puppies-volcanic
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Formal notice of Resignation - All im@s related projects will cease.  (Read 3484 times)

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
I'll be making a formal request to step down after sitting on the decision for quite a while - I spent a good several months sick, then I decided to spend some significant time writing, since I wasn't in much of a position to do much else.

Of course, the summer here is scorching (Hello 40C heat) so I have to back away from everything just so I don't die but I figured I could force myself to at least write this, even if I suffer from heat stroke more often than not.

Once you spend enough time away, you tend to look back on the current state of things, and as much as I'm VERY tempted to quote a particular message I was sent (And I still can, if provoked) I'm not going to quote it... yet. It would be considered spiteful, even if rather instructive about how not to talk to someone, and how the message directly contributed to this decision.

I would also like to point out that the spiralling costs of im@s are crippling, particularly due to the fact that the Japanese yen did NOT work in the favour of the Australian Dollar (in short, the US dollar is trashing everyone, on relative terms) so even though there's been a net increase of roughly 50% (80 yen to the USD to 120 yen to the USD) I don't see the benefit of that (from 1 AUD for 1 USD to 1 AUD for 0.80 USD)

Of course, I COULD just arranged for a jailbroken PS3 and just steal the catalogs at a fraction of the price (What makes you think I wasn't aware of the goings of the pirated internet?) but of course, unlike most people, I actually have to explain to a few people I know why I stole the work they put into the game and its DLC packs.

I actually have multiple catalogs lined up to update but... given the current heat and the contents of the message mentioned earlier, I don't think that I actually want to.

Thank you for your support, and the compendium will remain as is until someone with the resources necessary steps up and demonstrates they are able to maintain the compendium and actually design around OfA's complexities.

I may keep tabs, but I will not be active. I have my contacts, and may do some work through those intermediaries.

I may or may not resume work depending on what happens. I will most likely return to my general gaming status, and I may or may not be found.

TR;DR - I don't think I can provide the support necessary due to illness and demotivation, nor fund the remaining costs of the compendium. Consequently stepping down from management.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: Formal notice of Resignation - All im@s related projects will cease.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
Thanks for all your hard work, Setsuna.

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
Well, it doesn't come as a surprise. I've not much else to add for what's presented here other than the fact you've more than the right to resign. Moreover, I feel part of the delay was on me; this notion took awhile to sink in, but I've completely accepted the terms and I'll concede for whatever selfishness I had. It's gnawed at me for the longest time, already.

Looking back, though, this does make me nostalgic; much of the reason I joined the iM@S community at all was through the compendium. It introduced me the complexities of iM@S as I came across various request videos, and I wanted to indulge for my own machinations. Be my own producer of venerated Asami Imai and the like~.

Granted, while there's numerous qualities in said community, it also served as a gateway to give something back; as much as I try give, I simply hate staying the taker. From there I provided towards the service, whether by donation or mass cropping. More importantly, I came to meet people that simply 'clicked' just right with me -- you especially, Setsuna.

So for that being the push, it's now in regards to stepping up for maintenance; I will flat-out say and promise -- regardless how far off it may be -- that I'll assume the responsibilities once I'm well in the ergonomical position to do so. As well, whether the others are still in the game can only make this easier or harder, and that's their right to decide.

That all being said, you've given so much more so my thanks just won't cut it... but, thank you. We're grateful for the things you've given and the brunt you've taken thus far. Take it easy, stay healthy, and move towards your passions. I'm still behind you. :3
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:47:24 PM by DeviantProtagonist »
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:59:21 PM »
Now I've had a very poor night's sleep to consider it further, I'm going to quote the exchange which tipped the scales.

(Copy/pasted from my personal inbox here)

The OFA Compendium needds to be updated
« Sent to: Setsuna on: November 15, 2014, 03:20:24 AM »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. »

It is missing 6 (SIX) DLC packs, which makes it difficult to request. I believe you owe it to the rest of us, since you created it in the first place, should begin updating. Please reply and let me know what you are planning.

Best regards,

Re: The OFA Compendium needds to be updated
« Sent to: Setsuna on: November 16, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. »

Sorry if i sound rude. Anyways, I have experinece with web design and programming, although i have never made a request compendium. But, if ypu by yourself do not have the time maybe i could help? Or advertise a fonation page? I dont know, how can i help? I would really like the com. to be somewhat fluient so i can make requests wih it. :)

Quote from: Setsuna on November 16, 2014, 07:50:54 AM

I have read over your message a few times, and I have asked several other people to do the same to determine if I am misreading the message. I've been working on the technical edits for a novel, so I've been very careful of what I put to words.

I would like to ask you only one question, before I make my decision.

... Did you read over the message before you sent it? I don't believe that it says what you think it says.

I've been advised several courses of action, and I suspect that you may not like any of the suggestions.
    I also have been advised to let you know that I have a copy of the original message, and to prepare an invoice, just in case.

I may be mistaken with your intentions, of course, although I do believe you are not aware of the process of what you're asking for, either.

Thank you for your consideration.

Re: The OFA Compendium needds to be updated
« Sent to: Setsuna on: November 17, 2014, 11:23:11 PM »

OH. I see. The catalog is based off the dlc you have not just the catalogs that are out. Oops. Well expect to get my part of my christmas bonus! Hehehehe....yeah. Just got that. Sorry. Gomen. Im so confused every must think im evil.

Sorry

Quote from: Setsuna on November 17, 2014, 05:14:26 AM

Sorry If you sound rude?

You're only demanding why someone hasn't paid for the ~100000 yen to pick up six catalogs, spent the sixty or so hours necessary to screen cap all the accessories and costumes for all 13 idols, Photoshopped them all to the correct sizes and configured the engine generate the codes for ease of use.

And you're demanding this, without offer of compensation or assistance to someone who's doing it in their spare time, unpaid.

And you're saying the someone doing it as a hobby for free hasn't done it, because the users deserve it.

... Really?

If you can't provide any of the above, the compendium is not going anywhere, because I'm flat out broke and very, very busy right now. More to the point, without providing the money to pick UP the items, any donation of time is useless.

Thank you.

I never did get the said promise, but I don't think I was ever expecting to. Sometimes though, particularly for volunteer projects, something like this is where you will seriously start to question 'Was putting in the time actually worth it?'

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 12:46:28 AM »
The person who sent you these messages is just an outlier. One of the rules of the internet is that if people can't say something thoughtless or disparaging, they say nothing at all. That's an exaggeration, but it has some truth. The people who say nothing are much greater in number and they've enjoyed the videos that the compendium facilitated. However, the people who say nothing have also been taking you for granted. I'm not sure what the solution to this problem is, but your situation has reminded me to show appreciation for people who I've been taking for granted.

I'll respect your decision to resign or to continue this project.

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛いさは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 03:30:03 AM »
I personally think you overreacted to their response but it's your choice in the end.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 05:49:31 AM »
After re-reading the messages you received, Setsuna, I think that a lot of the rudeness in them could be due to the other person's inadequate skill in writing English. For example, this sentence

"I believe you owe it to the rest of us, since you created it in the first place, should begin updating."

ignoring some possibly unintentional rudeness, could be read (in the best possible light) as

"Since you created the compendium, no one would be better suited to update it than you."

I know firsthand that, when speaking in a language that is not one's native language, it's possible to stumble upon a phrase that has a completely different meaning than what was intended. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Fortunately, in my case, the only consequence of my error was that a classroom of native French speakers burst out in laughter.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 07:17:36 AM »
I personally think you overreacted to their response but it's your choice in the end.

It's not the only one, of course. That was the last in a recent line. You'd be surprised some of the things that the people filling requests go through. Those who have done (or chose to) provide support throughout the years can tell you some very interesting stories.

I've gotten emails threatening to hunt me down for failure to do what they want, interestingly enough.

Generally when you ask anyone of anything, it always helps to actually understand what you're actually asking for. Essentially the opening was overly aggressive, and the subsequent conversation was full of demands, and the 'Sorry for getting caught' overtones in the subsequent conversation didn't help any.

When I make mistakes, I know I should apologise and actually own up to my mistakes. I had friends who I asked to read over it (because I wasn't entirely sure that this wasn't just a linguistic error) who actually suggested I leave outright, and pull all materials down.

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛いさは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
I do know exactly what you mean as I've also provided a different form of support to iM@S fans in the past. I had misread and assumed that reaction was only to the second response you got back. Still even if you stop requests it might be a bit too extreme to remove everything. Speaking from past experience it's not the best option. Not everyone will voice their opinion as lurkers always outweigh actual posters. Things can end up all over the net, some may not even know it comes from this site.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:54:32 PM by Okayu »

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 03:13:19 PM »
There's a lot of things I could say and add on the topic at hand, but shall not.
I'll only say "thank you" for what support has came, myself, as I don't think being in the silent majority will be of benefit here.

...well, there IS one thing I'll say.

While the actual answers to "Why did you start doing iM@S requests?" will vary, there's one common thread among those of us that do; we're fans like everyone else and we enjoy the series too. We don't have to take the time to do this stuff for others, much less buy the DLC to do a better job of it (given some comments, I doubt Setsuna would buy some DLC content - much less go out of her way for a limited edition code for RECOLORED PUPPETS - if not for the compendium's sake). We can just do whatever we want without regard for what you or others think, but we make the choice to provide requests anyway because we want to. They aren't something you're entitled to... like the above poster seemed to imply.
Granted, I know it's an obvious statement. But sometimes, the obvious needs to be stated; this is one of those times. As someone who does still take requests, I sincerely don't want to be given a reason to follow her, even if it is hard to get myself motivated to do them from time to time; we're human just like you.

Maka

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 09:33:46 PM »
Honestly, I think the culture of the internet and culture in general means that doing stuff for free out of passion is a thankless job, quite literally. Especially with the internet, it's easy for people to see you as just a faceless machine that exists solely for their gratification. I do translations and such on tumblr, and I don't think I've ever gotten a single thank-you for what I do. I've even gotten very angry messages for not ordering panels the right way, not translating fast enough, whatever. It's sad how the world has gotten to this point where it can only be summarized as "ungrateful". No, I don't think you overreacted to that message, especially if it's just the latest in a string of them. Like I don't even fill requests and I've noticed how demanding it can be.

In the end, you've done some truly irreplaceable things for the English-speaking idolmaster community, and if people can't recognize that, then, well, pardon my French but screw 'em. I wish you best of luck on your future endeavors. We'll miss you.

altuixde

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 06:42:34 PM »
I know, from your first post in this thread, that messages aren't the only difficulty you've been facing recently; but would you reconsider your resignation if you had someone to screen your messages for you so you only get the relevant ones?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I don't know how a screening process could be effectively carried out. If I offer my personal inbox as an alternative, there would still be nothing stopping people from using your inbox.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:58:16 AM by altuixde »

Byuusan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 07:50:34 AM »
wish i could to this forum a lit more often, im always a lit busy somewhere and i wanna take some time to just come here and read stuff.... then again i could be doing that while recording.

I've got my number of email with threats of not doing thier requests, when my FAQ or my respond explains why i can't do them in the first place, or why it hasn't been doing already. It not like 3 years ago where i had all the time in the world to do 10 a day. Actually i dunno what was i thinking doing 10 a day.

See to see you step down from the position but all i can do is respect that decision and hope you the best in the future.