Username: Password:

Author Topic: What's the best capture card for iM@S 2 (PS3)?  (Read 3283 times)

Chiz

• Afuu~!
    • View Profile
    • DA
What's the best capture card for iM@S 2 (PS3)?
« on: September 13, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »
I was wondering what most of you request takers and youtube-ers use to capture your iDOLM@STER 2 videos?

Still bit a bit of a newbie to the iM@S 2 game and the whole capturing ordeal. Recently purchased an EasyCap 2.0 USB to play around with, yes I knew it would only record in SD, but my god was it much worse than expected. (Not to mention I could not get the sound to work, yet.) I have a limited budget, but willing to work towards a better HD capture if it is reasonably priced. Any suggestions?

(Apologies if this was the wrong place to post it.)

chikorita157

• わたし、気になります!
    • View Profile
    • Chikorita157's Anime Blog
Re: What's the best capture card for iM@S 2 (PS3)?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
There is a wide variety of choices. Myself, I use the Hauppauge HD PVR, but there is a newer model out that can take HDMI, although it won't work on the PS3 unless you get a HDCP stripper... Still, I would recommend the Elgato Game Capture HD since it's smaller and works both on the Mac and PC without having to buy extra software... but still, HD Capture Cards cost a bit more and SD, but definitely worth it if you plan on recording Let's Plays and stuff. Also, both of these devices can take 1080p video.

Intensity Pro of course beats the two devices I mentioned since they record in full quality with no compression, but they require high grade hardware and USB3/Thunderbolt connections.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:11:46 PM by chikorita157 »

Chiz

• Afuu~!
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
Woot a reply! Thank you, I will look into these specific models. I do like the sound of the Elgato one since I hate having to buy extra software, cables, and etc.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 02:33:50 AM »
Sorry, I would have answered the question, except well, the feed doesn't work very well, and I've been doing a lot of work lately. It slipped through my net.

I suppose the real question is 'Just how much are you willing to spend?' and 'So what are you planning to do in the long run with it?'

If you're not willing to drop more than say 500ish for the entire setup (Namely, you're not willing to either pick up a SSD, a SAS or two and controller, or make a RAID0 SATA2/3 mechanical drive set), or if Youtube/basic broadcast is it, then you're better off sticking to something that compresses prior to writing to the disc, namely something that compresses H.264 the moment you hit the record button.

The Hauppage, the Avermedia and others can cover this requirement.

Just note, that if you don't like the idea of 'precompressed' stuff, or you're doing higher quality work, a hardware compressed may disappoint you, and you stuck with some of the quirks (Some of them will reencode the 720p59.94 at 720p60, causing some oddities as an example). What you see is ultimately what you get, and you get what you paid for. Sadly, 300 dollars isn't all that much in the video processing world.

The BM Intensity Pro does not compress via hardware (It's up to you how you want your video to record)  but the requirements aren't actually 'You need a Thunderbolt/USB3 connection' (as a PCI-e card exists) and more 'Do I want to capture completely uncompressed video, and fix it up how I like?'

Namely, if not you're prepared to stick in a device that can write at least 160MB/s (Namely a SSD/SAS or a couple of SATA3s in RAID0 format to get the requirements) you won't get very far. Uncompressed 720p59.94 video requires the ability to write quickly and constantly.

I take this line because of the fact I have a separate PC that can handle all the heavy lifting - If I encode to youtube, I just throw it in a specific setting, then send it. If I need to deliver higher quality video for a friend wanting to work on a quick MAD, I encode it in that, then upload. If I need to deliver pixel perfect raw or lossless for heavy post production work, I record then prepare to suit. If I'm broadcasting live, I set up the PC to encode on the fly and go.

As for my setup, it's a BM Decklink Extreme 3D+ (or 2K I think it's called now, but it can record 1080p60, but im@s PS3 doesn't support that), coupled with a 4x 146.8GB SAS array in RAID0, with a support HDMI split that lets me evade HDCP (I'm not in the US, and consequently not subject to the DCMA).

I also keep around a first generation Blackmagic Intensity Pro (PCI-e) which is kicking close to 4 years old which acts as a second capture screen. It's actually the same card that you can still get now, but I paid about 800 dollars for it as it was considered a entry level production card at the time.

The said setup is expensive, but I've been doing this for a while. If you really have a couple of thousand (or more) you'd probably want to carefully consider and study your options, or talk to people who've done a lot of work.

If you just want a cheap im@s thrill, then stick with the cheaper stuff, but if you find that you want to expand into more detailed work, don't hesitate in sidelining the current recording hardware you first pick up here.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Byuusan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »
Sorry, I would have answered the question, except well, the feed doesn't work very well, and I've been doing a lot of work lately. It slipped through my net.

I suppose the real question is 'Just how much are you willing to spend?' and 'So what are you planning to do in the long run with it?'

If you're not willing to drop more than say 500ish for the entire setup (Namely, you're not willing to either pick up a SSD, a SAS or two and controller, or make a RAID0 SATA2/3 mechanical drive set), or if Youtube/basic broadcast is it, then you're better off sticking to something that compresses prior to writing to the disc, namely something that compresses H.264 the moment you hit the record button.

The Hauppage, the Avermedia and others can cover this requirement.

Just note, that if you don't like the idea of 'precompressed' stuff, or you're doing higher quality work, a hardware compressed may disappoint you, and you stuck with some of the quirks (Some of them will reencode the 720p59.94 at 720p60, causing some oddities as an example). What you see is ultimately what you get, and you get what you paid for. Sadly, 300 dollars isn't all that much in the video processing world.

The BM Intensity Pro does not compress via hardware (It's up to you how you want your video to record)  but the requirements aren't actually 'You need a Thunderbolt/USB3 connection' (as a PCI-e card exists) and more 'Do I want to capture completely uncompressed video, and fix it up how I like?'

Namely, if not you're prepared to stick in a device that can write at least 160MB/s (Namely a SSD/SAS or a couple of SATA3s in RAID0 format to get the requirements) you won't get very far. Uncompressed 720p59.94 video requires the ability to write quickly and constantly.

I take this line because of the fact I have a separate PC that can handle all the heavy lifting - If I encode to youtube, I just throw it in a specific setting, then send it. If I need to deliver higher quality video for a friend wanting to work on a quick MAD, I encode it in that, then upload. If I need to deliver pixel perfect raw or lossless for heavy post production work, I record then prepare to suit. If I'm broadcasting live, I set up the PC to encode on the fly and go.

As for my setup, it's a BM Decklink Extreme 3D+ (or 2K I think it's called now, but it can record 1080p60, but im@s PS3 doesn't support that), coupled with a 4x 146.8GB SAS array in RAID0, with a support HDMI split that lets me evade HDCP (I'm not in the US, and consequently not subject to the DCMA).

I also keep around a first generation Blackmagic Intensity Pro (PCI-e) which is kicking close to 4 years old which acts as a second capture screen. It's actually the same card that you can still get now, but I paid about 800 dollars for it as it was considered a entry level production card at the time.

The said setup is expensive, but I've been doing this for a while. If you really have a couple of thousand (or more) you'd probably want to carefully consider and study your options, or talk to people who've done a lot of work.

If you just want a cheap im@s thrill, then stick with the cheaper stuff, but if you find that you want to expand into more detailed work, don't hesitate in sidelining the current recording hardware you first pick up here.

This wall of text. I not understand.

I just use a hauppauge PVR for my own needs.

Chiz

• Afuu~!
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 11:30:23 PM »
Wow, this is a lot more information than I anticipated, thank you for the thorough explanation Setsuna-san. At the moment do not think I can throw down that much money for equipment I probably won't be able to use. But that certainly is useful information for anyone that have a powerful PC or multiple PC's at hand, unfortunately I only have one pretty good PC and a crappy laptop that barely runs. I do like the idea of being able to record in higher quality that I can work with but, yeah.

Byuusama! The person I bugged (hope I didn't really bug you) for iM@S requests on youtube before I got the game (I do thank you for completing those requests)  :D

So far Hauppage PVR seems to be top recommendation from 2 people, hm... may I ask what specific model chikorita157 and Byuusan uses?

chikorita157

• わたし、気になります!
    • View Profile
    • Chikorita157's Anime Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »
Wow, this is a lot more information than I anticipated, thank you for the thorough explanation Setsuna-san. At the moment do not think I can throw down that much money for equipment I probably won't be able to use. But that certainly is useful information for anyone that have a powerful PC or multiple PC's at hand, unfortunately I only have one pretty good PC and a crappy laptop that barely runs. I do like the idea of being able to record in higher quality that I can work with but, yeah.

Byuusama! The person I bugged (hope I didn't really bug you) for iM@S requests on youtube before I got the game (I do thank you for completing those requests)  :D

So far Hauppage PVR seems to be top recommendation from 2 people, hm... may I ask what specific model chikorita157 and Byuusan uses?
I have an older model (Hauppauge 1445 HD-PVR Gaming Edition) that only has component/composite inputs and no HDMI. Since there is a newer model, it's probably better to go with the new one and also a bit cheaper than what I paid for mine... They also come with cables for the PS3, Wii and 360, so you don't have to buy extra cables.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Edition-Definition-Capture-Passthrough/dp/B008ZT8QKO/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
Older Model (Basically the same as the 1445, but without the cables and different design) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P5UMVM/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

If you want to see the picture quality of the HD PVR, just see one of my Let's Play videos. It should give you a general sense of how good the picture is. - http://chikorita157.com/2012/05/16/lets-play-the-idolmaster-2-extra-episode-minase-iori-episode-1/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 02:04:05 AM by chikorita157 »

TheTanStar

• View Profile
    • Twitch.tv Livestream
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 02:32:28 AM »
Personally, I use the Hauppauge Colossus (The PCI-E x1 version, not the USB version.). It requires some work to tweak the settings to get better video quality and it's relatively cheap (About $140). It doesn't have an HDMI passthrough like the Blackmagic Intensity Pro, but that can be remedied with an HDMI splitter.

AweOfShe

• 真のアイドルマスター
    • View Profile
    • Streaming random games at random times, live.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »
This one is pretty nifty, and simple: http://www.avermedia.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=556

However you won't be able to live stream with it.
NNID - Daioujou | 3DS FC - 0559 7548 8384
XBL/PSN/Steam - AweOfShe1

Chiz

• Afuu~!
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 03:34:13 AM »
Ooh, so many choices. Debating between Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and AVERMEDIA C281 Game Capture HD... I looked at some reviews and people seem to be dissatisfied with the newer Hauppauge and that it records in only .MP4/.M2TS/.TS, which are not my ideal video formats. (Side note: I use Sony Vegas Pro 8 to edit all my videos and I do believe it has issues with MP4's. There might be a codec for this but have not found one yet.)

@AweOfShe Have you used the Avermedia C281 before? No live stream is fine for me, at least for now. But for sure, no PC required sounds great. I even have an spare external HD.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:36:55 AM by Chiz »

Chiz

• Afuu~!
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you for everyone's response. In the end I bought the AVerMedia capture card since it seemed to be quite easy to set up and most cost effective.

The quality of the recordings can be found below:
Marionette no Kokoro - Miki, Hibiki, Makoto - Slightly enhanced with video editor program
Kosmos, Cosmos - Yukiho, Hibiki - No editing