Username: Password:

Author Topic: Things I learnt by playing Idolm@ster 2 PS3...  (Read 1465 times)

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
Things I learnt by playing Idolm@ster 2 PS3...
« on: December 11, 2011, 09:32:48 AM »
I don't know why, but after going to absurd lengths to 'fix' my file, I figure this may be relevant for those in the same boat.  This is a gaming 'debug and help thread' I thought I'd open considering that there's the chance someone else may have run across the same problems I did.

I figure some people may have a laugh with some of these, and feel free to add in extra 'Hyper mode oddities' to add to the list.

All of this REALLY applies if you did what I did, which is the below:

- 1 normal difficulty game (to unlock at least 2 out of the 4 charms you'll need (VA/VO, VO/DA, VA/DA multiplier reduction and the Tokyo IA event charm) and probably a quick item run to grab some accessories that well, give decent stats)

- Hyper Mode from there, with a support normal game just to go shopping with.

1. Due to how hyper games are played, odds are if you're at 33/34 for unlocked stages it's most likely that you sped past (And I mean literally sped past) the window for the Boat Live.

Why is this? If you're particularly good, your week allocation would have been this.

-Single 1 - Top 50 (Access 6-10 rank events)
-Single 2 - Top 20 (It's possible) (Access 10-12 rank events)

or

-Single 1 - Nothing
-Single 2 - Top 50 (Access 6-10 rank events)
-Single 3 - Top 20 (Access 10-12 rank events)

In both cases, you'll find that you no longer can see the Boat Deck Live stage.

Why?

It's only available:
a) After week 40, after you perform on it
b) Between ranks 6-10 (To be specific, it's a rank 6-8)

Since hyper runs zoom past those ranks WAY before you perform on the stage (As you're playing against the week clock to score your IA regionals), there's significant odds you'll NEVER EVER SEE IT if you don't play normal difficulty.

Best way to fix this is to rush a regular run, because the top 20 event list will keep that option open, then smack the live when it shows up.

2. It is entirely possible to actually have Lucky Rabbit open as an option and find that the store is EMPTY, and if you visit, you'll just go inside, and without as much as a word, be ejected out. You'll not be able to access BK Maniac at all either. This also has the side effect of NEVER EVER showing one particular item as long as this effect shows up. (Namely Lucky Rabbit will remain at 98% and you'd be wondering why.)

This also happens if you blitz Hyper Mode and try the 'Keep an early game save file trick' to go shopping with (As all costumes are shared across all games) because you'll fail to do the requirements to open up BK Maniac.

This also has the side effect of making the PS3 believe you've never looped, and consequently will not offer the New Game+ item on sale (Which is, of course Kotori's headset.) probably because you actually need to visit Lucky Rabbit to unlock BK Maniac.

The condition is this: You must run into Kuroi in Northern Japan (Namely the last tab all the way to the right) in a promotion or a paid promotion. Until this happens (You need about 30000 - 40000 fans to do this) visiting Lucky Rabbit will result in a literal in and out.

You then need to go to Lucky Rabbit, and then they'll tell you about BK Maniac, making it visitable.

There's a second collorary to this though - Some items at BK Maniac are ALSO second time around (or more) items, so it's actually entirely possible (although I haven't done it yet) to end up with BOTH BK Maniac and Lucky Rabbit as visitable but pointless (as they enter and eject you without as much as another word) trips.

Until you finish a game with BK unlocked and items purchased from the store, the 'second time around items' won't unlock, and you'll be stuck with a very strange game.

You don't have this oddity if Kotori's Headset (At 765000 yen) is on sale (or you previously purchased it)

3. After playing Hyper mode and switching to Regular mode, ONE of the idols will retain their Hyper Vesperia Festival Combat scoring and attack routines if you face off against her in the IA regional after facing off against her immediately previously in Hyper Vesperia. (I haven't seen it happen with anyone else yet.)

This idiol is Yukiho, and god help you if you run across her. Ever seen someone burst on a 33% bar? Well, don't do hyper Vesperia then, or be unfortunate enough to invoke this bug. Did I mention she's a cheating, cheating little minx?

4. It is entirely possible to gain Producer rank 10 on just FIVE games - One good ending (or perfect ending, although good luck on that one) and 4 S rank hyper runs.

Not that there's any point to blitz to Producer Rank 10 if you're trying to unlock everything since you'll get there anyway, considering you're in it for the long haul if you're trying this, but you know.

5. Hyper runs pay a lot more, but require more play, since the only thing you can get the idols to do themselves is lessons, and run the risk of a lost week, which can be a make or break. Regular runs are easier on your heart though, unless you get glitched.

Anyway, feel free to add extra notes, or ask further questions, particularly if you tried to run Hyper as early as humanly possible, like I did.

------

Additional notes:

6. Kami Summer is an incredibly STRANGE song for Festival use. As a audition song, it's fine. As a Festival Song in the PS3 version, it'll give the opposition a SEVEN SECOND HEAD START. Yes, depending what you're doing, you can give the opponent from a 1/5th to a full 2/3 of a voltage bar head start!

It also ends so late that if you time it just right, the burst can still be effect (only just) when they announce the results!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:23:44 PM by Setsuna »
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
Re: Things I learnt by playing Idolm@ster 2 PS3...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 05:29:23 PM »
More trivia that you most likely won't know unless you play a lot of the game in an extreme game setting.

1. On the PS3 version, the Headset which NORMALLY gets unlocked actualy require you to do the following on top of getting the store open (See the above post):

- Visit BK 3 or more times.
- Unlock 50% or more of the catalog.

Now in most cases, you won't even notice, but it is in fact quite possible to buy out BK in just 2 trips (you'll need about 8.5 million to try it though!), which once again gives you the weird scenario where you can visit BOTH stores, and yet be completely unable to do anything in Lucky Rabbit until you drop by the empty BK store.

The Owner will send an text message (this is new from the Xbox 360 version) after you finish your third shopping trip that Lucky Rabbit has finally restocked, and you can finally buy the headset.

2- After communication events can sap the morale the group, persumably because it docks some of the morale as a cost of generating extra event. This is only noticible when you go down from the top tier to normal, even if you answer everything correctly.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:36:00 PM by Setsuna »
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Things I learnt by playing Idolm@ster 2 PS3...
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »

1. On the PS3 version, the Headset which NORMALLY gets unlocked actualy require you to do the following on top of getting the store open (See the above post):

- Visit BK 3 or more times.
- Unlock 50% or more of the catalog.

Now in most cases, you won't even notice, but it is in fact quite possible to buy out BK in just 2 trips (you'll need about 8.5 million to try it though!), which once again gives you the weird scenario where you can visit BOTH stores, and yet be completely unable to do anything in Lucky Rabbit until you drop by the empty BK store.

The Owner will send an text message (this is new from the Xbox 360 version) after you finish your third shopping trip that Lucky Rabbit has finally restocked, and you can finally buy the headset.

2- After communication events can sap the morale the group, persumably because it docks some of the morale as a cost of generating extra event. This is only noticible when you go down from the top tier to normal, even if you answer everything correctly.

I've been saving for the headset forever.  :'( I miss getting random drop items from my fans.