puppies-volcanic
Username: Password:

Author Topic: THE iDOLM@STER Virtual Reality  (Read 4123 times)

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛いさは正義!
    • View Profile
THE iDOLM@STER Virtual Reality
« on: April 10, 2015, 03:00:41 AM »
In 2014 before OFA was released there were some Virtual Reality demos where people could look around the office using Sony's Project Morpheus Headset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzIR7S_bg-U

If VR were added to a future iM@S title or spin off how would you react? What ways would you like to see VR used?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:02:54 AM by Okayu »

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: THE iDOLM@STER Virtual Reality
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 03:53:02 AM »
VR is a difficult medium for a game like iDOLM@STER.

One of the problems with VR is having a frame rate that feels as if we are in our natural world, something I'm not sure iDOLM@STER will be able to handle perfectly. (Sure the demo looks pretty OK, but it still looks a little nauseating, I actually had to stop watching)

Furthermore, I'm not sure where it would work in the current game play of iDOLM@STER. Sure, we could pretend to be closer to our idols, but without a "touching" mechanism (think back to Arcade era) it's not going to feel quite that real.

There was hinting at another arcade release of iDOLM@STER. Maybe one of those first person dome thingies is in order.

SideM

• Greenhorn
  • We are PSYCHO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 05:20:19 AM »
I think VR could be cool for a spin off rhythm or dancing game. Maybe where instead of being the producer, you're an idol and you perform along with the others. It could be like an idol experience where you go through their practice minigames and publicity things. I'm not sure how the visual stat would work, but a karaoke minigame and maybe a Just Dance-style follow the leader dance could be used. The publicity would probably be similar to the games where there are preset choices on how to react. It'd probably have to be much less rigid than the original games to give people the chance to learn the songs and dances though.

I just really like the thought of being fully immersed in the iM@S world, on stage with all the other idols in front of millions of (virtual) fans singing and dancing. I'd finally get the chance to live my dream of being a super famous performer :P

This would probably be better suited to not-VR though, and I'm not sure many would be interested in this either. The idols are supposed to be the main selling point after all. And after rereading all of this, it seems less like a game and more like lots of work :-\
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:23:17 AM by SideM »

Maka

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:36:44 AM »
My idea for a VR concept would be being in the audience of a live. You could look at the idols as they danced and wave your penlights or whatever.

Saturos

• Producer
  • Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »
>dancing with other idols
>Can do Go My Way, Koi wo hajimeyou, taiyou no jealousy

Sign me up
MAKO MAKO RIIIIIIIIIN!!

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 05:05:50 PM »
Gonna be honest, I don't have very high hopes for VR in general. Something tells me that VR is eventually gonna go the way of motion controls. It'll be huge when it comes out, but it'll slowly lose its momentum until its eventually just a relic of its time period. I'm not saying VR is gonna be terrible and not succeed, I just don't feel its gonna last very long because, in the end, gamers just want to sit down and play games with a controller in hand, not put something on their head and pretend they're actually in the game. That's just what I think, anyway.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Steve

• Mirei <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 01:45:12 PM »
Hm, the biggest problem of the current VR move is the focus on motion detection and player movement, which is sadly going to fail as most people will get bored of it thanks to the one rule that goes for all gamers - they are lazy and don't want to move and those that do already have Wii (and still never use it).
A game like idolmaster where you just talk to girls, watch them dance in an immersive 3d space (and why not even have bath with them or watch them change clothes...or other things :O) could very nicely work, people can just lay in bed with a controller and a VR headset and lazily enjoy everything.
Or just idols sleeping next to you... yeah I can see myself spending hours watching them sleep xD

Accoun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »
Something tells me that VR is eventually gonna go the way of motion controls. It'll be huge when it comes out, but it'll slowly lose its momentum until its eventually just a relic of its time period.

No, not really. I'm not saying that it's "the future of video games" or something, but judging by what I hear from the simulation community, at worst it's going to be a niche thing, like TrackIR (which it seems it might replace). I'm pretty sure it will live, easily more than motion controls (hard not to) at the very least.

Also, PC version of iDOLM@STER, with SteamVR/Oculus/Morpheus/anything else support.
Believe!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:30:03 PM by Accoun »

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛いさは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 08:31:54 PM »
I've heard Sony's current prototype is pretty good at tracking, partly because it uses a camera to pick up lights on the device. The most praised demo is one where you move around a lot, but for something like imas I doubt you'd move much.