Username: Password:

Author Topic: One Wiki For All  (Read 4016 times)

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
One Wiki For All
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »
In the other thread the idea of an english wiki popped up several times. Has someone already started it? If so, what is the address and what does one need to do to help?

I think there are many people here in the forum willing to help out and we could use this thread to coordinate our efforts.

I'd help, if i ever get my game. Mostly by adding my own findings/experience but i can also add stuff i need to look up on the japanese wiki (i'm not really up for a full on scale translation though).

stuart444

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Re: One Wiki For All
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »
Well nyachan in the previous thread said they are working to translate the Japanese wikis over here: http://idolmasterofa.wikia.com/wiki/IDOLM@STER_One_For_All_Wiki

That could be a good start I guess.

nyachan

• Resident Photoshop Monkey
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:09:57 PM »
Well nyachan in the previous thread said they are working to translate the Japanese wikis over here: http://idolmasterofa.wikia.com/wiki/IDOLM@STER_One_For_All_Wiki

That could be a good start I guess.
As mentioned, I started this one to translate most of the information from Japanese wikis (for the most part I intend to do it myself, but help is welcome.)

A lot of the data pages have to get started though, since there's just a lot of text to translate and I hate tables in wikicode

Byuusan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »
I'll eventually start helping, eventually. After i beat the game at least once yea.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »
Well, I may end up pulling translations for other data, although I don't know how much of the work I'll be arranging to be done will crossover with the work you're doing.

Granted, I'm using the game as a source directly, as opposed to a wiki, so...

At my end, I'll be arranging for translation for:

Songs, costumes, accessories, stages.

I will also be arranging for the flavour text from all of them. Namely what the game will say when you highlight the item in question (so partial song lyrics for the songs, a description for costumes/accessories/stages)

I don't know how useful any of this is, because well a lot of the stuff I'll need to do isn't gameplay based.

I'll also be arranging lots of screenshots of both the grids, and the preview for every idol. You may want to use some of those, I don't know.

I also note that you're missing a stage in the stage list (Unless I'm also counting your list wrong)

There are 40 stages, not 39.

This might be a case where we might want to meet online so I can stream everything, so we can determine what you need screenshot wise and I can provide that to you.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:31:12 AM by Setsuna »
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

nyachan

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »
I also note that you're missing a stage in the stage list (Unless I'm also counting your list wrong)

There are 40 stages, not 39.

This might be a case where we might want to meet online so I can stream everything, so we can determine what you need screenshot wise and I can provide that to you.
I know I'm missing stuff all over the place, since I've just been translating from the Japanese wikis which are incomplete at this point too. Been busy with work (and playing the game more myself :P) so I haven't had much time to update the wiki these past few days.

I can probably make out a list for what I'd want screencaps of since my work schedule is so haphazard (damn retail jobs) that it's hard to organize stuff like that. For the most part, menus are mostly what I think would be good to have on the wiki, for the menu translations page. Possibly images of the lessons and jobs (live/fes/audition at least) in action to provide as visual examples for their explanation pages. I can make up a more specific list in a few days when I have off and PM it to you.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 05:05:52 PM »
I know I'm missing stuff all over the place, since I've just been translating from the Japanese wikis which are incomplete at this point too. Been busy with work (and playing the game more myself :P) so I haven't had much time to update the wiki these past few days.

I can probably make out a list for what I'd want screencaps of since my work schedule is so haphazard (damn retail jobs) that it's hard to organize stuff like that. For the most part, menus are mostly what I think would be good to have on the wiki, for the menu translations page. Possibly images of the lessons and jobs (live/fes/audition at least) in action to provide as visual examples for their explanation pages. I can make up a more specific list in a few days when I have off and PM it to you.

Well, if you have Skype or IRC, I can always communicate with you directly.  Bear in mind I am Australian EST, which is GMT +10 (And I think Daylight savings) so this may factor into your schedule.

PM me with your details (or request mine) and we can sort of meet up, and we can basically scheme our way through. I can provide video, audio, images, whatever you require, but I need to know what you want first.

I also require various translations myself, so cross work is most likely going to happen. (You could add some of the stuff I'm going to get translated onto the wiki, and I can use some of the stuff to go back into the compendium.)

If you're not familiar with the sorts of things I'll be arranging for producing, please see the im@s 2 Compendium. If you need images like THAT, please ask me for them instead of swiping it in the next couple of weeks from a prototype I'll be working on, only so we can provide the raw png, as opposed to a subpar jpg.

(I'm a crazy proponent for doing things properly, but you know, ethical standards and stuff.)
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
About the communications:

The tables list an event name and the choice you have to take. Fortunately i understand enough japanese to make to be able to make the connection between the actual event and the event name, but i guess a lot of people don't. Wouldn't it make much more sense to write something that describes the event, so someone who understand no japanese knows which event he is in, instead of the translated name from the japanese wiki? Or at least add another column to add such a description.

violetmythmaker

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:49:50 PM »

The tables list an event name and the choice you have to take. Fortunately i understand enough japanese to make to be able to make the connection between the actual event and the event name, but i guess a lot of people don't. Wouldn't it make much more sense to write something that describes the event, so someone who understand no japanese knows which event he is in, instead of the translated name from the japanese wiki? Or at least add another column to add such a description.
As someone who doesn't understand too much Japanese, I think this would help. Some of the events do seem a bit similar at first, though; would it be feasible/plausible to include something about the first line of the event (whether from producer or idol)?

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »
As someone who doesn't understand too much Japanese, I think this would help. Some of the events do seem a bit similar at first, though; would it be feasible/plausible to include something about the first line of the event (whether from producer or idol)?

That sounds like a good idea

Yukibro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 11:27:36 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEPmDDIVVPmwI8CWXerluXw/playlists

Posting this again here since it might help your situation. My titles are different from the Japanese wiki's, but they're all Perfect and show enough if you want to include some details about the events to make them easier to identify.

adiroth

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 04:04:07 PM »
Hey all, I have been lurking here for quite a while, but I have just registered today. I am interested in helping out with the wiki, mainly on the gameplay side. I also know katagana, hiragana and some kanji.

adiroth

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 05:21:24 PM »
I have created a How to Win page and updated the rank up festival page.

http://idolmasterofa.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_win

http://idolmasterofa.wikia.com/wiki/Rank_Up_Festivals

nyachan

• View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 09:35:43 PM »

This is the intention with the descriptions (that's all the "event name"s are really, only the promos and major story events have names (and the latter don't have perfect commu options)), but I realize that some of them depend on you picking up key words in the dialog to figure it out from the current descriptions (which are merely translations from the japanese wikis at the moment). Some events (the darn vending machine) do require you to pick out key words in the text though, and others are just hard to describe specifically without some content (like, just saying they're "in the park" could be multiple communications). I might try to write some "key words" to listen for in another column or something.

Anyway, I've been trying to update it some more since I've had time to play again. Most of the pages are decent enough for basic play, though most still need some filling out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:37:58 PM by nyachan »