Username: Password:

Author Topic: Idolm@ster 3 incoming?!  (Read 13910 times)

Zerorush

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Re: Idolm@ster 3 incoming?!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 02:20:00 AM »
The standard for current gen games is to build on 360 hardware due to it being easier and more cost effective (this is the main reason Im@s started on 360) and then simply porting it over to PS3. This is why there's literally like no difference between most third party titles despite the fact that the PS3 is technically more powerful.

Next gen both consoles have a focus on easy development and they both have very similar hardware specs so really it's not a question of if they can but is there a big enough market for a game across two consoles. Some will say there's a big market for Im@s on Xbox, but that was only because of its exclusivity on the 360. Once it made the jump to PS3 a lot of people straight out abandoned the 360 games. At the moment the Xbone isn't even releasing in Japan for a long while. If Namco plans to release Im@s 3 within the next year I wouldn't be surprised if its a PS4 exclusive, because right now it's looking like Xbone is gonna have an even smaller presence in Japan than any of its predecessors.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 03:00:10 AM »
^ This

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »
The standard for current gen games is to build on 360 hardware due to it being easier and more cost effective (this is the main reason Im@s started on 360)

I remember hearing a long time ago that Microsoft offers a nice cash bonus for development of exclusives on 360 in Japan and a lot of developers (especially Namco, because I think I read this about Vesperia) will use it to finish the game as a 360 exclusive, then just port it later.

All games are built on PCs with specs similar to consoles and ported to console specs, typically. That's why devs have been wanting systems with more PC-like architecture.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »
I remember hearing a long time ago that Microsoft offers a nice cash bonus for development of exclusives on 360 in Japan and a lot of developers (especially Namco, because I think I read this about Vesperia) will use it to finish the game as a 360 exclusive, then just port it later.

All games are built on PCs with specs similar to consoles and ported to console specs, typically. That's why devs have been wanting systems with more PC-like architecture.

The PS4 and the XBONE are both have PC-like architectures, specs, etc.
So I think both of them will be equally good platforms for the next iDOLM@STER game. However, the fact that the XBONE is going to be delayed in Japan, will of course delay the release. And if I know Scamco, I think they'll want to get this out in a certain time frame so they can use the movie as publicity for their next game.

Zerorush

• Greenhorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
With consoles moving even closer to PC hardware wouldn't be awesome if the series received a PC release? The unlikeliest of scenarios I know, but its nice to dream.

Notewell

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 12:37:45 AM »
It would, and I think it would be well received. Porting is getting easier, but I am not sure Namdai will make the move. I think they will try to make it current gen with a next-gen release, and I'm going to bet it's a Sony exclusive. Even with Microsoft's policy shifts I think XB1 is all but DOA in Japan with their current release schedule.

zeda12123

• Dan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 02:56:07 AM »
Frankly I don't care if it's a sony exclusive or not as long as it's on a sony system. I feel like namco could still do a lot on the PS3 hardware so i'm kinda hoping it'll be a PS3 release but I'm shooting for a ps4 anyway so i'm good either way

SakuraMaxX

• Producer
  • (/・Д・)/NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 03:24:25 AM »
I'm only an Xbox 360 owner so I can only hope it makes its way on the Xbox 360 if it's not going on the next-gen systems.  It's quite doubtful though, looking at all the deals NBGI has going on with Sony.

Won't care as much if it's PS4 exclusive since they have legitimate reasons to not support the Xbox One at all (but will get me less incentive to get one since Forza 5 is the only thing I want on it)

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »
I think Namco just figured out that most of their fanbase is also on Sony and a lot of their potential fanbase is there without Microsoft. I actually remember them specifically saying that about the Tales series.

I wouldn't expect a PC version, though, even if it was an easy port. PCs aren't really a common thing for people to have and play games on in Japan, as I understand it. The only real gaming scene on PC is the doujin game scene. PC gaming is so vague and unknown in Japan that a lot of people, even those who work in the game industry, think Steam is a PC game piracy platform. Recent successes are starting to correct that, but it's still all western success. I doubt we'll see a shift to PC gaming in Japan any time soon, if ever.

Notewell

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 05:27:22 AM »
I wouldn't expect a PC version, though, even if it was an easy port. PCs aren't really a common thing for people to have and play games on in Japan, as I understand it. The only real gaming scene on PC is the doujin game scene. PC gaming is so vague and unknown in Japan that a lot of people, even those who work in the game industry, think Steam is a PC game piracy platform. Recent successes are starting to correct that, but it's still all western success. I doubt we'll see a shift to PC gaming in Japan any time soon, if ever.

Is this just because of the popularity of tablet and mobile gaming? Or the perception that PCs are for "work" and not for play?

Even if demand were there, I don't foresee it. Namdai just recently started producing a lot of PC ports, with varying results. They won't take a risk with im@s.

ninjamitsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 07:32:16 AM »
A lot of Japanese people have very old computers. If technology still works, they'll keep using it, even if it's outdated. The exception being game consoles it seems, but a lot of people in Japan still run Windows 95, and most don't have cable.

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »
Yeah, it's recycling old tech, or just an unwillingness to buy something with more power than they need for general use.

Tablets aren't really that big over there either, as far as I know. They're really just now picking up on smartphones. A huge part of the population is still using old flip phones. Of course, their phones were always more featured, so the transition is slower.

Honestly, Japanese people and PCs don't really get along. Even their web design is usually super duper outdated.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »
Not to mention they still use, *twitch* fax machines.
Anyway, whatever console it comes out on, I hope I will be able to support it!

redhairedking

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 07:06:08 AM »
Not to mention they still use, *twitch* fax machines.
Anyway, whatever console it comes out on, I hope I will be able to support it!
In their defense, many people in the West, such as medical doctors, still use fax machines.

ikuto-sama

• Producer
  • ぜったいトップアイドル♥
    • View Profile
    • Check me out on Tumblr!
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm hoping for a PS4 release. It would give me yet another reason to get one, not that that's a hard choice already. I sure hope to see more of 876pro and Jupiter, as well as RK being produceable again (including Ritsuko). I really missed Azusa. >.< I'd love to see some of the CG girls as well; the more idols, the merrier.  :D