Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tokyo Game Show 2010 9/18 Incident Fifth Anniversary Discussion  (Read 6137 times)

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
Re: Tokyo Game Show 2010 9/18 Incident Fifth Anniversary Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 04:31:32 PM »
IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR THOSE ATTENDING

Due to scheduling conflicts that involve next weekend, the 9/18 Fifth Anniversary Discussion date will change from September 12th to TBA.

My family has been planning on going to New York and the tentative date is September 11th-13th; however, we're trying to see if everyone's schedules will be flexible, as I have other plans for that day. Thus the discussion will be put on hiatus until further notice.

I apologize to those attending that this is occurring and will keep you all posted here on this thread when further details arise, potentially with a new date.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 09:44:07 PM »
IMPORTANT UPDATE

The scheduling conflicts have been resolved! The date of the discussion is back on track for September 12th at 8:00PM EST!

Apologizes for the prior issues but everything should be getting a better move on from here on out.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 02:40:00 AM »
REMINDER

As a reminder for those wishing to attend, the deadline for giving me your confirmation is September 10, 2015 at 11:59PM EST, which is tomorrow. However, do note that this is US Eastern Standard Time, my personal time zone. Do not cheat and say on 11:59PM that "it's 8:00 here" as it will not be accepted.

You can confirm your presence by either sending me a PM via Project-iM@S or adding me as a contact and messaging me your attendance confirmation on Skype to kryptoncrusher.net, my Skype ID. Either way, I will need your Skype ID and to know that you can voice chat as the discussion will happen on Skype.

The group will be formed on September 11th and a test call will occur where I will test our setup and record audio to find a suitable way to get the audio going for the discussion.

Remember, the deadline for confirmation of attendance is September 10, 2015 at 11:59PM EST. I need to know how many people in total will be attending ASAP. Thank you and have a great day.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 11:55:49 PM »
Here's a recording test I did with Scotty and Virgofall.

https://youtu.be/BvS0vwNe-10

Don't mind the slight echo, I'll hopefully fix that issue come the actual discussion.

Also, image is kinda.....sorta.....maybe NSFW? I dunno, but it's kinda lewd, all things considered.

The recording starts tomorrow at 8PM EST and the video should be uploaded either that day, Sunday, or on September 18th itself.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 03:38:23 AM »
Are you all using headphones instead of speakers? The echo could be due to someone's microphone picking up the sound of the call; switching to headphones would alleviate that. ;)

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2015, 05:28:05 AM »
Are you all using headphones instead of speakers?
I use headphones exclusively, so...

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 05:29:00 AM »
I use a microphone, but I don't have headphones, so.....
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 06:19:19 AM »
I guess that MetalPredat0r doesn't really need headphones. If the echo is caused by his setup it would only be heard by Virgofall and Scotty so it wouldn't show up in the recording (but the echo may still be distracting to Virgofall and Scotty). However, if Scotty is using speakers, then Virgofall and MetalPredat0r would hear an echo and that echo would show up in the recording. It's also possible that the echo is due to something else entirely, but I can't think of anything else that would cause it.

Here's another suggestion: It might be a good idea for all three of you to try to record the discussion. If something goes wrong with MetalPredat0r's recording then you'll have a backup or two.

However, the most important thing is that you have a good discussion. Don't postpone this or be distracted because of my technical suggestions. :)

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 07:42:41 PM »
Well guys, after over an entire month of planning, it's finally done. The 9/18 5th Anniversary discussion featuring myself, Virgofall, and Scotty is now live on YouTube on my channel.

https://youtu.be/eIEg0I4mnco

I'd like to thank Scotty and Virgofall for joining me in this discussion. It was a great experience talking to them and discussing iM@S in such a manner and I can't wait to have any sort of future discussions with them or really anybody else around here.

I hope you all enjoy this lengthy discussion as it certainly was not easy editing, rendering, and processing the whole thing. But I feel all that hard work was certainly worth it.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »
Well done. Worth the 1 hour, 12 minutes spent, even if the audio's a bit quiet at certain parts.

I agree with Scotty's and everyone else's opinion of how boring IDOLM@STER 2 was as a game. I wonder how Namco thinks that putting certain questionable story parts are such a good idea. OFA didn't help with the repetitiveness.

Behold! The Yarn Yoshi Army!

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 11:30:49 PM »
It was fascinating to learn more about this incident. Must have been difficult to take the stage after the audience went silent.

Thanks for taking the time to have this discussion and share it with us, guys!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 03:09:10 AM by altuixde »

mariokirby

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 02:39:12 AM »
First, I would like to thank Arturo, Scotty, and Lemon for sharing their discussion with us.  You guys are pretty good at talking, which is a great skill to have. (I’m not a very good talker as you seen in our gaming sessions).

Most of the information presented I already knew except for some facts about Yukiho’s old VA.  (They discuss how she quit due to various events such as car accidents/death threats/involved in real life gravure works, etc.)   It was enlightening to hear everyone’s view point.  I agree with most of the opinions, and you guys are pretty knowledgeable about the idolm@ster franchise.  That being said, there are two points I would like to give my input on. 

I apologize if I misunderstood some of you guys’ viewpoints. 

1. Jupiter

Compared to the audience in TGS 2010, this group didn’t hate them completely.  I guess to simplify it they felt Jupiter came at the wrong place and time (especially since Ryuuguu Komachi was separated from the main cast). 

My opinion on Jupiter is very positive due to personal preferences (their bullying towards 765pro was due to Kuroi's lies, so actually they're nice guys).  I developed a preference for cool male characters.  While I like the visual novel appeal in these gal games, I‘m not a big fan on how the main protagonist is usually kind of lame.   It’s common in games like idolm@ster and other visual novels where the male protagonist stands in the sidelines while the girls do all the action. 

That’s why I appreciated Jupiter.  They were males that took part in the action (in this case performing idol training and activities).   It made them cool, and I often wish the anonymous protagonist had those qualities (I would be more open to Chihaya x Producer relationship if the producer was talented like Jupiter).  (For example, like what if the producer was secretly an idol in-training?  It sounds stupid, but you get the point).

2. Idolm@ster 2 story

I never played the previous games like Idolm@ster 1, Live for You, or SP (but I played Im@s 2 and OFA).  I only played Chihaya’s route in Im@s 2 (my twin played Miki’s route).  So, I’m not familiar with the other characters’ route.  I also don’t know Japanese, but I read some translations for Chihaya’s route.

The group mentioned the Im@s 2 story was boring and weird at some points.  I can’t comment about this for the other idols since I never played their routes.  However, I did play Chihaya’s route, and I don’t think it was that boring.  (Of course, there are things I would like to change about it like having a producer that was cool like Jupiter and adding more scenes to make the story more complete).   But, I felt Chihaya losing her voice and having a difficult past made it an interesting story especially when the producers single-handily helps her overcome it.  Not only that, there’s one choice where the producer answers “I love her” which basically illustrates his happiness is Chihaya’s happiness.  (It would be interesting to see Chihaya helping the producer with his past but that’s another stupid idea I came up with).

Another point the group made was they thought it was weird at the end of Chihaya’s route to see a blue bird which was understood that her little brother literally was reincarnated into a bird.  I guess I could agree on that point that it was a little weird.  But, I think the scene could be interpreted differently as the bird represents Chihaya past that was caged and not free.  And her little brother’s voice was all in the producer’s/Chihaya’s head.  I mean it’s common for dead people to talk in anime.   That interpretation (which is what I thought of when playing the game) seems a little less weird, but the point is that the routes could have been worked on some more to make them better.

@Scotty

I love your passion for Kuroi and your sense of humor with him.  Please, keep it up and live up to his name.  It was nice having an older fan who played the games. 

@Lemon

Thanks for coming.  It was nice having an additional person besides Scotty who played the games.  (Arturo is forgiven since he doesn’t have much money).   

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:50:46 PM by mariokirby »

Scotty

• 961Pro President
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • Kuroi Shachou
    • View Profile
    • G+ iDOLM@STER Community
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 04:20:16 AM »

The group mentioned the Im@s 2 story was boring and weird at some points.  I can’t comment about this for the other idols since I never played their routes.  However, I did play Chihaya’s route, and I don’t think it was that boring.  (Of course, there are things I would like to change about it like having a producer that was cool like Jupiter and adding more scenes to make the story more complete).   But, I felt Chihaya losing her voice and having a difficult past made it an interesting story especially when the producers single-handily helps her overcome it.  Not only that, there’s one choice where the producer answers “I love her” which basically illustrates his happiness is Chihaya’s happiness.  (It would be interesting to see Chihaya helping the producer with his past but that’s another stupid idea I came up with).

Another point the group made was they thought it was weird at the end of Chihaya’s route to see a blue bird which was understood that her little brother literally was reincarnated into a bird.  I guess I could agree on that point that it was a little weird.  But, I think the scene could be interpreted differently as the bird represents Chihaya past that was caged and not free.  And her little brother’s voice was all in the producer’s/Chihaya’s head.  I mean it’s common for dead people to talk in anime.   That interpretation (which is what I thought of when playing the game) seems a little less weird, but the point is that the routes could have been worked on some more to make them better.

@Scotty

I love your passion for Kuroi and your sense of humor with him.  Please, keep it up and live up to his name.  It was nice having an older fan who played the games. 

I actually never had a problem with how 'weird' the story got in 2. SP had some extremely crazy and wacky Dramas as DLC. I like it when imas gets weird. I just didn't want to give my input on that. Didn't want to hog the limelight too much!

And don't worry. I'll always be a brash, charismatic member of these forums. Kuroi wills it.

Nayre

• Haisai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »
Thanks a lot for sharing this!  It was very interesting hearing about these events from a different point of view.  You guys have lovely voices!  ;)
So here are some of my thoughts as well:

I also agree that it was mainly due to the members of Ryuugu Komachi being excluded from the main cast at the time that the reception of Jupiter wasn't well received.  You take away 4 of the main idols that have been there since the beginning who each have their own fan following, for 3 new dudes who, at first glance, appear like "edgy dickwads", of course heads will roll.  No timing could've have been worse than that.

I like how Scotty brought up how it's not only the cultural differences at play, but also the gender differences of idol fans in Japan vs US and comparing their behavior to 1D or Justin Bieber worshippers.  I have a sister who is a huge fan of 1D, so I've had some exposure to this.  And I'm just gonna say, though I'm not speaking for all of them(thankfully my sis isn't this crazy), 1D fangirls can be pretty extreme as well.  Think it would be wise not to mess with them...

I also liked how you guys briefly talked about VAs, particulary Yurina and her unfortunate withrawal from the franchise.  I've always been curious to hear what people thought about the sudden VA switch, especially the Yukiho fans.  Personally, I always preferred her old voice.  It resonated well with her character, and I especially liked that whispery softness it had to it.  Though Azumin's is alright too!  Any YukihoPs here who've been around since then wanna share their feelings/reactions toward the switch?  I'd like to know how it impacted(if at all) your love towards your fav idol.

Anyways, great job guys!  I feel like I got a lot out of this discussion and I even enjoyed it as well.  Definitely liked.  XD

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 09:06:55 PM »
Today is officially 9/18's fifth anniversary.

Thank you all for enjoying the discussion! I really wanted it to be the best that it can possibly be and I am glad that you all liked it.

I want to do more discussions like this in the future as I had a very good time recording this with Virgo and Scotty (although not so much editing and rendering it XD).

Now let's all wait for later tonight for the TGS 2015 iM@S stream and see if the future is in good shape.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator