puppies-volcanic
Username: Password:

Author Topic: I Hate Other iM@S derived works  (Read 13955 times)

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
  • No Copyright Law in the Universe is gonna stop me!
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on Twitter if you want.
Re: I Hate Other iM@S Games
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 03:49:42 AM »
For what it's worth I thought I was the only one -- it is what it is and it's only that -- nothing to get worked up over, really. :P

I welcome the fan service.

I guess I should elaborate on my personal views on it. In general, having fanservice in the game is perfectly a-okay. I know that these girls are idols. Celebrity Singers. They pretty much HAVE to show off a little T&A at SOME point. It's kinda part of the job description. The worry here is that ML seems to do it TOO much. As in, every other batch of cards has about one or two cards that are pretty fanservice-y. It's kinda crazy. :P
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Scotty

• 961Pro President
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • Kuroi Shachou
    • View Profile
    • G+ iDOLM@STER Community
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 03:57:22 AM »
Maybe it should be re-stated that ML is a social game. The social aspect is really what makes this game fun in a way I can't really explain.
In fact the only reason why I continue to play is the social aspect.

Where do you think we are?
For many of us, social isn't really something we either a) have, or b) care about. The series has never been about social anything outside of leaderboards. Sure, it can stray from the tried and true formula, such as Shiny Festa, and DS, but look at the reception towards those as well.

ZetaFlare

• Producer
  • Chief of ACME Crimenet's San Diego Divison
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 03:59:34 AM »
To be honest, this thread scares me.

I haven't actually seen or played the mobile games so I have no idea about their gameplay. Heck, I don't even have a mobile device (at the moment)! I know I've fallen for the cuteness of some of the CGs gimmicks (Airi, Kanako, Anzu, Kirari, and Sachiko for example...they're pretty good for skits). I haven't paid much attention to ML at all. I always thought the ML girls were too vanilla for me until I saw more detailed descriptions, translations, and development in the ML thread.

I don't mind fanservice at all! Moe!

Many series have mobile card games these days. High School DxD (puts ML's fanservice to shame), WUG, and a bunch more I've probably never heard of. Does Love Live have one? Or am I just thinking of those cards from School Idol Festival? Still, it makes me wonder how games like Kantai Collection are so huge right now. Sure, they've got to be able to compete, right? Competition. It makes the world go round. Even the mobile world.

But what worries me is the mobile games might get more recognition than the mothership titles. I fear the original 13 might fall into the depths of obscurity compared to the mobile girls. I discovered iM@S through the main games and L4U. They are what define the series. I'm not knocking actual fans of the mobile games...I just prefer the original 13...iM@S's real color. From the comments I've seen, I just hope the mobile games don't wind up sinking the series as a whole...  :'(

Though I do admit, though, I think 876Pro's idols deserve a second chance. At least Ai and Eri do anyway.

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 04:16:59 AM »
To be honest, this thread scares me.

I haven't actually seen or played the mobile games so I have no idea about their gameplay. Heck, I don't even have a mobile device (at the moment)! I know I've fallen for the cuteness of some of the CGs gimmicks (Airi, Kanako, Anzu, Kirari, and Sachiko for example...they're pretty good for skits). I haven't paid much attention to ML at all. I always thought the ML girls were too vanilla for me until I saw more detailed descriptions, translations, and development in the ML thread.

I don't mind fanservice at all! Moe!

Many series have mobile card games these days. High School DxD (puts ML's fanservice to shame), WUG, and a bunch more I've probably never heard of. Does Love Live have one? Or am I just thinking of those cards from School Idol Festival? Still, it makes me wonder how games like Kantai Collection are so huge right now. Sure, they've got to be able to compete, right? Competition. It makes the world go round. Even the mobile world.

But what worries me is the mobile games might get more recognition than the mothership titles. I fear the original 13 might fall into the depths of obscurity compared to the mobile girls. I discovered iM@S through the main games and L4U. They are what define the series. I'm not knocking actual fans of the mobile games...I just prefer the original 13...iM@S's real color. From the comments I've seen, I just hope the mobile games don't wind up sinking the series as a whole...  :'(

Though I do admit, though, I think 876Pro's idols deserve a second chance. At least Ai and Eri do anyway.

I do see where you're coming from, dude.

Love Live does have one: School Idol Festival. The best part is, it IS available overseas with an official English translation, so it's easy to get.

I guess it just has to do with Japan's overall fascination with mobile gaming in general, which I am honestly SHOCKED that nobody mentioned. While we here in the United States just brush off mobile phones as "casual BS" and prefer to game on a home console or a dedicated gaming handheld like the 3DS or PS Vita, Japan is the opposite. They take mobile games JUST as seriously as console/handheld games over there. It's probably the biggest case of Values Dissonance I have EVER seen on this forum.

As for the mobile characters replacing the original 13..........that is DEFINITELY not gonna happen. From scrolling through here, the mobile characters are HUGE base breaking characters. People either love or hate them while the original 13 are unanimously welcomed with open arms all the time. If anything, I wanna see them co-exist. Mainly main series and ML, but CG MAYBE if they, well, clean some things up. Really, I do NOT expect a few mobile game spin-offs to weigh down a console-gaming series. It has never happened before and I doubt it will now.

876Pro should get a new game just to give them more character.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »
... but ML (which has a personally more annoying problem of getting a ridiculous push) ...

ML actually bothers me more, though, being the child of both Scamco and A-1 born with a silver spoon in its mouth. Whether it's due to the massive work done with ML in such short time or due to the laziness with CG, the fact that a year passed and ML has received 10+ CDs, live concerts, game DLC, and even a noticeable role in the first iM@S movie is just ridiculous to me.

/sign

This really bothers me about ML as well. Especially since i have no connection to the characters at all. All this is part of the reason why i tried to play ML, but it made things only worse for me.

liza94

• Producer
  • Fan of Chihaya (Asami Imai & Kaori Shimizu)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
I do strongly disagree about ML. I dunno, I think it's because I was introduced to iM@S via the anime so I'm kinda used to how the characters were done there, whereas you guys were probably around since the days of L4U and SP where you are used to how characters were there. It's different strokes for different blokes.

However, I do have one thing that might explain why I have more of an idealistic viewpoint over a lot of these characters (as in, everyone in ML and some of CG): potential. Yes, this may seem like a very weird argument to make and I might actually get a few people either disagreeing or decrying me by saying "They should've done that from the get-go" but hear me out first. I feel that quite a number of these characters have the potential to be done well if you write them well. If you know what to do with these characters and with how they act. For example, some might be turned off by Miku Maekawa's cat-like antics or Kotoha Tanaka's stress-induced moments. What some might see as one-off gimmicks, I see more as tools for expansion. That's why I'm excited for the Cinderella Girls anime, provided they don't screw that up. It gives off an opportunity to write these characters in a way we would have never expect. Maybe Anzu could have some more potential than we thought. Can I say this for everyone, though? HELL NO! I will agree, again, that CG especially has some characters that you can do..........pretty much NOTHING with, which feels like a damn shame.

That's my weird argument, anyway.

I agree with you, MetalPredat0r! And I don't understand people who think that Chihaya in anim@s differs from Chihaya in the games!
I don't understand that "clones" thing at all! (Shizuka ISN'T Chihaya and Ai doesn't remind me of Haruka!)
I remember when I finished watching anim@s I thought what the second season would be like: "Of course, there will be new girls who will want to surpass the idols they admire but the main cast will help them to realize their induvidiality". If the movie is like that I will be very glad! The girls of Million Live are part of 765pro and it's great!
By the way, Scotty, have you played "im@sChamp (plus)"?

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛いさは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
And I don't understand people who think that Chihaya in anim@s differs from Chihaya in the games!
Considering you think xeno Chihaya is still Chihaya I have a feeling any rant I would post wouldn't convince you.

If the movie is like that I will be very glad! The girls of Million Live are part of 765pro and it's great!
As said before it's really not. Besides I heard only two of them actually get any real focus.
Theater Days ID: RLA7LXH4

Translation Thread: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,2586.0.html

Chihaya fansite: http://utahimerakuen.waifu.pl/

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 03:24:09 PM »
Considering you think xeno Chihaya is still Chihaya I have a feeling any rant I would post wouldn't convince you.

I'm personally curious as to how the anime was "innaccurate" in writing the characters. I don't see TOO much difference.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

Logan

• ζ*'ヮ')ζ<はーん
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 06:35:58 PM »
My biggest gripe with iDOLM@STER is how they've gone from a mix of realistic and anime styled characters to transitioning exclusively over to the anime style. When I first got into iDOLM@STER it was while I was still in my real Japanese idol kick, so I liked how it was a mix between the real and the fantasy. Now it seems like they took the light anime cliches they had and turned them up 150%. It all kind of happened during DS and the mobile game idol boom I think.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:40:45 PM by Logan »

ChocoCats

• Producer
  • Yoshi♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 08:44:48 PM »
My biggest gripe with iDOLM@STER is how they've gone from a mix of realistic and anime styled characters to transitioning exclusively over to the anime style. When I first got into iDOLM@STER it was while I was still in my real Japanese idol kick, so I liked how it was a mix between the real and the fantasy. Now it seems like they took the light anime cliches they had and turned them up 150%. It all kind of happened during DS and the mobile game idol boom I think.
So much this. I miss Annin Doufu's artwork for the older games and I don't like the anime-styled artwork now for OFA. I found them to be too 'white' and plain. Also, don't get me start on the fanservice, especially ML's. That alone is why I loathe ML with a passion.
I agree with you, MetalPredat0r! And I don't understand people who think that Chihaya in anim@s differs from Chihaya in the games!
I don't understand that "clones" thing at all! (Shizuka ISN'T Chihaya and Ai doesn't remind me of Haruka!)
If you think that Xeno Chihaya is still Chihaya, then you need a reality check. Same for the clones, too.

Behold! The Yarn Yoshi Army!

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »
Annin Doufu.
My favorite artist for the series...ahh...
I miss so much.

Okayu

• E4-G4-D3-B3
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • 千早の可愛いさは正義!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 03:13:44 AM »
I miss dofu too. I much preferred that 2D style to the animas one.
Theater Days ID: RLA7LXH4

Translation Thread: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,2586.0.html

Chihaya fansite: http://utahimerakuen.waifu.pl/

Virgofall

• *curtsy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2014, 04:36:40 AM »
Ai reminds me a bit more of Yayoi than she does of Haruka nor Yukiho (though I can see why she gets compared to the latter two). I like Ryo's voice, but... yeah, Ryo bothers me a little. I don't know whether or not it's the otokonoko aesthetic or what. If they do bring Ryo back as more than a cameo I sincerely hope he got thrown a bone and could shed it, but the fact is that his being otokonoko is what makes him popular...

I'm not too fond of the mobile games in general because of the high amount of characters with minimal effort, and the high amount of unfitting fanservice. I, too, do not mind fanservice (like Metal said, it's an idol series and thus fanservice is going to occur), but when you have characters like Fuuka who specifically doesn't LIKE "sexy" work yet the producer (that is, you) tend to get it for her? I can think of other roles her character could do that aren't "sexy" - so it seems like a shoehorn. Yeah, Azusa plays the "sexy" type, but she's also played up in-universe as more than just that, and whether or not she likes/hates/doesn't notice or care about the fact she's fanservice isn't the primary point of her character.
Ultimately, every character is fanservice in some form or another. Given that the game initially had you focused on one idol and one idol only in its origins (from my understanding; I've never played the arcade or X-Box versions) it makes sense to provide different sorts of characters that people would like to deal with, whether it's the haughty Iori, hyperactive Yayoi or shrinking violet Yukiho. Ultimately, each of the original girls began as fitting a stereotype, then given elaboration, becoming fuller-featured characters.
It's whether or not they can be more than their stereotype, and how much it's emphasized, which worries me more. I don't think I'd have minded the introduction of new idols in the franchise, but they could've gone about it much differently than they did. There's definitely character types and roles they could have brought in and elaborated on that originated in the mobile games, and despite their lack of realism, they could've been just as good as the main core given some polish and effort - many, though, I agree can't be redeemed. (*stares Mayu down, not caring about whether or not she'd get killed*)

I don't mind the change in artist as much as some of you might, but I do see where the older artwork has its own appeal. But then, I generally prefer (most of) the 2nd Vision designs over the 1st Vision ones...

MetalPredat0r

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2014, 05:14:07 AM »
It's whether or not they can be more than their stereotype, and how much it's emphasized, which worries me more. I don't think I'd have minded the introduction of new idols in the franchise, but they could've gone about it much differently than they did. There's definitely character types and roles they could have brought in and elaborated on that originated in the mobile games, and despite their lack of realism, they could've been just as good as the main core given some polish and effort - many, though, I agree can't be redeemed. (*stares Mayu down, not caring about whether or not she'd get killed*)

This, I completely agree with.

It's not so much that these characters are generic and hopeless, its just that they haven't been seen to their true potential. It's that "potential" argument I have stated earlier.

I'm also kind of another one that doesn't mind the change in art styles. Again, maybe it's because I got into the franchise later than some of you guys who have probably been around since First Vision, so the anime art style doesn't bug me as much. Though I do appreciate Dofuu's art style and see many high points with it. I also kinda like Mana's art style as well.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

ninjamitsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2014, 06:12:22 AM »
Considering I'm a huge Lunar fan I do love Toshiyuki Kubooka's art for the series from way back in the day.

Annin Doufu is also great, and I also don't like the newer art style used in the anime and Million Live. The facial proportions are really weird.

I also agree on "potential", but I think the Million Live girls have more potential than Cinderella Girls. They just need a CHANCE to be fleshed out.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:15:35 AM by ninjamitsuki »