puppies-volcanic
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Stop Piracy Online Act and im@s requests/recording.  (Read 10436 times)

kaeru-P

• Apprentice
  • No need to grow those chihaya, Small bre-*SMACK*
    • View Profile
Re: The Stop Piracy Online Act and im@s requests/recording.
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2012, 01:15:42 PM »
Without COPYRIGHTED! videos, I wouldn't have found Kalafina, or AKB48, or THE iDOLM@STER, or Resonance of Fate, or a huge variety of other video games and musical artists I've come across through related videos and other such things, that I've then gone on to buy because of the YouTube videos.

Enforcing bills that make filesharing sites illegal won't do anything to stop it. The pirates will just get even smarter in the ways that they go about their business, and anybody who knew anything about the internet would understand that.

I think it was Valve that said something along the lines of, "the way to stop piracy isn't to ban it, it's to offer a better service than the pirates".

This Totally, this. This is what I have said also, you CAN'T eradicate Piracy the best way is to use that as a clutch for improvement and to beat them in their own game. But unfortunately "this" people lack the necessary "grey cells" int their brains to process it. All the more the fact about Foreign products who have not yet been licensed under the berne law are hard to come by locally just the most obvious example are The Idolm@ster, J-pop artists. A good example would be the Visual Kei Genre in J-Rock, Im a listener myself but if their videos had not made it to youtube you'd think they would gain worldwide attention? Maybe so but it wouldn't have a decent impact as they would now, the fact they get requests to tour around Europe and America. Another blatant example would be K-Pop, the K-wave owes its spread to the internet, surging from PVs of K-artists getting posted on Tumblr, Facebook and other social sites. You could also put Vocloid among the list. If you are aware of Ryukushi/7th Expansion, the maker of Higurashi no naku koro ni/Umineko no naku koro ni. He even personally EVEN knows that there people translating his Visual Novel and for the FACT he encourages it, all thanks to the internet.

I personally believe Namco IS aware of the english Im@s community the possiblity of just stumbling upon us is just too high for the fact that The Idolm@ster is an English title, more or less that stumbling upon us is quite likely infact just by googling Im@s the wikia and this forum shows up almost immediately. Having an expanded market means more profit for them, I doubt that would be a bad issue, if they do find it troubling that could only mean one thing the gaijin-syndrome, but I Highly doubt that as Namco is already in the international level of business and I have more or less respect for them. Again thanks to the internet they gained additional profit.

I also remember my professor from my Professionalism class, its a class about IP and business in the creative business/entertainment business and even HE finds piracy in some way or form DOES actually help companies, Im sure he was just trying to be professional in the classroom but Im pretty sure he knows well that Piracy can benefit.

And all this leads to conclussion that those people behind SOPA/ACTA are either both just stupid or just plain greedy all the while being lazy or simply both.

Here's a good vid explaining ACTA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAkpsRLESWk

Another one about a UK student Extradited just recently and how hypocritical these media companies are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUlQGdP7Wow&feature=player_embedded

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:19:47 PM by kaeru-P »

baruhara

• 玉の緒よ、絶えなば絶えね、ながらへば、しのぶることの、よはりもぞする
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
If these bills pass, I will be expecting them to shut down libraries after it. Libraries have existed for centuries, as a place where people can read books - for free! - without having to buy them, and yet that has had little to no effect on the purchasing of books.

But, if these moguls are correct, and if listening to music on YouTube for free will apparently collapse the music entertainment industry, then reading books for free in a library will evidently result in the collapse of the literacy entertainment industry. The only logical conclusion is to shut down libraries.
s e m p e r ・ e g o ・ a u d i t o r ・ t a n t e m ・ ?
http://psnprofiles.com/Voragoras
https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?gamertag=Sertoria

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
If you are aware of Ryukushi/7th Expansion, the maker of Higurashi no naku koro ni/Umineko no naku koro ni. He even personally EVEN knows that there people translating his Visual Novel and for the FACT he encourages it, all thanks to the internet.

Poor example, his works are translated by fans and yes he does encourage it, but when he gets the chance to make a dime with an 'official' translation that has parts removed because they can't get the rights, he does it.

kaeru-P

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:49 AM »
Poor example, his works are translated by fans and yes he does encourage it, but when he gets the chance to make a dime with an 'official' translation that has parts removed because they can't get the rights, he does it.

Well I was making a point on how the internet helps advertise thus making Foreign IPs much more known, and possibly improving sales the translation part was just for a point that he has acknowledged the english community for his works, considering how Indie his works are or Doujin if you may and I didn't mean he was trying to profit out of the translation or anything similar (Personally in the creative industry I personally would maximize ways to gain profits as much as possible, its annoying but people have to earn and there are legalities to follow of course, I learned that the hard way in my Professionalism class) :D.

Although I pretty much was multitasking when I posted that so its kinda a little bit mixed up :P  ;D

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »
ZUN might have been better. ^^
He knows it's not all about the profit.

kaeru-P

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 05:38:26 PM »
ZUN might have been better. ^^
He knows it's not all about the profit.

Actually ZUN himself keeps a pretty tight leash, If its Doujin materials its pretty much okay and he forbids selling it on International Market places, He'd have a hard time managing his rights (Berne Law) Considering He is a One-man team :P. He actually Turned down 2 anime projects for touhou last year, one was ufotable becuase he was completely uninformed, which shortly thereafter he made a revision to his IP managing that any Animation/3d game must be registered with him first, as one could take cue the aforementioned products are highly profitable.

I'd Like to think our fellow favorite makers are down-to-earth people too, but business is business, without a consistent profit which you can get from managing you IP your business will most likely not stay in a "maturity stage" for long and soon thereafter reach a "death stage". Even profiting business, businesses that actually have consistent income have the same amount of risk of reaching the "death stage" in just a short matter of time, given the right factors. So profits is just as important as catering to your fans If not how would you'd be able to please them more with your works.

Although it is Indeed ZUN is much more of a clear example.

I can actually explain further, since this is for the sake of SOPA/ACTA issue alsoi. Copyright is not the right to copy. The Modern copyright law owes itself to the Statute of Anne (http://www.copyrighthistory.com/anne.html)
"An Act for the Encouragement of Learning, by Vesting the Copies of Printed Books in the Authors or Purchasers of such Copies, during the Times therein mentioned." meaning it granted authors the full ownership/monopolization of their products so they can profit from it and at the same time continue to make new works for the encouragement of learning.

Which was my point profits aren't really bad
Profiting from your own work to make more basically.

Imo, maximizing profits isn't bad, as that is part of well working and having a business, but there is a fine line between "maximizing" and "Abusing." which the SOPA/ACTA makers are doing...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:42:35 PM by kaeru-P »

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 06:12:58 AM »
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84379991/Mpaa-Hotfile-Summary

Although you'd think the topic was dead, nope, not so.

Apparently we're seeing another phase in this saga, by the looks of it.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

tsukihime

• Apprentice
  • Leaving for the Stage
    • View Profile
    • Jellywish
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2012, 12:28:39 PM »
ACTA isn't completely over yet, but hey what is this? Look up CISPA, it's SOPA reborn.

satty

• Producer
  • Haha, time for best Tank Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »
Oh boy. Not again.

I think that laws should be clearly stated on what they should be doing, and not use words that can imply a lot of things.
--Under Construction---

Daverost

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »
ACTA isn't completely over yet, but hey what is this? Look up CISPA, it's SOPA reborn.

And they think it'll work the second time why...? I mean everyone kinda figured out the first time that backing SOPA was political career suicide and that it was a stupid policy in general.

Doing some quick reading is says that CISPA is more likely to be backed by companies than to condemn it like with SOPA, but surely people aren't that stupid, right? ...Right? Ah, who am I kidding, we're screwed.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2012, 06:15:26 AM »
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/feeds/embedding-videos-can-infringe-copyright-according-to-the-mpaa-are-your-embeds-safe/4730

An update from a few days ago.

This isn't directly related to the law, but this would most definitely be one of those 'You need to pay attention' things, particularly if you like grabbing youtube videos and embedding them at your blog or things like that.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.