Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Stop Piracy Online Act and im@s requests/recording.  (Read 11048 times)

Elixir

• View Profile
Re: The Stop Piracy Online Act and im@s requests/recording.
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
Why do American politicians tunnel vision as hard as possible?

So sick of this shit. Stalling till Feb. isn't going to do anything.

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »

Must black out my comment. Lol.

Taking sides is something no politican wants to do. If they can dance around an important issue, they will for as long as they want.

I have to admit, some sites of mine did get creative with their blackout thing making the whole situation seem humorous.

kaeru-P

• Apprentice
  • No need to grow those chihaya, Small bre-*SMACK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »
It seems Tokyotosho joined in as well arghhh Can't get my torrents atm, well there's nyaatorrents but still this SOPA is getting out of hand, this is almost just as ridiculous as that "Anime Law" that spiked interest from japan *cough*Ishihara*cough*. To top it off something ridiculous as this IS in the process of being considered to pass. US already has already gained infamous notoriety around the world for the last decade and now this? Plus OWS just struck last year and they want to rouse the people even further?!? Seriously I just lose my internet for a few hours I personally go nuts :P
Now think of the millions of people having their internet condensed and censored which to I can equate that its practically the same without having internet.

Elixir

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »
Must black out my comment. Lol.

Taking sides is something no politican wants to do. If they can dance around an important issue, they will for as long as they want.

I have to admit, some sites of mine did get creative with their blackout thing making the whole situation seem humorous.

Ahahahahajhjhasfhj;fa;jlhf;ldfjl;:dfs;kldfskfdf[@p[@[@[@
2q[3@r[@q2r@[
3[2@
45^[23^-3\\\
[[[[[[[[]

/ds\fff/cxv_?

What
are
you
talking
about.

Help me - I'm melting. SOPA is entirely about taking sides and as linked above, people evidently are. They have, and are continuing to, disregard entire public response in favour for trying again in February. Are you saying this ironically?

animagic4u

• Producer
  • #seiyuusports
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »
Help me - I'm melting. SOPA is entirely about taking sides and as linked above, people evidently are. They have, and are continuing to, disregard entire public response in favour for trying again in February. Are you saying this ironically?

Yes. It's weird that all of a sudden they are moral guardians when usually on other more serious topics no one wants to admit that they are taking a stand.

I like google's slogan for the thing...well maybe it's not google's but it's out there.

End piracy, not liberty

I like it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:19:09 PM by animagic4u »

chikorita157

• わたし、気になります!
    • View Profile
    • Chikorita157's Anime Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »
Quite surprised there is no protest here for obvious reasons, but I did stage a strike on my blog by replacing my homepage with a page urging action (although, not a total blackout). Still, these two acts are horrible in a way and it effects everything.

(Also, MPAA are jerks... thinking the blackouts are a joke... but they will get the last laugh since three more co-sponsors dropped their support for SOPA)

mallory627

• Desu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 02:38:12 AM »
My mom as well as my sister and all my friends say that it won't be passed because it's not something anyone would want.
I'd have to say that I'm a new Fangirl for Hokuto Ijuiin and I'm proud of it!!!

iCONM@STER

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 03:26:29 AM »
So, this irks me as much as it does for everyone. I strongly disapprove of these comically absurd pieces of proposed legislation, as does everyone else here. Truism.

Anyway, I am mainly posting to share a video that I found interesting, in regards.

Cael K.

• Producer
  • Dark Slayer Style!
    • View Profile
    • Memories of Melon Pan
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 04:24:01 AM »
Anyone remember Sony's approach to DRM in like, 2005?

In 2005, Sony's approach to protecting their audio CDs involving installing a rootkit on Windows machines. For those you who don't know what a rootkit is, it's a program that when installs, finds its way into your computer with administrator access, and sits there doing its thing with the highest level of access on your computer. More or less, they were willing to hack your computer to stop piracy - purchase of the CD was sufficient cause to suspect its piracy.

Honestly, the times are pushing these guys out, and rather than roll with scientific achievement, they want it to stop. Unfortunately, they're pretty huge, fat, gluttonous giants at this point, and they can keep bleching out rotten lard for quite a while. I am reminded of the 4-1 boss in Demon's Souls I just fought.

We're not talking really about rootkitting the consumer's computers any more, we're talking about having the internet not function as intended. There have been a number of computer security experts who have spoken out about this, who are actively involved in the development of internet protocols that are either in use, or slated for use. I think it should be a sign when your best and brightest minds are telling you what a bad idea this is. I think it should also be a sign when decision makers resist listening to them too.

EDIT: So, I actually went and read the bill. Here's how I'm understanding it, someone tell me if I'm wrong.
1. An accuser can obtain against the accused (domestic or foreign) a court order requiring that the site not be accessible via search engine lookup from the United States and that payment services from advertisement companies and credit card companies (but not limited to those two) be stopped, without representation of the accused.
2. The accused need not be aware of these proceedings until the order has been served and a notification given to him.
3. After receiving the notification, the accused has some number of days to file a counter notification. Here he must prove his intent was not to infringe, thus burden of proof lies on the accused.
4. Foreign parties so accused, should they wish to oppose the order, are subject to the laws and judicial processes of the United States.
5. The accuser is not responsible for any damages to the accused that are the result of the accuser obtaining the order and his attempt (successful or non) to enforce it, unless his malicious intent can be proven.

... That sounds incredibly dumb. Where do they get this stuff?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:41:52 AM by Cael K. »
Cael's Im@s Ranking: Azusa, Yumeko, Tomomi, Haruka

How to get stuff from Japan without causing things to explode in a shower of sparks and misery: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

Memories of Melon Pan: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/
Translations: http://www.mediafire.com/?hzc4b0jy7pwll

Currently translating (text only):
S(mile)ING! (English version, singable) - http://d.hatena.ne.jp/caelk/20140911/1410422445
Neue Green, Volume 3 - Will start sometime. ^_^;;
Rockin' Girl, Volume 1 (Chapters 1-5) - http://www.mediafire.com/?z00ffkvg5ocg11e

Naryoril

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 09:06:14 AM »

SOPA were Thes guys, so in other words the republicans
PIPA by Patrick Leahy, democratic senator of Vermont, it was passed by these guys so in other words the democrats

this really makes me sad and scared, that all (well, both) americian parties are involved in this shit... i was convinced it was the work of the republicans

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »
Anyone remember Sony's approach to DRM in like, 2005?

In 2005, Sony's approach to protecting their audio CDs involving installing a rootkit on Windows machines. For those you who don't know what a rootkit is, it's a program that when installs, finds its way into your computer with administrator access, and sits there doing its thing with the highest level of access on your computer. More or less, they were willing to hack your computer to stop piracy - purchase of the CD was sufficient cause to suspect its piracy.

Honestly, the times are pushing these guys out, and rather than roll with scientific achievement, they want it to stop. Unfortunately, they're pretty huge, fat, gluttonous giants at this point, and they can keep bleching out rotten lard for quite a while. I am reminded of the 4-1 boss in Demon's Souls I just fought.

We're not talking really about rootkitting the consumer's computers any more, we're talking about having the internet not function as intended. There have been a number of computer security experts who have spoken out about this, who are actively involved in the development of internet protocols that are either in use, or slated for use. I think it should be a sign when your best and brightest minds are telling you what a bad idea this is. I think it should also be a sign when decision makers resist listening to them too.

EDIT: So, I actually went and read the bill. Here's how I'm understanding it, someone tell me if I'm wrong.
1. An accuser can obtain against the accused (domestic or foreign) a court order requiring that the site not be accessible via search engine lookup from the United States and that payment services from advertisement companies and credit card companies (but not limited to those two) be stopped, without representation of the accused.
2. The accused need not be aware of these proceedings until the order has been served and a notification given to him.
3. After receiving the notification, the accused has some number of days to file a counter notification. Here he must prove his intent was not to infringe, thus burden of proof lies on the accused.
4. Foreign parties so accused, should they wish to oppose the order, are subject to the laws and judicial processes of the United States.
5. The accuser is not responsible for any damages to the accused that are the result of the accuser obtaining the order and his attempt (successful or non) to enforce it, unless his malicious intent can be proven.

And that there is why the cenorship provisions are actually a small problem with the bill.

It's simply put, an econimic attack bill. It authorises the use of economic force and this force is not trivial (Basically asset seizure of any items held in a US based company) and could destroy companies. Being locked out of your operating funds for a week is a big event.

... And we want to hand the trigger to companies that well, only have to claim within reason that the target is IP infringing?

I will remind those who haven't studied history that several major wars and conflicts were conducted using similar tactics.

As I said - this is one of those 'You really sure it'll come out in the wash?' moments, because censorship is actually the less dangerous of the options with this bill.

The fun part is the fact I'm actually an IP holder (I maintain my own written world, with characters and what have you) and I can actually invoke the economic attack aspects of the bill if I can reasonably prove it.

And I'm a relative nobody.

That should worry people. If the only defense you have is "We think the other guy won't abuse it" you are in very, very big trouble.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

Setsuna

• Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 10:11:26 PM »
http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/justice-department-charges-leaders-of-megaupload-with-widespread-online-copyright-infringement

Please consider the above.

I'll explain the specifics in a few days, and the consequences of the above (if the inditement is accepted as is by the US court system) which will prove to be rather... enlightening.

And this is before SOPA comes into play, boys and girls.
Games are streamed at www.hitbox.tv/Aliciana/
No focus, any platform, suggestions welcome

Currently accepting Platinum Stars requests: http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2575.0

http://forum.project-imas.com/index.php?topic=2415 - My technical notes on good quality recording.

zeda12123

• Dan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 11:45:40 PM »
A moment of silence for megaupload...

satty

• Producer
  • Haha, time for best Tank Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
I don't like SOPA, not one bit. I think the principle is great, but the execution is just like taking a chainsaw to perform surgery. And reading some of the posts here, especially with Cael's and Setsuna's, frankly, scares me.
--Under Construction---

Sunflorazumarill

• Haruka Miki Chihaya Fan
    • View Profile
    • Pokémon Peace Squad Central
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »
I'm worried about SOPA myself. I need to know now. What are the chances of it passing?