puppies-volcanic
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Guest posting and new moderator  (Read 6373 times)

Yunabeco

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Chihaya appreciator.
    • View Profile
    • Project-iM@S
Guest posting and new moderator
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:05:47 PM »
Hey folks,

Surprise to all, I have the privilege of welcoming Okayu on the global moderators team.
I'd say "get along" but I'm pretty sure you already have, since he's an active member of the community.
He has interesting input on the current state of the forum and wiki and how it could be made more user-friendly. You're probably going to notice a couple changes soon enough that head in this direction.

At the same time, in an effort to allow more input to come in, I've enabled guest posting on the forum. Depending on how this turns out, I may enable guest wiki editing in the near future.

I won't be locking this right away, so feel free to speak your mind here.

Cheers!

Oh, and he wasn't promoted because he was a Chihaya fan. Nope. Nuh-uh. Not at all.

EDIT (2015-03-07):
Guest posting has been authorized in the iM@S category (excluding request boards), and the Wiki Discussion board.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:07:27 PM by Yunabeco »
Wiki - CGdex (by Tsadi) - CG card catalog - Available most of the time on IRC @ #idolmaster@irc.rizon.net

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
Re: Guest posting and new moderator
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:27:23 PM »
Not quite a surprise, given his resourcefulness. Here's to fonder days to come -- and more to our Chihaya Revolution, just because. :3

In regards to guest posting, I'll have to reflect on this more. Wouldn't it be better for people to register so there's more involvement within the community?

Come to think of it, though, I personally don't find wiki guests a good idea; may leave the door wide open for vandals.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:34:24 PM by DeviantProtagonist »
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 12:13:23 AM »
I personally don't find wiki guests a good idea; may leave the door wide open for vandals.
I wouldn't worry about that. Sure, you might get vandalism, but the chances of that are pretty slim. This is neither a particularly large nor controversial wiki; no offense, but do you really think anyone would care enough to vandalize it, let alone have any reason to?

Besides, I think you're underestimating how lazy the typical internet user is. Making an account really doesn't take much effort, but it's a psychological barrier that would stop most people from making a minor contribution. "Oh, I can add this thing — I have to sign in? Ugh, fuck it, someone else will do it...". The same principle that keeps vandals away ends up having the same effect on potential contributors, too.

Of course, the pool of potential anonymous contributors probably isn't any bigger than the pool of potential vandals, but either way, what's the worst that can happen if the wiki is opened to guests? A vandal shows up, a few pages have to be rolled back to previous versions, it gets made users-only again, end of experiment. Why not give it a try?

Also, two captchas for guest posting? And name, and email? Damn, son, maybe it actually would be less work to sign up.

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛いさは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:25:01 AM »
Hello, I'm Okayu. Hope things go well. I'm not really sure what else to say

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:52 AM »
For having honest intentions, you'll do fine, Okayu.

I wouldn't worry about that. Sure, you might get vandalism, but the chances of that are pretty slim. This is neither a particularly large nor controversial wiki; no offense, but do you really think anyone would care enough to vandalize it, let alone have any reason to?

Besides, I think you're underestimating how lazy the typical internet user is. Making an account really doesn't take much effort, but it's a psychological barrier that would stop most people from making a minor contribution. "Oh, I can add this thing — I have to sign in? Ugh, fuck it, someone else will do it...". The same principle that keeps vandals away ends up having the same effect on potential contributors, too.

Of course, the pool of potential anonymous contributors probably isn't any bigger than the pool of potential vandals, but either way, what's the worst that can happen if the wiki is opened to guests? A vandal shows up, a few pages have to be rolled back to previous versions, it gets made users-only again, end of experiment. Why not give it a try?

Also, two captchas for guest posting? And name, and email? Damn, son, maybe it actually would be less work to sign up.

If there's anything for people to invest time into, there are those who'd want to break that norm -- it doesn't matter how trivial it is from the broader spectrum, that's just how the internet works -- trolls abound. In fairness this could be given the benefit of the doubt, especially with the idea that roll-backs are possible. We'd have to see how it pans out, then~.

In regards to registrations turning people away, that depends more on the person. I'd like to think the average user can get by a one-time process, namely if their commitment shows a hand. Overall, my thoughts are still tentative on the matter so as mentioned I'll reflect more. What I will give you, however, are the captchas. Found that a nuisance, myself. :P

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 01:00:31 AM »
Hello, I'm Okayu. Hope things go well. I'm not really sure what else to say

Congratulations on the promotion, man!

As for guest posting, this could end either one of two ways. Either this could open the doors for the forums' overall community to grow or it could open the gates of hell and create a massive surplus of sh*tposting. I'm personally completely open to the idea of guest posting and even guest editing (the amount of edits and contributions I want to make are growing....) as long as they can work out for the better.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 01:30:08 AM »
Congrats. Screw Chihaya though Getting f***ing sick of her

Please state the "changes to make the forum and wiki more user-friendly" more specifically. I'm curious.

Guest posting on the forums. That depends. Wiki, hell no.

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 03:44:01 AM »
I wouldn't liken it to the gates of hell so much as potential shitposting, as far as normal guest accounts go. Either way, moderation will need to be emphasized. As it is, the hell part would more than likely suffice with wiki guests.

Congrats. Screw Chihaya though Getting f***ing sick of her

Please state the "changes to make the forum and wiki more user-friendly" more specifically. I'm curious.

A little too hostile, there. Regardless, I'm also curious for the specifics since we're better off knowing.

JNiles

• Producer
  • Gimme a hug
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 05:00:56 AM »
I'm against guest posting.  I've had enough trouble across various forums with people who are brave enough to attach a name to an account, let alone anonymous posters.  It also makes it harder to follow a discussion when multiple guests are posting in the same thread.

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 05:06:36 AM »
I'm against guest posting.  I've had enough trouble across various forums with people who are brave enough to attach a name to an account, let alone anonymous posters.  It also makes it harder to follow a discussion when multiple guests are posting in the same thread.

Likewise on principle, but it sure would be nice if I were wrong. There've been a few spammers here.
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 05:24:18 AM »
Very valid points, actually. Anonymity is a big worry, but if we were to have multiple guests, how would we differentiate amongst them?

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 06:20:49 AM »
if we were to have multiple guests, how would we differentiate amongst them?

Guests must choose a name before posting. Anonymous (who posted earlier here) probably chose the name Anonymous, and I think that only someone with the email address that Anonymous provided can use the name Anonymous.

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:42:31 AM »
Quote from: JNiles
let alone anonymous posters
You callin' me a coward, buddy?

Quote from: altuixde
Anonymous probably chose the name
Yep. I didn't mean to cause any confusion; both a name and an email are required to post.

Quote from: altuixde
I think that only someone with the email address that Anonymous provided can use the name Anonymous.
If this post works, then that's not true. But how many guest posters do you think you're going to have?

Also, regarding spam, have you seen your captchas?

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »
uhhmm... that last part of the captacha...

liza94

• Producer
  • Fan of Chihaya (Asami Imai & Kaori Shimizu)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 02:21:56 PM »
I think allowing guests to post is a good idea. I've seen the member list and most of the accounts have one or two posts (or don't have any).