Username: Password:

Author Topic: Idolmaster western release! What you can do right now:  (Read 13049 times)

RoninatorMarx

• Producer
  • Break Time---!!
    • View Profile
    • Marx's Blog
Re: Idolmaster western release! What you can do right now:
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 09:57:40 AM »
I believe this has been done before, though the requesting is on Namco Bandai's own forum.

Moving on, as much as this is worth a shot, perhaps we shouldn't do this, not for iM@S at least. We can do something, yes. But should we? In my opinion, no.

Breakdown:

Point one: Imagine if it does, Atlus will soon decide over dub or sub. It would be awkward that a good portion of the game is Japanese, and it will only have subbed communication. The Producer's case, being a silent protagonist, makes it more awkward as it would look like speaking two different languages yet full understanding. We could also go to the point of dub for commus only, the songs don't change. That would work, until some fans (the unpleasable) would complain for the choice of voice actors. Though at that point, your mileage may vary, so some may see it good. Some, bad. Others, don't care.

Point two: Let's say they worked something out. The fans are very pleased with whatever decisions Atlus made. But here's the part where it matters most: Who would get the game? Sure, Atlus have sent us good translations in the past, but that doesn't mean they'll keep on doing it for anything if they see that both they and the other company won't profit much from it.

Sorry if I seemed pessimistic there, but I'm not trying to be such and instead be realistic. I mean, majority of the people who own an iM@S title understand Japanese, and has gone through many stuff JUST to get the game (a brilliant marketing strategy for Namco may I add). Some people who have heard of iM@S will instantly label this game as some cliche Visual Novel (as I saw in the forum link you posted).

If you want my true opinion, yes, why not? It's Atlus, the same people that gave us English versions of Izuna, Draglade, Super Robot Wars OG, Summon Night, Disgaea, KOF Neo Blood (*shot*), Guilty Gear (the first of the series), and Arcana Heart (*drools*). They can probably pull this off. But enter fan haters, those damn extremist who judge things before the label. Which is why I like the unannounced stuff.

I love iM@S, and I respect Atlus. That's why most of me is against this, to prevent those people who has and will give this game a bad name, sometimes without even an honest reason. I'll support this motion when and if some damn people stop trying to ruin the image of some games and us fans. If it does, I want subs. I trust some subbing, but I don't play risks at stakes this big.

At the moment, the only thing I want Atlus translating is Draglade 2. >X3 IT'S BEEN OVER 3 YEARS, ATLUS! THREE WHOLE YEARS!!

I wonder if instead of bringing the game over, Atlus could work with Namco to make an English patch that could be applied to the game.  Make a couple more language patches, and put them on sale.  Even if you had to pay like 600 yen or something to get a language patch, it'd be better than having to repurchase the game.  I dunno, I'm sure at some point even if it's years from now this game will probably find it's way over here.

Patching would be impossible in that case. What a patch does is fix minor gameplay issues or to add, disable or remove bugs and accidental game breakers. If you will look at the case of Street Fighter IV, they could've just make a patch for the new characters, gameplay changes, etc. but it was deemed too big of a change to be called a patch.

If we apply that to iM@S standards, that would mean changing the coding for every commu, menu bars, etc. In that sense, was it way bigger than SFIV's case. Rewriting an entire game is instead the only solution.

TweenDoriru

• Producer
  • inactive like crazy
    • View Profile
    • sometimes drawing stuff
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 09:11:30 PM »
Well, as people have said before, there's no harm in trying XD I do see the handheld versions selling better, though (As much as I'd want a 360 release so I don't have to import it).

and...well, there are people that are against anything :\ You could put a Barney game for 2 year olds on the market, and there would be someone that's entirely too old to be doing so complaining about it, really XD Not everyone can be fans of everything, and there are always people that will look at things from the wrong view (or complain because they have nothing better to do).

lisondra22

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 09:54:52 PM »
Fantasies are dreams.
Dreams are hope.
Hopes are goals.
Goals are attainable thru hard work.
Even thinking about doing hard work is unthinkable.
The unthinkable is not to be done.

digi162

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »
Quote from: MarxMayhem
Patching would be impossible in that case. What a patch does is fix minor gameplay issues or to add, disable or remove bugs and accidental game breakers. If you will look at the case of Street Fighter IV, they could've just BLAH BLAH BLAH MY INTERNET DICK

MARX SRSLY I don't get where you feel entitled to waltz around this board and tell people they're wrong like this.  You're arguing with me and telling me I'm wrong because I threw an idea out there, only because it didn't match with whatever you agree with.  It's even more amusing that I can google the word patch and get a definition that doesn't even match your definition.

Any mod can delete this post, but seriously this needs to be said.  You argue pointlessly and whine to everyone on this god damn board you just keep alienating everyone trying to enjoy and talk about this game.  You even complained when I came back for how gangsta my intro post was, even though everyone posting was having a good time and a good laugh.  Who cares how seriously we take this game, this isn't some place to argue and banter, it's a place to meet new people who enjoy this game, and just have some gawd damn fun.  And it would be fun except we got negative people walking around feeling the need to put everyone down every time someone has an idea.  It turns this place into a freaking ghost town because no one wants to chat amidst all that.  It makes me feel so bad for Kaminos and Yuna, since they put all this work into creating a place like this, only to have it spoiled.  You have 700+ posts and don't even own the game, why should I take your posts seriously.

MCDONALDS x YAYOI FANFIC PLZ

Kyo

• Perverted Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 03:36:10 AM »
MARX SRSLY I don't get where you feel entitled to waltz around this board and tell people they're wrong like this.  You're arguing with me and telling me I'm wrong because I threw an idea out there, only because it didn't match with whatever you agree with.  It's even more amusing that I can google the word patch and get a definition that doesn't even match your definition.

Any mod can delete this post, but seriously this needs to be said.  You argue pointlessly and whine to everyone on this god damn board you just keep alienating everyone trying to enjoy and talk about this game.  You even complained when I came back for how gangsta my intro post was, even though everyone posting was having a good time and a good laugh.  Who cares how seriously we take this game, this isn't some place to argue and banter, it's a place to meet new people who enjoy this game, and just have some gawd damn fun.  And it would be fun except we got negative people walking around feeling the need to put everyone down every time someone has an idea.  It turns this place into a freaking ghost town because no one wants to chat amidst all that.  It makes me feel so bad for Kaminos and Yuna, since they put all this work into creating a place like this, only to have it spoiled.  You have 700+ posts and don't even own the game, why should I take your posts seriously.

QFT

On topic: The only way Idolmaster would be able to get a release outside Japan is if conservative bigots, feminist Taliban groups, and other self-righteous moralists stop whining about games/manga/anime featuring underage girls.

The main difference is mindset.

Also @ satty: I agree that the 360 versions would probably be drowned in the sea of Western FPS and action games that seem to make up the population of games for that console. However, I think SP would be a better introduction to new fans than the DS version. DS is kinda like a semi-sequel to SP and it may make more sense for people to get acquainted with the 765 idols and their backgrounds first, so that they know why they act the way they do in DS.

And, SP is more closer to the original gameplay formula than DS, so I feel that players would be able to get the more 'complete' experience instead of a stripped-down version.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:51:14 AM by Kyo »

This line in my signature will be removed when Idolmaster Xenoglossia is included in Super Robot Wars

lisondra22

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 09:58:47 AM »
MARX SRSLY I don't get where you feel entitled to waltz around this board and tell people they're wrong like this.  You're arguing with me and telling me I'm wrong because I threw an idea out there, only because it didn't match with whatever you agree with.  It's even more amusing that I can google the word patch and get a definition that doesn't even match your definition.

Any mod can delete this post, but seriously this needs to be said.  You argue pointlessly and whine to everyone on this god damn board you just keep alienating everyone trying to enjoy and talk about this game.  You even complained when I came back for how gangsta my intro post was, even though everyone posting was having a good time and a good laugh.  Who cares how seriously we take this game, this isn't some place to argue and banter, it's a place to meet new people who enjoy this game, and just have some gawd damn fun.  And it would be fun except we got negative people walking around feeling the need to put everyone down every time someone has an idea.  It turns this place into a freaking ghost town because no one wants to chat amidst all that.  It makes me feel so bad for Kaminos and Yuna, since they put all this work into creating a place like this, only to have it spoiled.  You have 700+ posts and don't even own the game, why should I take your posts seriously.

Chill! Every people on this planet has their own opinions and conspiracies. So be friends kay?

Cien Laguoire

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
Just my 2 cents worth.
I think it's worth a try to try to get an Idolmaster game a NA/EU release, but it's likely it won't be possible. The games are closely tied into a very unique part of Japanese culture, one which a large majority of people outside of Japan would likely not completely understand. If the game did get a NA/EU release, which is good for most of us here on Project Im@s, there still might only be a small amount of people wanting to play this game. Then again, it might become a cult hit, like other Japanese games that made their way here, and it just might catch on to a larger audience. :)

It may be very difficult to shoot for a NA/EU release of Im@s, but it's certainly not impossible. Nothing that we shouldn't do something about, anyways.

Scotty

• 961Pro President
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • Kuroi Shachou
    • View Profile
    • G+ iDOLM@STER Community
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 01:29:22 AM »
If there's a mod that's going to delete that post, it won't be me. Unfortunately, my sentiments are pretty much imbued in those words.

I'm still crossing all my extremities  that 2nd Vision turns out to be iM@S for PS3. Only then will we ever see anything close to a western release. Which will be none. Take Star Ocean 4 International into consideration. Packed full of languages. Only way to truly enjoy those types of games is to offer subbing only, since SO4's dubbing was atrocious. Then again, many games do dubbing almost perfect, like BandaiNamco's own Tales of Vesperia, or Final Fantasy 13. Still, subbing seems like the only logical step in the right direction for iM@S. This is only translated text, to be replaced whenever a player wants, not some sort of serious code work as mentioned before. A patch is also reasonable. I've seen many many patches in PC games, AND PSP games that have added a great amount of content to an already released game. Don't agree? Then replace "patch" with "DLC".

Why do I hope for a PS3 version so bad? Because it can easily hold room for many subbed languages, not just English, already opening the door to many other fans who also hope for the hopeless. Also, some people still don't seem to understand that a PS3 release would mean no region lock whatsoever. As in, you just need to make an order on a simple import site and pay a tiny bit more.

What more could one want~!

zeda12123

• Dan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 04:12:14 PM »
I have to admit, I agree with, Scotty here.

Cien Laguoire

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »
And to add to your PS3 comment, Scotty, if I remember correctly, it is a region free system, meaning we can import the game (if Second Vision does come out as a PS3 game) without worrying over the regional limitations like the 360 has. :)

H4ataraxia

• 清く正しい天海春香でーす!
    • View Profile
    • 愛の速度を超える
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 10:43:26 PM »
IM@S western release?
not possible

IM@S PS3?
we're getting somewhere

Sev

• Producer
  • Making a better tommorow tommorow
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 05:14:47 AM »
my only concern with a ps3 release is would there be english subbing because my skill for japanese is zero until my Japanese classes start next year.

also good to see you again Taco

Like a bird in the sky I believe i can fly

animeprincess

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
IM@S western release?
not possible

IM@S PS3?
we're getting somewhere

ikuto-sama

• Producer
  • ぜったいトップアイドル♥
    • View Profile
    • Check me out on Tumblr!
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 03:48:28 AM »

IM@S western release?
not possible

IM@S PS3?
we're getting somewhere

Need there be anything else said?

BlueBird

• Greenhorn
  • 私はアイドル!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 02:46:32 AM »
If any games have a chance of being ported would be the SP series. I don't know if the American audience would be ok with not only underage girls but one of them being a cross dresser would be a big issue. I live in America and most of the people of my generation would be ok with this but news sources (like CNN) would try and angle the game to make it look like its making your children gay. I think most fans wouldn't want a dubbed game just a subbed game. Personally I would hate the most if the idols had English voices when talking but sing in  Japanese because this would seem more out of place than English text. In the game Fate/ Unlimited Codes (I think that was what its called) for PSP there was only a Japanese voice track but English text.  If this was brought over I would pick it up 1st day and buy DLC no doubt
My Favorite Idols are Yukiho, Yayoi, and Takane