puppies-volcanic
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Idolmaster western release! What you can do right now:  (Read 14431 times)

Ferret

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Idolmaster western release! What you can do right now:
« on: March 04, 2010, 01:13:56 PM »
Hi,

Do you want to see Idolmaster games seeing official western release? Here's what you can do: go to the official Atlus forums, and post to this thread supporting Idolmaster: http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6609

If you aren't registered at their forums already, it just takes a minute.

Okay, before anyone starts saying it's no use, Atlus really is interested in these threads. One of their employees said on another forum that they do keep a close eye on these suggestion threads, and those that get lots of replies will be seriously considered. Atlus brings over a lot niche games from Japan. Doesn't hurt to try, right?

airgeneralpong

• View Profile
Re: Idolmaster western release! What you can do right now:
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
Other than let them look down on our idols, I sorry to say, but it's certainly not going to work.

Lushe

• The Power of the Sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »
Unfortunately, the typical western gamer is not familiar with Idolmaster. And those western gamers who have heard of Idolmaster think that it's just a typical dating-sim game with underage girls (which is false, of course). So, of course, it's gonna be looked down on.

So yeah, harsh reality, but we gotta accept it. Idolmaster is one of those games that will probably never get out of Japan. ):

I know the Iron Eyes will guide me!

Ferret

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »
That's what everyone said about Sakura Wars: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R102563.html

That's also what they said about the Ace Attorney series. And Katamari Damacy.

When people were doing a petition to bring back Sam & Max, lots of people were saying it's no use, it's not gonna happen. It turned out the Sam & Max team was so impressed about the petition they started their own company, and now we have two more Sam & Max games.

People say about lots of games they're too Japanese to be released here. Surprisingly many of them do get released, many by Atlus, and actually do well over here. You really just never know.

Look, all I'm saying it doesn't hurt to ask, but defeatist attitude does hurt the cause. At any rate, you can improve the reputation of the series by leaving your own corner and going out there. Tell other people what it's really about. Things don't happen by themselves.

digi162

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:40:54 PM »
LOL I actually thought about making a thread on their forum a long while back petitioning the xbox version, and I think there is/are some threads on there that tried to petition the game.  I mean it doesn't hurt trying but the biggest problem is Namco itself.  Like if you look at all the Tales Of requested games in that forum too, it doesn't come down to how much the people want the games, it's just Namco isn't willing to part so easily with a lot of it's franchises.  I think you'd have to petition both Atlus and Namco for a stateside release @_@

I still support your idea, it would be nice to see a stateside release.  I'd suggest focusing on the SP releases on your thread there maybe.  Those would probably sell well in the states I think since the PSP doesn't have a lot of solid releases in the states.  I've been meaning actually to make a bunch of tutorial videos on how to play the game and put them up on youtube.  A lot of the problems getting people to play or interested is just the language barrier.
MCDONALDS x YAYOI FANFIC PLZ

Lushe

• The Power of the Sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »

People say about lots of games they're too Japanese to be released here. Surprisingly many of them do get released, many by Atlus, and actually do well over here. You really just never know.

Yeah, you have a point. XD

At any rate, you can improve the reputation of the series by leaving your own corner and going out there. Tell other people what it's really about. Things don't happen by themselves.

Unfortunately, I've been doing this since the day I bought my first Idolmaster game, but alas, it's really hard to get through the typical western gamer.

But hey, I guess it's too early to quit. I mean, you're right, Atlus may just pull this one off if enough people demand it. XD

I know the Iron Eyes will guide me!

iDOL15

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »
I hope it does make it here. I believe that THE iDOLM@STER has sooooo much potential for it to actually find a niche here in the US markets. I'm not saying it will probably be the next blockbuster game but it most likely won't be a huge bomb.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:06:23 PM by iDOL15 »

Sev

• Producer
  • Making a better tommorow tommorow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:13:13 PM »
Hell yeah i'll sign what have we got to lose. The odds are against us but then again there a better chance of a western release if we do something than if we just sit here. Whats the worst that can happen. Its all or nothing for me. 360 or bust.

Like a bird in the sky I believe i can fly

s8C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »
Maybe if they took the EBA approach to it and created a similar game with a new western cast.
I wouldn't really want to re-buy a sub of the game since I've already got so much invested in my current copy

And I don't think dubbing would work for a game so heavily focused on the character's vocals. However good a singer they got to be Makoto, I wouldn't be able to think of her as Makoto, because it's just not her voice.

Atlus is pretty good about making English versions of songs, so it might actually be good, but I think there'd need to be a new set of idols. Even when dubs are done really well they'll be compared unfavorably to the original, because of the tendency to favor the voice you've become used to.

iDOL15

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »
Maybe if they took the EBA approach to it and created a similar game with a new western cast.
I wouldn't really want to re-buy a sub of the game since I've already got so much invested in my current copy

And I don't think dubbing would work for a game so heavily focused on the character's vocals. However good a singer they got to be Makoto, I wouldn't be able to think of her as Makoto, because it's just not her voice.

Atlus is pretty good about making English versions of songs, so it might actually be good, but I think there'd need to be a new set of idols. Even when dubs are done really well they'll be compared unfavorably to the original, because of the tendency to favor the voice you've become used to.

Doing a similar game would be a bad mistake. I don't really have much faith in the casting process but I hope they could  they might find good voice actresses and when comes to the song localization, I'm kind of hoping they would take the Bust a Move (Groove) approach where they in most cases just wrote english lyrics to the songs that were in japanese.

Bust a Move(Groove)1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0OZqmppGk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlH7IbsVoZw

Bust a Move(Groove)2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgmt2PqT4kc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZe75LwYQVQ

zeda12123

• Dan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 03:51:53 AM »
What's there to lose? Never hurts to try! =D

Sev

• Producer
  • Making a better tommorow tommorow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 04:25:08 AM »
we should ask Atlus to sub the game instead of dub, this way we can keep the Orginality and those of us (myself included) that can't speak or read Japanese can understand what the characters are saying. When you aproach from a marketing prospective it makes since less money spent on dubbing equals more money in everyones pockets.

Like a bird in the sky I believe i can fly

zeda12123

• Dan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 04:31:57 AM »
The ability to choose what language different parts of the game is in would be a nice feature~ Like, for example, being able to have the songs in japanese, but have the dialoge in english dub or subbed.

digi162

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 05:52:05 AM »
we should ask Atlus to sub the game instead of dub, this way we can keep the Orginality and those of us (myself included) that can't speak or read Japanese can understand what the characters are saying. When you aproach from a marketing prospective it makes since less money spent on dubbing equals more money in everyones pockets.

Honestly that would be the best way to go about it.  Subbing would be a lot easier than dubbing, unfortunately Sony and their weird rules.  I remember Atlus had some problems with Arcana Heart, they had to remove dialogue because Sony wouldn't let them keep it in.  Shame they can't do what Sony allowed Sega to do with Yakuza 2.

I wonder if instead of bringing the game over, Atlus could work with Namco to make an English patch that could be applied to the game.  Make a couple more language patches, and put them on sale.  Even if you had to pay like 600 yen or something to get a language patch, it'd be better than having to repurchase the game.  I dunno, I'm sure at some point even if it's years from now this game will probably find it's way over here.
MCDONALDS x YAYOI FANFIC PLZ

satty

• Producer
  • Haha, time for best Tank Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 08:42:50 AM »
Hmm...if it did come out, I would think that the game would do okay. The gameplay seems simple enough for anyone to get, and subbed games can be possible here; there was Endless Frontier....The problem is that yes, there would be some sort of misunderstanding about the game itself (moral guardians would love to pick on it).

As for what game: I don't think the 360 versions would be well received here, with the games that the 360 usually gets, but that's my opinion. The PSP versions could work, but there's the rampant piracy. The DS one seems to be the best chance: a greater amount of people have a DS than a PSP in the US, so there could be more buyers.
--Under Construction---