puppies-volcanic
Username: Password:

Author Topic: RIAJ impact on Youtube  (Read 2084 times)

JNiles

• Producer
  • Gimme a hug
    • View Profile
RIAJ impact on Youtube
« on: May 18, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
So it seems.  It says your account has been terminated for multiple third-party claims of copyright infringement.  Did you get an explanation afterward, and did you have any strikes?

Byuusan

• View Profile
Re: RIAJ impact on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 05:27:22 PM »
Apparently struck the same video, twice, which dumbfounds me b/c that pretty much means if you have 1 video that hit, that 1 video can get you all 3 strikes. Eitherway for obv reason i won't challenge it. I finally manage to get into old account but atm im trying to figure out a way to keep the 2 account seperated b/c i have to change google+ account :/

Edit: You know maybe i just won't deal with Youtube anymore it a bitch to deal with now. I might just stop all together or start uploading on Nico Douga, it really acceepting for Idolmaster stuff. Although i would be dealing with a huge fan base in that site plus not being known at all. Oh well that the life i live in.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:50:42 PM by Byuusan »

Maka

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 07:13:52 PM »
I got seven emails the other day regarding a single idolmaster video, so yeah, yt is a bag of poop. :/

liza94

• Producer
  • Fan of Chihaya (Asami Imai & Kaori Shimizu)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:28:33 PM »
Apparently struck the same video, twice, which dumbfounds me b/c that pretty much means if you have 1 video that hit, that 1 video can get you all 3 strikes. Eitherway for obv reason i won't challenge it. I finally manage to get into old account but atm im trying to figure out a way to keep the 2 account seperated b/c i have to change google+ account :/

Edit: You know maybe i just won't deal with Youtube anymore it a bitch to deal with now. I might just stop all together or start uploading on Nico Douga, it really acceepting for Idolmaster stuff. Although i would be dealing with a huge fan base in that site plus not being known at all. Oh well that the life i live in.

Yes, NicoNico seems the best option... If you make an account there, make your videos watchable from Nicozon so I will be able to watch them, please!  :D

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
I think you better off stopping requests all together. Now looking back at it, I feel that it's practically pointless to make videos for people who have no idea how expensive and tedious it is to get the items, record, and upload. And also, Youtube is absolutely dumb with its copyright policies. I got a copyright note just because I had music playing in my video that's copyrighted. I countered it of course. I feel that's the reason why Setsuna made such a rule.

As for Niconico, it's better than Youtube in some ways, but it's not anything better and registering an account there isn't hard. Fans aren't really going to bash you in Niconico so don't worry about it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:46:50 PM by ChocoCats »

Behold! The Yarn Yoshi Army!

Byuusan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 08:31:54 PM »
for those interested of what im doing. It on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLjeel4GK3Q&feature=youtu.be

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »
NicoNicoDouga's uploading ruleset:

It'll cost you 540 yen a month to get access to this -

File Size
    The video upload file size for recommended video formats (*1) is raised to 100MB(40MB for free members).
Resolution / Bitrate
    No resolution limit (Free Members are limited to 1280x720), no limit in bitrate (Free Members are limited to 600Kbps).
Video Upload Storage
    Premium Members receive 8GB of upload space and +1GB for every month they continue their Premium Membership (*2)(Free Members are limited to 2GB no extra)
Priority Upload
    Get priority when uploading during peak traffic hours (7pm to 2am).

For a bit of perspective, at a 100MB/video assuming 2 minutes and 15 seconds, you're looking at an effective bitrate cap of about 8mbit for the video and audio.

For even more perspective, youtube runs at about 4.5mbit on their 720p videos, last I checked.

Edit - cause I can't do math at 3am when I first replied Megabit  != Megabyte - This is acceptable as far as I'm concerned, but not great, as long as all videos remain short, but you'll have to remember to reencode everything exactly to their specs, so you can't get lazy. The rest of the critique remains.

For a note - I encode at 30mbit, so my standards are much higher, and nico will only do downconversion (for the purposes of their free/subscribed difference). You definitely don't want to run beyond about 10 minutes, because that WILL take you into streaming territory (Sub 1mbit).

Also note that you are effectively capped at 10 videos per month, due to the fact that a premium account will only 'grow' by 1GB per month.

Of course you could make videos smaller, but that will hurt the quality further.

Then of course there's the peak time restrictions on your viewers and the quality degrading (Can't view the original source video so no matter what you do unless you subscribe, most people will see an even more significant quality drop), but that will be up to the user to pay for.

The advantage (?) is that they are headquartered in Japan, so consequently, NBGI would be subject to the same risks as the main community (And are consequently less likely to nail you with a notice, since it gets messy really really quick.)

In balance? I don't think Nico is good for more than a stopgap, mostly due to the video cap, unless some people can live with 10 videos a month.

As well, Maka, could you PM me the contents of those notices? I need to check something.

Edit: My calculations were off when I first attended to this at 3am.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:13:04 PM by Setsuna »
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 11:03:44 PM »
For those who are wondering - Byuu has requested that the conversation be purged from his thread, and considering how it is used for request information, I have granted his request.

As well, the title change is  because we have discovered who the party requesting the takedowns is.

They are the Recording  Industry of Japan.

For those who don't know, they are one of the sister organisation the RIAA, and they use similar tactics. That should tell you leaps and bounds about how they operate.

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Maka

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 07:01:02 PM »
I actually have a question regarding this- do we know what videos are being targeted? I haven't gotten any strikes on imas gameplay/stage vids, only imas music. Obviously the ones in the restriction thread are out of bounds, but I guess what I'm asking is... How do I avoid strikes?

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 07:32:22 PM »
There's two options:

1. Delete the affected video and the rest related to that video.
2. Counterstrike the affected video.

Sums up my feelings towards the stupid copyright abuses by Youtube and other DMCA companies.

Behold! The Yarn Yoshi Army!

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 01:01:00 AM »
There's two options:

1. Delete the affected video and the rest related to that video.
2. Counterstrike the affected video.

Sums up my feelings towards the stupid copyright abuses by Youtube and other DMCA companies.

It is incredibly unlikely you'd be able to keep that up for very long. I should know, I fended off an actual lawsuit from them.

There are a few workable defenses from a legal standpoint (Standing, fair use due to excerpts although to prove this one requires a very specific argument) but the RIAJ (and other entities) ARE operating in the course of the law, and as much as we'd like to say 'Yeah, they keep banning what we want to watch for free', they do actually have the right to say 'No you don't, because we reserve the right to charge you for it'.

Now, the correct response from the consumer should be 'If you want to charge us for it, then screw you, we're not buying, hope you like bankruptcy', but the common response actually is 'Screw this charge, I'll just swipe a copy instead, screw laws.'

So take that one as you will. I tend to be (yes, even in the face of the lawsuits) rather neutral when it comes to the topic.

My concern is that the RIAJ doesn't really have standing, but I still have trouble trying to determine when NBGI (or Sony) granted rights to the organisation for a carpet cache blanc 'Do whatever you deem necessary' authority for all im@s music.

It's surprisingly difficult to prove, unless you have a lot of money.