puppies-volcanic
Username: Password:

Author Topic: DL Lives  (Read 10352 times)

Nakiame

• Hibike, Hibiki!
    • View Profile
Re: DL Lives
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 12:04:43 PM »
I'd like to think so, because after over 1000 lives and 14 gold presents total, I'd like something that literally doesn't require two hours (I average 1 gold present per 73 lives, assuming 2 minutes of playtime, you can do the math) you're looking at sub 0.1% (and this is BEFORE you consider doubles) at a gold present.
I'm at 800 lives total mark (all types included) and got 9 gold presents total. Haven't seen anything but dupe accessories and dupe DL-live costumes so i think you're pretty lucky actually.

And don't forget to add 2 minutes of loading and skipping shit to your actual 2 min of gameplay, so you can do 12 lives per hour max (and every 12th one is an allstar medley with much longer animation sequence).

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 03:49:05 PM »
And are you guys seriously complaining about new free of charge costumes which come out on a weekly or biweekly basis? Who cares if they are recolors, nobody would complain at all if they wouldn't make any DL lives.

Mind your word choice. We've every right to lend criticism where it's warranted. As it stands, it's already tedious going through the motions, so what kind of an incentive is longing for something already in the game?
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »
Mind your word choice. We've every right to lend criticism where it's warranted. As it stands, it's already tedious going through the motions, so what kind of an incentive is longing for something already in the game?

Sorry if i sounded aggressive. It's a result of an accumulation of being annoyed by a lot of stuff like this you see on the internet: people feeling entitled to getting something for free, and in a high quality, and complain about it when it isn't what they dreamed of.

And sorry, i don't really understand what you wanted to say with the last sentence. Just because something is in the game doesn't have to mean you can get it without working for it, otherwise you'd have an event that gives 10 million fans to all girls and drops all costumes at once. I agree, as for now the game feels too grindy if you want the platinum trophy, but i expect some DLC in the future to help with this issue, akin to the EX episodes from OfA. Anyway, i don't see the connection between the grindy gameplay and the complaints about the looks of the costumes/accessories you get from the DL lives. If you don't like how they look, simply don't do the DL lives for them, they are an entirely optional, free extra which nobody expected before the first DL live was announced. THAT's what i'm annoyed about: unexpectedly getting some free new costumes  and new accessories for free (especially knowing it's scamco, and even moreso knowing it's imas) and then complain about the developers being lazy because it's just a recolor or because you don't like the looks of the accessories.

Edit: just to be clear again: There are several aspects in this game that warrant complaining about, depending on what you like and how much you care about it, such as the excessive grinding, the dependance on drop luck, the lack in variety of costumes and accessories (although they all only matter if you are a completionist who wants the platinum trophy), but the looks of the extra DL live items is not among them imo.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:30:09 PM by Naryoril »

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 05:31:51 PM »
Considering I'm to run a catalog of the entire item library, our circumstances are different. Simply not doing DL Lives isn't an option, lest we run the risk of Namco shelving them.

It's also not so much as the recolor being lazy, but it's reflective of the effort Namco is willing to put in Platinum Stars as a whole. Obviously, this hearkens more to the game being a cash magnet, and as a result it snowballs into a questionable pile of game design. No thanks to P drops, Namco can just keep repping away with repetitive content to roll in revenue and it'll always rub me the wrong way.

No real attention to detail, nowadays.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:36:07 PM by DeviantProtagonist »

Roswell

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 07:53:31 PM »
I wouldn't be complaining if the base set in game offered any semblance of variety, but as it stands, they leave a lot to be desired and so do these DL live costumes. In past games, the only way to get new costumes was paid DLC (which also included recolors), and yet I never felt the way I do now with the PS base set of costumes.

You can be happy with your free mediocre content all you want, this doesn't mean we have to be. I understand not wanting to see negative posts, but we feel this is legitimate critisicm even if your opinion differs. Why should we be complacent with what appears to be a clear downgrade from previous games and Scamco appearing to offer no real solution other than these cheap recolors and giving them more money?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:02:39 PM by Roswell »

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »
The lack of variety of costumes in the base game is a legitimate complaint, i agree and i already wrote that in the previous post. But if the DL lives didn't exist, would you have demanded that they release more for free, and not just recolors but also new ones? Or would you have complained about the lack of costumes but eventually begrudgingly settled for what's in the game and available as paid dlc? And be honest to yourself here.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:53:07 PM by Naryoril »

Roswell

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:26 PM »
The lack of variety of costumes in the base game is a legitimate complaint, i agree and i already wrote that in the previous post. But if the DL lives didn't exist, would you have demanded that they release more for free, and not just recolors but also new ones? Or would you have complained about the lack of costumes but eventually begrudgingly settled for what's in the game and available as paid dlc? And be honest to yourself here.

The complaint with the base game set will remain and I wouldn't have demanded them release for free, but I would want them to make the base set more diverse (which is what I want them to do whether or not DL lives exist). But why must the DL live costumes be free from criticism? I accept them for what they are too, but I do not have to be happy with them especially considering they could have been the easy remedy.

Nakiame

• Hibike, Hibiki!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 10:09:23 PM »
We all love im@s and would like to avoid critisizing it as much as possible, but as it stands it's really hard to keep complains to yourself.
And no, DL lives are not free. You've already paid at least 8800 yen for them.

Yukibro

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 10:15:44 PM »
It's also not so much as the recolor being lazy, but it's reflective of the effort Namco is willing to put in Platinum Stars as a whole. Obviously, this hearkens more to the game being a cash magnet, and as a result it snowballs into a questionable pile of game design. No thanks to P drops, Namco can just keep repping away with repetitive content to roll in revenue and it'll always rub me the wrong way.

You mean as repetitive as iM@S DLC has been? Reusing the same vocals recorded years back even today, offering recolored outfits as DLC alongside newer paid content, and otherwise recycling content when they can? Considering the similarities between 2 and OFA, you're even double-dipping there for songs or outfits to use in a rather derivative game as far as the engine goes. That's not to say that P Drops aren't more cash-grabby or questionable, but being worse doesn't mean PS introduced the idea into the series. I don't like to phrase it that way, but that's how it's been for a while, even if it at least seemed more generous before. Namco makes more money off the DLC one way or another, and they aren't entirely benevolent about it.

I wouldn't be complaining if the base set in game offered any semblance of variety, but as it stands, they leave a lot to be desired and so do these DL live costumes. In past games, the only way to get new costumes was paid DLC (which also included recolors), and yet I never felt the way I do now with the PS base set of costumes.

You can be happy with your free mediocre content all you want, this doesn't mean we have to be. I understand not wanting to see negative posts, but we feel this is legitimate critisicm even if your opinion differs. Why should we be complacent with what appears to be a clear downgrade from previous games and Scamco appearing to offer no real solution other than these cheap recolors and giving them more money?

I can't say I entirely disagree, since I think the first DL Live's outfit set some expectations that haven't been met so far (namely the fact that it was entirely original and introduced a new costume type). As far as that goes, I can see why you'd be disappointed. But if we're speaking about the lack of variety of the base costumes, that's not the fault of the DL Lives on their own. That falls under the other criticism of having such costume similarities in the first place, so while it is a problem, I feel that DL Lives are doing as much as they were advertised to do while being dragged down by other unfortunate issues we've mentioned already. I don't feel obligated to criticize the DL Live offerings beyond what I said about the first DL Live showing because at that point, I would be complaining more about P Drops and the recolors than the event itself.

I don't like seeing this as an issue of criticism validity either. You're free to see it as you want, but that applies to everyone too. And I'm not even trying to defend the issues I think the game has (and honestly, the mentioning of them is probably more redundant than the game itself :P), I just wanted to put my two cents in because I feel like the DL Lives alone aren't really the problem here all things considered.

Roswell

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 11:09:29 PM »
I don't like seeing this as an issue of criticism validity either. You're free to see it as you want, but that applies to everyone too. And I'm not even trying to defend the issues I think the game has (and honestly, the mentioning of them is probably more redundant than the game itself :P), I just wanted to put my two cents in because I feel like the DL Lives alone aren't really the problem here all things considered.

I just wanted to defend the right to criticize any aspect of the game, even DL lives (free or not). I don't think DL lives are problematic in theory, but the execution. I totally agree with you that the first DL live set some unrealistic expectations (unrealistic unconsidering it's Scamco) so the following recolor feel even more of a letdown. Whether or not you're happy with what they put out, we should be able to voice our satisfaction or lack thereof.

I can't even complain about the P drops since that's so in line with Namco business strats    ::)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:13:45 PM by Roswell »

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 11:14:20 PM »
Actually most of my concerns have been around acquisition methods - not because the model has no place, but because of the fact they modelled it so badly, on the actual assumption we would play it for a literal infinite hours.

Or for a better perspective, the model used assumes you'll play a given live about a thousand times. EACH.

That's assuming 8 gold presents is enough to get one of every accessory.

(Mathematically it's nowhere close. You need about 16 assuming the game hasn't lied to you re: drop rates, so try closer to 1900 of the same DL live. If you're wondering, nominal drop rates are 4/6 * 3/6 * 2/6 * 1/6 as the C and the S costumes are in the drop list according to the live itself. The %s drop for each additional drop as per above because as you collect items your odds of a double increase.)

How did I draw that conclusion? That's pretty simple - I just modelled on the numbers I have to extrapolate the drop system given the numbers I have.

Amusingly, what makes this worse is the fact that 'paying your way' doesn't even work, because you're subject to some very odd design choices due to the layered very small % rates which effectively cause the cost of pdrops to go near vertical for the DL lives.

The model is dismal simply because the % drop rates are worse than most MMOs. I mean we're talking similar drop rates to Ragnarok Online, and that game was infamous for drops in the 0.01% category with 30 minute to 1 hour (to 8 hours in some cases) drop rates. Under that model (and people camping said bosses 24/7 for years) certain items (like cards at the 0.01%) category did not show up for literal YEARS on servers. From memory, I recall a certain card taking oh, about 5 years to exist once. And this with entire populations camping the poor thing on the dot every 30 minutes.

Even though the spread period is 6 times as long (30m compared to 5m) that's still roughly 10 months straight (And it's a lot more hours than 84, let me tell you).

My emphasis - our nominal calculation ended up with about 84 hours of flat out live play (assuming 5 minutes end to end per week) per live to get all 4 accessories. That's the mathematical average. When 0.01% compounded goes horribly wrong, they can go WAY outside your calculations - namely, cause there's no floor.

The previous results don't matter, meaning that if you spent 50 hours and turned up nothing (I've gone 50 hours at a time without a present dropping, let alone a gold one, so don't be surprised) the next 50 hours can turn up nothing, because previous results don't affect future performance. (It's one of the reasons why mathematically very low % odds can blow out FAR more than they should on paper. You don't learn this in basic probability, incidentally.)

Essentially 'Getting lucky' like in the platinum stars model works for a game with multiplayer aspects (like Diablo, PSO, WoW or any other MMO you can name) as you can buy, trade or downright grind your way out.

In PS, you can't buy (as the p-drops end up working mathematically against you economically due to no floors due to the drop issues I noted) and you can't trade (Or otherwise assist with most social games) as the game provides no option to do so.

Which in turn means there's only one realistic option - Grind it out. You can get back to me once cheating becomes a viable alternative.

At 84 hours of play median? You BETTER hope you're lucky, cause it's known what happens when your roughly calculated odds don't pan out that way. (Namely, the real world requires time to grind to infinity number of plays, and infinity is a very long time)

In MMOs, it's bad enough, but at least you can recruit entire guilds to help you beat said thing until the item shows up.

The closest we have in PS is to play tag team with our save file on a 24 watch system.

The best part? Those odds are calculated per live. In short? I hope you have a literal forever, because when you're done with the 1000 median plays for DL live 1, you're going to have to do it for 2, then 3....

And I personally know there's at least 12 of the things out there.

Which I suspect wasn't the original intention or design, but then again I think when they settled on this model, they forgot to account for some sort of way to compensate for the fact past performance does not influence future performance.

This in turn means the median nominal hours is actually your best case scenario, not your WORST case, and that in turn should frighten you.

For an idea, that's over 2 actual work weeks PER LIVE. (Assuming you work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week)

Guess how fast each live is being released at?

You guessed it, every 2 weeks.

In short, they are aware of the median math, and are hoping like all hell you haven't done the numbers.

I don't like the model personally (apart from having to grind through it myself) mostly cause by its very definition, it makes a huge gulf of haves and have nots with no ability to pay your way across without throwing actual thousands of dollars at it - this in turn affects MAD creation and other fan work since there's no way for Platinum Stars to know if you're a player or a creator.

In short, it's a blunt weapon in an attempt to make variable pricing, using a model that's made a few too many assumptions.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:16:13 PM by Setsuna »
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 11:50:37 PM »
I can't say I entirely disagree, since I think the first DL Live's outfit set some expectations that haven't been met so far (namely the fact that it was entirely original and introduced a new costume type). As far as that goes, I can see why you'd be disappointed. But if we're speaking about the lack of variety of the base costumes, that's not the fault of the DL Lives on their own. That falls under the other criticism of having such costume similarities in the first place, so while it is a problem, I feel that DL Lives are doing as much as they were advertised to do while being dragged down by other unfortunate issues we've mentioned already. I don't feel obligated to criticize the DL Live offerings beyond what I said about the first DL Live showing because at that point, I would be complaining more about P Drops and the recolors than the event itself.

This.

Imo all these complaints about the DL lives, their existence at all and the original costume from the first DL live is a typical case of "give them a finger and they'll take the whole hand". Imo it's not that the first DL live set unrealistic expectations, it's rather that people jumped to unrealistic conclusions. The second DL live came 2 weeks after the first, the 3rd only 1 week after the 2nd. Now people are complaining about "yet another recolor" for the 3rd, where as i bet 90% didn't expect there even BEING a 3rd DL live so soon.

Personally my current speculation about DL lives is that there will be one with an original costume for every catalog, which means one every month. If my guess is right it will mean that we will have the same amount of unique costumes in platinum stars as we have in im@s 2/ofa in 7/8 months (could be the other way around). Even if it's a new costume every 2 months we'll have almost as many as im@s 2/ofa in a year.

And again: i agree, there are several things to complain about in this game, but complaining about what we get for the DL lives is just... On top of that i still expect them to release meatier dlc further down the line, akin to the ex episodes in ofa, which could help to alleviate a lot of the other issues.

And honestly in a lot of the criticism there is based on double standards. Technically the game is over after the extreme live, and up to that point, there is no grinding, the randomness of the rewards doesn't really matter and the low variety in costumes isn't perceived as such because you constantly keep changing to better costumes up to that point. In OfA people were complaining about "why is there not trophy to get to 5 hearts" "why is there no trophy to reach max level" "why is there no trophy to get all songs to gold" and so on. Namco listened and added such trophies, and now people are complaining about the grinding they have to do to get them... You can't do it right for everyone.

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 12:36:34 AM »
I like to think we're allowed to say bad things of what we've reservations with. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As it stands, this model is indeed different to how content was distributed in iM@S2 and OfA -- even while Mobage had done this similar, PS is a major console release. I'm very well aware it's Namco, but this is especially scummy when you consider probabilites.

I mean, nobody can tell me to not feel sour as the lack of floor percentages go. I also feel that the first DL Live has indeed set unrealistic expectations, since Namco marketed it as a one-time-shot for something fancy. Something nobody else could probably get.

Kind of misleading from that point, if you ask me.

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 01:10:45 AM »
I also feel that the first DL Live has indeed set unrealistic expectations, since Namco marketed it as a one-time-shot for something fancy. Something nobody else could probably get.

Kind of misleading from that point, if you ask me.

It was? Where? You are the first person i've seen saying that they thought the first DL live was the only one. Everyone else was expecting the DL lives to continue on a regular basis, maybe only one per month, but where is the downside of having 3 a month (unless you want every last item in the game for some reason)? From what i have seen most people were thinking "so they want to keep people playing this game for a long time by using the DL lives" when they read about the first one.

I think you were just reading/interpreting things incorrectly and jumped to conclusions.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2016, 01:43:42 AM »
It was? Where? You are the first person i've seen saying that they thought the first DL live was the only one. Everyone else was expecting the DL lives to continue on a regular basis, maybe only one per month, but where is the downside of having 3 a month (unless you want every last item in the game for some reason)? From what i have seen most people were thinking "so they want to keep people playing this game for a long time by using the DL lives" when they read about the first one.

I think you were just reading/interpreting things incorrectly and jumped to conclusions.

You aren't helping your case.

I'll name some very valid reasons why you'd want the entire available item set.

Cataloging (Which is what I do, but fortunately I'm more or less it), Video creation, M@D/Mixtape creation, and other derivative works.

You know, the little things that keep the presence of im@s on niconico a thing. Which in turn drives the entire fanbase.

How DL lives are going to pan out by math is a very important point, and as people do the math (even subconsciously or by instinct) a LOT of them are going to abandon any attempt of using PS as part of their production, even though by any definition of the word, PS is a significant improvement over OFA!

Like I said, based off the math and what data I can collect, short of you winning the lottery, you're expected to do 84 hours of live play PER DL live to stand even odds on getting all the accessories.

You could argue you can cherry pick (not all accessories are the same of course) but you STILL have to play the gauntlet - you can't pick which accessories you GET FIRST! If there is, please let us know, because any attempts to rig the present drops would be VERY useful right now.

If your counter argument is 'Well, you can pay for p-drops to do that' the counter reply is 'No you can't, because even if you skip the step of making a gold present drop, you are running a 1/6 (Assuming you don't get glitched and get a random E-F costume or accessory) chance of getting one, because you cannot force more than 1 gold present drop even IF you use 200 p-drops (Which is I might add 60x 3 at 5k yen each + we'll say 20 x1 at say 1 for 2k yen) to do so!

(And to add further insult to injury, it's entirely possible (if relatively unlikely) that 200 p-drops (Which is the maximum) will result in NO gold present dropping period.)

The game (as it isn't an artificial AI) can't tell if you're in it for MAD, cataloging, or just to enjoy the selection, which means it can't pick who to grace with luck (and I mean it in the absolute sense of the word) because of the lack of a floor (because previous performance does not affect future performance).

In short?

Decent design - incredibly bad execution, because they assumed the fanbase would play the game to infinity lives. It's incredibly bad design, because even the likes of ACTUAL slot machines (Which I might add are gambling in every sense of the world) are actually coded to be within 0.0001% within a million spins (depending where in the world you are) with a predefined payout percentage.

That's never going to happen, and unlike actual slot machines (or your average MMO) your average PS player isn't going to get remotely close to infinity (or even a thousand or so) lives in 6 months, and I'd say the median won't even do more than a few hundred.

In short? One standard deviation of unlucky is going to adversely affect the quality of gameplay. Your rough gameplay times to get one DL live unlocked will increase by roughly 33% (on a 84 hour expected, that's only another what, 28 hours of gameplay.)

Sounds okay, until you realise that one deviation is roughly 25% of the entire fanbase by definition of statistics. The second deviation will encompass about 35% or so.

In short? If I'm the median (as based off my numbers) you're expected to do 100 hours of lives to unlock just one of the DL lives' accessory set if you fall into that band..

Don't know about you, but if I heard 100 hours of im@s songs, I don't want to do it in all in one sitting, without eating, sleeping or doing anything else.

Of course if you don't do it all in one sitting (Like anyone who needs sleep, for instance doesn't) you're expected to do so over say a few months.

Then you realize that there's another 11 of them you need to do it for.

Yeah, I think they vastly overshot the expectations of anything close to 'complete' to some number they didn't really think about, probably because they didn't read the number out loud and actually thought about what that actually requires.

Which in turn actually hurts the derivative works, which in turn hurts its niconico presence and fan participation.

Basically, you're looking at it from a purely consumptive, as opposed to derivative, perspective. Derivative works is where the design has knock on consequences, and due to how it works, well, you can't pick who gets lucky and who doesn't, and expecting them all to spend hundreds of thousands of yen on something on bad odds of happening? (And they're not good, due to the aforementioned DL live bug)

Most of them will quit, because most of them (and us) don't have an expectation of winning the lottery.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:50:55 AM by Setsuna »
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.