Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Pokemon Thread.  (Read 10959 times)

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
The Pokemon Thread.
« on: November 21, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
Given that Pokemon's an insanely popular series in its own right, I've seen numerous people mention it and we don't have a thread (far as I can tell), I figured I'd make one, especially considering that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have just came out today (well, where I live anyway). I'll be picking mine up later since no midnight launch for this run...

But yeah, Pokemon discussion thread.

I've not much to say yet for ORAS, mostly because I don't yet have my game, but I'll be getting Omega Ruby (and I played X prior). I really hope that the new Megastones are all attainable in just one version like Serebii's saying so far though. Split-versions sucked for that.

DeviantProtagonist

• Producer
  • 本当にありがとう, あずみん.
    • View Profile
Re: The Pokemon Thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »
Speaking from a casual, nostalgic, competitive-ignoramus standpoint, I mostly stopped heeding Pokemon once they deviated so much past the third Generaton -- currently quite the clusterfuck they'e got going, I feel. :P

Nevertheless, I'd be completely open to a Pokemon Stadium 3. Now that would be a dandy conversion~.
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3

AkuAkane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »
I'll be getting my copy of Alpha Sapphire later today. I've been a fan of the Pokemon games since I was around 4 or so and played almost every Pokemon game including the side games like the explorers games, ranger games, colloseum+XD, Stadium games, Snap, hey you! Pikachu+Pokemon Channel, etc. (the only pokemon games I haven't played are Puzzle League, the new trozei, and the new art "game" if you can call it that)

X & Y was imo the best Pokemon game so far; before it my favorite Pokemon game was Platinum, but now X is definitely my favorite. So I'm hoping they did well with Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby as well.

I haven't been spoiled on the game anymore than whats been shown in corocoro, trailers, and the demo. My boyfriend got his copy last night but we made a deal that we would each play until beating the first gym and then stop without saving so that when we both have the game we can play it together from the start in a way. So I probably won't be going past the first gym until 9 PM or later tonight so me and him can play together.
Top 5 Original 765PRO Girls=Makoto, Azusa, Takane, Iori, Hibiki
Top 5 Cinderella Girls=Takumi, Rina, Natsuki, Tomoe, Akane
Top 5 Million Live Girls=Matsuri, Noriko, Roco, Julia, Chizuru
Top 5 SideM Guys=Suzaku, Michiru, Kyoji, Ryu, Michio

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:19:23 PM »
For those planning to go on the Battle Spot or battle online in general on ORAS, keep in mind that you can use both the Primals and Mega Rayquaza in battle at the same time, so be wary.

Behold! The Yarn Yoshi Army!

AkuAkane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 02:22:58 AM »
Got the game and played it for a while (didn't even make it to the first gym you can actually battle at, though). This sure is reminding me why I was never a huge fan of gen 3 in the first place. The start is agonizingly slow and it just gets boring in all honestly (not to mention the starters are pretty crap)

On the bright side, though, I can say that the remake is well done, from what I've seen so far. I especially enjoy the tiny touches like bending over to talk to pokemon/child npcs and being able to turn your head side to side while sitting. Game looks really nice, walking feels super smooth. Battles still lag with the 3D on a bit but it seems better than it was during the demo (a bit better, anyway.)

The Pokenav is really awesome, its great how it shows you what pokemon you've caught in an area and what pokemon you have yet to catch. I also like being able to sneak up on pokemon, especially since said pokemon you sneak up on can sometimes carry a good item or have a special move. Still haven't gotten to contests yet (obviously) so not sure how those are.

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 03:06:58 AM »
Speaking from a casual, nostalgic, competitive-ignoramus standpoint, I mostly stopped heeding Pokemon once they deviated so much past the third Generaton -- currently quite the clusterfuck they'e got going, I feel. :P

Nevertheless, I'd be completely open to a Pokemon Stadium 3. Now that would be a dandy conversion~.
There's multiple reasons for me, but I can honestly say I enjoy the games more now that they're more integrated with internet use. As a child who had almost no friends and only her brother for trading, it's a much different playing experience being able to interact with others online and play with them despite distance, plus I have a different view on how I play games now than I have then.

Got the game and played it for a while (didn't even make it to the first gym you can actually battle at, though). This sure is reminding me why I was never a huge fan of gen 3 in the first place. The start is agonizingly slow and it just gets boring in all honestly (not to mention the starters are pretty crap)

On the bright side, though, I can say that the remake is well done, from what I've seen so far. I especially enjoy the tiny touches like bending over to talk to pokemon/child npcs and being able to turn your head side to side while sitting. Game looks really nice, walking feels super smooth. Battles still lag with the 3D on a bit but it seems better than it was during the demo (a bit better, anyway.)

The Pokenav is really awesome, its great how it shows you what pokemon you've caught in an area and what pokemon you have yet to catch. I also like being able to sneak up on pokemon, especially since said pokemon you sneak up on can sometimes carry a good item or have a special move. Still haven't gotten to contests yet (obviously) so not sure how those are.
III was my favorite, but it's mostly because of some of the other aspects brought in (and the fact my favorite Pokemon, Gardevoir, was introduced in it).
I agree on the game going slow, though I think a part of it is due to the 2D>3D transition. Sure, it all looks nicer, but since each character has a model and expressions now, instead of just a sprite, it takes much more time to go through the dialogue/cutscenes. Pretty good so far otherwise. I've only gotten to second town, though.

ZetaFlare

• Producer
  • Chief of ACME Crimenet's San Diego Divison
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 05:32:04 AM »
My character in OR is a guy named Ryo. Started with Mudkip. My character in AS is a girl named Yuri. Started with Torchic.

Yeah, I practice the Kyokugen style of Pokémon training this time around.

Yui

• Producer
  • Presenting Pisces Yui!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 06:57:49 AM »
Since Generation III was my favorite, I'll get Alpha Sapphire. I think I can say that it's for nostalgic reasons. Dunno if I use an original team or "Touhou based" team though.

AkuAkane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »
Finally got further into the game, made it to slateport and participated in a contest. Used my Skitty named Mia (after my irl cat). I LOVE the idol character. The contest was fun, but I somehow still feel let down. It honestly doesn't feel that improved aside from the fact that its 3D. Then again I guess thats all it was supposed to be in the first place. Got the cosplay Pikachu, but haven't tried it out yet.

I gotta say after beating the second gym the game definitely picked up for me, felt a lot more fun. My team right now is A Grovyle called Trovato (after my boyfriends online handle), Skitty named Mia which I mentioned already, Zigzagoon named Luna, Dustox named Daphne, and Wingull named Penny.

Never mentioned it before because I didn't see it as important, but since other people are saying their player character's name and gender I'm playing as May and named her Aku.

Anyway, in short, contests kinda disappointed me, but the idol character made up for it a bit and overall I'm enjoying the game more than I was at first.

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »
The contest was fun, but I somehow still feel let down. It honestly doesn't feel that improved aside from the fact that its 3D. Then again I guess thats all it was supposed to be in the first place. Got the cosplay Pikachu, but haven't tried it out yet.
I'm honestly glad that it's that way myself, but that's because I really loved the contest system in III as it was. I didn't like how IV/Sinnoh handled their contests.
I miss the Pokeblock blender system, though; that was fun.

My IGN is Virgofall in OR, Leorise in X - male/female respectively.

Finished the E4 last night. Team was Sceptile, Gyarados, Skitty, Pelliper, Mightyena and Machoke; I was pretty much rushing down the game as fast I could and I don't think I would've been able to beat Steven if not for Intimidates (Gyarados/Mightyena) and Charm (Skitty) nulling any decent form of attack on his Metagross.
Some other musings from my experience, though not in any particular order (unless spoiler-related):
- The Super-Secret Base system's cool so far. Being able to heal your pokes if you have a bed in there is really nice, too.
- Getting the version Lati was REALLY abrupt. Almost too abrupt, in my opinion. Better than roaming, but still...
- I can't tell if Nintendo/Game Freak failed a spot check on Wallace's new outfit. I understand fanservice is what's intended, but... what.
- The O-Power guys are really creepy this game. Especially after you get your post-E4 one - 6-guy fusion into Mr. Bonding, GO!

AkuAkane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
I'm honestly glad that it's that way myself, but that's because I really loved the contest system in III as it was. I didn't like how IV/Sinnoh handled their contests.
I miss the Pokeblock blender system, though; that was fun.

My IGN is Virgofall in OR, Leorise in X - male/female respectively.

Finished the E4 last night. Team was Sceptile, Gyarados, Skitty, Pelliper, Mightyena and Machoke; I was pretty much rushing down the game as fast I could and I don't think I would've been able to beat Steven if not for Intimidates (Gyarados/Mightyena) and Charm (Skitty) nulling any decent form of attack on his Metagross.
Some other musings from my experience, though not in any particular order (unless spoiler-related):
- The Super-Secret Base system's cool so far. Being able to heal your pokes if you have a bed in there is really nice, too.
- Getting the version Lati was REALLY abrupt. Almost too abrupt, in my opinion. Better than roaming, but still...
- I can't tell if Nintendo/Game Freak failed a spot check on Wallace's new outfit. I understand fanservice is what's intended, but... what.
- The O-Power guys are really creepy this game. Especially after you get your post-E4 one - 6-guy fusion into Mr. Bonding, GO!

Ahhhh I'm still so far behind. I'm just so slow when I play games T_T I'm still only 3 badges in...Also I agree with you on the pokeblock blender system being removed. I miss it too =< Right now my team is a Lopunny named...Lopunny because I got the Buneary through wonder trade (knew thunder punch, fire punch, and ice punch!) which I really freaked out about since Lopunny is one of my favorite pokemon in general. Still have my Skitty Mia in my team, my Dustox named Daphne, Gloom named Veronica (hoping I find a leaf stone soon), Plusle named Mimi (and my boyfriend is going to give me a minun named mini), and a Pelipper named Penny although she hasn't actually been on my team for a while since I've been keeping Luna my Linoone on my team for HM moves and secret power. Been having a lot of fun with the game and setting up my first secret base was exciting. Anyway, probably gonna be a while before I get to the Elite 4.

JNiles

• Producer
  • Gimme a hug
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »
Finished the main game and the post-game episode.  Nothing left but messing with secret bases and resetting for shinies.  And this is where I'm starting to notice a lot of flaws, especially with secret bases.

Bases are very cramped
Limit of 5 Secret Pals
Limit of 16 decorative objects
Teams are limited to 3 pokes - this is really awkward for Doubles.  I guess teams of 4 or 6 are too scary for the kids.
Egg hatching ability is too weak - 1 or 2 tries per secret pal that happens to have the egg hatching ability.  Pointless.
Visitors don't see Secret Pals's real teams, apparently- they get default teams
Due to unique base interiors, you can't add a base that shares a location with a base you already have
QR code scanning give me an incorrect error

As for legendary resetting, the ones that spawn in portals in the sky are going to be a hassle - can't save in front of the portal, so I'm forced to endure the mega evolution cutscene every time.

Also, I'm rather distraught about what they did to Looker

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 02:55:44 AM »
Found some amusing GIFs on Tumblr. Art is done by cheesyturtle.

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 11:15:14 PM »
Just got AS yesterday. I just recently got a 4IV Bold German Sableye w/ Prankster and a 6IV Spanish, shiny Adamant Honedge from Wondertrade lol.

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »
Finished the main game and the post-game episode.  Nothing left but messing with secret bases and resetting for shinies.  And this is where I'm starting to notice a lot of flaws, especially with secret bases.
Teams are limited to 3 pokes - this is really awkward for Doubles.  I guess teams of 4 or 6 are too scary for the kids.
Also, I'm rather distraught about what they did to Looker
As a player who does primarily doubles... ugh. But at least Inverse Battles are offered as an option. Agreed on the last, though. I wonder if it's simply Game Freak's way of saying they're no longer using Looker as a character in the games anymore? Maybe he wasn't popular in Japan?

On a somewhat unrelated note, Pokken Tournament has had more information announced. On one hand it annoys me a little that Pikachu's in it, but then, it's Pikachu we're talking about... I really shouldn't be surprised. Yay Gardevoir (but then, I'm biased). Any thoughts on some of the new information that's came out on it?

Edit: dsgklsjdfmajc *headdesk* Yeah, I just woke up and used the wrong tag... not that it matters since it was quoted later but
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:32:18 PM by Virgofall »