my head.

From there you'll get a week by week breakdown (barring any week where the idols take a week off (either by you instructing them, or by them deciding to on their own) of what the charts look like.

The main reason I don't advise on relying on super lessons is that getting time to communicate WHILE boosting up their stats is always a good idea. This in particular is particularly potent when you used paid promotions. (For an idea, a paid promotion usually lands you between 2x and 3x the number of fans compared to a regular one, and after you exhaust the scenarios, they're instant perfects but put on repeat.)

On hyper this is really useful (arguably crucial) as you'll get 20000 fans or so per communication, compared to about 8000, and it'll do a mood adjustment for that region to max.

As well, it's entirely possible to max out the memory appeals (at 5) and max out their idol level at 16 at about the same time with a single + promotion chain, meaning if you're good enough, there's actually little point, even if there was a benefit, which I haven't seen since it's uncommon for me to run a game where I don't perfect chain everything.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 23, 2012, 04:24:03 pm »
I can't remember if I asked this before, but I still don't know, so I guess I didn't.

When do sales effects show up on the charts? I know Super Break has to be done before the song releases, so it shows up on release week. What about Keeps, Breaks, and Revivals? Do they show up on the week of the event (Live/Fes/whatever) that triggers them? Or do they show up the week after?

I've decided it's not worth killing myself for a perfect score on Megare just to get the points I need for Top 20 on my second song. I'll just take a slightly lower score which is more than doable and aim for a Keep. I won't miss a single week of Paid Promotion/Lesson.

EDIT: This page seems to indicate that it's the same week as the activity. Anyone want to confirm/deny?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:00:05 pm by Daverost »

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 24, 2012, 03:03:41 am »
Well hell, nevermind. I complain enough and I guess I'll get it. I still botched it by missing a step (someone was talking to me while I was trying to play and of course you can't pause), but I still got about 47.5k score, which according to the S.Rank/Hyper guide is enough to hit Top 20 without a Keep. So uhh... yay.

But if anyone knows the answer to that question, that would be awesome.

Funkies

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 24, 2012, 05:03:52 am »
When do sales effects show up on the charts? I know Super Break has to be done before the song releases, so it shows up on release week. What about Keeps, Breaks, and Revivals? Do they show up on the week of the event (Live/Fes/whatever) that triggers them? Or do they show up the week after?

Same week indeed.  They have their own icons, so they're difficult to miss as well.  I think Super Breaks can be performed on the week of release, though I've yet to bother to attempt one yet.

...(someone was talking to me while I was trying to play and of course you can't pause)...

Oh yar, that's how it goes.  Awesome performance?  Interruptions are ready to pounce.

TheTanStar

• View Profile
    • Twitch.tv Livestream
« Reply #594 on: May 24, 2012, 05:45:59 am »
Just for reference, this is what a Super Break looks like on Dotop TV:

Also, if something interrupts you while an audition/live/festival is playing and you mess up, remember: The game only saves at the end of each week.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #595 on: May 24, 2012, 05:59:01 am »
Thanks for the super break reference image.

*still doesn't understand gameplay*

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 24, 2012, 06:31:07 am »
Same week indeed.  They have their own icons, so they're difficult to miss as well.  I think Super Breaks can be performed on the week of release, though I've yet to bother to attempt one yet.

Thanks. I've only ever gotten a Keep and a Break one time. The Keep was after two lives in a row (after several failed attempts to get it on a single week, so I wasn't sure anymore) and the Break was after multiple festivals in a row. Never gotten a Revival, but never tried for one.

As for Super Breaks... yeah, they could I guess. I always do a National Audition on release week, so I guess I've never thought to check. Besides, I do three for the fifth release anyway, so it's impossible for me to know which one even gave it to begin with.

Also, if something interrupts you while an audition/live/festival is playing and you mess up, remember: The game only saves at the end of each week.

Sometimes I just quit playing and let it fail so I can retry without all of that reloading mess. Unfortunately, sometimes you hit the score requirement prior to botching the whole thing...

Funkies

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 24, 2012, 09:23:07 am »
Hyper seems especially torturous towards affecting sales state changes.  I had little problem getting any of the changes to go off in Normal, even without using item sets.  I guess it's not all that unexpected despite the tediousness.  I know Lucky Stars factor into the equation somehow.  However one run with 8 did nothing, while another with only 4 did the trick.  I know it wasn't helping by using Me ga Au Toki... but I thought with Chihaya being the leader it wouldn't be as much of a problem.  The stars are named appropriately at the very least.

It is worth seeing a Super Break though, if even once.  Watching it release at such an impressive spot is amusing.  Toss a Keep on there the following week and it will destroy anything else on the charts.  RK probably wouldn't be able to dent it in Hyper.

Some games have "Retry" buttons even if you succeed at whatever the objective is.  I'd be up for one of those.  I miss final-beat Burst Appeals on occasion, and lacking thousands of points stinks at any point during the game.

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 24, 2012, 10:01:24 am »
I think Super Breaks can be performed on the week of release, though I've yet to bother to attempt one yet.

Yes, you can get a super break in the week of the release. In my 2 hyper playthroughs i "forced" a super break on my last song by repeating a quintet live over and over until i got the super break icon in the charts.
Btw: i assume you can only get a super break if the guests show up, so it's best to pick guests you have a high affinity with. I assume this because i once got a keep after performing a quintet live where the guests didn't show up which makes it look like a quintet live without the guests counts as a normal live.

@TheTanStar: Can i use that picture an put it in here? I think it would help a lot of people.

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 24, 2012, 03:08:24 pm »
According to the strategy site, a quintet live where the guests don't show up gives a Keep, so yes, it counts as a normal Live.

I actually haven't forced any state changes in Hyper yet. I haven't needed to. I almost did on that second song. The trouble I had with Keep was actually in Normal. I couldn't get a Super Break in my first run, either, so I just kinda let that one go.

Honestly, Hyper's been a lot more forgiving so far.