With
0 (0%)
Without
2 (66.7%)
I'd rather put something else (explain)
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: November 30, 2010, 10:57:32 AM

Author Topic: iM@S 2 wallpaper  (Read 1519 times)

Raestloz

• UnOfficial Picture Assembler
    • View Profile
iM@S 2 wallpaper
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:57:33 AM »
Note: The poll is closed. I didn't think I'd find a solution that quickly. However, suggestions and fair critiques are still welcome.

By the way, I know it's still open until 30th of November, it's just that I can't close a poll myself

1280x1024:

1366x768:

1600x1200:

Suggestions are appreciated

Old post:
I made an iM@S 2 wallpaper today, but for some reason I feel that something is wrong.

Originally, it's like this: (click to enlarge)

But I feel it's a bit empty, so I put their names, like this:

Yet now I feel it's a bit too crowded. What do you think? Should I stay with the original or the named one? OR should I put something else there?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:22:39 PM by Raestloz »
Choose Your Top iDOL

THE iDOLM@STER must GO ON!

hamuzou961

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: iM@S 2 wallpaper
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »
very nice work! i actually prefer the no name version myself.

TweenDoriru

• Producer
  • inactive like crazy
    • View Profile
    • sometimes drawing stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »
Ohh, nice wallpaper! I want to use it but I'll have to stretch it like crazy *weird screen resolution*

I'd say the wallpaper looks better without, but having that info there is nice. Maybe try making their names a little transparent (so the black doesn't stand out as strong as it does). Like...looking at the picture, the lineart and the lines on their faces are black, but no actually-colored things are entirely black (even Makoto's and Hibiki's hair are dark grey), which might be why the text has the 'crowding' effect it does now.

</art geek>

Or add some sort of swirly design between the portraits of the idols or something like that to fill the space rather than using the names. XD

Raestloz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
Ohh, nice wallpaper! I want to use it but I'll have to stretch it like crazy *weird screen resolution*

I'd say the wallpaper looks better without, but having that info there is nice. Maybe try making their names a little transparent (so the black doesn't stand out as strong as it does). Like...looking at the picture, the lineart and the lines on their faces are black, but no actually-colored things are entirely black (even Makoto's and Hibiki's hair are dark grey), which might be why the text has the 'crowding' effect it does now.

</art geek>

Or add some sort of swirly design between the portraits of the idols or something like that to fill the space rather than using the names. XD

Interesting, I'll try it today. Also if you like I can make you a stretched version. The background is originally around 1600x1200 (the right collage and face orbs are overlays). A wide screen has more space to work with. A shame I didn't take widescreen back then :(
Choose Your Top iDOL

TweenDoriru

• Producer
  • inactive like crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »
Interesting, I'll try it today. Also if you like I can make you a stretched version. The background is originally around 1600x1200 (the right collage and face orbs are overlays). A wide screen has more space to work with. A shame I didn't take widescreen back then :(
Any widescreen res would be nice, if you don't mind :)

(I have a 1366x768 resolution...such a weird resolution. I don't think I have any wallpapers that are actually that size XD)

Raestloz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 06:22:10 AM »
Any widescreen res would be nice, if you don't mind :)

(I have a 1366x768 resolution...such a weird resolution. I don't think I have any wallpapers that are actually that size XD)

Well, now you do :D

I tried to use a circular glow around their face with their respective colors, but it feels odd :/ I can't see their face clearly that way

So I decided to just use a bit of Lens Flare effect and will find some Photoshop brushes today to add spakling star effect. I haven't got the brushes yet so that one only have Lens Flare (and my current one too)

Here's my current one:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:12:48 PM by Raestloz »
Choose Your Top iDOL

TweenDoriru

• Producer
  • inactive like crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 08:46:19 AM »
Oh, awesome :D Thanks a bunch. My screen looks so good right now. ;D

Picup

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • justice to believe - wordpress blog
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:10:09 PM »
This, is an awesome wallpaper, hands down.

I think I'm digging the first one you did (without the text) because I'm someone who likes a bit of fade (or light... or... s-something).  I felt that the text one was very congested -- maybe try to lighten the opacity on the text.

oh man i want to graphic again.

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »
Suggestions are appreciated

16x12. ^^;
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Raestloz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »
Finally found the solution!

I googled and found some great stars and sparkles brush, and filled the void with it. Now it's all shiny and sparkling and full of glory! :)

1280x1024:

1366x768:

1600x1200:

the 1600x1200 is a bit different (mainly in the face positions, but the 1366x768's is too, so I guess it's not that much of a difference) because the resolution is bigger, and the images need to be... well... bigger, so that the pics are clearly visible. As such, I can't really do much for different customizations. At first I thought I have more space due to bigger resolution, turns out after you make the images bigger, the proportion is pretty much the same :(

The only thing upscaled is that cover collage, the face orbs that mine has are actually downscaled from the original resolution

With this, I'll close the poll, and remove that awesomely huge pic in my last post, it's troubling my view of the forum board
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:16:34 PM by Raestloz »
Choose Your Top iDOL