puppies-volcanic
Username: Password:

Author Topic: I was wondering...  (Read 3705 times)

CherryEverlasting

• Greenhorn
  • <3
    • View Profile
I was wondering...
« on: March 09, 2010, 01:46:25 AM »
What's the difference between The Idolm@ster and The Idolm@ster: Live for you! ?

And if I were to get one, which one should it be? I plan on importing a Japanese 360, saving up the money for it and should hopefully have enough for it by Summer. I might end up getting both of them, but which one first, assuming I don't get them both?

Yeah, thanks.

s8C

• View Profile
Re: I was wondering...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:08:46 AM »
Idolm@ster is the arcade game. Talking to your idol, learning their backstory, helping them become the very best like no one ever was etc. Plays basically the same as SP

L4U is more like a jukebox. The songs, the idols, and rhythm games to play with them. It's worth noting that this is the one that got all the DLC, so unless you speak moon language you'll want this one for the sake of content.

CherryEverlasting

• Greenhorn
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 02:49:14 AM »
So, Idolm@ster is the one with all the communications and whatnot, white L4U is mainly for the auditions and stuff?

Benpc91

• View Profile
    • IMMWS
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:57:47 AM »
Not even auditions in L4U.  Just pick a song and play rhythm game/take pictures/just watch.

The iDOLM@STER MAD World Service
The Gentlemen's Guide to THE iDOLM@STER

digi162

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 03:04:52 AM »
L4U is all stage performances.  However you have more free reign in selecting what songs you want to play, who you want in the performance, what you want them to wear, etc. then in the regular game.  It's a lot easier to understand and play if you don't know Japanese too.

If you get the regular game, it plays more like well...a game haha.  So if you're expecting to watch your idol sing and dance, you have to work toward it with lessons, communications, etc.  It's a bit tough to figure out at first, but after multiple playthroughs, you end up knowing what to do.
MCDONALDS x YAYOI FANFIC PLZ

CherryEverlasting

• Greenhorn
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 03:21:15 AM »
Ooh, okay I get it. Would it still be tough for me to figure out even though I have Perfect Sun? I'll definitely have to get the regular one. I'll probably end up with L4U one way or another, though. ;)

Benpc91

• View Profile
    • IMMWS
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:45:41 AM »
If you have SP, why do you want to purchase the 360 version?  A Japanese 360 costs way to much to simply play two games.

CherryEverlasting

• Greenhorn
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:49:46 AM »
Hmm, I'm weird like that. I honestly am pretty big on graphics, and it would be nice to be able to produce Miki..

I honestly don't have anything else I really want. I'm kind of stubborn, if I put my mind to something I won't give up until it's complete. If I don't save my money with something I really want in mind I'll end up spending it all on something even more stupid than an Xbox360 with two working games.

Benpc91

• View Profile
    • IMMWS
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 04:09:02 AM »
I spent a bit over $500 to fully get everything together.  Are you willing to spend that much?
Also, are you absolutely sure an enhanced PS3 port will not come out in the next year or so?

digi162

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 04:57:54 AM »
That's a good point.  While you save, you might want to wait and see what's in store this year for Im@s before making any purchases.  Also since you have Perfect Sun, how much time have you invested into the game?  If you've only casually played it, then you might not want to get the regular version of the game since it's just more of the same, only more harder.

I never got or will get the 360 versions because it's too much money for just one/two games.  That's what I loved about SP, if I ended up not liking the game I could easily use the PSP to play other games.  Plus there's DLC to keep in mind, so it's more money you would have to spend if you want more content.
MCDONALDS x YAYOI FANFIC PLZ

airgeneralpong

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »
Hmm, I'm weird like that. I honestly am pretty big on graphics, and it would be nice to be able to produce Miki..

I honestly don't have anything else I really want. I'm kind of stubborn, if I put my mind to something I won't give up until it's complete. If I don't save my money with something I really want in mind I'll end up spending it all on something even more stupid than an Xbox360 with two working games.
I can understand you situation well. Because that's exactly what I've already done. (Xbox with only iM@S & DLC)
One thing for sure, the terrible lip sync of SP graphic is truly unacceptable. And if you prefer all those HD graphic and the physics engine of xbox 360 version, I guess it worth trying. (The graphic is really enjoyable as you've known)
But I strongly have to warn you since you've been late this far, it's already late enough to be better to wait for PS3 version (as Benpc91 and the others have recommended).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:15:45 AM by airgeneralpong »

TweenDoriru

• Producer
  • inactive like crazy
    • View Profile
    • sometimes drawing stuff
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 12:28:35 PM »

That was my mindset originally, too. I still really want the 360 version (duos and trios are a big thing in iM@S for me, and you can't do them on the PSP), but at the same time I've realized...it's a lot of moolah and work for that. Since I have SP now, that's more than satiated that 360-craving (Though, I'm not enough of a fan of Miki to want to produce her that badly).

I'd agree with the others and see what's in store for the iM@S2 console game. That region-free PS3 version is a possibility~

ProjectAria

• Do your work or else!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 01:40:31 AM »
Being an iDOLM@STER fan isn't cheap.... Run down on the cost of owning  Japanese 360(all from play-asia)

Japanese 360 = $289.90
360 Hadrive (60 gigs) = $99.90
The Idolm@ster = $34.90
The Idolm@ster : Live for You! = $34.90

Total = $459.60

What iDOLM@STER 360 has over the SP version are Duos, Trios, HD Graphics, Lips are sync, and physics engine.  You could wait for a possible PS3 release of iDOLM@STER but there hasn't been any backing towards it.  If you want to go for it then do it, thats what I did a month ago and I don't regret it.  I still play with iDOLM@STER SP but I spend more time with the 360.  It really comes down to the fact if you are willing to spend that much for iDOLM@STER.... Also the fear of getting RRoD on your 360...

CherryEverlasting

• Greenhorn
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 02:15:26 AM »
It'll probably take me a while to get the money in the first time, if there's one announced for the PS3 by that time I'll definitely save my money.

That's a good point.  While you save, you might want to wait and see what's in store this year for Im@s before making any purchases.  Also since you have Perfect Sun, how much time have you invested into the game?  If you've only casually played it, then you might not want to get the regular version of the game since it's just more of the same, only more harder.
Yayoi is now Rank B on my second playthrough, almost A...

Then again I had no clue what I was doing on my first playthrough and only got to about rank D. But I've definitely got the hang of it, I think. If I was a casual player I probably wouldn't be considering importing and spending all of this money. ;)