Username: Password:

Author Topic: Meaning of names.  (Read 4295 times)

Yui

• Producer
  • Presenting Pisces Yui!
    • View Profile
Meaning of names.
« on: November 12, 2015, 07:17:05 AM »
Hi there!
I've been wondering about something. Would be a good idea to put the meaning of the characters name? For example:

天海春香 Amami Haruka: "AMA" is for heaven, "MI" for sea (UMI), "HARU" for spring and "KA" for scent (KAORI).

That's the only one I know. I thinking about that just for curiosity.

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of names.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »
i'll just add Yukiho then:
萩原雪歩:
萩 - "hagi" means "bush clover"
原 - "hara/wara" is a field/plain/meadow
together as 萩原 (also read as "hagihara") is listed as "reedy field" in dictionaries, i don't really have an idea what that means though since i'm not native english. I guess it's a meadow or something covered in clover.
雪 - "yuki" means "snow" as most of you probably know
歩 - "ho" means "walk" or "step"

In general you can just enter the name in kanji on jisho.org and it will list you the kanji meaning of the kanji on the right side

As a little bonus 2 interesting names:
響 - "hibiki" means "echo"
双海 - "futami" consists of "futa" for "pair" and "mi" for "sea". As another interesting tidbit about the name: 双子 - "futago", with the second kanji meaning "child", means "twins"

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »
In traditional Japanese, the third month (March) is called Yayoi. That's always how I've thought Yayoi got her name, on top of it being a rather common name for girls.

Maka

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »
No, because most Japanese names are picked for sound and not a deep hidden meaning.

Saying that Chihaya's name is made up of the characters for thousand and fast doesn't really add any information. The Aikatsu wiki does this and it drives me crazy. Like, not every name has to mean something. And most of the time they don't mean anything. Most English wikis don't do stuff like "well Bob is short for Robert which was derived from Hrodebert meaning bright fame".

Adding something like "the Yuki in Yukiho's name means snow" is good, because it's thematically tied to her, but breaking down the names by kanji on every idol just seems like something that would be wasted space.

People going "BUT WHAT DO THE NAMES MEAN" is kind of my pet peeve so that's why I'm so against it, lol.

If it's a meaningful name, sure, but very few idolmaster girls have meaningful names.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
The Aikatsu wiki does this and it drives me crazy.

To be fair, in Aikatsu, a lot of the names they have given the characters have some kind of meaning that they play with throughout the series. Such as Mizuki being the "beautiful moon" and Ichigo being a "star". There's more, but this particular example avoids spoilers. I'm fairly certain these naming conventions aren't a coincidence.

And then to a more broad point, in a lot of fictional contexts like anime and games, a lot of characters are given names with deeper meanings. Not every series does, but there are some that do. Angel Beats is a good one.

Leon definitely feels like one of these characters. Other than that though, I don't think many of the idolm@ster character names have a lot of deep meaning.
Well, maybe Eve Santa Claus

Maka

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »
Man, I was salty in that original post. I guess waking up early does that to you? Nah, I think it's fine to deconstruct names. I have fun doing it too. :P

But anyways, most of the deeper meanings are listed in trivia for the characters (ie Miki + stars), or if it's just in a song (like believe my change, where they keep talking about wings AKA TSUBASA SEE WHAT THEY DID THERE), under the trivia there.

re: aikatsu then there's characters like Hinaki where her name doesn't really mean a ton but... The meaning is still listed... Even though her name is spelled in hiragana...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:55:08 PM by Maka »

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 04:59:03 PM »
re: aikatsu then there's characters like Hinaki where her name doesn't really mean a ton but... The meaning is still listed... Even though her name is spelled in hiragana...

Okay this is slightly unforgivable. w

Yui

• Producer
  • Presenting Pisces Yui!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 12:17:40 AM »
i'll just add Yukiho then:
萩原雪歩:
萩 - "hagi" means "bush clover"
原 - "hara/wara" is a field/plain/meadow
together as 萩原 (also read as "hagihara") is listed as "reedy field" in dictionaries, i don't really have an idea what that means though since i'm not native english. I guess it's a meadow or something covered in clover.
雪 - "yuki" means "snow" as most of you probably know
歩 - "ho" means "walk" or "step"

In general you can just enter the name in kanji on jisho.org and it will list you the kanji meaning of the kanji on the right side

As a little bonus 2 interesting names:
響 - "hibiki" means "echo"
双海 - "futami" consists of "futa" for "pair" and "mi" for "sea". As another interesting tidbit about the name: 双子 - "futago", with the second kanji meaning "child", means "twins"

Oh, thanks. For Yukiho, I only knew the YUKI part. xD
As for Hibiki, that's the same with Hibiki (Suite Precure).

In traditional Japanese, the third month (March) is called Yayoi. That's always how I've thought Yayoi got her name, on top of it being a rather common name for girls.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. BlazBlue go with that too.
As for Leon, I was kinda like "It's a trap, like Ryo. There's no way a woman could be named Leon". And I got a poker face after mistaking it. I didn't know about kanjis for Leon. I though it was an european name.

Man, I was salty in that original post. I guess waking up early does that to you? Nah, I think it's fine to deconstruct names. I have fun doing it too. :P

But anyways, most of the deeper meanings are listed in trivia for the characters (ie Miki + stars), or if it's just in a song (like believe my change, where they keep talking about wings AKA TSUBASA SEE WHAT THEY DID THERE), under the trivia there.

Oh, I see.
Anyway, I didn't watched Aikatsu, but other series that play with that stuff is Touhou. And there's Precure too.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:57:48 AM by Yui »

Nayre

• Haisai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 12:54:20 AM »
No, because most Japanese names are picked for sound and not a deep hidden meaning.

Rofl, facepalmed cuz I remembered back then I always thought if I ever had Japanese daughter, I'd name her Akemi just cause I liked how it sounds and looks in words. XDD

Hold up... *ctrl-f searches Akemi on CG page*

Awww. :/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:01:46 AM by Nayre »

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 01:15:33 AM »
May not fit onto here, but would it be safe to say that Roco Handa's given name is based on the Rococo period of history?

I think this would make sense since the Rococo was an era in France's history where art was focused on representation of the leisurely activities of the upper class.

It would seem fitting for Roco to get her name from such a fancy point in art history, no?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Yui

• Producer
  • Presenting Pisces Yui!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »
May not fit onto here, but would it be safe to say that Roco Handa's given name is based on the Rococo period of history?

I think this would make sense since the Rococo was an era in France's history where art was focused on representation of the leisurely activities of the upper class.

It would seem fitting for Roco to get her name from such a fancy point in art history, no?

I wouldn't say "safe", but with "some probability with no intention at same time", like Leon. That's because there's kanji for her name, and therefore a japanese concept. But what you mentioned matches her personality. And I mentioned Leon because her name have kanjis as well, but at the same time is a greek name, meaning lion (and she has a skill called Lion's Roar).

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »
Think I remember hearing that the original idols had names that had something to do with ships or naval history. I dunno about that, but I've seen more than a few trains or train stations bearing the same names as some of the idols.

So meh. Instead of breaking down the names (which only have meaning if the writers feel like it), I'll just go over things that bear the same names as the idols, right down to the kanji unless I say otherwise. Happy coincidence time, go.

The Azusa (and the Super Azusa) is a train line that runs from Shinjuku to Matsumoto.
The Miura Peninsula just south of Tokyo is the location of the National Defense Academy of Japan. It also houses naval bases for the Japanese Marine Self Defense Force, and for the American Seventh Fleet (in Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture). Commodore Perry also landed here (in Uraga, Kanagawa Prefecture) with his gunboats to try to get Japan to modernize.
Takatsuki Station is a stop in Takatsuki, Osaka Prefecture. It sits between Kyoto and Osaka on the JR Osaka Line.
Amami... pronounced another way is Tenkai, a Buddhist monk who advised the Tokugawa shogunate (also known as Nankoubou Tenkai). Video game fiction writers have a heyday painting him as Akechi Mitsuhide, who they say started a new life as a monk after losing the Battle of Yamazaki. (Look it up though, very significant battle.)
Chihaya Station is a train station along the JR Kagoshima Line, between Kokura and Fukuoka.
The Chihaya was also an old cruiser active in the very early 1900's.
And to add to the apparent obsession with this name, Chihaya Castle was also a castle in present day Osaka Prefecture. It was besieged in 1333, in a power struggle against the Emperor and the Hojo clan. It currently does not exist, but you can at least go up Mount Kongou, which it was built on.
The Haruka (no kanji, just hiragana) is a train line running from Maibara Station, all the way out to Kansai International.
Yayoi (with the kanji 弥生) is a time period in Japanese history (from 300 BC to 300 AD), the traditional name for March, and a Mutsuki-class destroyer active in the early half of the 1900's which was sunk in World War II by American forces.
The Kisaragi was also a Mutsuki-class destroyer, named after the traditional name for February. Also sunk by American forces in World War II.
The Akidzuki was yet another destroyer that served after the Yayoi and Kisaragi. Unsurprisingly, it was an Akidzuki-class destroyer. Sunk in the Pacific Theater, World War II.
Shijou Station is a local train station in Kyoto, as a stop on the Karasuma Line on the Kyoto Subway. There is also a Gion-Shijou Station in the same city, on the Keihan Line.
Shijou is also the name of an emperor of Japan.
The Hibiki was a Fubuki-class destroyer active during World War II. It was surrendered to Russia after Japan's loss, and ultimately scrapped after some years of service.
Hagiwara Station is a lonely little station out in Ichinomiya, Aichi Prefecture. There's another run by a private train line in Kita-Kyuushuu, Fukuoka Prefecture, and a Hida-Hagiwara Station in on the JR Takayama Line in Gero, Gifu Prefecture.
Minase Station... spelled a little differently (水無瀬, with an extra kanji in the middle) is a train stop between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka Stations along the Hankyu Kyoto Line.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:15:14 PM by Cael K. »
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

chihayacutie

• Greenhorn
  • fufufu~
    • View Profile
    • twitter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 03:41:18 PM »
Think I remember hearing that the original idols had names that had something to do with ships or naval history.

Wow, this could have been KanColle before KanColle existed. lel
Is this a common thing to name characters after transportation or places?

Nakiame

• Hibike, Hibiki!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 04:22:47 PM »
Is this a common thing to name characters after transportation or places?
I'd say it's more commen to name places after characters, therefore alot of places have the same names as people.

liza94

• Producer
  • Fan of Chihaya (Asami Imai & Kaori Shimizu)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 09:54:38 PM »

I've known about the Kisaragi ship but not about the others: