Username: Password:

Author Topic: A fan project I've been coming up for a while......  (Read 5449 times)

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
Re: A fan project I've been coming up for a while......
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 01:24:43 am »
It helps. What I hoped to use was similar to this. Do you know of a game that uses this skill-acquisition system? I can try and look around to see if anyone has made this.

To my knowledge, not in the way I've described it. I get the feeling I've seen something close, though...

... oh wait, I just thought of FFTA, which comes closest, I think (but it's still a bit different, quite a bit so in my opinion). Maybe I subconsciously borrowed a page from that game (I like to think it was me expanding on the templates made by the company, though ^^;). You actively have to switch classes in that game, though, and abilities come from items (not a bad thing, just different). Also, I don't like the way stats work in the game - it's an example of a system being too hard to switch directions or make corrections in my opinion. The problem is stat bumps on level up, and no stat multipliers for your class like in FFT (which is one way to fix it, there are others).

If you mean a general, points-based RPG, though, a number of table top games out there are points-based, some better balanced than others.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:39:10 am by Cael K. »
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

RoninatorMarx

• Producer
  • Break Time---!!
    • View Profile
    • Marx's Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 05:19:49 pm »
I see. Well, I guess I don't have to tackle on that any further, for now. Let's move on.

Anyway, here's a few topics to kick off the discussion once again:

• The game's fights would be like common RPGs- you walk around, find enemies to beat and get items and EXP from. Anyway, what way of engaging into battles do you guys feel best? Random (If you're in a monster area, enemies will pop out of anywhere and you'll be taken right away to the battle sequence)? Random, but on controlled areas like tall grasses (a la Pokemon)? Or on-screen (You see the enemy mob (indicated by a single unit), and you can chose to run away from it or face it)?
  • 876 idols. Allowed to be recruited into your party like the other idols? Keep as NPCs? Or not at all?
  • Jupiter. Put them in so you can transfer your aggression to them on the game, or not?
  • Option to select Producer's gender. Yes or no?
  • Idols's theme music. Use existing music or make a remix? Or make an original theme?
  • Game Title. Any names to be pit off "Producer of Fate"?

Discussion, START!

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 10:52:10 pm »
Put your guns on, Marx.

Most of those are up to how much you want to put up with.

Battles: I'm partial to Chrono Trigger style fights, but classic Dragon Quest style is just as good. You might want to think about damage formulas, too.
876: 876 is dependent on how much more effort you want to put in. How complex is the script? Are you going to be gutsy and change the script based on the characters you have? If so... this will exponentially increase the amount of script to make. I'd say gauge your decision based on how you want dialog to pan out.
961: As enemies... there'll be no further complexities I don't think. Putting them in is just as much effort as leaving them out.
Producer: Will there be conceptual gameplay changes? How about script changes? Again, you can decide on one for now, then add in stuff if you feel you want to change it. Programmatically (if you indeed think there will be script changes), you can stub in a conditional and just set said variable when the game starts. When you feel the need for a select option, you can make it then (and remove aforementioned hardcode). If you find it unfeasible, just leave it.
Music: This decision can be saved for later, if you can't decide. It's really a matter of overwriting a file.
Title: Start writing. A title will come naturally once you find the theme of the game, I think.

Speaking of script, you might want to decide how you're popping people into the party. Choose at the beginning, then they'll join you through the game, or all at once at the beginning? Advance through the game, meet them do their quest, then decide then?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:55:18 pm by Cael K. »

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Clear Blue

• Producer
  • Omigosh!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 01:52:35 am »
  • The game's fights would be like common RPGs- you walk around, find enemies to beat and get items and EXP from. Anyway, what way of engaging into battles do you guys feel best? Random (If you're in a monster area, enemies will pop out of anywhere and you'll be taken right away to the battle sequence)? Random, but on controlled areas like tall grasses (a la Pokemon)? Or on-screen (You see the enemy mob (indicated by a single unit), and you can chose to run away from it or face it)?
I'm acceptable with the on screen and the random, but on controlled areas. (Can the game have different difficulty levels?)

• 876 idols. Allowed to be recruited into your party like the other idols? Keep as NPCs? Or not at all?
They can join as our allies. (I just thought of something, what if they got kidnapped by Jupiter due to they obtained something valuable, save them and we can use the item.)
http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/user/illust/73996

• Jupiter. Put them in so you can transfer your aggression to them on the game, or not?
Yes, please! (They can become mini-bosses or bosses, or they can be like childhood rivals in Pokemon everytime you meet them, beat em'! :D)

• Option to select Producer's gender. Yes or no?
Sure, why not? (Gotta see the difference between male and female)

• Idols's theme music. Use existing music or make a remix? Or make an original theme?
I guess that can come later.

• Game Title. Any names to be pit off "Producer of Fate"?
I'm sure I could think of a better name than that.[/list]
"My name's Amagase Touma, A-ma-ga-se To-u-ma, got it?" - Amagase Touma

RoninatorMarx

• Producer
  • Break Time---!!
    • View Profile
    • Marx's Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 03:45:17 pm »
    Battles: I'm partial to Chrono Trigger style fights, but classic Dragon Quest style is just as good. You might want to think about damage formulas, too.

DQ-style? Alright. Seems it's the best choice anyway. As for formulas, I'll be doing that too. Elemental strenghts and weakness, weapon versus armor, etc.

I'm acceptable with the on screen and the random, but on controlled areas. (Can the game have different difficulty levels?)

Yes, there can be difficulty levels.

876: 876 is dependent on how much more effort you want to put in. How complex is the script? Are you going to be gutsy and change the script based on the characters you have? If so... this will exponentially increase the amount of script to make. I'd say gauge your decision based on how you want dialog to pan out.

I plan to base the script on the number of characters I'll have. The script is no object to me, to be honest. *shot*

They can join as our allies. (I just thought of something, what if they got kidnapped by Jupiter due to they obtained something valuable, save them and we can use the item.)
    http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/user/illust/73996

Woah....I'm loving me some weapon designs. XD

If they'll be NPC? Sure, why not. Though I must know at this point whether to add them or not. (I can still fit in the Valuable-item-from-876 plot either way)

961: As enemies... there'll be no further complexities I don't think. Putting them in is just as much effort as leaving them out.

I see. Now, as to how they appear.....

Yes, please! (They can become mini-bosses or bosses, or they can be like childhood rivals in Pokemon everytime you meet them, beat em'! :D)

Maybe the combination of the two? XD

Producer: Will there be conceptual gameplay changes? How about script changes? Again, you can decide on one for now, then add in stuff if you feel you want to change it. Programmatically (if you indeed think there will be script changes), you can stub in a conditional and just set said variable when the game starts. When you feel the need for a select option, you can make it then (and remove aforementioned hardcode). If you find it unfeasible, just leave it.
    Sure, why not? (Gotta see the difference between male and female)

Script changes are guaranteed (more yuri *shot*). As for gameplay changes, I was thinking of making the male more physically focused while the female more mentally focused (like in common cliche systems). There can be more. I've only thought as far as that for now.[/doing script]

Music: This decision can be saved for later, if you can't decide. It's really a matter of overwriting a file.
    I guess that can come later.

Alright. Will do music in another time.

Title: Start writing. A title will come naturally once you find the theme of the game, I think.

You're probably right. Seeing as I now have virtually a lot of free time (though without the laptop), I can focus on the script more.

I'm sure I could think of a better name than that.[/list]

Well, I'm still all ears. When you get an idea, shoot.

Speaking of script, you might want to decide how you're popping people into the party. Choose at the beginning, then they'll join you through the game, or all at once at the beginning? Advance through the game, meet them do their quest, then decide then?

As I've said in the first post, you choose the three idols you want to accompany you. You can not interact with any of the selected until you've met them in certain parts of the plot, unlike those who you did not choose, where you'll meet them sometime after meeting your first idol. I'll explain later on making a rough draft of the plot sequence.

Clear Blue

• Producer
    • Omigosh!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 05:07:19 pm »
    Woah....I'm loving me some weapon designs. XD
    (Weapon design fetish?) Not enough for you? I think there's more from deviantArt.

If they'll be NPC? Sure, why not. Though I must know at this point whether to add them or not. (I can still fit in the Valuable-item-from-876 plot either way)
    Sure. Save them, they'll join us and we get to use the item. (Say, ever planned to add in Maoh Angels or whatever they're called? So we can have more rivals than Jupiter only.)

Maybe the combination of the two? XD
    Great idea.

Well, I'm still all ears. When you get an idea, shoot.
    "Producer of Fate" sounds like a simulation game. "Path of Destiny"?

RoninatorMarx

• Producer
    • Break Time---!!
      • View Profile
      • Marx's Blog
    « Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 03:09:22 am »
    (Weapon design fetish?) Not enough for you? I think there's more from deviantArt.

No thanks. I'll save myself from the fangasm. XD

Sure. Save them, they'll join us and we get to use the item. (Say, ever planned to add in Maoh Angels or whatever they're called? So we can have more rivals than Jupiter only.)

Not really sure. Not as much motivated on Maoh Angels enough to think of putting them in. If you like, convince me.

"Producer of Fate" sounds like a simulation game. "Path of Destiny"?

Sounds too cliche, to be honest.

Sev

• Producer
    • Making a better tommorow tommorow
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 03:56:52 am »
    Unsung Valor or Starry Knight those are just the names that came of the top of my head.

Like a bird in the sky I believe i can fly

Urby

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 05:26:25 am »
    +1 vote to Unsung Valor for the music tie-in.

/fails to contribute otherwise

RoninatorMarx

• Producer
    • Break Time---!!
      • View Profile
      • Marx's Blog
    « Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:24 am »
    Starry Knight....There's a group like that already, plus....I dunno, it sound a bit......childish? Out of place?

Unsung Valor, however, might just work. There's a book with that as a title, but perhaps no one would mind.

/fails to contribute otherwise

Well, aside from that list above, I'm still thinking of whether to keep Ami and Mami as separate idols (with, of course, different classes and stats). I need to know what to do with 876 and Jupiter to complete something more plot-wise, as well.

Sev

• Producer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 08:01:47 am »
    Unsung Valor, however, might just work. There's a book with that as a title, but perhaps no one would mind.
    Yay i came up with a good name. I don't think anyone will mind to much its not like you intentionally stole the title.

I'll see if i can come up with something for the other groups plotwise

Clear Blue

• Producer
    • Omigosh!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 09:42:49 am »
    Not really sure. Not as much motivated on Maoh Angels enough to think of putting them in. If you like, convince me.

Sounds too cliche, to be honest.
    Hmm... I guess Sev's name is good.

Edit: Oh look! It's iM@S2 (High school edition)!
    « Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:15:14 pm by Clear Blue »

RoninatorMarx

• Producer
    • Break Time---!!
      • View Profile
      • Marx's Blog
    « Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 07:09:37 pm »
    Hmm.....Seems I forgot to tackle one important bit: Hairstyles. Which do you guys like best: pre-iM@S2 or iM@S2 hairstyle?

Whoa. That's....quite great, actually. Do they come with attack animations?

...Don't answer that. I don't think the creator of them would allow me to use them. I'm to make my own, anyway.

Cael K.

• Producer
    • Dark Slayer Style!
      • View Profile
      • Memories of Melon Pan
    « Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 01:16:37 am »
    Hmm.....Seems I forgot to tackle one important bit: Hairstyles. Which do you guys like best: pre-iM@S2 or iM@S2 hairstyle?

*votes for Azusa with long hair*

Sev

• Producer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 01:27:18 am »
    *votes for Azusa with long hair*
    this